Japan testing update 18 Jan 2023 for vaxed pax

safarijm

Interesting change ….what timestamp protocol is acceptable?

Fully Vaccinated Guest Embarkation Testing Requirements

All embarking fully vaccinated or up-to-date guests must hold proof of a valid PCR negative test result performed within 72 hours of embarkation OR a valid Antigen negative test result performed within 48 hours of embarkation.

• The PCR test must be administered by a laboratory.
  • The Antigen test can either be performed by a third party, i.e. laboratory, pharmacy, telehealth advisor OR guests can perform a self-test at home where they must take a photograph of the negative result with a time stamp.
  • If guests choose to have a PCR or an Antigen test by a third party, the certificate must contain the guest’s name (as shown on the cruise ticket), the date of the test, and the result. You must provide digital or printed proof upon embarkation.

I’m not sure that this is a Japan specific requirement as we have a similar requirement for an Cairns, Australia embarkation cruise in mid February on Silver Muse

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING REQUIREMENTS

Guests Embarkation Testing Requirements
All embarking fully vaccinated or up-to-date guests must hold proof of a valid PCR negative test result performed within 48 hours of embarkation OR a valid Antigen negative test result performed within 24 hours of embarkation.
• The Antigen test can either be performed by a third party, i.e. laboratory, pharmacy, telehealth advisor OR guests can perform a self-test at home where they must take a photograph of the negative result with a time stamp.
• If guests choose to have a PCR or an Antigen test by a third party, the certificate must contain the guest’s name (as shown on the cruise ticket), the date of the test, and the result. You must provide digital or printed proof upon embarkation.

Unvaccinated Guest Testing Requirements
Unvaccinated Guests (we only accept unvaccinated individuals from 0 to 11 years old) must present a valid Antigen or PCR negative test result performed within 24 hours of embarkation:
• The Antigen test can either be performed by a third party, i.e. laboratory, pharmacy, telehealth advisor OR guests can perform a self-test at home where they must take a photograph of the negative result with a time stamp.
• If guests choose to have a PCR or an Antigen test by a third party, the certificate must contain the guest’s name (as shown on the cruise ticket), the date of the test, and the result. You must provide digital or printed proof upon embarkation.

• PLEASE NOTE: All guests aged from 0 to 11 years old must complete a Covid-19 test.

Silversea will NOT be providing pier-side testing for guests; as such, it is imperative that you arrive to the pier with your individual negative test result. If you arrive for embarkation without a valid negative test result, you will be denied boarding

Edited by Stickman1990

4 minutes ago, safarijm said:

Interesting change ….what timestamp protocol is acceptable?

Fully Vaccinated Guest Embarkation Testing Requirements

All embarking fully vaccinated or up-to-date guests must hold proof of a valid PCR negative test result performed within 72 hours of embarkation OR a valid Antigen negative test result performed within 48 hours of embarkation.

• The Antigen test can either be performed by a third party, i.e. laboratory, pharmacy, telehealth advisor OR guests can perform a self-test at home where they must take a photograph of the negative result with a time stamp.
  • If guests choose to have a PCR or an Antigen test by a third party, the certificate must contain the guest’s name (as shown on the cruise ticket), the date of the test, and the result. You must provide digital or printed proof upon embarkation.

At least you don’t have to go chasing around for a pharmacy.  You can use your own antigen test at home (airport or in your hotel) and photograph.  Test yourself 48 hours prior to embarkation.  That is, board on Wednesday, test on Monday.  The exact number of hours isn’t critical.

• Like 1

The wording after “Or” is what I was referencing. I look at this as I use any antigen home test and then take a photo of the test apparatus showing only 1 line meaning. Neg and the time stamp from my phone on the picture I take is acceptable……

41 minutes ago, safarijm said:

The wording after “Or” is what I was referencing. I look at this as I use any antigen home test and then take a photo of the test apparatus showing only 1 line meaning. Neg and the time stamp from my phone on the picture I take is acceptable……

Yes.

6 hours ago, safarijm said:

Phew..... I thought for a second they wanted proof of a test you've just done for yourself and not by someone else a week ago you brought with you  and a date stamp of some sort in the photo!

All sounds a bit dubious that! 

Luckily I have a fair few antigen testers which if that is needed, I'm all set....... But that all sounds too obviously easy to bypass if it is as it reads?  (I'm not referring to me - but to every guest - some could be knowingly positive but show someone elses results. Can't be that simple and open to abuse surely?

