Taxis at LA Cruise Port

WanderingTheWorld

When I was there there last Saturday there was a taxi rank on an island between the building and the parking lot.  There were no taxis waiting (just one leaving) but there was a dispatcher.  Sign had approximate fares (no flat rate), LAX was $65.

I checked Uber at that moment and it was $63 to LAX for UberX.  

Edited by BOB999
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were one of the first off the ship after walk offs as a Suite Guest.    I immediately summoned a Uber and after waiting over 5 minutes without my ride being accept I said let's just grab a cab.    There were 2 waiting and we were the 3rd there.   Another pulled up withing 30 seconds and we were away.

Personal opinion only as we were on a b2b and I was watching the Uber / Lyft apps in anticipation of our departure the next week.   We had an 11:00 flight.      Noticed prices right at 7:15 to be normal and then 10 minutes later surge to over $100.00   then about 30 minutes later drop only to surge again.     I have a feeling that the limited numbers of drivers in the area know if they start not accepting rides it kicks in the Surge Logarithm and the prices surge.  

I found the Taxi rate were a little higher than the lowest price but far lower than the surged prices.    The taxi to LAX was similar to our cost from LAX to San Pedro.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were one of the first off the ship after walk offs as a Suite Guest.    I immediately summoned a Uber and after waiting over 5 minutes without my ride being accept I said let's just grab a cab.    There were 2 waiting and we were the 3rd there.   Another pulled up withing 30 seconds and we were away.

Personal opinion only as we were on a b2b and I was watching the Uber / Lyft apps in anticipation of our departure the next week.   We had an 11:00 flight.      Noticed prices right at 7:15 to be normal and then 10 minutes later surge to over $100.00   then about 30 minutes later drop only to surge again.     I have a feeling that the limited numbers of drivers in the area know if they start not accepting rides it kicks in the Surge Logarithm and the prices surge.  

I found the Taxi rate were a little higher than the lowest price but far lower than the surged prices.    The taxi to LAX was similar to our cost from LAX to San Pedro.

How much was the taxi?

30 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

How much was the taxi?

Taxis have been as little as $35 and as much as $70.  Totally dependent on traffic. Sunday morning is 70mph the whole ride.  Weekday mornings often stopped.

Also use Lyft and they give a choice of waiting a few minutes for a lower rate.  With Uber or Lyft you can lock in a rate by setting a time ahead on the app.  Jim/Iian correct pricing often crazy.

• Like 2

We were at the port last Saturday as well. We booked the ships shuttle service for $35 per person. Well worth it. Walked off the ship at 8am. Collected our bags and boarded the bus just outside baggage claim. We arrived at LAX about 8:45am. 

20 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Taxis have been as little as $35 and as much as $70.  Totally dependent on traffic. Sunday morning is 70mph the whole ride.  Weekday mornings often stopped.

Also use Lyft and they give a choice of waiting a few minutes for a lower rate.  With Uber or Lyft you can lock in a rate by setting a time ahead on the app.  Jim/Iian correct pricing often crazy.

Are you sure it's only as little as $35, for a taxi?  I believe its at least $70 and wouldn't be surprised if it's $100

While you can lock a ride share rate, the drivers have to accept them and probably won't during high surge times

I live somewhat in the vicinity and have taken two ride shares home from the port in the past 4 months, neither time was surging much.  Based on how much I paid in fees and per mile, I would estimate that had I gone to LAX instead of home at the current pricing it would have been $40-$45.  Both times we self-carried off

• Like 1

Hi, we are getting off a ship in April and have a flight home at 1540 the same day, does anyone know a company that offers any excursions that go from the ship, a bit of sightseeing and then drop off at the airport, the cruiseline have none on offer, we've been to LA before but just don't want to be waiting around at the airport all day.

2 hours ago, welshrich said:

Hi, we are getting off a ship in April and have a flight home at 1540 the same day, does anyone know a company that offers any excursions that go from the ship, a bit of sightseeing and then drop off at the airport, the cruiseline have none on offer, we've been to LA before but just don't want to be waiting around at the airport all day.

Sunseeker Tours does, but I am not sure on the timeline.

https://sunseekertours.com/

LAX Airport Express Shuttle would do it too, but it would be more expensive since it would be a private tour.

https://airportexpressshuttle.com/tours/hollywood

• Like 1

This past saturday at 730am-ish would have been around $30 to get from the port to the airport and that's per ride...I live roughly halfway from the port to the LAX airport; L.A. bundles in mandatory fees before they start tacking on mileage so based on this fare below and using napkin math uber/lyft to LAX would been roughly $30

image.png.e633a6927aff4daf3bc75aaa418809ba.png

On 2/7/2023 at 3:13 PM, WanderingTheWorld said:

When disembarking in LA, are there plenty of taxis ready to head to the airport? Also, does anyone have an idea of the fare? Some cruise ports (Seattle, Miami) charge a flat rate to reach the airport. I wasn't sure if this was available in LA.

LAX is too far from Long Beach or San Pedro for flat rate because there are so many variables.

I'd expect Uber or Lyft to be close to $40-45, but there are lots of variable too in their pricing models (demand, traffic, etc). I am surprised some say they were as low as $32, but it is possible on a weekend, especially a Sunday, when demand is low. Uber and Lyft have been more expensive lately because of fewer drivers and higher gas prices.