How many Euros do you recommend?

RTR 21-0

We’ll be on our first European cruise in May, staying in Rome two days pre and one day post cruise.  Stops will be in Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Kotor and Zakynthos.  We will be using a credit card which has a 0% transaction fee for most dining and most tours will be pre-purchased.  I know everyone is different, but how much have past European travelers found they normally needed in Euros for spending on a daily basis?  Also, would it be better to get them at a local bank or get when we arrive in Rome and what is the easiest way to do that in Rome?  Thanks in advance for all replies.  

• Like 1

If you look around the board, you will see the "where do I get euros" topic discussed here quite frequently. ATM in country, at a bank is the cheapest and safest. Don't fall for the "I got my euros for no fees at XXX in the US" because the exchange rate is usually terrible.

Most everything will be on your credit card. We didn't even use 200 euros on a 3 week land trip, eating lunch and dinner at cafes and restaurants very day.

• Thanks 1

As a very independent and experienced traveler I would just offer some basic advice.  We find it wise to have enough cash (Euros) to cover any restaurant/cafe tab.  There is always the chance that a credit card can be denied or the system down, and than having cash avoids any kind of delay.  I still recall one evening in Bruges, when the entire CC system went down.  We had just finished a pretty expensive dinner and did not have enough Euros.  I had to run out and walk a few blocks to find a working ATM to get enough Euros (there were others following me...which was the blind leading the blind).

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone is different.  I tend to use cash rather than cards unless it's a big amount.  Since I know I'll be back within a year (unless there's another Covid-like shutdown) I don't worry about having some leftover.

While credit card use in Italy is has been increasing for decades and is up significantly post-Covid, small purchases are still generally done in cash.  I'm often amazed in the States when I see someone buying a $2 bottle of water with a card, you won't see that in Italy (or at least not often).  Some taxis will accept cards, some will not (or will claim the machine doesn't work).

Since it sounds like most of your time is quite programmed, wait and use an ATM in Italy.  Withdraw an odd amount (90 euro vs. 100) so you don't get two big bills that are hard to use.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisin73 said:

I've read on other threads that getting your Euro's at the bank is better then just going to an ATM somewhere.  

You cannot walk into a bank in Italy and get cash unless you have an account with them.

You can get euros from your bank in the States but it really only makes sense if you need a lot of cash upon arrival.  In the old days, when rentals were paid for in cash on the first day it was often necessary to get it from the bank before leaving home, because you wouldn't be able to withdraw that much all at once in Italy.  Now that almost everyone doing rentals is following the law and reporting transactions you can usually pay by credit card or transfer funds directly.

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Everyone is different.  I tend to use cash rather than cards unless it's a big amount.  Since I know I'll be back within a year (unless there's another Covid-like shutdown) I don't worry about having some leftover.

While credit card use in Italy is has been increasing for decades and is up significantly post-Covid, small purchases are still generally done in cash.  I'm often amazed in the States when I see someone buying a $2 bottle of water with a card, you won't see that in Italy (or at least not often).  Some taxis will accept cards, some will not (or will claim the machine doesn't work).

Since it sounds like most of your time is quite programmed, wait and use an ATM in Italy.  Withdraw an odd amount (90 euro vs. 100) so you don't get two big bills that are hard to use.

It is a different world in some northern European countries where cash is hardly used....at all.  You would be among the rare folks if you even paid for a coffee with cash.  They use cards for everything and it is all about just tapping or just being in the vicinity as you seldom see anyone actually show a card.  I suspect that in the next 5 years, phone usage will almost make cards obsolete.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

You cannot walk into a bank in Italy and get cash unless you have an account with them.

You can get euros from your bank in the States but it really only makes sense if you need a lot of cash upon arrival.  In the old days, when rentals were paid for in cash on the first day it was often necessary to get it from the bank before leaving home, because you wouldn't be able to withdraw that much all at once in Italy.  Now that almost everyone doing rentals is following the law and reporting transactions you can usually pay by credit card or transfer funds directly.

My understanding  from other threads I've read is you go to the ATM at a bank and you can get Euros that way.  The advice was not to go to any ATM on the street or at the airport.

