Air tags on carnival?

audcc77

This probably deserves to move to a more cruise-general topic area, as it has nothing to do with Carnival, per se.

But: airtags and similar work by having phones of the same brand/system nearby.  So if your luggage was brought on board by a forklift and no-one with an iPhone has been nearby since then, it might not register.  

Plus, the phone has to get signal too, and it might not get signal in the bowels of the ship.

And finally, airtags have batteries, which can die, and therefore fail to work.

:shrug:

• Like 2

Airtags do not have GPS trackers in them. The technology is basically a giant database of, "the last time an iPhone was near this AirTag, it was here"

Considering everyone puts their phone on airplane mode when they get on a cruise it is not surprising that your AirTag's location hasn't changed.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, audcc77 said:

Well my luggage is here.  Thanks for the info.  

Does your phone show your luggage is there?

If you go wandering in port and get lost, you can use  your luggage last location to find your way back to the ship!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Does your phone show your luggage is there?

If you go wandering in port and get lost, you can use  your luggage last location to find your way back to the ship!

Yes.  It shows it’s here.  

I didn’t know that.
Thanks Blerk!  

• Like 1

I just got off a cruise last week and AirTags worked sporadically. Once out to sea I was constantly getting alerts that my luggage was left behind. AirTags rely on other iPhones in the area to ping your tag. And I think your phones need to have cell service to ping it, not Wi-Fi. So yes they do work, but not the entire time. 

4 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

I just got off a cruise last week and AirTags worked sporadically. Once out to sea I was constantly getting alerts that my luggage was left behind. AirTags rely on other iPhones in the area to ping your tag. And I think your phones need to have cell service to ping it, not Wi-Fi. So yes they do work, but not the entire time. 

Bluetooth which has limited range. Your phone knows where your luggage was, and once out of range you will get the left luggage alerts.

Yes I feel like AirTags work really well in airports and is my main point in having them.  Once on the ship you lose touch while they are transferring them to the ship and your room.  We usually leave our phones on until we are getting ready to leave port, so the signal is usually somewhat traceable for awhile until we switch over.  However our luggage is onboard by that time. 😊