Kids club - Can kids sleep?

Angie2045

For kiddos in the 3-6 age group, does the kids club provide blankets in the kids clubs? My daughter will be 3 when we head off on our cruise and will likely want to sleep around 7pm when the club opens. Is there a space and blankets for her to nod off? 

Also, for the shows, what time does the early show start at? 

Thanks! 

Angie 

I don't know for sure, but I don't think they let kids sleep in the clubs except for the nursery. Between 7 and 10 the clubs are quite active and loud, with group participation highly encouraged. After 10 they chill more, but I've never seen a kid sleeping even at 11 to 12.

y'all are so fast and helpful! 

While I have you here...I heard there are additional club activities you can sign up for (i.e. science, imagination etc.), can you sign up before boarding, or is that something that needs to be booked when on board? Just wondering what I need to run and book right away and what can be done beforehand. I am booked on the Icon and am a little nervous about whether or not RCC will be prepared for the additional amount of kids that will likely be on this sailing. Given its the first ship geared towards small kids and families, I would imagine the amount of kids will be more than on any other sailing. I wonder how that will impact kid related activities such as the kids club bookings. 

11 minutes ago, Angie2045 said:

While I have you here...I heard there are additional club activities you can sign up for (i.e. science, imagination etc.), can you sign up before boarding, or is that something that needs to be booked when on board? Just wondering what I need to run and book right away and what can be done beforehand. I am booked on the Icon and am a little nervous about whether or not RCC will be prepared for the additional amount of kids that will likely be on this sailing. Given its the first ship geared towards small kids and families, I would imagine the amount of kids will be more than on any other sailing. I wonder how that will impact kid related activities such as the kids club bookings. 

Those extras are just scheduled during normal club hours and they take the whole club. They used to publish all the schedules, now they don't. I guess that one sheet of paper was breaking the bank. So on my last Allure cruise my DD had to walk by the science lab to and from the club and begged to do it, but never got to because we had no idea when they went, if ever.

I really hate that they stopped publishing a schedule.

46 minutes ago, Angie2045 said:

1) in our experience..... go to kids club and sign up fairly soon after boarding.... that will get your kids registered in the system as "eligible".  I believe.... and could be corrected here.... but they cut off the "registrations" once they deem the kids club "full for the week"... if you're signed up you'll have no problem dropping your kids off at any point

2) there are "theme" nights.... on Harmony in December they were scheduled in advance and the list was available from kids club when signing up.. (I also want to say it was in the printed cruise compass we requested each day from guest services?).... also ask about the extra activities at sign up, they should be able to list them as well

3) Kids club is LOUD..... I mean DEAFENING when activities are going on. Each time we picked our kids up I wondered if the staff would wear ear plugs just to survive...... so sleeping... I'm going with probably not (this was the 9-11 category however)

Edited by NateUpNorth

32 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Thank you for your comments! That was super helpful. I was wondering how the kids club managed capacity so how you described it makes sense. I will be sure to head straight to the kids club upon boarding. My kiddos are younger (3 & 6) so I am hoping the clubs will be quieter in the evenings, but I can imagine how crazy they likely will be. I have heard breakfast can be a nightmare with crowds. We are up pretty early and are likely to be eating around 7:30am. Did you find the windjammer to be busy at that time? Or is it more crazy closer to 9am? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Angie2045 said:

Windjammer is crazy in the morning.  I think everyone is going around the same times for breakfast.  It's not so bad for dinner and lunch.  You can also go to the MDR for breakfast.

7:30 a.m. can be busy, especially if it's a port day and people have to get out for excursions.

Edited by moposh

My son was 3 on his first cruise and he still took naps. Since he took a nice nap in the middle of the day, he had no problem staying up through dinner in MDR (while watching cartoons on a tablet with headphones) and seeing some early shows. For late shows one of us had to stay in the cabin with him when he slept at night, with the other one going to see a show. Then we switched.