O fellow Bama fan, here's where I get on the marketing soapbox and strongly recommend that you open an account with Schwab Bank. There's a few steps to jump through, but you end up with a debit card that doesn't mark up the currency translation when you make a withdrawal (unlike my regular bank, which charges 3%), refunds any ATM fees that the other guy might charge, and doesn't charge add on translation fees if you use it for debit/credit card transactions.

We got such an account about a decade ago, and it has been wonderful for traveling. 

This way you can stop at a reputable ATM and get cash very easily.  I usually pick mine up at the arriving airport before leaving. 

I am sure if you do some digging, you'll find more than a few people on these boards have good things to say about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

here's where I get on the marketing soapbox and strongly recommend that you open an account with Schwab Bank. There's a few steps to jump through, but you end up with a debit card that doesn't mark up the currency translation when you make a withdrawal (unlike my regular bank, which charges 3%), refunds any ATM fees that the other guy might charge, and doesn't charge add on translation fees if you use it for debit/credit card transactions.

Schwab was among the first, as was Capital One (which I use), to offer this.  After I set up my CapOne account years ago for travel, the rules changed a bit but my account was grandfathered in. I think some other companies offer similar accounts if you do the research.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Senga said:

I recommend 100 euros a day and always purchase foreign currency at home before leaving on a trip.  Don't want to waste travel time once we arrive.

Wow...that is a lot of money. If I am in Europe for 3 weeks, 2100 euros cash? Really?

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Wow...that is a lot of money. If I am in Europe for 3 weeks, 2100 euros cash? Really?

My opinion.  We use cash for everything except hotels and high priced souvenirs.

21 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just depends on how you spend your $.  Some folks don't want to come home to a credit card bill. They take out $ and when it's spent, it's spent 🙂

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Just depends on how you spend your $.  Some folks don't want to come home to a credit card bill. They take out $ and when it's spent, it's spent 🙂

On the other hand, depending on what the money is used for, purchasing items with a credit card often provides some protection if the item turns out to be defective, not as promised, or is shipped to you broken (or never arrives). 

Also, carrying large sums of money also has its risks...you have to think about carrying it safely.

• Like 1

Since covid, most places in europe seem to take debit/credit cards. I don't like the idea of buying euros in the US and then traveling with them, I'd worry about getting robbed. I would use a bank's ATM machine (any bank, obviously my bank wouldn't be there), and my bank doesn't change transaction fees, BUT I have found that some banks will show your withdrawal as the total amount including their transaction fee. We just told Schwab about it and they credited back the fee. 

For our upcoming cruise, I'm getting 100 euros for the transportation to port (they want cash). Other than that, I won't get cash unless I have to. Whoever commented on requesting an "odd" amount like 90 instead of 100 is spot on, I hate when I end up with two 50 euro bills!

Side note, We had a taxi driver in Paris tell us his credit card machine didn't work, so, at his cost/stopped meter, he drove us to an ATM, drove us back to our location and we paid him. 

On 2/6/2023 at 6:18 PM, Hlitner said:

As a very independent and experienced traveler I would just offer some basic advice.  We find it wise to have enough cash (Euros) to cover any restaurant/cafe tab. 

Hank

This is good advice. Virtually everywhere in Western Europe will accept (and often prefer) payment by card, even for small amounts.  When travelling we tend to take enough to cover cash tips for tour guides and a back up for a card not working, but nothing else.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 5:38 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

We’ll be on our first European cruise in May, staying in Rome two days pre and one day post cruise.  Stops will be in Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Kotor and Zakynthos.  

Off topic - but this is a fantastic itinerary for a first Med Cruise. Dubrovnik and Kotor are two of our favourite ports.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Simon-t said:

Off topic - but this is a fantastic itinerary for a first Med Cruise. Dubrovnik and Kotor are two of our favourite ports.

Thank you Simon-t!  We are pretty excited about it.  The one we had booked last May but had to cancel was to my dream spots - Rome, Naples, Santorini & Mykonos.   But the more I’ve read about the stops on this itinerary I’m glad it didn’t work out last year.  I’m so anxious to see Kotor, May can’t get here fast enough!