What is the status of Skagway for 2023 season?

Panhandle Couple

54 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Haines, never been there but have been told only smaller ships can dock there.  

I think the Ruby is on the schedule for Haines this year, so while a Royal class ship may not fit there, a super grand class ship apparently will.

Thanks for providing the other info - certainly a lot more at stake here than just the rock fall.

On 2/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

Nicole Goodman

the dock codes are:

RRF - Railroad Forward (right side of picture)

RRA - Railroad Aft (right side of picture)

ORE - Ore Terminal Dock (I believe on the left of picture)

BRD - Broadway Dock (just to the right of the Ore dock, much smaller ship there or empty?)

So...It appears if your ship is scheduled for the ORE or BRD you will probably be OK.

If scheduled for RRF, probably out of luck.  

If scheduled for RRA, it might change depending on the status of the cliff, and port politics.

This is hopefully good news for us.  We are on the Jewel scheduled to stop on 9/1/23 and it shows ORE.  One of the main things my DH is looking forward to is the train.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, endoellen said:

We will be on Radiance of the Seas in May 2023 & also have Skagway as a port of call.  I have already booked an excursion with Chilkoot Charters & so looking forward to it. 

I sent an email to them regarding this matter & this is the reply I got:

The Municipality of Skagway has been working diligently with engineers and construction companies to rectify the hillside next to the railroad dock. The work at the dock area should be completed by May 1st.  If your ship does not make it to port, you will be fully refunded.

I am in exactly the same situation with Monday, May 29th booked with Chilkoot Charters for 7:30 am tour. Will follow this thread.

There is simply so misinformation with the speculation on this thread I don't know where to begin.  

First, there are more than one dock in Skagway.  Only one berth is impacted by the rock slide.  So I just don't understand the comment that Carnival has "the lease for the Skagway dock for another year."

On 2/9/2023 at 6:40 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

The port politics I mentioned is that Carnival (who also owns Princess) has the lease for the Skagway dock for another year.  Then I assume it is up for re-bid, or simply a new contract. Will Carnival demand a priority for their ships?

ISP new dock is owned by native Alaskan Corp, so open to all.

NCL last year gave their Juneau dock site to the same Corp for improved development.  I assume that will influence their accessibility to the ISP dock.

The new dock at Sitka is owned by Royal Caribbean.  I assume they will give their ships priority there.

ISP was developed by Huna Totem.  Please google the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act for some sort of understanding of our Alaskan native claims corporations.   And NCL "gave their Juneau dock to the same Corp for improved development."  This may be a surprise to the municipality of Juneau.  Particularly a surprise for the Juneau Port Authority.

The dock at Sitka is not owned by Royal Caribbean.   The McCraw family, who live in Sitka, are the majority owners.  RC has a minority ownership position.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 10:40 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

The port politics I mentioned is that Carnival (who also owns Princess) has the lease for the Skagway dock for another year.  Then I assume it is up for re-bid, or simply a new contract. Will Carnival demand a priority for their ships?

I was under the impression that Carnival had bought the railroad and three of the docks back in 2018.  Why would they lease a dock?

I'm not here to start an argument, just to let fellow cruisers know that their plans for Skagway (in 2023) may be in jeopardy due to the unmitigated situation with the railroad dock rock slide.

https://skagwaynews.com/2022/11/25/railroad-dock-mitigation-on-schedule-alternative-mooring-plan-abandoned/

In combination with other posters, we have shown a photo with the 4 docks, a link to a 2023 cruise ship dock schedule, and the berth codes, and specifically noted that the Railroad Forward dock is in limbo for the season, as there is no recent news on the availability of that dock location. I never said all stops there would be canceled.

At least 1 poster has responded saying their cruise has already removed Skagway.

Depending on the cruise line, the alternate ports are Haines, Icy Straight Point (ISP), and Sitka.  My suggestions were that each cruise line might have a preference based on their own financial ties to each port.

So....

June 07, 2018.   

Cruise ship giant Carnival buys White Pass & Yukon Route

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/white-pass-train-sold-carnival-1.4696188

Note the last line in article:  Carnival's purchase of the White Pass and Yukon Route will include three docks in Skagway, that provide berths for some cruise ships.   

Aug 25, 2022.

WP&YR debates with MOS over status of port improvements and structures.

https://skagwaynews.com/2022/08/25/wpyr-debates-with-mos-over-status-of-port-improvements-and-structures/

The first line:  At midnight on March 18, 2023, the Skagway Port management will revert to the Municipality of Skagway (MOS), thus concluding a 55-year lease agreement...

The rest of the article shows the large disagreement between Skagway and the railroad (owned by Carnival) over who owns what when the lease expires.  No mention of actually extending the lease, or opening up for competitive bids.

For ISP, thank you for naming the company (Huna Totem) I was referring to.

It comes in handy for this press release by NCL last year.

Aug 23, 2022.

