Serenade or Jewel

DanOO

2 hours ago, kruzerci said:

On Serenade again this weekend due to a non refundable fare we had booked a long time ago. This ship is really embarrassing. The condition of the ship, the quality of the foods, and stateroom condition is dreadful. I genuinely hope they make some massive improvements before the world cruise.  It’s really a shame, have had great cruises on Brilliance from Tampa 😒.

This post certainly makes me look forward to our upcoming cruise on her on 4/30.....😟

The only good thing is I can hold it over DH's head, saying "you're the one who wanted to cruise out of Tampa!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kruzerci said:

n Serenade again this weekend due to a non refundable fare we had booked a long time ago. This ship is really embarrassing. The condition of the ship, the quality of the foods, and stateroom condition is dreadful. I genuinely hope they make some massive improvements before the world cruise.  It’s really a shame, have had great cruises on Brilliance from Tampa 😒.

This post certainly makes me look forward to our upcoming cruise on her on 4/30.....😟

The only good thing is I can hold it over DH's head, saying "you're the one who wanted to cruise out of Tampa!"

Be aware that opinions on forums (including mine) are worth exactly what you pay for them.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, island lady said:

I seriously doubt there will be a lot of newbies boarding on the new smaller legs.  The ship was pretty much sold out even when they offered the four legs.  Very limited cabins, mostly inside or "port hole" cabins left.  Nothing JS and up...and still none...I have been checking.  

If you are interested there are two Grand Suites available for the World Cruise for $334,000 for 2. Grab one quick if you want one. 🤣

Been told by a good source there is still plenty of cabins available for the World Cruise when booking all 4 legs. Cabins are set aside just for those booking the complete cruise.

Edited by Jimbo

From someone currently on Jewel:

Reporting in from Jewel. The ship is in great shape. Everything is going great. Internet is not great, but ok. 
So delighted to have Captain Michael at the helm. He is, by far, one of the best.
We have been pleasantly surprised by the new menus. So far our group has ordered a variety of items and there are no complaints.
Looking forward to going to Chops this evening and Chef’s Table a little later in the week.
So glad to be back on one of our favorite ships!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Reporting in from Jewel. The ship is in great shape. Everything is going great. Internet is not great, but ok. 
So delighted to have Captain Michael at the helm. He is, by far, one of the best.
We have been pleasantly surprised by the new menus. So far our group has ordered a variety of items and there are no complaints.
Looking forward to going to Chops this evening and Chef’s Table a little later in the week.

Thanks for the great report,. one of our favorite ships also. Next 2 booked cruises are on her.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

FWIW, we did CT on Jewel in January. It was our worst ever. At least two wine substitutions, and the poached lobster salad was mushy.

Laura is alergic to scallops so I asked if she could have shrimp. They brought her beef carpachio and weren't concerned when she pushed it away.

13 hours ago, mac66 said:

Be aware that opinions on forums (including mine) are worth exactly what you pay for them.

It is what it is. Sailing from Tampa is great. You can still have a good trip, just don’t keep very high expectations. 

I'm a newbie to cruising, having traveled solo for a 7 nighter on Serenade 11/5/2022.  I don't have the experience to make comparisons between ships.  I live in the Tampa Bay area and wanted my first cruise departing locally, on a smaller ship.  

I'll preface my remarks by saying I've worked in the hospitality industry for many years, including as a hotel general manager.  My observations are that, at the time of my cruise, the interiors of Serenade were excellent - attractive - well maintained - my ocean view room was traditional, comfortable and in good condition. 

I've been on a reduced food intake diet 😁 and ate all of my meals in WJ.  I found the choice and quality of food in WJ to be no less than an excellent land-based buffet restaurant.  No not comparable to a beef or seafood all you can eat buffet in Rio de Janeiro ... but more than sufficient for my solo needs and wants.  All of the free beverage stations I frequented worked well.  I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to eat in the WJ adjacent outdoor dining areas.

IMO, I believe the cruise and the price I paid ... and all of the amenities available ... offered me good value.

