Journey Cabin 6034 Ocean Restricted View

difranco

On 2/15/2023 at 11:36 AM, Mrs Miggins said:

I have been in one of these cabins once - and would certainly not do it again unless I was solo.

I will not take those cabins not even as solo cruiser. I would rather take an inside cabin which cost less, and are larger.

Ivi

• Like 2

After much debate and informative feedback on this board, we have moved to a 05 category for a small fee but with OBC which nearly covers the fee. As some have said these cabins are not fit for purpose for a relaxing holiday, however, they would be ideal for solo travellers and should be priced with no surcharge. That would be a win win. Marriage saved.

• Like 4

I booked direct so had to go back direct. Initially booked a GTY and was quoted “may get an obstructed view but cabin size and furniture would be the same as all ocean view cabins”. Not an issue as the view wasn’t a priority on this cruise. After receiving our cabin number after 2 days which stated 99% obscured and much research I complained I was never informed I could receive a cabin with no sofa and table. I stated this was misrepresentation and I wanted a full refund. Also there are no photos of these appalling cabins on the Azamara website. They do state configuration may vary but no mention of omission of furniture. After being told there were no other cabins they miraculously found 5 on deck 4 mid ships. I had to pay an additional fee but was offered $300 OBC which wasn’t originally part of the GTY deal. An annoying hassle but fortunately we were going to purchase the ultimate drinks package which will be covered by the OBC. 

Our first time in 6 booked cruises with Azamara that we went direct. Not a great experience as the agents seemed disinterested in providing information and all sounded like they were in their living rooms.

Sign of the times no doubt.

Edited by difranco
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, difranco said:

After much debate and informative feedback on this board, we have moved to a 05 category for a small fee but with OBC which nearly covers the fee. As some have said these cabins are not fit for purpose for a relaxing holiday, however, they would be ideal for solo travellers and should be priced with no surcharge. That would be a win win. Marriage saved.

Interesting but how do you come to the conclusion that those cabins would be ideal for solo travelers? 🧐
I am a solo traveler and believe me those cabins are not ideal. Not only they are the smallest cabins on the ship but due to the obstruction the only thing you see are the tender boats. In addition there is permanently crew working on the tender boats, which means that in order to have privacy, you have to close the curtains. With that, your “ocean view” cabin turns an inside cabin but you paid higher prices.

Ivi

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, difranco said:

Ideal for solo travellers if there is no single supplement. That was my point. It may make sailing with Azamara affordable for passengers who find a 50-100% premium too much to stomach.

I understand your point. All cabins with exception of this ones would be ideal for solo travelers if there is no solo supplement. However this is unrealistic. 
Those restricted view cabins might be interesting for some solo cruisers if they do not come with a supplement. Ideal they are not.  But they could also be interesting for couples if the prices of those cabins are the lowest on any cruise.

Ivi

16 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Oceania has designated those cabins as Solo Cabins on their R-ships.  Based on what I read on the Oceania boards I believe there is no solo supplement for said cabins. 

Unfortunately there seems to be a tendency to allocate the least desirable cabins for solo cruisers. The company that bought the Crystal name, is also allocating some cabins to solo travelers, which are in a less desirable location. I am not a fun of that policy and I hope that Azamara continues with its solo supplement discount of 25%-50% and we have the chance to pick up our own cabins. I would hate to see that deciding to allocate the ocean views restricted cabins only for solos with a lower supplement would mean that not other cabins are available for solos unless we pay double occupancy rates.

Ivi

• Like 4

On 2/17/2023 at 12:19 AM, difranco said:

After being told there were no other cabins they miraculously found 5 on deck 4 mid ships. I had to pay an additional fee but was offered $300 OBC which wasn’t originally part of the GTY deal. 

Our first time in 6 booked cruises with Azamara that we went direct. Not a great experience as the agents seemed disinterested in providing information and all sounded like they were in their living rooms.

Was the fee the price difference between guarantee and fix-booking? Its even worse with TA. I have still no offer for upgrading. Price difference was 250€ (originally price in Pound) when i first complained, now its 550€ for the 2 btb cruises. But prices go up for guarantee too, so i think i will get an offer for the difference of my price and the new price of fix booking which is insane 1000€. So i think i will have no choice but to stay in both cabins.

