Just Off Silhouette this Morning 1/26-1/30

naples1

We just got off the Celebrity Silhouette this morning.

A little history about us. We are regular Celebrity Cruisers and have cruised several other lines and just wanted to give a quick review while its still fresh in my mind. 

Embarkation was easy. Parked the car walked to the ship from the Garage and walked right in. We arrived at about 12:15pm to very little lines. We dragged our bags up to the room to find it was already cleaned and ready. Room was in pretty good shape. New carpet from the most recent drydock. What did surprise me was on the balcony, it was covered in salt and the railing was rather worn and needed maintenance. I know its a little thing but it was one of the first things i noticed. 

As far as the ships public areas, it was pristine. New carpet, everything looked in good shape and the crew was friendly like we have come to expect. 

So all the stuff we have read recently about the buffet being limited and cutbacks happening is definitely true. We dont like to complain and will make the most out of any situation, however when you pay a premium and they raise prices on items like drink packages or specialty dining, I get it, the company has to make money but by raising prices you would expect at least a perceived value of said price increases. Not a degregation of said services.

The crew we encountere were all excellent as usual. The problem we found is that the food and beverage staff are painfully understaffed. 

We were planning on upgrading from the classic to the premium beverage package once onboard once we saw a bartender walkikng around that we liked. Well unfortunatley we never saw any drink servers around the ship pretty much anywhere onboard. We started at the sunset bar and had to go to the bar to get served. Again, the crew were all friendly but they have made major cuts to the beverage staff particularly. 

If they want to sell premium drink packages at a premium price, we expect to be able to get a drink from a server at least every 45 minutes or so. this was not the case, nobody was walking around taking drink orders. 

For dinner, we opted to do specialty dining each night. We did the Lawn Club the first night and that was just fine. Food and service were good. To my surprise, the restaurant was at least 3/4 empty at 7pm. I figured it was just because it was the first night. It seemed odd though since on the app, there were no dinner times available. 

Second night Murano was great. We had a waiter that has been with Celebrity for 20 years and that restaurant was awesome. Again the restaurant was not even half full. 

Third night, Sushi on 5. This was as expected. Sushi was decent and service was fine.

4th night Tuscan Grill. This place I was looking forward to the whole trip. We have great memories going there on varius Solstice class Ships over the years. This time was different though. Again, the place was about empty at 6:30 pm which really surprised me.The other thing that we noticed is that they were way understaffed in there too. Our waiter no assistants, nobody doing drink service. The Somelier was in the restaurant but didn't even come to our table for 30 minutes. Food was decent but again service was friendly but completely lacking. 

Again if they want to charge a premium and advertise themselves as a premium line, they need to step it up. I understand making cuts but when it effects the guest experience, its not going to help. 

We will still sail celebrity in the future but by no means are we going to limit ourselves. We will definitely look at other lines including Virgin which I have been hearing alot of good things about. Hopefully Celebrity will get their act together and go back to what they are good at. 

This is not a rant, just our observation. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 19

Thank you for your review.  We haven't been on her since last June for the Baltic out of Southampton.  Service was great and food a plenty but we only had 900 passengers.  We board her for a B2B Feb. 9 with the second cruise sold out.   So we may experience staffing issues in bars and dining as you did.  Welcome back to the Not-So-Good Old Days of full ships and lines.   We did a 23 day Viking on the Med last fall.  There was never waiting for drinks or food anywhere on the ship.  Top notch operation.

25 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The specialty restaurants have been limiting bookings since fall, maybe before, due to lack of staff.  

Exactly what I was thinking. I would rather they limit guests than pack the house and the service suffers. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, naples1 said:

A little history about us. We are regular Celebrity Cruisers and have cruised several other lines and just wanted to give a quick review while its still fresh in my mind. 

Embarkation was easy. Parked the car walked to the ship from the Garage and walked right in. We arrived at about 12:15pm to very little lines. We dragged our bags up to the room to find it was already cleaned and ready. Room was in pretty good shape. New carpet from the most recent drydock. What did surprise me was on the balcony, it was covered in salt and the railing was rather worn and needed maintenance. I know its a little thing but it was one of the first things i noticed. 

As far as the ships public areas, it was pristine. New carpet, everything looked in good shape and the crew was friendly like we have come to expect. 

So all the stuff we have read recently about the buffet being limited and cutbacks happening is definitely true. We dont like to complain and will make the most out of any situation, however when you pay a premium and they raise prices on items like drink packages or specialty dining, I get it, the company has to make money but by raising prices you would expect at least a perceived value of said price increases. Not a degregation of said services.

The crew we encountere were all excellent as usual. The problem we found is that the food and beverage staff are painfully understaffed. 

