Breakaway: I need your best advice

Ranger28

I’m trying to decide when to try and arrange our checkin time at the port in New Orleans.We have a party of five in three cabins, including a spry 90 year old birthday girl. We are unable to schedule our dining ahead of time because 1)The system won’t let us book for an odd number 2)All times other than 9:30 are unavailable. We would like to book dinner and shows when we board. Do we need to check in as early as possible to have our best chance of a normal dining time? I’m also concerned about the senior member of our party getting tired and not having access to the room if we board very early. Any advice you have as far as parking, dropping off bags and the whole port process would be appreciated!

37 minutes ago, Ranger28 said:

The system won’t let us book for an odd number

For the future - when booking for an odd number of people just pick the next highest number for the table size.  You're getting that size table anyway, it really doesn't matter.

Too many people with an odd number in their party stress over booking a table for the exact size party they have, it's stress that just isn't needed.

You're not trying to book times for the MDR, are you?  There isn't really a need for that, that's the whole point of the 'freestyle' cruising concept.

As for check-in times - word is that generally they aren't checking these recently.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ranger28 said:

I’m trying to decide when to try and arrange our checkin time at the port in New Orleans.We have a party of five in three cabins, including a spry 90 year old birthday girl. We are unable to schedule our dining ahead of time because 1)The system won’t let us book for an odd number 2)All times other than 9:30 are unavailable. We would like to book dinner and shows when we board. Do we need to check in as early as possible to have our best chance of a normal dining time? I’m also concerned about the senior member of our party getting tired and not having access to the room if we board very early. Any advice you have as far as parking, dropping off bags and the whole port process would be appreciated!

Hi Ranger28!

If you have not booked yet, then get the earliest check-in time possible. And show up as soon as you can round up the troops in the morning. To do this, you must check everyone in exactly 21 days prior to departure (based on countdown clock on your MyNCL account) at 12 midnight eastern time

If you only see 9:30 dining times, you have waited too long and everything is sold out online. Reservations opened 120 days prior to departure and people who wanted "good" times made reservations at midnight 120 days out (125 for club balconies and 130 for Haven suites). The ship holds some tables for onboard reservations,,, but "prime time" dining (not 9:30 pm) will also sell out quickly on embarkation day. 

Show up early (I highly recommend that you get the birthday girl a wheel chair at the port since that will also give your party priority boarding). As soon as you embark, the able members of your party should head to Headliners (Deck 6 mid-ship) to make show reservations and then across the hall to Teppanyaki (Deck 6 mid-ship) to make dinner reservations.  

Show reservations include Burn the Floor (Latin dancing like Dancing with the Stars) and the Broadway hit SIX (highly recommended). Also Comedy shows (early shows family oriented, late shows 18+). Make sure to have everyone's cabin number to make reservations. There will be a show "menu" as soon as you enter Headliners showing all of the shows for the week (both reservable and those that are general seating). There is also a for-fee dinner show in the Spiegel Tent (not recommended) and activities like Canvas by U (painting class) that can be booked in Headliners. 

For Burn the Floor and SIX, I recommend having someone from your party show up at least 30-45 minutes prior to show time to get good seats. While reserving of seats is not permitted, everyone does it. (Front row center good for theater shows;;; Front row center not so good for comedy shows). 

An example of the "show menu" is on Post #10 on the link below. Other photos and information on the Breakaway on on the pages that follow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ranger28 said:

Good advice. I read on another thread that they would expect six people because it’s all about the money they would lose with 5 vs 6. 

Nope. The online system has recently only had even numbers of people (since that is the way the tables are set up). So, if you are a group of 5, request 6 online. Onboard, you can book for 5 with the reservation agents. Make sure to get confirmation slips for all dining reservations onboard. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ranger28 said:

Be aware that there is a difference between checkin time at the port and boarding time for the ship.  No one, regardless of how early they checkin, will be allowed to board until all debarking passengers have left the ship.  Normally,  this is sometime around 1100 to 1130.  IOW, if  you arrive at the port, you will be waiting, sometimes in long lines, sometime seated if you're lucky, for around two hours.  