Not seen this anywhere.

Still showing this on my.silversea under health requirements:

Silversea Vaccination Status Requirements

• Fully Vaccinated Guests: All embarking crew and guests aged 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least two weeks prior to embarkation. Only guests fully vaccinated with approved WHO vaccines (see here) will be permitted to board. A copy of your vaccination certificate must be uploaded in advance of your travels. In addition, in order to board the ship, the vaccination certificate must be printed in two copies and presented at the terminal during the check-in and embarkation process.

If its not as I suggested and you cant do the test yourself, not sure how easy it's going to be getting a late test done in Osaka!

29 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Just what we need with all the air issues!!!

I know. It just make you question if everything is all worth the hassle.

The timescales given the amount of time it takes to get there makes it impossible to get a test prior to departing.

It begs the question, is this a Japanese government stipulation (which SS has no control over,) or if this is SS demanding it at this late stage.

A while back, I avoided cruises starting from Athens because they insisted a negative test within 24 hours of boarding where everywhere else had no requirements on the testing front.

Greece for me is a shortish hop home … but only after a forced hotel stay. I really don’t fancy this scenario for this voyage. I know from experience, potentially things go wrong. If it happened once the cruise started, at least it is bearable and you’ll still see stuff and eat well. The thought of arriving at the port and denied boarding, makes me question if some gambles are actually worth the risk. Obviously if you board, it is. If you don’t…….

Look at SS website>healthy sailing>asia protocols>Japan protocols and you will see that this seems to be correct - you need to test 72 or 48 hrs pre-embarkation even if fully vaxxed but are trusted to do it yourself, presumably using your phone for the photo.

https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer-25.html

HOWEVER, in true SS confusing fashion, a few paragraphs later it says that at home antigen testing has to be verified by a third party - this may only apply to non up to date vaxxed pax but that is far from clear.

• Like 1

I suggest you don’t start over analysing this information and making up “what if” scenarios.  On a cruise last month, the roll calls were going overboard with panic for months, but testing was very easy at a local chemist in the end.

Do an antigen test before you leave home if you want to, and pack a few test kits to take away with you.  Do the test 48 hours prior to boarding, whether at the airport or a hotel, and take a photo of the result. Put the test on a newspaper with that day’s date showing if you want to be absolutely sure.  Simple.

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Look at SS website>healthy sailing>asia protocols>Japan protocols and you will see that this seems to be correct - you need to test 72 or 48 hrs pre-embarkation even if fully vaxxed but are trusted to do it yourself, presumably using your phone for the photo.

https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer-25.html

HOWEVER, in true SS confusing fashion, a few paragraphs later it says that at home antigen testing has to be verified by a third party - this may only apply to non up to date vaxxed pax but that is far from clear.

Cheers for the link. I certainly didn't doubt it was online somewhere, just didn't see it.

I think its fair to make the assumption the home testing is fine, but it needs to be via video. The photo bit is a bit of a nonsense as I'd suggested above. You need a certificate... and not one you've printed yourself! 🤣

The timescales mean I cannot test before making the long flight and will need to do so in Osaka. Hopefully that's still a thing and done easily.  Having coughed up for a second night, I was hoping to use the day to sightsee not looking for a testing agency! 😅

I've looked on the links for Japanese immigration and so far cant see anything suggesting its Japan stipulating it. Obviously SS dont want infected passengers onboard, but the cynic in me wonders if washing hands (no pun intended) before boarding makes that no longer a SS issue now but yours. I expect the quarantine accommodation wont come cheap.... and the savings on the food bill will be welcome! Every little helps! I suspect your flights will now be down to you as well?

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

I suggest you don’t start over analysing this information and making up “what if” scenarios.  On a cruise last month, the roll calls were going overboard with panic for months, but testing was very easy at a local chemist in the end.

Do an antigen test before you leave home if you want to, and pack a few test kits to take away with you.  Do the test 48 hours prior to boarding, whether at the airport or a hotel, and take a photo of the result. Put the test on a newspaper with that day’s date showing if you want to be absolutely sure.  Simple.

I get your point, though personal experience, a year ago, going overboard about tests saved us from our intended 16 night cruise, which ended up being a 25 night cruise.... It could have been a further two weeks had we not been testing and got "caught" when they did the tests the day before disembarkation. OK, so that may have actually been a bonus I know - I certainly wouldn't have complained, but the missus had to get back. Hence what appears to be over analysis and paranoia! It's not cool being being half way around the world and stranded if it were to go pear shaped (for the second SS cruise in a row!)

