Just off THE EDGE OUR REVIEW

The Med

1 hour ago, The Med said:

I didn’t go and listen to the Buddhist talks although they did sound interesting, the times didn’t work for me.

I would have preferred more variety on the speakers. A few years ago on another cruise line they had a retired English Poilce Detective talking about how they solved certain crimes. Now that was entertaining.

We are going on our third Celebrity soon and we have yet to see any speakers onboard. They list them on the to daily sheet right? I am guessing on the Connie with under 600 guests they didn't bother even though we were on a longer cruise.

I am curious about the shows on the edge as it seems they are still running the same ones we saw when she first sailed, not sure if we will rewatch or not. Sounds like you had the same singing acts we had on the Connie, I am curious how they rotate them around.

26 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

We are going on our third Celebrity soon and we have yet to see any speakers onboard. They list them on the to daily sheet right? I am guessing on the Connie with under 600 guests they didn't bother even though we were on a longer cruise.

Yes they are listed on the daily sheet.

They tend to put them on on sea days. I’m not sure whether it’s only on the larger ships though. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dodger1964 said:

Thanks for your review.

We are on ship at end of the month.

We have only ever eaten in the buffet (or in our room, ordering from MDR menu...which I am hearing is no longer offered), so this will be our first cruise (we are "budget" elite plus...so have sailed many times) to actually eat in the MDR.  I am not really looking forward to it, but will make the best of it! 

I’d give the buffet a go before deciding.

We also got fed up with the main dining room and ate in the buffet a few nights.

We always found something to eat even if it wasn’t what we would have usually chosen. The choice is severely limited and I struggled to find healthy food. However on those nights we were tired and it was preferable to sitting in the dining room for ages.

On my first post where I referred to only a few scraggy bits of cheese….this was later in the evening after we had been to Eden and I was still hungry.

We had an overnight in Aruba, got off the ship at 5.30 and got back on at 8.00pm. There was a full buffet that night and also it was very busy.

1 hour ago, cw2go said:

Thank you, I'll give a report in bullet form (not a full review) once I return. I am super excited to get back to cruising, last for me was May 2019 Europe. 

I am also booked on The Ascent so I'll get to see what Capt. Tasos is all about X2! 😊

Patty 

Or maybe Captain Dimitrios, since they will rotate on and off.  We have sailed with both and Dimitrios is as entertaining and maybe more visible than Tasso. Either way it is a win. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Med said:

FOOD MAIN RESTAURANT 

UnfortunatelyThe Main Dining rooms lacked quality and choice. 
They like to give the impression that it’s 4 different restaurants. It REALLY ISN’T.

Same thing every night,in each restaurant

Did they change things up?  We sailed on Edge in March 2020 and they had both a common menu in all 4 restaurants but also had a few unique items each night in each of the 4 restaurants.  We really enjoyed it

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Or maybe Captain Dimitrios, since they will rotate on and off.  We have sailed with both and Dimitrios is as entertaining and maybe more visible than Tasso. Either way it is a win. 

Good to know! 

Told My DH who is retired Navy that they didn't have Captains nearly as pretty or handsome or FUN as Celebrity! 😊

Patty  

26 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Did they change things up?  We sailed on Edge in March 2020 and they had both a common menu in all 4 restaurants but also had a few unique items each night in each of the 4 restaurants.  We really enjoyed it

Yes they changed it, and yes they had a common theme in all four and a few unique items.

I’ve always previously enjoyed it up until this cruise.

I’m not particularly fussy. My husband doesn’t cook so when I go on holiday I’m generally happy just to have food prepared for me.

However this time I was struggling to find something that I fancied. I don’t want to eat food that I can cook at home, I want decent restaurant quality healthy food. 
For example…oxtail. Where we come from, that’s a cheap cut  of meat that you would make soup from. It certainly wouldn’t be served up as a main course in a decent restaurant. 

One night I had 2 starters because there was absolutely nothing else that I fancied. As I’ve said though, even though I had steak at the steak restaurant I’m not really a meat eater. So anyone that likes pork chops or lamb or chicken would have found more to eat than me and therefore have a totally different opinion. 

• Thanks 1

I was on Beyond 1/15-1/22 and would have a similar review about the dinning, especially Ocean View for dinner, it was awful.  Le Voyage was wonderful, as it should be for $90pp, Eden was good for us as well.   The pool deck on sea days was like a funeral, boring, no band, no DJ, still don't know who are cruise director was...  I have a 10 day March 2024 Ultimate S. Caribbean booked...seriously considering cancelling, not sure I could have been on the last cruise 3 more days (first time I've ever felt this way) 

I am pretty easy to please, and hate coming on here seeing negativity....but I just want to inform those who have not sailed in 1.5years or so, IT IS DIFFERENT. 

