Upgrades after final payment?

familycruzer

I am booked on a 12 night cruise in an OV cabin. I prefer balconies but it was way out of my price range. Say I paid $1700 a person for the OV and after final payment the prices drop and the balcony comes down to what I paid for the OV, can I upgrade? 

7 minutes ago, familycruzer said:

I am booked on a 12 night cruise in an OV cabin. I prefer balconies but it was way out of my price range. Say I paid $1700 a person for the OV and after final payment the prices drop and the balcony comes down to what I paid for the OV, can I upgrade? 

Yes, as long as you are going UP in category (and price - even if it is only $1,00). I have done it numerous times in the past - purchased a regular upgrade after final payment. Just be aware that you will then get current promotional perks (sometimes different than what you had with your original reservation). 

Edited by TrumpyNor
Additions.

7 minutes ago, familycruzer said:

I've received multiple emails offering an upgrade and I'm cruising within a month.

My NCL account also offers upgrade opportunities.

None of these are attractive to me so I've not pursued this.

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

I've received multiple emails offering an upgrade and I'm cruising within a month.

My NCL account also offers upgrade opportunities.

None of these are attractive to me so I've not pursued this.

I believe that OP is talking about purchasing a regular upgrade, not the "upgrade advantage program".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Yes, as long as you are going UP in category (and price - even if it is only $1,00). I have done it numerous times in the past - purchased a regular upgrade after final payment. Just be aware that you will then get current promotional perks (sometimes different than what you had with your original reservation). 

Perks don’t matter to me other than drinks and I don’t think I’ve seen that one go away. 

• Like 1

Just now, familycruzer said:

Perks don’t matter to me other than drinks and I don’t think I’ve seen that one go away. 

There was a recent increase in the daily service charges as well, be rebooking you would get the new rates for that (just a few dollars per cruise though). 🙂

2 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

There was a recent increase in the daily service charges as well, be rebooking you would get the new rates for that (just a few dollars per cruise though). 🙂

I didn’t think of that but still worth it, the staff deserves the extra pay in my opinion 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, familycruzer said:

Just to clarify, the price of the balcony has to come down to no lower that a penny more than what you booked your OV for.  If it is the same or lower, you can't upgrade.  I was bit by this last fall and had to make the "sacrifice" to upgrade all the way to an aft balcony.😎

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Just to clarify, the price of the balcony has to come down to no lower that a penny more than what you booked your OV for.  If it is the same or lower, you can't upgrade.  I was bit by this last fall and had to make the "sacrifice" to upgrade all the way to an aft balcony.😎

I would take that sacrifice in a heart beat but was shocked an aft was even open 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Minimama said:

I see the prices went down on my cruise and the upgrade to a mini suite is $600 less than my balcony. Would I be able to upgrade and get the difference in onboard credit?

You can only upgrade if the better cabin is at least .01 more than what you paid

Edited by KSSS2013
  • Like 1

As others have said, you can generally get an upgrade as long as it’s a paid upgrade.

Don’t expect them to give you anything for free, or to get money back. But by all means, look for a better cabin that’s selling for slightly more than your final payment price, and then call and ask to upgrade.

They’re happy to take more of your money, and you get a better cabin. Everyone wins!

On 2/8/2023 at 11:56 AM, familycruzer said:

I would take that sacrifice in a heart beat but was shocked an aft was even open 

I guess we got lucky.  It was on a Joy ten day New England cruise in October.  Surprisingly, the weather was great the entire cruise and I took more than one afternoon "nap" on the aft balcony.  That said, just as with regular balconies, this inside steerage rat would never pay full retail for one.  The observation lounges, great outdoors, waterfront, etc. all have bars.  I was shocked to find that my (usually expensive) aft balcony did not!

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2023 at 1:15 PM, familycruzer said:

Hypothetically yes you can. My PCC was able to get a "one time" courtesy cabin upgrade on my US-based reservation. After, he said any upgrade has to cost more than the cost of the current reservation. Whether your PCC or TA is willing or able to do it is another story. Good luck.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:20 PM, KSSS2013 said:

You can only upgrade if the better cabin is at least .01 more than what you paid

I usually upgrade if it's under $100 rather than try to fight for a courtesy upgrade.

1 hour ago, kylenyc said:

I usually upgrade if it's under $100 rather than try to fight for a courtesy upgrade.

I think that they are mutually exclusive.  If the cost of the upgraded room is currently more than the existing reservation, than it's a paid upgrade.  If it is less, then a paid upgrade is not allowed and it has to be one of these courtesy upgrades, which may be few and far between.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:43 AM, kylenyc said:

Hypothetically yes you can. My PCC was able to get a "one time" courtesy cabin upgrade on my US-based reservation. After, he said any upgrade has to cost more than the cost of the current reservation. Whether your PCC or TA is willing or able to do it is another story. Good luck.

I contacted my amazing TA and got the upgrade!! YAY!!

• Like 4

I tried to upgrade a family members cabin yesterday from an inside to a balcony. The cost was $50 more but I was told no because the balcony price was for a guarantee (with free at sea). They said we could only upgrade if there was an assigned cabin available for that price.  Has anyone heard of this? 

18 minutes ago, rosie#1 said:

I tried to upgrade a family members cabin yesterday from an inside to a balcony. The cost was $50 more but I was told no because the balcony price was for a guarantee (with free at sea). They said we could only upgrade if there was an assigned cabin available for that price.  Has anyone heard of this? 

I would definitely call again!  Not all reps are well versed (or well trained) and I believe you were givien incorrect information.  In my experience, as long as I was paying more, I have always been able to upgrade my cabin.