We were planning on upgrading from the classic to the premium beverage package once onboard once we saw a bartender walkikng around that we liked. Well unfortunatley we never saw any drink servers around the ship pretty much anywhere onboard. We started at the sunset bar and had to go to the bar to get served. Again, the crew were all friendly but they have made major cuts to the beverage staff particularly. 

If they want to sell premium drink packages at a premium price, we expect to be able to get a drink from a server at least every 45 minutes or so. this was not the case, nobody was walking around taking drink orders. 

For dinner, we opted to do specialty dining each night. We did the Lawn Club the first night and that was just fine. Food and service were good. To my surprise, the restaurant was at least 3/4 empty at 7pm. I figured it was just because it was the first night. It seemed odd though since on the app, there were no dinner times available. 

Second night Murano was great. We had a waiter that has been with Celebrity for 20 years and that restaurant was awesome. Again the restaurant was not even half full. 

Third night, Sushi on 5. This was as expected. Sushi was decent and service was fine.

4th night Tuscan Grill. This place I was looking forward to the whole trip. We have great memories going there on varius Solstice class Ships over the years. This time was different though. Again, the place was about empty at 6:30 pm which really surprised me.The other thing that we noticed is that they were way understaffed in there too. Our waiter no assistants, nobody doing drink service. The Somelier was in the restaurant but didn't even come to our table for 30 minutes. Food was decent but again service was friendly but completely lacking. 

Again if they want to charge a premium and advertise themselves as a premium line, they need to step it up. I understand making cuts but when it effects the guest experience, its not going to help. 

We will still sail celebrity in the future but by no means are we going to limit ourselves. We will definitely look at other lines including Virgin which I have been hearing alot of good things about. Hopefully Celebrity will get their act together and go back to what they are good at. 

Thanks so much for your review. We are boarding 2/23. I too would not be happy with a balcony you described as we spend a lot of time out there. As far a the OV did you notice cuts at all meals or just dinner? Did you go to the martini bar? Wondering about staff there as we have never before had to go to the bar and order our own drinks but that may have changed. 

In my limited experience (8 X cruises) Celebrity has never been big on table waiters/waitresses….I’ve usually always had to go to the bar.

I was on Silhouette last April and wait service in restaurants and bars was a shambles,but we were not long out of lockdown.

I am on Silhouette again in May,,,,,I hope it’s improved.

32 minutes ago, cbfb said:

Thanks so much for your review. We are boarding 2/23. I too would not be happy with a balcony you described as we spend a lot of time out there. As far a the OV did you notice cuts at all meals or just dinner? Did you go to the martini bar? Wondering about staff there as we have never before had to go to the bar and order our own drinks but that may have changed. 

We did go to the martini bar. Again the staff and service were good but very limited. Didn’t see anybody bringing drinks. This has not been my experience even during Covid. We were on Apex twice during Covid and drink service was fine. 

the buffet was fine during lunch and breakfast. Just during dinner it was lacking. 

again I understand short staffing and limiting reservations but if they are going to increase prices in the venues then they need to have adequate decent service or just close the restaurant entirely. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

In my limited experience (8 X cruises) Celebrity has never been big on table waiters/waitresses….I’ve usually always had to go to the bar.

I was on Silhouette last April and wait service in restaurants and bars was a shambles,but we were not long out of lockdown.

I am on Silhouette again in May,,,,,I hope it’s improved.

We really like the bartenders and crew but they are very understaffed for sure

38 minutes ago, cbfb said:

We're on this cruise too. Certainly hoping that at least some bars have good service provided. We are happy to stick to the ones that do. Trying to remain positive until we get on board!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, thatguy865 said:

We're on this cruise too. Certainly hoping that at least some bars have good service provided. We are happy to stick to the ones that do. Trying to remain positive until we get on board!

Don’t get me wrong, we had a great time. We always do. You just have to have an open mind and you’ll be fine. Just keep expectations low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

In our experience, having to go to the bar for a drink rather than service in a lounge has been pretty much the normal with Celebrity.  This was even before COVID.  Lately, we cruise HAL and Celebrity.  HAL excels in lounge bar service.

I don’t mean just the lounges but the pool areas and sunset area as well but even at the pool 

Edited by naples1

48 minutes ago, thatguy865 said:

We have sailed with celebrity many times. This will be our fourth cruise since the reopening. Granted we haven’t been on board since the cutbacks but I have no doubt it will be as amazing as always. You will love Murano!!! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

In our experience, having to go to the bar for a drink rather than service in a lounge has been pretty much the normal with Celebrity.  This was even before COVID.  Lately, we cruise HAL and Celebrity.  HAL excels in lounge bar service.

