Cancelling one person in a cabin last minute; what is the best route to take?

Nebr.cruiser

My sisters are going on two cruises, one leaving Feb. 24th and the other March 11.  Because of a health problem, one sister has to cancel, leaving the other alone in the room.  What is the best way to handle this?  Call the cruise lines, just have her be a no-show, other ideas?  

Of course the sister who is still going would love not to get stuck with the whole cost of the room.  The sister who is ill may be able to recover some of her cost through insurance, but of course there are no guarantees on that.  

We will be on the trip too, which is 5 weeks in total.  Thanks for any advice; such a disappointment after months of planning this bucket list trip to Australia and New Zealand.

Are these statements correct?

Past final payment?

In penalty phase?

Do both sisters have insurance?

Any chance there is a doctor that will verify medical issues?

Basic insurance or upgraded to Platinum?

If yes, then remaining sister should be able to sail solo  (no solo supplement) and other sister should be able to receive fare minus insurance).  

This is a generic “what if”.  Best to contact Princess (your TA is not an insurance adjuster).  

• Like 1

Yes.  Cruise is 7 days away.  Sister with medical problem does not have cruise insurance specifically, but her Chase Sapphire Preferred does have coverage that we believe would fit her situation.  I am sure her doctor can verify this, as she knew about it a few months ago; but the problem did not develop before the cruise was booked.  Doctor thought condition would clear up and it hasn't.  Sister needed to be more proactive about this, of course, but she's been dealing with a lot lately.

I too believe the sister who is going will be fine on the cruise, that is, won't cost her more.  Hotel rooms they are sharing will of course not be split as to expense.  Almost all other expenses are either able to be cancelled such as a land tour and excursions, and she bought flights that can be changed or cancelled, and paid more to do that.

We're just hoping she can recover most of the cost of this trip.  I am not clear if she needs to call and concell now or just be a no-show.  She'll want to do what is right but causes the least hassle.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

53 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Yes.  Cruise is 7 days away.  Sister with medical problem does not have cruise insurance specifically, but her Chase Sapphire Preferred does have coverage that we believe would fit her situation.  I am sure her doctor can verify this, as she knew about it a few months ago; but the problem did not develop before the cruise was booked.  Doctor thought condition would clear up and it hasn't.  Sister needed to be more proactive about this, of course, but she's been dealing with a lot lately.

This, indeed, is complicated.  Sister may receive something from Chase Sapphire Preferred, but doubt it would cover solo supplement.  

If sister is a no show, that may negate Credit Card Insurance.  

I was in a similar situation way back when.  I tried all kinds of options.  But my cabin mate wanted to cancel and I had to pay the supplement.  I asked her to be a no show since she would lose everything anyway.  No deal.  My TA tried to salvage my cruise by rebooking me in the cheapest cabin x 2.  I even tried to do a name change so that there would be two in the cabin.  Is there anyone who wants a "free" cruise?

I'd go, but this doesn't fit my schedule.  Only $50 for a name change.  

Yes very complicated.  Both sisters have insurance through their Chase cards.  We have tried to think of someone else to go, but unlikely because we are cruising Australia, land tours in Australia, cruising New Zealand, land tour to Uluru.  5 weeks total.  And who can do a trip like that, even if one of the cruises, at last moment.

I'd think since the cruise is so close and the cabin has been paid for, double occupancy, that Sis going on cruise could just go and not be penalized.  The one that can't go is willing to eat the cost, if necessary, but is hoping for some help from insurance.  Other expenses aren't too much of a problem as almost everything can still be cancelled or changed.

We'd really like to know if it is best to actually cancel her cruises or just be a no show.  That is, get to boarding and tell them that the other person in the cabin did not show up, or something.

We will call the travel agent, of course.  And insurance--not sure if that should be before or after the cruise (es)  She has 20 days from cancellation to start on the insurance merry-go-round.  Sad news for our bucket list family vacation.

15 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Yes very complicated.  Both sisters have insurance through their Chase cards.  We have tried to think of someone else to go, but unlikely because we are cruising Australia, land tours in Australia, cruising New Zealand, land tour to Uluru.  5 weeks total.  And who can do a trip like that, even if one of the cruises, at last moment.

I'd think since the cruise is so close and the cabin has been paid for, double occupancy, that Sis going on cruise could just go and not be penalized.  The one that can't go is willing to eat the cost, if necessary, but is hoping for some help from insurance.  Other expenses aren't too much of a problem as almost everything can still be cancelled or changed.

We'd really like to know if it is best to actually cancel her cruises or just be a no show.  That is, get to boarding and tell them that the other person in the cabin did not show up, or something.

We will call the travel agent, of course.  And insurance--not sure if that should be before or after the cruise (es)  She has 20 days from cancellation to start on the insurance merry-go-round.  Sad news for our bucket list family vacation.

I would not have the one sister who can't go cancel, if she does Princess may try to charge the other sister a solo supplement for the cruise, in addition to not refunding the fare for the sister who is cancelling.  The sister who can't go should no show and then file with the chase sapphire travel insurance.

• Like 3

The sister that is ill  should cancel with Princess and explain she is ill.  The fare is already paid in full so no single supplement will apply. Who ever is the insurer should be contacted and a medical not e provided to the insurer explaining she is not fit to go on a cruise and needs to be near her medical carer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brisalta said:

The sister that is ill  should cancel with Princess and explain she is ill.  The fare is already paid in full so no single supplement will apply. Who ever is the insurer should be contacted and a medical not e provided to the insurer explaining she is not fit to go on a cruise and needs to be near her medical carer.

There's the catch-22.  Fare is paid in full.  Princess wants to make sure they get 2 paid occupants in that cabin.

If ill sister gets back her fare, then other sister will be hit with a single supplement....unless credit card insurance kicks in (pays ill sister back AND pays for solo supplement).  Not arguing should/should not have insurance.  

Would Princess issue a FCC for this cancellation or is that only for Covid cases?  Or is that a thing of the past?

Please do let us know how this all plays out.  Others may need this information going forward.  Thank you so much.  Wishing you all the best.

I can only speak for a recent experience.  Sisters both cancelled due to family emergency.  Both had Princess Platinum Insurance.  They received full fare (minus insurance) back and insurance paid for my solo supplement.  Not sure if my insurance policy covered the solo or my sisters'.  Doesn't matter.  I did the cruise by myself with no additional costs.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:20 PM, brisalta said:

You would think it would be easy but it is not. That is why I suggested a travel advisor who has a lot of experience with this. If insurance wasn't an issue - I would suggest being a no show.

Thanks everyone.  It's still an ongoing problem of course, with no clear path forward.  The travel agent is not being too clear either, or helpful.  Other aspects of this long trip are being cancelled/refunded fairly rapidly.  It's the cruises that are the problem.

Note that she is also booked on a RCI cruise to New Zealand that leaves in March, with the rest of us,. So it's two cruise lines we are dealing with.  

More advise always welcome!