We arrived at approximately 0930 for our last Breakaway cruise.  We didn't board until after 1130.  Most of that time was spent standing in a very long line to clear security.  BA wasn't fully booked for that cruise so we expect even longer lines on our next cruise.  Seating is very limited at the terminal.  Our next cruise, we're delaying arrival at the port until after 1100.  BTW, we were in the Haven so we had 'priority', however 'priority' doesn't begin until after you clear security.  One more point, boarding is handled by NOLA port personnel, not NCL.

If  you  want a wheel chair at the Port, I would suggest contacting NOLA port for information.

Parking.  The NCL terminal is very close, across the street in fact, from the Whale Parking Lot (so called because of the large whale mural).  There have been numerous reports of vandalism including broken windows and theft from cars parked there.  The city of NOLA is supposedly increasing security.  We parked there the last time but his time we're parking at the Fulton Parking Garage because it is fully enclosed.  Here's some more information:

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-parking/

Wish you luck.

• Like 1

Definitely bring your elderly family member a wheelchair!!!   We were just through the Port of New Orleans and can second it's a LOT of walking and standing... even for much younger people.  It took us about 2 hours to get onboard. No one checked our check-in times, it was just one huge line-up about 2 hours on our feet.  Alternatively, get the 9:30 check in time and get to port super early - you may find a spot to sit while waiting for boarding to start.  Either way, it's a long wait. 

Once onboard, our rooms weren't ready for a few hours.  I would highly recommend going to a sit-down venue to bide your time.  It's a little crazy.  Muster drill was also done the pre-covid way - so having a wheelchair for your elderly family member might be helpful here, too, as our station was in O'Sheeans and it was very hot and packed.  We were fine to stand, but there weren't enough chairs in any case.  We also had a very forward room - just be aware that the hallways are long if she tires easily - perhaps a walker with a seat or something might be helpful if they need a rest?

Disembarkation, while smoother, also covered a lot of ground - your family member may benefit from a wheelchair on this day too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Be aware that there is a difference between checkin time at the port and boarding time for the ship.  No one, regardless of how early they checkin, will be allowed to board until all debarking passengers have left the ship.  Normally,  this is sometime around 1100 to 1130.  IOW, if  you arrive at the port, you will be waiting, sometimes in long lines, sometime seated if you're lucky, for around two hours.  

We arrived at approximately 0930 for our last Breakaway cruise.  We didn't board until after 1130.  Most of that time was spent standing in a very long line to clear security.  BA wasn't fully booked for that cruise so we expect even longer lines on our next cruise.  Seating is very limited at the terminal.  Our next cruise, we're delaying arrival at the port until after 1100.  BTW, we were in the Haven so we had 'priority', however 'priority' doesn't begin until after you clear security.  One more point, boarding is handled by NOLA port personnel, not NCL.

If  you  want a wheel chair at the Port, I would suggest contacting NOLA port for information.

Parking.  The NCL terminal is very close, across the street in fact, from the Whale Parking Lot (so called because of the large whale mural).  There have been numerous reports of vandalism including broken windows and theft from cars parked there.  The city of NOLA is supposedly increasing security.  We parked there the last time but his time we're parking at the Fulton Parking Garage because it is fully enclosed.  Here's some more information:

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-parking/

Wish you luck.

We have sailed on the BReakaway several times out of new orleans. Embarkation there is rough. Again long lines, and the terminal seating is very limited. Parking, we park at the Fulton Garage which is an easy walk to the terminal or you can take the free shuttle from the garage. never had any issues regarding vandalism. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolft927 said:

We have sailed on the BReakaway several times out of new orleans. Embarkation there is rough. Again long lines, and the terminal seating is very limited. Parking, we park at the Fulton Garage which is an easy walk to the terminal or you can take the free shuttle from the garage. never had any issues regarding vandalism. 

