Live Review - Harmony of the Seas 2/18-2/26 Southern Caribbean

DaKahuna

46 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yeah. Definitely different folks.  I guess one of the names was similar.   Our group was mostly Indian or Filipino.  I assume, even though they rotate, the folks moving to SL every couple weeks are still the ones with the best performance reviews.  Glad to hear you have been enjoying their service.  I also found the SL bar a nice place to have my night cap drink.  

I have finished my evening there every night so far. 

The bar has not been crowded at all after dinner.  Many times it has been just me and one or two others. 

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I have been to the one in Louisville!  Amazing selections. I was like a kid in a candy store.  One of the few time I hid a bR bill from my DW!!!! 

That's funny!!!! It really is a great steakhouse with amazing bourbon cocktails, and costs less than the big chains that still have great steak like Ruth's Chris or Morton's. (I say it like that because I'm not a fan of chain restaurants in general. But those two are delicious despite being chain restaurants.)

If you make it back out here, Steak & Bourbon is another wonderful place to visit in Louisville. 

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, njsmom said:

njsmom asked if Grease was still the Broadway show on Harmony.  

(DaKahuna replied:  Yes, Grease is still the Broadway show.  We have a reservation forthe 10 pm showing tomorrow night.)

Note that Grease onboard follows the Broadway PLAY, not the MOVIE.  I read another thread where people were complaining about the "changes" in the production on Harmony.  Evidently there is a major song that is sung by one character in the play, and a different character in the movie.  So be aware that it may be somewhat different in spots from what you loved in the movie.
I can't remember seeing either version, so I'm ready to see it without expectations on our final sea day at 3:00 in the afternoon.
Edited by Grandma Petania
Clarification
  • Like 2

Good evening.  Sorry for not posting earlier but it has been a strange day. 

We had the leisurely breakfast I described this morning followed by hanging out in our room and the suite lounge until noon where we had a quick lunch due to 1245 meeting time for our shore excursion.  My DW decided she’d rather not do a four hour excursion so stayed aboard while I soldiered on.

First stop was 160CED35-88AD-4857-9861-8A7969C292D4.thumb.jpeg.fbf2e498dc276f61e76176cc866f4a6e.jpegthe ‘Natural Bridge’ which unfortunately collapsed in 2005. 

There is a “son of a bridge” which is still there and a smaller version of the Natural Bridge.

9D014F95-0149-41D1-99E3-BC75490FDAE4.thumb.jpeg.2acc8272cc897958ff4d063a39bdd828.jpegD4719EA9-44A2-4D57-90DA-C9E72AF8467F.thumb.jpeg.012f1c4ae1c012e4920f5d48649afbf1.jpeg

• Like 6

Our next stop was the Gold Mine Ruins and this is where I made a dumb ass mistake.  

97413E4D-97B2-4347-8730-B0990F67CBD2.thumb.jpeg.8a16eca9b33d01ffa9dc314c8b00f22a.jpegD98E5BCD-AB46-4EAA-AEB0-10071ABF0BBD.thumb.jpeg.b5caeab6101f053836acbc619816f7c8.jpeg

Forgetting my age and that I am not the sory 40 year old I was 30 years ago, I attempted to climb up the inside of the mine ruins, only to slip and fall.  This resulted in a very nasty rash burn below my left knee and a nasty cut on my left forearm.  I went back to the bis, washed it off with cold water, cleaned with so alcohol wipes and clean wipes the driver had and filled out the three page report.  My pride was hurt more than anything else so told the driver I did not require additional medical attention or to be taken to a hospital.  I will not gross you out with the picture.  More on this a little later.

• Like 2

After the mine ruins we proceeded to the California Lighthouse.  I am sure most of you are familiar with the sinking of the sailing vessel California after which the lighthouse is named.  It is a nice Historic sire and also provides a nice long distance view of the beaches and hotel district.

2BA0EF6C-CEA2-4644-9CD0-8CE2A7DC9415.thumb.jpeg.298ad8dcc07eaf6d8115af0a6719bf24.jpeg2D0B8347-CD30-47FF-AC2D-224CE1E30B3E.thumb.jpeg.f370f497d8ba34ef8ba811053abc162c.jpeg73CC5983-464A-41E5-92CA-3726C104068C.thumb.jpeg.30b46bff6d75774ee39ece6784287ea6.jpegC1F6C292-2255-434E-A03F-4F456EE9ABF0.thumb.jpeg.1746e8ae43143fda6d81b0a390c619b8.jpeg

• Like 3

According to our driver, Eagle Beach was rated in 2022 as the number two beach in the Caribbean and the number five beach in the world.