No clear statement on website that guarantees can be obstructed, no clear statement, that it can be smaller. Assigning ONLY Obstructed. And no help when you want to upgrade  So they will have 2 unhappy passengers. No good marketing. Strong carrer from "best cruise line i've ever been" to "i will not book anymore" 😒.

Edited by jkhneuber

On all cruise lines that I know if, any Guarantee booking only guarantees you a cabin of the cruise line's choosing in the covered category 'or higher category' [and the cruise line's definition of what a 'higher category' means].  It's on you to do the research whether there is any cabin on the ship that would be unacceptable to you – and you should assume that that is the cabin that will be assigned to your Guarantee booking.  As I have read so many times on Cruise Critic: "There is no free lunch."

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

"There is no free lunch."

I don't want a free lunch. But normally the benefit of guarantee on a cruise that's not full is the assigning of a better category in this case.

Quarantee was not cheaper because you loose OBC. When you loose the chance on a better category in this case because the assingin a cabin without view even before booking though no warning that it can be obstructed then its a scam only to get rid off the obstructed. 

But the point is that there is no fast help for an immediate payed upgrade. Is it because they had known that the price will rise?

8 hours ago, jkhneuber said:

I don't want a free lunch. But normally the benefit of guarantee on a cruise that's not full is the assigning of a better category in this case.

Quarantee was not cheaper because you loose OBC. When you loose the chance on a better category in this case because the assingin a cabin without view even before booking though no warning that it can be obstructed then its a scam only to get rid off the obstructed. 

But the point is that there is no fast help for an immediate payed upgrade. Is it because they had known that the price will rise?

Payed upgrades are not always offered. Maybe your cruise is not eligible.

Ivi

8 hours ago, jkhneuber said:

Guarantee cabins are not eligible to take part in the Upgrade scheme.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Guarantee cabins are not eligible to take part in the Upgrade scheme.

An other thing not displayed when booking quarantees

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Payed upgrades are not always offered. Maybe your cruise is not eligible.

Ivi

I got an offer after more than a week when i called Frankfurt office when my TA didn't act after more calls. in this week prices rises twice and offer was insane. I first responded to the booking confirmation after 1min! when prices were still low.

I am not sure I am following you - there is no price on the upgrade system as such what you would have been sent is a link to a website.  It shows the minimum bid you can enter, however its up to you how much above the minimum you bid.  There is no guarantee your bid will be accepted and you will not hear until immediately before sailing sometimes as late as 24 hours to boarding.  Your bid might not be accepted because either there are no available cabins or all the cabins that were available for upgrade were allocated to people who bid more than you.  The price the cruises are selling for when you bid is irrelevant.  However if you have been bought a guarantee cabin, even if you got a link to put a bid in, your bid will be ignored because guarantees cannot bid for upgrades,

9 hours ago, uktog said:

I am not sure I am following you 

I'm not talking about the upgrade bidding programme. Normally you can go to your cruiselines and change the cabin to a better cabin paying the difference of the price you payed to the actual price of the new category. But only if its more expensive. In some cases you can change even when price is lower. But then you get no money back but paying a fee for the change. Its the same on azamara. 

Sure, after final payment it's always goodwill of the cruise line. 

2 minutes ago, jkhneuber said:

I'm not talking about the upgrade bidding programme. Normally you can go to your cruiselines and change the cabin to a better cabin paying the difference of the price you payed to the actual price of the new category. But only if its more expensive. In some cases you can change even when price is lower. But then you get no money back but paying a fee for the change. Its the same on azamara. 

Sure, after final payment it's always goodwill of the cruise line. 

As far as I’m aware all cruise lines will offer this. Obviously they will expect you to pay the going market rate for the cabin you choose.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

As far as I’m aware all cruise lines will offer this. Obviously they will expect you to pay the going market rate for the cabin you choose.

That's what I said. Problem is only when they wait with a response until the price has risen two times.