Here's a report on the breakins at the Whale Lot.

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog/2022/12/29/port-nola-to-increase-harbor-police-presence-after-vehicle-break-ins-near-cruise-terminal/

You can find more information, multiple links, by googling 'breakins whale parking lot new orleans'.

The fulton garage is enclosed, access is limited, they have 64 security cameras and 24/7 security.  Anyone can access the whale lot by walking across the street.  It's wide open to the public.

There was a video in the link from St Greg showing the shuttle ride from Fulton to the port.  Knowing Greg it's the carnival terminal but the ncl terminal is next door.

Embarkation isn't just rough at NOLA, it's the worse we've ever experience.  We wouldn't use NOLA again except it's only a six hour drive.

I know lots of people advise early arrival at NOLA but I have to question whether it is worth two hours, maybe more, standing in line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Here's a report on the breakins at the Whale Lot.

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog/2022/12/29/port-nola-to-increase-harbor-police-presence-after-vehicle-break-ins-near-cruise-terminal/

You can find more information, multiple links, by googling 'breakins whale parking lot new orleans'.

The fulton garage is enclosed, access is limited, they have 64 security cameras and 24/7 security.  Anyone can access the whale lot by walking across the street.  It's wide open to the public.

There was a video in the link from St Greg showing the shuttle ride from Fulton to the port.  Knowing Greg it's the carnival terminal but the ncl terminal is next door.

Embarkation isn't just rough at NOLA, it's the worse we've ever experience.  We wouldn't use NOLA again except it's only a six hour drive.

I know lots of people advise early arrival at NOLA but I have to question whether it is worth two hours, maybe more, standing in line.

I agree, we used new orleans because it was 5.5 hours from the house, was the only reason and we do like the Breakaway. As i said embarkation sucks there! We cruised in the Haven, but te Security line up is horrible. Half the time you have debarkation still going on and people lined up for Security check in...wraps all the way down the hall and sometimes outside. 

If we ever go out of New Orleans again we will wait till about 11 or 12 to arrive just to miss the lines

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

I agree, we used new orleans because it was 5.5 hours from the house, was the only reason and we do like the Breakaway. As i said embarkation sucks there! We cruised in the Haven, but te Security line up is horrible. Half the time you have debarkation still going on and people lined up for Security check in...wraps all the way down the hall and sometimes outside. 

If we ever go out of New Orleans again we will wait till about 11 or 12 to arrive just to miss the lines

That's why we're delaying our arrival.  I've asked numerous times here on CC about the embarkation experience at NOLA, specifically about arrival times at the port and actual boarding times.  I've received numerous replies indicating that the lines aren't much better until after 1:00 or 1:30.

Our plan is to drop the car at fulton, take the shuttle to the port arriving around 11:00.  We will drop our bags with the porters and checkout the security line.  If the line is short or moving well, we'll join the line.  Otherwise, we will go upstairs and surf the mall till maybe 12:00 or 12:30.  Then we will come back down to checkin.  

Our next two cruises are out of Galveston or Seattle.

• Like 1

If you ask for a wheelchair to use for embarkation only, those will not be available until everyone who needed one for disembarkation of the previous cruise is done with them. So my disabled friend and our group had to wait another hour after our early designated time for boarding so that we could put her in that wheelchair. Bringing your own would eliminate this problem. Renting one from the ship would mean you won't have it until you get to the cabin, because they leave the rental wheelchairs and scooters in the cabin for you. 

You could always have 2 able-bodied people board ASAP to make reservations and the rest of the group stay with the elderly passenger to make sure she gets a wheelchair and is assisted through the check-in and embarkation process. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JustAllie said:

If you ask for a wheelchair to use for embarkation only, those will not be available until everyone who needed one for disembarkation of the previous cruise is done with them. So my disabled friend and our group had to wait another hour after our early designated time for boarding so that we could put her in that wheelchair. Bringing your own would eliminate this problem. Renting one from the ship would mean you won't have it until you get to the cabin, because they leave the rental wheelchairs and scooters in the cabin for you. 