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Announces Donation of Waterfront Parcel in Juneau to Alaska Native-owned Huna Totem Corporation for New Pier Development

https://www.nclhltd.com/news-media/press-releases/detail/503/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-announces-donation-of

I guess I forgot to say "future" Juneau dock site.  And I'm certain that everyone in Juneau knows this

For Sitka, RCL is the only cruise line that has a financial outlay for it, whether that is full or partially owned.  The point is that they are the only cruise line to have done so, and will probably have an influence on the dock schedule.

• Thanks 1

And talk about timing...

In yesterday's Skagway News, the Mayor is optimistic that the work will be completed on time and their plan forward (a combination of bussing and tendering for 2 ships on railroad dock) can proceed.

They won't know this until early April, and the NCL Bliss (which can't use the other docks) will be there 18 April.

So still a wait and see.

https://skagwaynews.com/issues/feb-10-2023-the-skagway-news/

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

And talk about timing...

In yesterday's Skagway News, the Mayor is optimistic that the work will be completed on time and their plan forward (a combination of bussing and tendering for 2 ships on railroad dock) can proceed.

They won't know this until early April, and the NCL Bliss (which can't use the other docks) will be there 18 April.

So still a wait and see.

https://skagwaynews.com/issues/feb-10-2023-the-skagway-news/

Indeed.  Although, I'm still a bit confused, I thought skagway could only have 4 ships simultaneously if there are 2 extra large ships on the RR dock.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

Jumping in late here since we just booked--our Royal Princess cruise is scheduled to be in Skagway in mid-May.

Forgive my ignorance but based on what I've read, would our ship likely require bussing or tendering as well or would we be at another dock? Thanks 

https://www.cruisehive.com/alaska-port-rockslide-work-to-be-done-by-cruise-season/94215

14 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Hello:

Jumping in late here since we just booked--our Royal Princess cruise is scheduled to be in Skagway in mid-May.

Forgive my ignorance but based on what I've read, would our ship likely require bussing or tendering as well or would we be at another dock? Thanks 

https://www.cruisehive.com/alaska-port-rockslide-work-to-be-done-by-cruise-season/94215

As the schedule stands right now, all Royal Princess voyages to Skagway in May will dock at the forward position on the railroad pier.  In that case, you would be required to take a tender into Skagway.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

As the schedule stands right now, all Royal Princess voyages to Skagway in May will dock at the forward position on the railroad pier.  In that case, you would be required to take a tender into Skagway.

Thank you. We are doing a Princess excursion on the White Pass railway where a shuttle was supposed to pick us up to take us to the train station. I would think that the shuttle would pick us up at the other pier then.

24 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Thank you. We are doing a Princess excursion on the White Pass railway where a shuttle was supposed to pick us up to take us to the train station. I would think that the shuttle would pick us up at the other pier then.

If you are on a Princess Excursion, then I am sure that they will give you directions of what they want you to do. The cruise will have that organized.
Anybody on cruise sponsored excursions should be just fine. The cruise should communicate.

People who book independent excursions will want to be aware of where their ship is docked and pay attention to what the protocols are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, naturelovergirl said:

If you are on a Princess Excursion, then I am sure that they will give you directions of what they want you to do. The cruise will have that organized.
Anybody on cruise sponsored excursions should be just fine. The cruise should communicate.

People who book independent excursions will want to be aware of where their ship is docked and pay attention to what the protocols are.

I'm guessing info will be communicated a week or two before sailing.  It sounds like there will be testing in April in skagway, and that may change the assumptions for how this year will operate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oregonian123 said:

Hi, Do you mean COVID testing?

No, in some articles posted previously engineers in Skagway will be doing some testing and monitoring of the rocks.  This will be a key part of the solution for this year since ice melting in the rocks above the pier may have destabilized the hillside further.

45 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

No, in some articles posted previously engineers in Skagway will be doing some testing and monitoring of the rocks.  This will be a key part of the solution for this year since ice melting in the rocks above the pier may have destabilized the hillside further.

Thank you.

We’ll be on Discovery Princess mid June and are scheduled for RRF. I’m hopeful we’ll at least be able to tender and

keep Skagway on the itinerary. If not, then my best hope is for an alternate port rather than an extra at sea day. 

• Like 1

I’ll be on Bliss in October when she’s the only ship on the schedule that day in Skagway. I am hoping that tendering won’t be necessary by then. My one experience of tendering on that size of ship at great stirrup caye did not fill me with confidence so I’m hoping to avoid it in the future.

16 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I’ll be on Bliss in October when she’s the only ship on the schedule that day in Skagway. I am hoping that tendering won’t be necessary by then. My one experience of tendering on that size of ship at great stirrup caye did not fill me with confidence so I’m hoping to avoid it in the future.

I think the issue is that the largest ships are too large to dock at the other docks - but perhaps if you're on the only ship in town it will be ok?  I imagine the first month (April/May) will be a learning experience and we may see some ships go elsewhere because of issues related to tendering 3500+ pax.