2 hours ago, Longford said:

I'm a newbie to cruising, having traveled solo for a 7 nighter on Serenade 11/5/2022.  I don't have the experience to make comparisons between ships.  I live in the Tampa Bay area and wanted my first cruise departing locally, on a smaller ship.  

I'll preface my remarks by saying I've worked in the hospitality industry for many years, including as a hotel general manager.  My observations are that, at the time of my cruise, the interiors of Serenade were excellent - attractive - well maintained - my ocean view room was traditional, comfortable and in good condition. 

I've been on a reduced food intake diet 😁 and ate all of my meals in WJ.  I found the choice and quality of food in WJ to be no less than an excellent land-based buffet restaurant.  No not comparable to a beef or seafood all you can eat buffet in Rio de Janeiro ... but more than sufficient for my solo needs and wants.  All of the free beverage stations I frequented worked well.  I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to eat in the WJ adjacent outdoor dining areas.

IMO, I believe the cruise and the price I paid ... and all of the amenities available ... offered me good value.

I'm happy you enjoyed it. But honestly preferred my January visit to our local Golden Corral to what I found in the Jammer.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

We are back on board Jewel on Saturday, just returned from B2B2B on Voyager yesterday.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, we did CT on Jewel in January. It was our worst ever. At least two wine substitutions, and the poached lobster salad was mushy.

Laura is alergic to scallops so I asked if she could have shrimp. They brought her beef carpachio and weren't concerned when she pushed it away.

We did not have very good luck with food and service (except for great cabin attendant) on Jewel B2B last month.  Not our best cruise at all.  

Though we were very happy with Serenade service and food the B2B just prior to it.  

1 minute ago, island lady said:

We did not have very good luck with food and service (except for great cabin attendant) on Jewel B2B last month.  Not our best cruise at all.  

Though we were very happy with Serenade service and food the B2B just prior to it.  

Like I said earlier, food and service can change from week to week. Might also have to do with the passengets to some extent

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Leg 2 is the pricey one. About 10 grand more than leg 1

Ouch...though I think that leg is longer than leg #1 and leg #4 (both of those being at 62 nights.  

I am happy with just the two legs, and trying to rebook Australia again for 2025 (most likely not with RCI who cancelled two of our Aussie cruises within 2 years of each other ).   

I won't cruise through the Suez...so leg #3 of WC was out for us from the start anyway.  

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ouch...though I think that leg is longer than leg #1 and leg #4 (both of those being at 62 nights.  

I am happy with just the two legs, and trying to rebook Australia again for 2025 (most likely not with RCI who cancelled two of our Aussie cruises within 2 years of each other ).   

I won't cruise through the Suez...so leg #3 of WC was out for us from the start anyway.  

Suez transit during the day was one of the highlights of our Mariner Odyssey in 2018.

This time I'll see Luxor and the pyramids as well

Edited by John&LaLa

39 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Like I said earlier, food and service can change from week to week. Might also have to do with the passengets to some extent

Not disagreeing with you...agreeing with you. 

IMHO...crew rotation comes into play here.  Even the waiters and bartenders rotate every other...and sometimes every week. (Which seems to be more often now than a few years ago).  We had a huge difference in food and service in the MDR on 3rd leg versus prior 1st and 2nd leg of just disembarked Voyager yesterday.  

What we are hoping, is to have a better experience on Jewel on reboarding Saturday, unlike disappointing experience we had on her last month.   Serenade the month before rated above her twin sister in both service and food....and of course...all a matter of personal experience indeed. 

42 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Suez transit during the day was one of the highlights of our Mariner Odyssey in 2018.

This time I'll see Luxor and the pyramids as well

That's good.  It's a matter of principal for me.  My own personal boycott of the way those countries treat women.  😉  Yeah, it's just my choice.  

Will you get to use your balcony on the canal transit?  Keep your curtains open?  

22 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Thanks Momma🥰. Looking forward to it.

Going on March 17.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

That's good.  It's a matter of principal for me.  My own personal boycott of the way those countries treat women.  😉  Yeah, it's just my choice.  

Will you get to use your balcony on the canal transit?  Keep your curtains open?  

Yes, once you enter Red Sea, you're fine.