You could always have 2 able-bodied people board ASAP to make reservations and the rest of the group stay with the elderly passenger to make sure she gets a wheelchair and is assisted through the check-in and embarkation process. 

After making the reservations, those able bodied could fetch the wheelchair from the cabin for the birthday girl waiting in the terminal.  But, brining  your own is probably best.

• Like 1

I agree with the people who say get there as early as you can and go right to headliners to make dining reservations.  There are plenty of places indoors to sit and rest and relax.  if you want to be outside and are worried about the sun, there are plenty of shady places to sit outside on deck 8.  Keep in ming 1/2 of deck 8 may be closed for bunkering.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Hi Ranger28!

If you have not booked yet, then get the earliest check-in time possible. And show up as soon as you can round up the troops in the morning. To do this, you must check everyone in exactly 21 days prior to departure (based on countdown clock on your MyNCL account) at 12 midnight eastern time

If you only see 9:30 dining times, you have waited too long and everything is sold out online. Reservations opened 120 days prior to departure and people who wanted "good" times made reservations at midnight 120 days out (125 for club balconies and 130 for Haven suites). The ship holds some tables for onboard reservations,,, but "prime time" dining (not 9:30 pm) will also sell out quickly on embarkation day. 

Show up early (I highly recommend that you get the birthday girl a wheel chair at the port since that will also give your party priority boarding). As soon as you embark, the able members of your party should head to Headliners (Deck 6 mid-ship) to make show reservations and then across the hall to Teppanyaki (Deck 6 mid-ship) to make dinner reservations.  

Show reservations include Burn the Floor (Latin dancing like Dancing with the Stars) and the Broadway hit SIX (highly recommended). Also Comedy shows (early shows family oriented, late shows 18+). Make sure to have everyone's cabin number to make reservations. There will be a show "menu" as soon as you enter Headliners showing all of the shows for the week (both reservable and those that are general seating). There is also a for-fee dinner show in the Spiegel Tent (not recommended) and activities like Canvas by U (painting class) that can be booked in Headliners. 

For Burn the Floor and SIX, I recommend having someone from your party show up at least 30-45 minutes prior to show time to get good seats. While reserving of seats is not permitted, everyone does it. (Front row center good for theater shows;;; Front row center not so good for comedy shows). 

An example of the "show menu" is on Post #10 on the link below. Other photos and information on the Breakaway on on the pages that follow. 

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your thorough and thoughtful answer!

21 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Unfortunately, we waited until from 12:30 to 1:30 in the mall and the lines never went down significantly...  It was not very organized and I felt awful for the elderly and those with small children.  And even if you are Haven (I wasn't but took notice), it wasn't until after the initial long line did you get any preferential treatment insofar as the lines to get on the ship.

• Thanks 1

so adding my 2 cents....

We just got off Breakaway Sunday.

4 cruises in last year, 4 ports.  NOLA port is unique in that it is so close to the main tourist areas in town.  It is also an operational port for shipping.  The building is owned by the city (I presume) and was built to handle cruise ships probably 1/2 the capacity of Breakaway.  The cruises sail on Sunday because that morning has the least amount of city traffic in the background.

It is also the only port we have been in with a flood wall and 2 railroad tracks to complicate things.  If you walk up from the city plaza and parking lot, you have to cross the RR tracks, or spend time going inside for an up and over.  (We dropped our luggage off with porters just before crossing the tracks, which is where most tour groups were also using)  The vehicle access to the building drop off points starts 3/4 of a mile up river, on the far side of the Carnival dock.  It may take you 5 - 10 minutes just to drive from a close hotel to the entry doors.  The street between the building and flood wall is narrow, no more than 2 vehicles.  The flood wall purposely has few removable gates, so all traffic must use those access points.

