MDR Reservations?

Cruisegirl6

I tried to add dad to our MDR reservations today and also spoke to celebrity online but they are unable to do so because I am booked in aqua class and dad infinate verandah.  They only have 9-9:30pm available and dad being 84 needs to eat and take medications plus he is in bed by 10:30 so can't even get 8pm as there is no availability in either four restaurants.

Question, do they hold some tables open for those who did not reserve dining reservations on line and can book when board the ship?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I tried to add dad to our MDR reservations today and also spoke to celebrity online but they are unable to do so because I am booked in aqua class and dad infinate verandah.  They only have 9-9:30pm available and dad being 84 needs to eat and take medications plus he is in bed by 10:30 so can't even get 8pm as there is no availability in either four restaurants.

Question, do they hold some tables open for those who did not reserve dining reservations on line and can book when board the ship?

Do you mean Blu? How many in your party are currently reserved for your table? My understanding there is no guest rule for Blu. 

Just now, mom says said:

Your father can't dine in Blu because it is restricted to aqua class ( or suite guests on a space available basis). He can just walk up to any MDR and request a table. There may be a wait, depending on the demand at that time.

Yes, aware he is unable to dine at blu and did a move up over a week ago and still pending with 19 cabins remain open on my beyond sailing for march 19th.  Two months ago I made reservations for the MDR mostly 7:30-8:30 dining time as I did not know about Blu when I booked.  Now when I try to add him to our table I was told the reason I am unable to do so is because we are booked in two different classes plus they are full and only have 9-9:30 seating for the three of us and that is not going to work at all for us. So, I was wondering since I cannot add a third person to my MDR reservations wondering if they keep a certain number of tables open and not booked for those who board the ship and make them at that time.  If this is the case, then I can ask if they can change my table for two to a table for 3 people when I board.

7 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Yes, aware he is unable to dine at blu and did a move up over a week ago and still pending with 19 cabins remain open on my beyond sailing for march 19th.  Two months ago I made reservations for the MDR mostly 7:30-8:30 dining time as I did not know about Blu when I booked.  Now when I try to add him to our table I was told the reason I am unable to do so is because we are booked in two different classes plus they are full and only have 9-9:30 seating for the three of us and that is not going to work at all for us. So, I was wondering since I cannot add a third person to my MDR reservations wondering if they keep a certain number of tables open and not booked for those who board the ship and make them at that time.  If this is the case, then I can ask if they can change my table for two to a table for 3 people when I board.

Easy. When you board the ship go and speak with the MD for the MDR. 

Since you are now assigned to Blu, your previous MDR reservations should have been cancelled. I don't think you can now make MDR reservations in advance. When you board, go directly to Blu, speak to the Maitre d' there, and explain what you want to do. He will have to try to arrange your dining reservations.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

Yes, they do not pre book to capacity in the MDRs.  They keep something in the range of 40-50% available for walk ups.

When you board do as @davekathysuggested and talk with the MD at the MDR to arrange for a table for 3.  Then if you plan to dine every evening in the MDR with you Dad stop by Blu and tell them you will be dining in the MDR.

• Like 1

You have a complicated situation because blu is all open seating, no reservations, and he won’t be able to join you there.

Since you are in Aqua cabin, you actually do not have Reservations in the MDR, even though it looks like you do. There is a flaw in the booking system which applies to passengers and suites and passengers in Aqua which makes it look like they are booking specific reservation times, but in fact they are not. So even though it looks like you have booked the MDR, you really haven’t.

I have no idea why Celebrity can’t fix this. It is a well known issue and has been going on for years.

If you plan to forgo your table in blue and go to the main dining room instead, please coordinate that with the maître d’ of blu.

As to having your father eat earlier, see a maître d’ on your arrival on the ship and they should be able to work that out for him with no issues.

Edited by cruisestitch

9 minutes ago, mom says said:

Since you are now assigned to Blu, your previous MDR reservations should have been cancelled. I don't think you can now make MDR reservations in advance. When you board, go directly to Blu, speak to the Maitre d' there, and explain what you want to do. He will have to try to arrange your dining reservations.

My MDR reservations have not been cancelled.  I will go to when I board, is it possible they be open as soon as I board?

1 minute ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

My MDR reservations have not been cancelled.  I will go to when I board, is it possible they be open as soon as I board?

I think you will find that the MDR reservations have been canceled if you are in an aqua state room. I know it doesn’t look that way, but that’s what happens. Blu does not have reservations. It’s all open seating. And that is your assigned dining room if you have an Aqua stateroom.

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

You have a complicated situation because blu is all open seating, no reservations, and he won’t be able to join you there.

Since you are in Aqua cabin, you actually do not have Reservations in the MDR, even though it looks like you do. There is a flaw in the booking system which applies to passengers and suites and passengers in Aqua which makes it look like they are booking specific reservation times, but in fact they are not. So even though it looks like you have booked the MDR, you really haven’t.

I have no idea why Celebrity can’t fix this. It is a well known issue and has been going on for years.

