Chances of a Coastal Kitchen Reservation for Jr. Suite

We TRY to sail in a GS.  Wonder has usually been sold out for suites and when the occasional one comes open they are unbelievably expensive.  We booked a JS with our Prime free cruise offer last spring.  Got a great price.  We are sailing next month on Wonder.  Hoping for CK for a few nights.  Especially on our favorite nights.  We have had great luck getting CK in a JS in the past.  We will see on Wonder.  On Wonder, it is hard to find any suites (including JS) available.  Who pays those prices?????  We are moving to GS on Mariner for a while.  I can eat in specialty restaurants each day and never come close to the prices on Wonder.         

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I'd like to see that.  Do you have a link or web address for it?  Not that it really matters.

You can give a man an answer, or you can tell him to Google it.😉

Took about a minute

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-royal-suite-class

Screenshot_20230201-190029_Chrome.thumb.jpg.660d2addbd707b8af265493ac6a4a747.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I hope that you and everybody else noticed that I said, "I'd guess/think many JS customers are one and done".  So, yes of course, there are many of you that swear by the JS.  I had no intent nor did I show/type any animus towards those that like and repeat their choice of JSs.  

Thanks.  

21 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

That's why I feel JS trumps or is at least equal to Pinnacle in the food chain. Pinnacle access documentation is in much finer print.😉

that's a good observation John.  We are in a JS for our next Wonder cruise so keeping fingers crossed for CK dinners.  

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

That's why I feel JS trumps or is at least equal to Pinnacle in the food chain. Pinnacle access documentation is in much finer print.😉

I don't think that one actually has priority over the other, on paper.  I just feel that Pinnacle is a much more proven repeat and loyal customer than MOST JSs are.  And if I see Pinnacle cruisers going into the Coastal Kitchen for breakfast and/or Lunch and as a JS cruiser I try to follow them in and then I'm told I can't go in until Dinner and asked to leave (would that happen, has it happened, I don't know, but being that it is a rule, it could), I wouldn't feel like I'm in a priority over Pinnacle.  I guess the real question is if a waiting list forms for the Coastal Kitchen one night, who are they going to call first, P or JS or just first come, first serve?  That's where I would draw the distinction.  

Having said that, one could post the benefits of Pinnacle and say the same thing except they are not exempt from breakfast and lunch.  Both require reservations for dinner.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf

12 On Oasis and Quantum Class ships (excluding Spectrum of the Seas ®), Pinnacle Club members are able to enjoy meals in Coastal Kitchen. However, reservations are required and can only be made with the Maître d’ once onboard. Access to Coastal Kitchen for Pinnacle Club members is based on space and availability and is assessed on a per sailing basis. Royal Caribbean reserves the right to limit or remove access to Coastal Kitchen at any time.

AND, your cut and paste AND mine doesn't show proof of any priority.  Just says both have access to the CK, but one can't come until dinner and only with reservations.  

On 1/31/2023 at 9:28 PM, Ret MP said:

Like I said in a previous post that got deleted with some others, I don't cruise JS and I'm nowhere near P.  And like you, I'm guessing/thinking that P would have priority because they have no time/meal restrictions, just require reservations/availability whereas JS are restricted to the dinner meal only and only with reservations/availability.  My logic, P has proven to be a loyal/repeat customer, the kind of customer that any business would be looking to do what they can to have them come back.  I'd guess/think many JS customers are one and done, at least one and done in a JR suite (yes, there are some that are loyal to the JSs), but P is proven to be loyal to the brand.  As usual, I could be wrong.  

This is my opinion, it doesn't have to be anybody else's.  I'm not trying to force anything on anybody.  And this is a discussion board!

I follow your methodology, however we always book JS or above on non Oasis/Quantum ships and GS or above on Oasis / Quantum class. 

Sea class is not really anything to write home about. At least with Sky we get internet and CK. 

Star class for us was awful compared to top suite experiences on other lines so won’t pay for that again on Royal unless we get a really good Royal Up offer.

Edited by Spurschick
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

I follow your methodology, however we always book JS or above on non Oasis/Quantum ships and GS or above on Oasis / Quantum class. 

Sea class is not really anything to write home about. At least with Sky we get internet and CK. 

Star class for us was awful compared to top suite experiences on other lines so won’t pay for that again on Royal unless we get a really good Royal Up offer.

I haven't done any suites other than RCCL's suites.   1 GS and several Star and a couple none suite class.  I try to keep my loyalty with one cruise line.  I don't like to dilute my perks/points by spreading them around with multiple lines.  Having said that, we have checked and compared RCCL's suite classes with other cruise line suite classes.  We find that FOR US, Star is what we want.  My brother-in-law and his wife are always trying to get us to go with them on NCL's Haven class.  We did a lot of research and found too many restrictions that actually keep you in the Haven.  Examples:  Free/included alcohol only while IN the haven, specialty restaurants not included,  and at least one or two more things that I can't remember right now.  I like to get out and mingle/mix.  I understand that in the Haven that you can get just about anything that is offered at the Specialty restaurants.  But, I want to go to them.  

DISCLAIMER:  It's been a long while since I've checked out the other cruise lines suite class amenities and benefits.  Can't say if things have changed or not.

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We are JS on Oddysey next month

As you know, when we cruised with you two, we were also in a JS.   But with the ship not that full, the CK host was more than happy to book dinners in there for us, though we were not full suite.  I will be curious to find out how it goes for you this time, as I know you were in full suite the last time.  

