ROOM SERVICE FEE

TOURMAN857

On 1/25/2023 at 5:59 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

You would have to imagine they'd waive the fee

It sounds like he was self-isolating and did not report his Covid to the medical staff. I was recently on the Diamond Princess and had Covid (discovered by the medical staff as I thought I had food poisoning), I was quarantined and they brought all my meals to me free (from their room service menu) and provided free laundry service.

18 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

I booked Concierge - and one of the reasons I did so was for the expanded RS menu, ,which was hyped as a perk.

I do not believe there has ever been an expanded room service menu for Concierge class, it has been for Aqua class and Suites for at least the last 2 years.

14 minutes ago, rachiem said:

Strange question, but if we have the continental breakfast (as we only ever have toast) can we also order mimosa's without incurring a charge?

My understanding is anything not on the NC continental breakfast menu will incur the RS delivery charge and that would be for drinks like a mimosa and Bloody Marys.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Isn't that obvious?  Lobster is expensive and people fill up on it in the dining room. Instead of eliminating the lobster, they're just charging for a second.

I didn't ask that, I asked why is there a gratuity charge on top of the price for the second lobster when your waiter is already serving you anyway and getting a cut of the daily gratuity charge. Can't make it any clearer than that.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I didn't ask that, I asked why is there a gratuity charge on top of the price for the second lobster when your waiter is already serving you anyway and getting a cut of the daily gratuity charge. Can't make it any clearer than that.

Because there's a gratuity on every extra charge food or drink item ordered on the ship. There's a gratuity on the $1 upcharge for a drink. There's a gratuity for specialty dining. There's a gratuity hidden in AI fares, and I believe there's now a gratuity added to drink packages. Someone's already serving you in all those situations as well.

Not saying that's right, but that's the reason. A second lobster tail, or extra charge entrée, isn't any different from other items with a gratuity added.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I do not believe there has ever been an expanded room service menu for Concierge class, it has been for Aqua class and Suites for at least the last 2 years.

It's listed on the amenity grid.  Though that grid hasn't been updated in a few years now.  It does say expanded room service breakfast menu.  Either way, it was an amenity at one point in time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

It's listed on the amenity grid.  Though that grid hasn't been updated in a few years now.  It does say expanded room service breakfast menu.  Either way, it was an amenity at one point in time.

sigh...the amenity is that the room service menu includes more options

4 hours ago, rachiem said:

Strange question, but if we have the continental breakfast (as we only ever have toast) can we also order mimosa's without incurring a charge?

no. That's a drink. If you have a package, you fetch it yourself in order to not be charged.  If you order it from room service, you will be charged.  This is has ALWAYS been the case.  If you drink a soda from the mini-fridge (cooler really) you get charged. Even if you have a drink package.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Yes, there IS an expanded RS menu for breakfast in concierge. 

I have a more simplistic approach.   If I want the convenience of room service and there is a fee for it, then I am paying for that convenience.   If I do not want to pay for the convenience then I do not order. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I have a more simplistic approach.   If I want the convenience of room service and there is a fee for it, then I am paying for that convenience.   If I do not want to pay for the convenience then I do not order. 

Precisely 

11 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

no. That's a drink. If you have a package, you fetch it yourself in order to not be charged.  If you order it from room service, you will be charged.  This is has ALWAYS been the case.  If you drink a soda from the mini-fridge (cooler really) you get charged. Even if you have a drink package.

We have always ordered a drink from room service with breakfast and have never been charged? Suite, Aqua and Concierge.

3 hours ago, CU64 said:

Precisely 

So let’s say Celebrity decides to charge a quarter to enter the toilets on the decks.  If you want the convenience of ‘going’ without returning to your room, you’ll pay for that convenience.  If you do not wish to pay for that convenience, then you will simply retune to your cabin to do your business.

Simplistic approach, yes indeed.  

19 minutes ago, manmachine said:

So let’s say Celebrity decides to charge a quarter to enter the toilets on the decks.  If you want the convenience of ‘going’ without returning to your room, you’ll pay for that convenience.  If you do not wish to pay for that convenience, then you will simply retune to your cabin to do your business.