This was also the one and only cruise on which DS agreed to go to the kid's club. He lasted 20 minutes after which they asked us to come get him. He is going to be 12 in 2 weeks and to this day he refuses to go to the kid's club on the cruise. Just my 2 cents - be prepared if your kid doesn't want to go.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

31 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

My son was 3 on his first cruise and he still took naps. Since he took a nice nap in the middle of the day, he had no problem staying up through dinner in MDR (while watching cartoons on a tablet with headphones) and seeing some early shows. For late shows one of us had to stay in the cabin with him when he slept at night, with the other one going to see a show. Then we switched.

This was also the one and only cruise on which DS agreed to go to the kid's club. He lasted 20 minutes after which they asked us to come get him. He is going to be 12 in 2 weeks and to this day he refuses to go to the kid's club on the cruise. Just my 2 cents - be prepared if your kid doesn't want to go.

True. Some kids absolutely love it while others just don’t. DGS went once when he was about seven and flatly refused to go back. 

2 hours ago, Angie2045 said:

Windjammer can be busy for sure... you may have more success going to the MDR for breakfast... we found we had no trouble getting a table with minimum wait and seemed we always were seated at table for just the 4 of us.

Edited by NateUpNorth

Angie - with all kindness, I think it is very unkind to drop off a 3 year old (a 3 year old!) at a loud, crowded, bright venue with the expectation that they could sleep while you are off having a good time.  It feels rather selfish to me. At that age, a child should be comfortably in bed and not in a loud, unfamiliar environment without a parent nearby. Your beloved child will grow up fast enough for you to enjoy your cruises (trust me - I have traveled with my children from when they were 3 and 5 to now 18 and 20). Be with them now when they really need you.  The kids clubs are for fun, not child care.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CruiseDad-NYC said:

Angie - with all kindness, I think it is very unkind to drop off a 3 year old (a 3 year old!) at a loud, crowded, bright venue with the expectation that they could sleep while you are off having a good time.  It feels rather selfish to me. At that age, a child should be comfortably in bed and not in a loud, unfamiliar environment without a parent nearby. Your beloved child will grow up fast enough for you to enjoy your cruises (trust me - I have traveled with my children from when they were 3 and 5 to now 18 and 20). Be with them now when they really need you.  The kids clubs are for fun, not child care.

Agreed. We love cruising, but took time off from it until the kids where old enough enjoy it themselves. I want them to enjoy vacation, not just come with. When we started cruising again they tried the kids club, but didn't want to go much. It didn't bother me that they weren't interested, I was always a bit hesitant about leaving them their anyways. It's all strangers in a strange place, so I was fine with going things as a family. Being a good parent at times means being selfless.

• Like 1

Not sure about your daughters age as we started sailing when our kids were 8 and 10.  At that age there were some activities that took place outside the club, like on the sports court etc and partcipation was required.  This was more often in daytime hours, but there might be times when they go over to the AO theater too.  The clubs have some mobility so I am not sure how a child could sleep if they are changing locations.  Looking into private in room sitting or putting the child in the nursery (paid by the hour) might be a better solution if you expect the child to need a quiet place to sleep undisturbed.  

As others have noted, children (especially at 3) may not always like the kids club.  My 3 year old loved the kids club on Adventure Ocean last August but refused to attend the NCL Getaway kids club (she and her brothers confirmed they do less stuff with the kids and more nintendo switch, and she was bored).  

also, I'd be prepared for the possibility that she will not sleep at 7 pm in the kids club if she likes the activities there.  My kids would stay up past their bedtimes when they liked the kids club and just slept in the next morning, so that's something to consider when you are designing your tours.

If your child doesn't like the kids club because they are having trouble separating, please bear in mind that many ships have a room for under 3s with soft padded toys, and your 3 year old might be quite happy there.  You'd have to stay but could bring a book. 

1 hour ago, SNemeth said:

Not sure about your daughters age as we started sailing when our kids were 8 and 10.  At that age there were some activities that took place outside the club, like on the sports court etc and partcipation was required.  This was more often in daytime hours, but there might be times when they go over to the AO theater too.  The clubs have some mobility so I am not sure how a child could sleep if they are changing locations.  Looking into private in room sitting or putting the child in the nursery (paid by the hour) might be a better solution if you expect the child to need a quiet place to sleep undisturbed.  

They stopped doing in room sitting quite a few years ago.