OK...so now who is going to fix the coffee machine in the SL when Laura does not have access?  😄 

1 hour ago, island lady said:

As you know, when we cruised with you two, we were also in a JS.   But with the ship not that full, the CK host was more than happy to book dinners in there for us, though we were not full suite.  I will be curious to find out how it goes for you this time, as I know you were in full suite the last time.  

OK...so now who is going to fix the coffee machine in the SL when Laura does not have access?  😄 

Haven't heard if SL is off limits yet. Height of Spring Break and south FL may keep the pins away. We're using the 1400 certificate we earned last January, hence the JS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

No knocking on Odyssey 😉

It is nice not to have to knock and beg for entry. We were in a JS on Odyssey and loved the layout.  Went to Coastal Kitchen upon boarding and got our preferred time for dinner each night.  Easy as could be!  

Haven't heard if SL is off limits yet. Height of Spring Break and south FL may keep the pins away. We're using the 1400 certificate we earned last January, hence the JS

Nice. 🙂  I am looking forward to my 1400 certificate as well.  Already used our 1050 on balcony cabin on Wonder for next year.  Not going to try to upgrade.  That will be our "cruising on the cheap" cruise. 😄 

No knocking on Odyssey 😉

Which was very nice, since that was one of the very rare times we did a JS on a ship with a CK.  🙂 

Actually love the fact that the SL is separate from CK on that ship.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for letting us know about the "no knocking" for CK. Question - we will also have a 3 night dining package for my birthday week on Odyssey in February; where should I begin first to make all of our reservations? Can someone at CK make reservations for the specialty restaurants as well? TIA!

We're in a JS that week. Oh, and we'll also be on the week previous but in a regular balcony that week, so maybe even make them that week before? Sorry for the ?'s.

Edited by SilkySal
add

15 hours ago, Ret MP said:

And if I see Pinnacle cruisers going into the Coastal Kitchen for breakfast and/or Lunch and as a JS cruiser I try to follow them in and then I'm told I can't go in until Dinner and asked to leave (would that happen, has it happened, I don't know, but being that it is a rule, it could), I wouldn't feel like I'm in a priority over Pinnacle. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-dining/coastal-kitchen

@Ret MP  My friend one thing to keep in mind is that Junior Suites are only permitted into Coastal Kitchen for dinner.  Junior Suite guest are not permitted for breakfast and or lunch as you said yourself.  Pinnacles can dine in CK based on availability.   From the above Web Site -

Exclusively for suite guests and Pinnacle Club members, Coastal Kitchen fuses Mediterranean influences with farm-fresh flavors from California.

Additionallly, Pinnacle's have access to the Suite Lounge, which on Oasis Class ships shares the same space as Coastal Kitchen, so any Pinnacles that are not sailing in a suite may be using the CK entrance to get to the lounge, instead of crossing to the other side of the ship to use the lounge entrance. 

I know a lot of things have changed since 1/1/2023 but on our last sailing on Quantum, a couple who we make friends with were Pinnacle sailing in a balcony stateroom.  We talked to them about Pinnacle and access to Coastal Kitchen.  They had spoken with the Maitre'd on day 2 and were told they would be welcomed to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner in CK due to low number of suite guest using CK.  With the exception of lobster night and embarkation day lunch, we never saw CK more than about 2/3rds full on any day/night of our B2B.  

So my final take is this - If you are not Pinnacle and are sailing on Oasis or Quantum class ships and want guaranteed access to CK, book at least a Grand Suite.  Otherwise, you take your chances in a Junior Suite and settle for dinner in CK when available. 

44 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@Ret MP  My friend one thing to keep in mind is that Junior Suites are only permitted into Coastal Kitchen for dinner.  Junior Suite guest are not permitted for breakfast and or lunch as you said yourself.  Pinnacles can dine in CK based on availability.   From the above Web Site -

Exclusively for suite guests and Pinnacle Club members, Coastal Kitchen fuses Mediterranean influences with farm-fresh flavors from California.

Additionallly, Pinnacle's have access to the Suite Lounge, which on Oasis Class ships shares the same space as Coastal Kitchen, so any Pinnacles that are not sailing in a suite may be using the CK entrance to get to the lounge, instead of crossing to the other side of the ship to use the lounge entrance. 

I know a lot of things have changed since 1/1/2023 but on our last sailing on Quantum, a couple who we make friends with were Pinnacle sailing in a balcony stateroom.  We talked to them about Pinnacle and access to Coastal Kitchen.  They had spoken with the Maitre'd on day 2 and were told they would be welcomed to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner in CK due to low number of suite guest using CK.  With the exception of lobster night and embarkation day lunch, we never saw CK more than about 2/3rds full on any day/night of our B2B.  

So my final take is this - If you are not Pinnacle and are sailing on Oasis or Quantum class ships and want guaranteed access to CK, book at least a Grand Suite.  Otherwise, you take your chances in a Junior Suite and settle for dinner in CK when available. 

Yes, that's basically my point!  Pinnacle has more benefits than JS does.  Thanks for that!

Edited by Ret MP

12 hours ago, island lady said:

I remembered you said it was coming up...but my old brain forgot when it would happen.  Welcome to the club!  🙂 

Thanks for your congratulations.  We have enjoyed being Pinnacle and we received our package with the pins prior to our December Wonder cruise so we could wear them on that cruise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

SL access for Pins is often not allowed. Welcome to 2023