We got in line around 12:15, and were in the ship about an hour later.  If you arrive (and drop off) at that time, use door #4, which is where the line backed up past it.  We walked in door #1 (closest to to the luggage drop off), and had to "reverse walk" the line to get to the end.  The ship had opened by that time, and they were calling group 14 for boarding.  I recall hearing through group 30 as we shuffled along.  By the time we got to x-ray machines, they were calling all groups can now board.  That means anyone getting their room card would be able to go immediately to the gangway.  That was around 12:50 or so.  I wasn't watching specific times.  Once through the x-ray machines, the wait is then for real check-in and getting room key.  The line is stop-start, but it does move. Knowing that up front will help.

We talked to a couple who arrived an hour after we did (after 1:00) and they said 2 hours.

So....

Best time to arrive is probably 11:30-ish.    Checking in early at 9:30 will mean waiting in limited area with limited chairs.  After 12:30 looks like the line gets much longer as people from outside of town either flying or driving start to arrive.

For elderly, a folding, sit-on walker is probably best. (if that is an option?)  Several sit-on walkers were on the cruise, and if she doesn't need it full time, simply leave it in the room. 

And the dock at Costa Maya (uncovered) and Harvest Caye (partially covered) are long, so the walker may come in handy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ranger28 said:

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your thorough and thoughtful answer!

Birthday girl and part of your party can go directly to the Taste / Savor Main Dining Rooms (Deck 6 forward) and wait for the restaurant to open. I would avoid the buffet on embarkation day because it is a lot of walking to fetch your food and it gets very crowded. Having a nice sit down, served lunch is the best way to start off the cruise. If you have a nice relaxing lunch, your rooms will be ready shortly after.

To be honest, a few can stay with the birthday girl,,, a few in your party will be anxious to go explore the ship and exercise their beverage package🙂... let them go and have some fun. When we have family cruises, the whole group dines together once or twice, and on other nights, everyone is doing their own thing. We plan to have the kids go to the shows early and hold some seats so us "more mature" folks (o.k. old folks) can take our time getting to the theater.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JustAllie said:

This!!!  

Have able bodies handle the reservations.  There is no need for the entire party show up to make dining reservations.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what time the security lines open at NOLA? In theory, we will be arriving very early into New Orleans and don't want to go anywhere because we'd have our luggage. We are Haven so if we got through security, we'd at least have a place to sit.

1 minute ago, kuku77254 said:

Does anyone know what time the security lines open at NOLA? In theory, we will be arriving very early into New Orleans and don't want to go anywhere because we'd have our luggage. We are Haven so if we got through security, we'd at least have a place to sit.

Multiple reports that the security line opens at 0930.  We arrived last March about 0945 and then stood in line for almost two hours waiting to clear security.  And, yes, we were Haven too.  The waiting area is very small and it appeared they stopped processing passengers through security once the small waiting area is full.  Haven passengers have no priority until they clear security.   We intend to arrive around 1130 and if we encounter a long line we intend to go upstairs and tour the mall.  IIRC there were several seating areas there.

44 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Multiple reports that the security line opens at 0930.  We arrived last March about 0945 and then stood in line for almost two hours waiting to clear security.  And, yes, we were Haven too.  The waiting area is very small and it appeared they stopped processing passengers through security once the small waiting area is full.  Haven passengers have no priority until they clear security.   We intend to arrive around 1130 and if we encounter a long line we intend to go upstairs and tour the mall.  IIRC there were several seating areas there.

Thank you for the info. I'd love to take a later flight and be leisurely about it but I know that would be stupid too.

If I ever cruise out of New Orleans again,  I plan to arrive as late as possible to avoid the cluster that was embarkation.  We were in the line winding up and down a long hall way for more than 2 hours.  Arrived at 11 for a 12pm check in.  The check in times were pretty meaningless.  By the time we were getting through security the line was almost gone behind us.  Next time I would just plan to arrive around 2p and miss it all.  We still managed to get the dinner reservations we wanted, plus the 2 big shows.  The only thing we couldn't get were the comedy shows.

• Like 1