Specialty dining confusion

coaster

Thinking about booking a 4 night dining package. Details online say it is good for lunch and dinner in a specialty restaurant.  Just called Celebrity and they told me dinner only. Wording on website says otherwise. Confused at this point...

Most of the speciality restaurants don’t routinely open for lunch - there are exceptions such Sushi on Five on Silhouette. Last time we were onboard there were occasional lunches in Tuscan grill and Murano. However it was a special menu and cost less than the dinner prices so would probably not be cost effective to use a dining package. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

Last time we were onboard there were occasional lunches in Tuscan grill and Murano.

We were expecting this when we were on Eclipse last month, but the Murano lunch has gone according to the Maitre d' and I don't recall seeing anything in Tuscan either...

When we were on the Apex recently having lunch at Le Grand Bistro became one of our favorites. It didn't look that expensive though so it might not be worth using one of your 4 specialty dining choices even if they let you, and save those for a more elaborate dinner. Either way, we thought the lunch was delicious.

1 hour ago, TwoBeAtSea said:

Speaking of lunch, I'm on the Equinox later this year, am I reading this correctly that the main dining room is not open on embarkation day?  

The MDR is only open for lunch if you are in a concierge cabin, a B2Ber, or a Zenith.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoBeAtSea said:

Speaking of lunch, I'm on the Equinox later this year, am I reading this correctly that the main dining room is not open on embarkation day?  

It has not been open for lunch on E Day for years. Only Concierge class and Zenith Captain Club has access for lunch. For Suites, Luminae is also open for lunch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

The MDR is only open for lunch if you are in a concierge cabin, a B2Ber, or a Zenith.

48 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

It has not been open for lunch on E Day for years. Only Concierge class and Zenith Captain Club has access for lunch. For Suites, Luminae is also open for lunch.

I'm not Concierge or higher so MDR is not an option.  How about room service?  Is that available?  I want to avoid the buffet on E-Day. 

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Room service is not available on embarkation day. If the weather is decent you could try the hamburger Grill, poolside.

I swear I'm trying to stay positive, but since I have booked I have learned: 
There is a $9 fee for room service, Room service drinks are extra (even with a drink plan), Anything in the room fridge is extra, the MDR is not open on E-day (going there on other lines was always a great start to the cruise for me), I can't get Room service on E-day, No second lobster (if we even get one).  
I am not getting the warm fuzzies I usually have pre-cruise and if I didn't already have sunk cost in Airfare, I'd be looking to change cruise lines.   

33 minutes ago, TwoBeAtSea said:

I'm not Concierge or higher so MDR is not an option.  How about room service?  Is that available?  I want to avoid the buffet on E-Day. 

Your other options are Mast grill and possibly Sushi or Raw on 5, but they are not always open for lunch on E Day.  You can check in your app to see what is open for lunch on E day. In the past room service was available after 5pm on E Day, not sure about now. The new room service charge is $9.95 + 18% gratuity.

Edited by terrydtx

To be honest, the concierge lunch in the MDR isn't anything to write home about. 

Also, I've cruised on Royal, Princess, Carnival, NCL, and Disney. Royal and Carnival definitely do not have an MDR option for lunch on embarkation day. I believe Princess still does. Not sure about NCL, but there is a sit down venue always available. I also don't recall about DCL. Generally, I tend to board later after lunch in the MDR (if offered) would have already been shut down, so it's not something I've really looked for.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

To be honest, the concierge lunch in the MDR isn't anything to write home about. 

Also, I've cruised on Royal, Princess, Carnival, NCL, and Disney. Royal and Carnival definitely do not have an MDR option for lunch on embarkation day. I believe Princess still does. Not sure about NCL, but there is a sit down venue always available. I also don't recall about DCL. Generally, I tend to board later after lunch in the MDR (if offered) would have already been shut down, so it's not something I've really looked for.

DCL does open one MDR for lunch on embarkation day. I think concierge guests have access to a different MDR for lunch. We have never done it either.