Strange we have never experienced that. We have had constant service at the sunset bar and martini bar before and after Covid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

We have sailed 8 times on Celebrity, all but 1 on S-Class ships.  We have not experienced a lack of waiters/waitresses except in the theater.  We normally spend our bar time at the Ensemble lounge and have found the bartenders and waitstaff very attentive.   Three of these sailings have been post COVID but none on a ship sailing at full capacity.. 

I have see people waiting to order drinks in the seating area around the Martini Bar, especially when the bar is crowded. 

Our next sailing is on Millennium and I suspect that sailing will be at or near capacity.  I am planning to do a live report and will pay attention to how service is in areas outside the Retreat. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We have sailed 8 times on Celebrity, all but 1 on S-Class ships.  We have not experienced a lack of waiters/waitresses except in the theater.  We normally spend our bar time at the Ensemble lounge and have found the bartenders and waitstaff very attentive.   Three of these sailings have been post COVID but none on a ship sailing at full capacity.. 

I have see people waiting to order drinks in the seating area around the Martini Bar, especially when the bar is crowded. 

Our next sailing is on Millennium and I suspect that sailing will be at or near capacity.  I am planning to do a live report and will pay attention to how service is in areas outside the Retreat. 

31 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Yeah I have a feeling they made some cuts the first of the year. We have never experience that either

Thanks for your update. We’re on the Silhouette on the 13th for ten nights. I’m a bit frustrated as we paid for an experience that doesn’t seem to be happening since the start of this year. We sailed Eclipse in Sept and had a wonderful time and enjoyed our dinners in the MDR but now I’m not expecting much beyond basic cafeteria fare this time around. It’s not just the drink service that’s been affected but the dining room offerings seem substandard too…did you notice any differences on your sailing?

3 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Thanks for your update. We’re on the Silhouette on the 13th for ten nights. I’m a bit frustrated as we paid for an experience that doesn’t seem to be happening since the start of this year. We sailed Eclipse in Sept and had a wonderful time and enjoyed our dinners in the MDR but now I’m not expecting much beyond basic cafeteria fare this time around. It’s not just the drink service that’s been affected but the dining room offerings seem substandard too…did you notice any differences on your sailing?

We didn’t do the main dining room, but the restaurants were fine and the staff that is there are great. There is no problem with the current staff, it’s definitely the lack of staff. Prior to this cruise we have never had an issue getting drinks or having excellent service shipwide. That’s why I think it’s due to the cuts the first of the year. Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, naples1 said:

Don’t get me wrong, we had a great time. We always do. You just have to have an open mind and you’ll be fine. Just keep expectations low.

The thing is we should get what we pay for. I understand the cutbacks and raising prices, but I paid for my cruise with hard earned money that I have worked for and expect what is advertised. If they are going to lower their standards then they need to let us know and I will spend our money elsewhere. I am a nurse and have shortages through out our hospital. but by no means can we skimp on service and quality of our care to our patients. I love celebrity, but as a consumer I want what I paid for when I booked this cruise.  Don't advertise as a Premium Cruise Line when you're not. Going in a week and half and booked over a year ago, just really bummed hearing all this.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, scottann92 said:

The thing is we should get what we pay for. I understand the cutbacks and raising prices, but I paid for my cruise with hard earned money that I have worked for and expect what is advertised. If they are going to lower their standards then they need to let us know and I will spend our money elsewhere. I am a nurse and have shortages through out our hospital. but by no means can we skimp on service and quality of our care to our patients. I love celebrity, but as a consumer I want what I paid for when I booked this cruise.  Don't advertise as a Premium Cruise Line when you're not. Going in a week and half and booked over a year ago, just really bummed hearing all this.  

This is the point of my review exactly!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and perceptive review. We are loyal Celebrity clients with plenty of cruises done, but none in the post Covid period. We took Princess a few months ago as our first cruise back, and had the same kind of disappointment you note here. Was wondering if it is the same at Celebrity and sadly, it seems it is. I think your attitude is correct. Enjoy every aspect you can. But I think your advice about lowered expectations is even better. If we cruise again (and after 31, we are re-examining our love affair with them) we will do so with eyes wide open and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Agree 100% it is primarily staffing. Sad but true.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We board the 13th as well. Will be interesting to say the least. Last sailing  was November so we will see the changes just a few months later.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, naples1 said:

Thanks fo the review. We are on the Mar 13th sailing. We have premium pkg and are hopeful that I won’t have to wait forever for a drink 🤣.
I’ve been trying to book a speciality restaurant for the first night,  and each time I try it keeps telling me unavailable for that evening. 

So looking forward to getting on board!