35C32B37-C86F-4BE0-B8E0-EFB82278FCD4.thumb.jpeg.cc8177c881fa70be3e64fa73b0062434.jpeg

He told us this after asking if anyone know were all the beautiful white sand that the Caribbean, and especially Aruba is famous for having.

For tjose not in the know, the oceans and seas are populated by various species of Parrot fish.  These fish consume dead coral, sea shells, and other materials and produce as excrement very fine white sand.  So think about that the next time you are at the beach and have the urge to bury yourself in the sand.  As our tour guide said, thank goodness there is no associated aroma! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Upon arrival back on the ship, I went to my cabin and washed off my injured areas and, as by directed by the driver/tour guide, went down to Medical on deck two, my DW also insisted. 

I was attended to by medical and sfter filling out a report and consenting to pictures being taken my the Public Safety officer, the nurse applied antiseptic ointment to my arm and knee, placed a bandage over the area where the cut was on my arm, and since I had no idea when my last tetanus shot was, gave me a tetanus shot for good measure. Oh, also there was paperwork describing when, where, and what happened.

I am sure I will be sore in the morning but for now, I am more embarrassed than physically hurt.

Time to finish my double Belvedere and Sprite Zero and call it a night.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:
njsmom asked if Grease was still the Broadway show on Harmony.  

(DaKahuna replied:  Yes, Grease is still the Broadway show.  We have a reservation forthe 10 pm showing tomorrow night.)

Note that Grease onboard follows the Broadway PLAY, not the MOVIE.  I read another thread where people were complaining about the "changes" in the production on Harmony.  Evidently there is a major song that is sung by one character in the play, and a different character in the movie.  So be aware that it may be somewhat different in spots from what you loved in the movie.
I can't remember seeing either version, so I'm ready to see it without expectations on our final sea day at 3:00 in the afternoon.

And remember the PLAY is the original.  Changes were made in the movie because ONJ and John Travolta were not playing the lead characters.  They beefed up Sandy & Danny to make them the leads.  The play was mediocre, the movie was God awful.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, poocher said:

And remember the PLAY is the original.  Changes were made in the movie because ONJ and John Travolta were not playing the lead characters.  They beefed up Sandy & Danny to make them the leads.  The play was mediocre, the movie was God awful.

We saw the movie many, many years ago when it first came out. I do not recall ever seeing the play. 

Will try and approach it with an open mind.

Some random pictures from today.

The area where the Natural Bridge site is located is part of a preserve / national park that encompasses 20% of yhe island of aruma.  Construction is not permitted, except for a few existing buildings.  Unlike the rest of the island, it is not very green and is considered a desert by the locals.

77D46853-B3B1-47E1-B5F4-A22D64653FD9.thumb.jpeg.e092b92ff584fbd68a9ec38d28010436.jpeg64A60CBD-788F-45DE-B414-79A88E6D3BC2.thumb.jpeg.f93a8c63ac927788292dead78c541714.jpeg82FC6F4C-1B9C-45DE-B9F7-E1BDE88C8631.thumb.jpeg.4fda97ce44be4e324583955da5090c4d.jpegC46D6D2D-A140-436B-8EB3-A7980BB65AE5.thumb.jpeg.595b17d0c2a4e9880f3919073eba3afb.jpegD29DD355-34AB-4B7E-A50F-AE37054C6F38.thumb.jpeg.8cd67f572a42387e1ce26355fd34d1ea.jpeg

This particular rock formation really does look like the face of an Iguana 

A348CB00-6974-48C8-BD4A-DE1AB0075454.thumb.jpeg.6992dad3a60a9d73efa0a46cb1eb9b7c.jpeg

Our driver/tour guid informed us that due to strong currents and dangerous under tow, swimming, diving, snorkeling, etc was forbidden on this section of the island.  Based on what we saw that makes sense.

64A60CBD-788F-45DE-B414-79A88E6D3BC2.thumb.jpeg.f93a8c63ac927788292dead78c541714.jpeg06162ECD-73F1-48EA-9413-D84554ED36F2.thumb.jpeg.12d90a2fcb805857f440597ae405b0b2.jpeg

• Like 6

Tonight’s main entree was the lamb shank.