If you plan to forgo your table in blue and go to the main dining room instead, please coordinate that with the maître d’ of blu.

As to having your father eat earlier, see a maître d’ on your arrival on the ship and they should be able to work that out for him with no issues.

Yes, very complicated indeed, now I wish we didn't ask dad to come along for this trip at least, but he is booked and its too late to cancel.  Celebrity today did admit that I do have reservations for two but unable to get a table for three in the MDR.  I agree, this flaw really needs to be fixed it makes things confusing.  Would you happen to know where I find the Maitre d' on the Beyond when I board?

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

I think you will find that the MDR reservations have been canceled if you are in an aqua state room. I know it doesn’t look that way, but that’s what happens. Blu does not have reservations. It’s all open seating. And that is your assigned dining room if you have an Aqua stateroom.

I wonder if I can downgrade my cabin, but even if I do that, there are no availability in any of the MDR until 9-9:30, I am in a stuck situation.

I was on the Reflection last week and Select Dining times were a mess.  Many passengers without reservations complained about being seated after 9:00 p.m. They were given pagers so they could enjoy other onboard venues while waiting. 

We had standing 6:30 reservations for Select.  The last night in the MDR, we requested our reservation be changed to 5:30 which posed no problem for us.  Based on that, may I suggest you try to change your reservations to 5:30?  Dinner in the MDR typically took at least 90 minutes, so it shouldn't be too early for you. 

5 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I wonder if I can downgrade my cabin, but even if I do that, there are no availability in any of the MDR until 9-9:30, I am in a stuck situation.

You are on the Beyond, correct? When you say MDR you must have Select/Anytime dining? As I and others have mentioned, go directly to the MDR when you first board the ship and speak with the MD. 

I agree that it is very confusing and frustrating. If you show up at the main dining room with your aqua colored room key, they politely tell you to go to blue, your assigned dining room.

And the advice to make the earliest possible reservation for the three of you once you are on board is spot on. As the night goes on, The Dining Rooms fill up. Arrange for the first possible time and you’ll be able to walk right in.

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You are on the Beyond, correct? When you say MDR you must have Select/Anytime dining? As I and others have mentioned, go directly to the MDR when you first board the ship and speak with the MD. 

Yes, we are on the Beyond and both have anytime dining, truly appreciate the help!

8 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I agree that it is very confusing and frustrating. If you show up at the main dining room with your aqua colored room key, they politely tell you to go to blue, your assigned dining room.

And the advice to make the earliest possible reservation for the three of you once you are on board is spot on. As the night goes on, The Dining Rooms fill up. Arrange for the first possible time and you’ll be able to walk right in.

I asked for 6 or 6:30 they said no table, I guess when I board I speak and ask then worst case, we do specialty dining each evening, but dad still has a move up offer pending so maybe we have some luck but the cruise is just four weeks out, 19 aqua cabins available soon so crossing fingers.  Thank you.

23 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I asked for 6 or 6:30 they said no table, I guess when I board I speak and ask then worst case, we do specialty dining each evening, but dad still has a move up offer pending so maybe we have some luck but the cruise is just four weeks out, 19 aqua cabins available soon so crossing fingers.  Thank you.

FWIW, we were on the Beyond last week with a group of 17 people, many with unconnected reservations.  The main "planner" from our party went to what I assume is a concierge desk in guest services but may simply be a desk in guest services dedicated to MDR reservations, and was able to secure 5:45 pm reservations for the group every night in the MDR's of her selection (rotated through all 4 MDR's and then returned to several for a second night).  As you walk into guest services from the Martini Bar area, the desk was located to the right of the entrance to the elevator lobby.

Based on our experience, I think you will easily be able to arrange a table for three each night in the MDR's at a time you prefer.

46 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I’m confused.  On an earlier post today you said you were bidding on a Sky Suite.  If you get your bid accepted and your Dad gets his Move Up to Aqua accepted you will again both be in different dining rooms. 

All of this posters posts are confusing! I can’t keep up any more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

I’m confused.  On an earlier post today you said you were bidding on a Sky Suite.  If you get your bid accepted and your Dad gets his Move Up to Aqua accepted you will again both be in different dining rooms. 

I think they were considering bidding on a Suite but asked their questions here prior to doing so. I assume, after reading the answers, that they decided against it as it would have been a waste of money for them.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

We thought if we moved up to sky suite that we can pay a fee for dad to be with us but the fee does not include the retreat just luminae so that didn't work lol.

40 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

All of this posters posts are confusing! I can’t keep up any more!

I can't keep up with myself either hahaha, our dog is dying, will have to put him down any day now, I have plates and screws (literally) in my neck which shifted and been doing neck rehab for 10 weeks now to shift them back in place, now have the cruise problem issues, and my sister just diagnosed with cancer so please excuse me if I am out of wack here, just very confused on things, so sorry!!!

25 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I think they were considering bidding on a Suite but asked their questions here prior to doing so. I assume, after reading the answers, that they decided against it as it would have been a waste of money for them.

Yes.  🙂