Edited by les37b

Hopefully these home test kits from Randox in the UK which you need to upload the registered test kit into their app then take a photo of the tester, will be acceptable. You get an email "fit to fly" digital certificate at the end of it..... No video involved. Hopefully these will be fine.

https://covid.randox.com/pre-departure/

£11 each if you collect

This all sounds odd to me. There is no additional requirement for fully vaccinated (3 not the 4 most Brits have had) passengers entering Japan. The UK Gov site is up to date and it makes no reference to pre-arrival testing.The SS site, and the Japanese immigration link, make it clear that fully vaccinated passengers do not need to do a test unless they are entering from Chinese territories.

The critical issue is completing their “fast track” admin process in advance, that’s all. No idea where the original poster got this info from. Until it appears on the official sites I wouldn’t worry about it.

The link to Silversea’s website shows the testing requirement under Silversea’s own health measures.  If you have had three vaccinations, Japan does not require testing to fly into Japan.

This part from the Silversea website:

OR guests can perform a self-test at home where they must take a photograph of the negative result with a time stamp.

clearly states that a photograph of your home test nets give result with a time stamp is entirely sufficient.  A proctored test is not required.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Port Power said:

The link to Silversea’s website shows the testing requirement under Silversea’s own health measures.  If you have had three vaccinations

Looks like it’s a Silversea requirement although east coast ports in Australia require a similar process for passengers embarking on those ports - so it does happen sometimes 

6 hours ago, Port Power said:

The link to Silversea’s website shows the testing requirement under Silversea’s own health measures.  If you have had three vaccinations, Japan does not require testing to fly into Japan.

This part from the Silversea website:

OR guests can perform a self-test at home where they must take a photograph of the negative result with a time stamp.

clearly states that a photograph of your home test nets give result with a time stamp is entirely sufficient.  A proctored test is not required.

Further.down it gives the actual requirements as JollyJones said.

Pre-Arrival Testing Option

• The Antigen test may be administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy OR a self-test at home, verified by a third party (telehealth provider, pharmacy or laboratory). The Certificate must contain the guest’s name (as shown on the cruise ticket), as well as date of test, and result. You must provide a digital or printed proof upon embarkation.
  • Whilst approved self-test kits are now readily available at pharmacies and drugstore chains, Silversea is pleased to make them available for order pre-cruise. We suggest that you order them at least one full week in advance of your sailing. These tests allow you to complete your pre-cruise test at home, or in any place of your choosing, with the help of live video supervision by a Certified Testing Guide.

Well, Les, I suspect we're back in Alice territory where it is necessary to believe two contradictory things at once.

My guess is the paragraph you've just quoted was the original, and SS have now added the changed requirements (self test/self photo) as an expedient way to say everyone must test but without causing the pax too much inconvenience.

But they haven't amended the earlier paragraph.

It's just soooo Silversea, we should be used to it by now.

But I could be completely wrong. Just glad my next cruise is out of Fort Lauderdale without these hassles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Well, Les, I suspect we're back in Alice territory where it is necessary to believe two contradictory things at once.

My guess is the paragraph you've just quoted was the original, and SS have now added the changed requirements (self test/self photo) as an expedient way to say everyone must test but without causing the pax too much inconvenience.

But they haven't amended the earlier paragraph.

It's just soooo Silversea, we should be used to it by now.

But I could be completely wrong. Just glad my next cruise is out of Fort Lauderdale without these hassles.

Well I suppose considering up to about 3 months ago, Japan was near shut for any tourism, we are still in a better place than then. I would think the conflicting info will be corrected soon. Well I hope it will….. ! I was going to call but no point. It will be clarified and highly improbable anyone in the offices would be any the wiser.

I’m waiting to here back from a Japanese contact to see if this is Japan or Silversea led.

My gut feeling here is it’s not directly Japan but  it is SS instruction to do so. Just an educated guess in the absence of any details which is based on what I believe is a fact for cruising around Japan.

Any cruise ship with infections above 10% of passengers (and crew?) is effectively cancelled and cannot berth. So it’s in SS interest to make sure it doesn’t get under way with cases on board at the beginning and limit that risk. I suspect that physical ceiling has signalled a need to do what has happened here. I’ve not seen any other CL guests on CC saying they now have to test. Of course this is early days and could change. It was suggested by the time we sail, these restrictions may be pulled. My gut feeling is it won’t be, particularly as the caution has probably been heightened because of China reopening.