Edited by Tyler414
Additional comment
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

I couldn't agree more...Troll Cheerleader Frenzy!😁

Doubt it, a good constructive review and negative on the dining. Nobody could turn that into a cheerleading frenzy, not even me! Although I am still not happy to be classed as one 😡😡😂. Doubt we will ever try e class ships just based on what we see here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

I was on Beyond 1/15-1/22 and would have a similar review about the dinning, especially Ocean View for dinner, it was awful.  Le Voyage was wonderful, as it should be for $90pp, Eden was good for us as well.   The pool deck on sea days was like a funeral, boring, no band, no DJ, still don't know who are cruise director was...  I have a 10 day March 2024 Ultimate S. Caribbean booked...seriously considering cancelling, not sure I could have been on the last cruise 3 more days (first time I've ever felt this way) 

I am pretty easy to please, and hate coming on here seeing negativity....but I just want to inform those who have not sailed in 1.5years or so, IT IS DIFFERENT. 

This is so disheartening! 😒

Patty 

It is a wonderful idea to rotate your dining in all of the restaurants- great choices-  Loved the Grill on top of the ship.  Really enjoyed Eden and the steak house.  We do not eat sushi- so not for us-  Found the food very good and my DH who is a truly fussy eater also enjoyed.  Also fun in Le Petite  chef restaurant.  

I guess to each his/her own- going on the Apex for the third time in March- even better then Edge and I heard the beyond is even better then both.  We are in a suite.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

The pool deck on sea days was like a funeral, boring, no band, no DJ, still don't know who are cruise director was...

I will say that we like a little quiet on the Lido deck vs a band or DJ playing too loud to even hear others talking to you

I take it you’re a bit younger and maybe why you have opposite views.  But that’s cool.  However I’m sure Celebrity is catering more to a more laid back crowd

Edited by Cruise till you drop

19 hours ago, The Med said:

FOOD MAIN RESTAURANT 

UnfortunatelyThe Main Dining rooms lacked quality and choice. 
They like to give the impression that it’s 4 different restaurants. It REALLY ISN’T.

Same thing every night ,in each restaurant.

NOT quite true.

OK...each of the themed restaurants has their own items & they do not change nightly. 

BUT there is a "main dining" menu that is ALSO on each restaurants' menu & this DOES change daily.

(and of course the "always available" doesn't change)

Our friends were on last month & confirmed this. 

Also confirmed on their website:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-edge/eat-and-drink/main-dining

Edited by KKB

15 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Thanks for the review and confirmation the specialty dining is a waste of money. Our only experience with specialty dining was on another line for 30 a person and we felt cheated so won’t be going that route on Celebrity at far higher prices. 

Hopefully the food is good when we are on. We will give our honest opinions too. In laws just got back from the constellation and loved the food and rebooked but I could tell the menus were more limited along with things like the minute steak not being at the lunch buffet. They were first time Celebrity. Time will tell for us. 

Another POV for you.

We have sailed Celebrity 9 times in the last 10 years (plus other lines)

While I feel Celebrity's MDR's are the best on mainstream lines--so are their specialty restaurants, imo!

We do NOT generally pay for specialty dining. 

But it is SO fantastic on Celebrity Eclass that it is a worthy splurge for me!(except rooftop--good Im sure but overpriced for bar food, imo)

The GOOD news is--again, MDR is so good, specialty dining isn't NECESSARY.

We did Eden on Edge & Apex--can't wait for Beyond!

As far as OP not liking the lobster dish--ALWAYS send back something if you don't like it! They will bend over backward to get you something you like.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KKB said:

NOT quite true.

OK...each of the themed restaurants has their own items & they do not change nightly.

BUT there is a "main dining" menu that is ALSO on each restaurants' menu & this DOES change daily.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-edge/eat-and-drink/main-dining

Thanks for confirming this as this is how it was in March 2020 and hoping it’s the same way on our March Panama Canal cruise this year

7 hours ago, sharonann24 said:

We leave on the Edge next Monday for the Panama Canal/Southern Caribbean cruise.  We have an Infinite Veranda on Deck 7, so I will be interested in that experience.  We have no specialty restaurants booked, primarily because we are traveling with my father and brother and sister in law, and Dad is old school--MDR at traditional seating time at 8:30 all the way.  We have done specialty restaurants on NCL but only when they were included in our reservation, since I agree the prices are high.  Don't care about the dinner buffet since we never eat there, but I am glad the breakfast and lunch buffets are still good.  This is our first Celebrity cruise and after reading some of the reviews I am getting a little concerned.  Keeping an open mind, however since the itinerary is a first for us.    I will be reading all week!

We LOVE E-class. 

IVs--I find them similar to a covered balcony. 

You will have a wonderful time!

13 minutes ago, KKB said:

Another POV for you.

While I feel Celebrity's MDR's are the best on mainstream lines--so are their specialty restaurants, imo!