Simplistic approach, yes indeed.  

Or go for a swim.

9 hours ago, CU64 said:

Yes, there IS an expanded RS menu for breakfast in concierge. 

Where is this stated? The app shows three Room Services, Room Service, Aqua Class room service and Suites room service, not a Concierge class room service listed. 

Also nothing about any expanded room service for Concierge on the Celebrity website, see below:

image.thumb.png.d0accb040d8d72a4c899ed3e9c2a8c87.png

13 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

a cocktail?

We have been able to order a cocktail with breakfast in a Sky suite that's included in our PDP, not sure about other non-suite categories. We did this last year on the Reflection in a SS.

41 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We have been able to order a cocktail with breakfast in a Sky suite that's included in our PDP, not sure about other non-suite categories. We did this last year on the Reflection in a SS.

we have always been charged for anything from the bar (Aqua)

4 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

we have always been charged for anything from the bar (Aqua)

I was surprised with our HAL cruise last year from Venice, we had their standard drinks package and in a nonsuite veranda. A one night when my DW was not feeling good we had the MDR diner delivered to our cabin with a glass of wine from the drink package and we were not charged for the glasses of wine.

3 minutes ago, rachiem said:

Mimosas

Unless you are in a suite, you will pay for the Mimosas plus a delivery charge and tips. If you have a drinks package, go to nearest open bar and order them to take back to your cabin.

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Unless you are in a suite, you will pay for the Mimosas plus a delivery charge and tips. If you have a drinks package, go to nearest open bar and order them to take back to your cabin.

We've never been charged in Concierge, Aqua or Suites? Maybe just lucky

1 minute ago, rachiem said:

We've never been charged in Concierge, Aqua or Suites? Maybe just lucky

Everything with Celebrity has changed in the last few months. Even if the Mimosa is a no charge, you will still be charged the $9.95 + 18% tip for delivering it to you.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

With all this I bet that  these issues  and X Policies  change again in the  near term future. So for folks with 2023, 2024 and 2025 cruises booked, just expect it.

I called last night to learn some things on drink packages and Concierge.

Was told that Concierge included an expanded RS menu but with the  delivery cost.

I asked about what constitutes a smoothie vs frozen cocktail  on drink packages. Was told its only the smoothees in Aqua cafe that are not included,

I asked if premium coffees are in the classic package and the same in Premium and was told it was the same, and as important served in MDR and other venues--RCL when I wanted a premium coffee in MDR (  was told I could not get them. Only place on ship was teh coffee cafe which was a miniature El Bacio Cafe, without the home feeling and long lines to get that premium coffee.

With Crown Royal no longer being served on X I'll probaby just go for the classic package till the  next change comes along, and pay extra for the wine I like on a per glass basis (or bring a few bottles on board now that we can bring 4 bottles per cabin-with the drink package perhaps theiy waive the corkage  fee also working for an extra gratuity from us which is a no brainer excpet for amount.

Costs are rising, especially food costs. If if their debt is variable, that cost is increasing and thats a big deal for a capotal intensive cruise line.

Eggs, and cruise ships use a lot, were 3x last years prices at end of year. Consumer Price Index is muted because say if a rib eye stake was your fancy an dit goes up in price , the process assunes you switch to hamburgers  to save money. In the real world, where X switches to Sirlion steak it custs their cash flow food costs.

Regarless, in the end the customer pays for it all, whether or not ther eis a delayed price incresae.

RCL "consolidated" is looking for a certain% of profit on sales to achieve return on investment and attract new investors not just for bonds but for equity.

If the customer does no like it, those customers, X is implying,  can leave. There are plenty of folks here that will look at price differences at the different booking levels and make thse choices on their intrepretation of value. We all know that game. In stock market terms its called looking for price inefficiencies. A bargain, relatively speaking.

Cruising however, is no longer the bargain it once was. Look at all the money going to entertainment and the cost and design of ships. Remember its a floating resort--its no longer just  a transport from one port to another with a pool and meals in one venue, plus buffet,  and little else to do