Ridding responsibility towards guest who’ll now be pushed towards insurance instead of being taken care of probably is a huge factor too. As already mentioned, I expect anyone paying with a FCC won’t get anything back. Hopefully no one needs to put that to the test.

6 weeks to Barbados and thankfully no test.

It's definitely a Silverseas thing. A few people I know have already been to Japan and as vaccinated did not have to test arriving or leaving Japan.

But they do have a lengthy form to fill out before you arrive. Best to be done before you leave home as it was witnessed that people who had not filled out the form before arrival were sent to their own line with reports that they took 3+ hours to get through Immigration.

The only people requiring on arrival testing into Japan are those that can't produce a vaccination certificate for 3 doses or anyone who has been in China in the previous 7 days.

Here is the official announcement.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

8 hours ago, drron29 said:

It's definitely a Silverseas thing. A few people I know have already been to Japan and as vaccinated did not have to test arriving or leaving Japan.

But they do have a lengthy form to fill out before you arrive. Best to be done before you leave home as it was witnessed that people who had not filled out the form before arrival were sent to their own line with reports that they took 3+ hours to get through Immigration.

The only people requiring on arrival testing into Japan are those that can't produce a vaccination certificate for 3 doses or anyone who has been in China in the previous 7 days.

Here is the official announcement.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

I thought it might be the case. Though there have been anomalies similar (arrive Greece no test / board in Athens - test needed - which was a Greek requirement.)

if the case, I’d imagine it’s the fear of the 10% infection rate and denial of docking that’s led it. Just a hunch.

Looks like clearance from quarantine is a full 10 days. I’d suggested in previous post no boarding meant you’d be left to your own devices and expense, but think now we would be covered.

Re entry, I believe you can declare your status and upload docs prior to arrival which speeds this up. I believe there was something in place that’s now been updated but is the same thing effectively.

https://vjw-lp.digital.go.jp/en/

I think this is the one… but was just a quick search. 

Glad our flights weren’t with Cathay or we’d have needed a test to enter as well as another to board!

How about another variation...

I received a final electronic ticket yesterday for a Feb. 11 voyage out of Manilla. It said no testing would be required. Today a new one arrived, with no direction to reread the fine print, which happens to say this:

Fully Vaccinated Guests Embarkation Testing Requirements 

Guests embarking on a Silversea vessel who are fully vaccinated or up-to-date must hold proof of a valid PCR negative test result performed within 48 hours of embarkation OR a valid Antigen test result performed within 24 hours of embarkation.  

• IMPORTANT – a healthcare professional must administer the COVID-19 test in a healthcare facility.  

• The Certificate must contain the guest’s name (as shown on the cruise ticket), as well as the date of test, and result. You must provide digital or printed proof upon embarkation. 

So should I assume that "in a healthcare facility" rules out the video monitored antigen tests? What a pain! I was planning to test myself before leaving anyway, but this timeframe is really restrictive.

It appears to be port/country specific. We are on Dawn, embarking in Barbados in March, and there are no pre cruise tests required. I checked again today.

You only need a test for Japan if you have travelled via China, HK or the Philippines etc.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:50 PM, les37b said:

Hopefully these home test kits from Randox in the UK which you need to upload the registered test kit into their app then take a photo of the tester, will be acceptable. You get an email "fit to fly" digital certificate at the end of it..... No video involved. Hopefully these will be fine.

https://covid.randox.com/pre-departure/

£11 each if you collect

Well they were ok and after calling them to make sure of the process and certificate plus stock levels and also availability for the future. 

Given my departure isn’t until 23 April and would have to go and collect, I said to the rep I’d order next week so it gives me some time to sort collection. Told that was all fine and had plenty of stocks and no plans to discontinue.

This afternoon, I went on to order and test no longer showing.

So I call and get told they took off the site on Monday…… One working day after given assurances!

I don’t think there are any other UK suppliers selling… so I’m going to have to try find and book a clinic on my one sight seeing day in Osaka in the hope I’m ok to sail.

Just so stressful and annoying.

Panic over. I’ve managed to locate other UK providers. Just very annoyed with Randox after calling them 7 days ago to make sure there was no problems. 

Just hope this cruise will be worth it… never been so stressed out over a holiday!!