But it is SO fantastic on Celebrity Eclass that it is a worthy splurge for me!(except rooftop--good Im sure but overpriced for bar food, imo)

As far as OP not liking the lobster dish--ALWAYS send back something if you don't like it! They will bend over backward to get you something you like.

Thanks for your input, have you cruised since re-start or Jan 1st of this year? 

Patty 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Thanks for confirming this as this is how it was in March 2020 and hoping it’s the same way on our March Panama Canal cruise this year

You can look at the app, the menus are listed under each venue. Everyday, nightly and the actual dining room specific specialty items. They are more limited than March of 2020 

Patty

1 hour ago, KKB said:

NOT quite true.

(and of course the "always available" doesn't change)

To expand a little bit, as you mention each MDR restaurant has a few appetizers and entrees that are themed after the restaurant.  There were items beyond the themed dishes that you would get in any of the 4 MDR's that night plus as you mention some items were available every night and in all 4 MDR's

Our favorite was Cyprus and eating the Lamb shank(found only in Cyprus).  We went there 2 times on our recent Beyond sailing in January 2023.

We thought the service was excellent and had made the pre cruise decision to only eat in the MDR's and to also not do any excursions.  We made Beyond our destination. I could do that again based on the high (IMHO) speciality dining pricing

Our production shows were good and the comedian was great.  He was so good, that they figured out how to have him do an afternoon show in addition to the 2 shows on his scheduled night.

I loved the Oceanview cafe.  At night with the lights on and very few people there, it was a neat sense of how long and tall the Oceanview Cafe was.  

I do understand that Beyond is different than Apex and Edge.  I looked at  Acent's deck plans for the public spaces and it looked the same but for a few changes from Beyond's deck plans, (that I could see)

We also had Captain Kate and she was very outgoing and approachable throughout the cruise and was on the ramps as we got off the ship along with Alexia, the cruise manager.

Would sail Beyond again and look forward to sailing Acent.  I am 50/50 on Infinite verandas.  With the mechanical curtain/blinds down, was not able to get up at night and move curtains and see the ocean without waking DW.  The extra room was very nice.

Sorry for tangents.  We did not try the fee based  room service and we were on port side behind the elevators, which location seemed to cut down on a lot of walk by traffic.

Our sailing had about 2100 passengers vs about 3200 capacity

Edited by shipshape sam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cw2go said:

Thanks for your input, have you cruised since re-start or Jan 1st of this year? 

Patty 

No but our friends were on the Edge last month, after sailing on the Edge with us July 2021 & felt things were more the same than different.

One big difference they noticed more soot on chairs.

9 minutes ago, sharonann24 said:

Thanks for the response!   Reading all of these posts are making me a bit nervous.  

Don’t be nervous.

I’ve tried to give an honest review but really, we still had a wonderful holiday. The sun mainly shone, we visited destinations that we hadn’t been to before, our cabin was spacious and sunny, we had fun.

The food is only a part of the holiday, and although we found it disappointing, we just got on with it and didn’t let it define our vacation.

Enjoy it, embrace the good things and don’t let the bad things spoil your fun. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Med said:

Don’t be nervous.

I’ve tried to give an honest review but really, we still had a wonderful holiday. The sun mainly shone, we visited destinations that we hadn’t been to before, our cabin was spacious and sunny, we had fun.

The food is only a part of the holiday, and although we found it disappointing, we just got on with it and didn’t let it define our vacation.

Enjoy it, embrace the good things and don’t let the bad things spoil your fun. 

Thanks.  As I mentioned I am traveling with family and I'm sure that we will be sticking with the same MDR as my dad likes the "old school" dining experience--same waiter, bus person, etc.  This is my "retirement trip" and has been planned since July 2021.  Looking forward to low key ports, sun, reading on deck, and general relaxation (with a little culture mixed in!) Our last trip was a river cruise in November to the Christmas Markets so this is definitely a different vibe.  

11 minutes ago, sharonann24 said:

As I mentioned I am traveling with family and I'm sure that we will be sticking with the same MDR as my dad likes the "old school" dining experience--same waiter, bus person, etc.

See the Maitre'd as soon you board. They should be able to arrange that for you.

3 hours ago, KKB said:

Another POV for you.

While I am sure the food is good, we are so spoiled back home steak wise. We can go out and I can get a great cut of ribeye or T-bone or porterhouse  and the wife gets a good fish fry and each have an old fashioned and we are out the door with a 20 plus percent tip for around 80$. 

I would love Eden, but our Constellation cruise was the first cruise my wife didn’t eat off the classic menu. She is not an adventurous eater so the specialty restaurants would be lost on her. I may try raw on 5 for the sushi rolls, time will tell. Honestly cruises for me are the time I get to eat all the different foods I don’t get around home. 

There is hope last weekend my wife sampled an Indian dish my daughter picked out at Costco and she really liked it. It was a little bland for me but baby steps:)

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1