Before

76AB0AFB-E26B-43B7-9D0F-EE5D184E474C.thumb.jpeg.ad6285475277f8a66e9bd0c5a5a8cf27.jpeg

After

4EC5DDD0-7CF9-4DBF-B5A3-DE1A4D7C4467.thumb.jpeg.affc5249e9011bf98854645fa63d6429.jpeg

‘Nuff said! 

BTW, I have not been posting a lot of food pictures because (1) We sometimes forget to take pictures before eating. (2) the lighting in Coastal Kitchen is really poor for taking good pictures due to the blue ‘mood’ lighting IMHO! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, poocher said:

The play was mediocre, the movie was God awful.

In your opinion. 

IMO I loved the movie and enjoyed seeing the play on a cruise 

@DaKahunathanks for tge review, especially the review of the Aruba excursion. Was eyeing it up for our southern Caribbean cruise later in the year.

Hope your arm and knee doesn't hurt too much 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

FYI. One thing I never thought about before, but I had a spot burned off last year and the doctor said no public pools until it healed (staff infections etc are possible).  This was right before we had a pool party to go to.   Luckily she told me that.  

So stay out of any of the pools with a deep wound.   Probably obvious to most, but easy not to think about the possible problems.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topnole said:

FYI. One thing I never thought about before, but I had a spot burned off last year and the doctor said no public pools until it healed (staff infections etc are possible).  This was right before we had a pool party to go to.   Luckily she told me that.  

So stay out of any of the pools with a deep wound.   Probably obvious to most, but easy not to think about the possible problems.   

Brought a bathing suit but it has not been out of the drawer since we unpacked.  No chance I will go into a pool or hot tub, but thanks for the reminder.

Good afternoon everyone,  Today has been an interesting day.  We decided last night to sleep in and have breakfast delivered.  Bacon, eggs, fruit, and english muffin for me, pancakes, bacon, and fruit for my DW. 

While relaxing in the room I received a call from guest services following up on yesterday’s accident.  Assured them I was fine and did nit need additional attention.

About 15 minutes later we received a call from the Izumi Manager regarding today’s lunch reservation.  Our 1200 o’clock reservation was being changed to 1230 and that the captain would be joining us.  Turned out that two of the Captain’s Canadian neighbors were on the ship and had a lunch reservation so he was joining them.

It was a good lunch and the food was delicious.  The Captain talked with all of us and was a very delightful lunch companion.  He answered quite a few question and talked with us about his upcoming time off.  Seems he will be leaving the ship as well when we dock Sunday. 

Time for a short afternoon nap! 

• Like 4

Which excursion did you take in Aruba?  We are on a similar itinerary in December on the Odyssey going to Curacao, Aruba and Labadee.

We honeymooned in Aruba almost 21 years ago and loved it - this was a year after getting engaged on Adventure of the Seas the night before our Aruba stop!  

We were thinking of the Half Day off Road Adventure.  In Curacao we will probably explore on our own and possiblly get a day pass at the Marriott and have a beach day.

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Upon arrival back on the ship, I went to my cabin and washed off my injured areas and, as by directed by the driver/tour guide, went down to Medical on deck two, my DW also insisted. 

I was attended to by medical and sfter filling out a report and consenting to pictures being taken my the Public Safety officer, the nurse applied antiseptic ointment to my arm and knee, placed a bandage over the area where the cut was on my arm, and since I had no idea when my last tetanus shot was, gave me a tetanus shot for good measure. Oh, also there was paperwork describing when, where, and what happened.

I am sure I will be sore in the morning but for now, I am more embarrassed than physically hurt.

Time to finish my double Belvedere and Sprite Zero and call it a night.

Sorry to hear about your boo boo. Thankfully you were not hurt any worse. Pictures look fantastic. I’ve heard great things about Eagle Beach. It’s on my list now to visit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abpplh said:

Which excursion did you take in Aruba?  We are on a similar itinerary in December on the Odyssey going to Curacao, Aruba and Labadee.

We honeymooned in Aruba almost 21 years ago and loved it - this was a year after getting engaged on Adventure of the Seas the night before our Aruba stop!  

We were thinking of the Half Day off Road Adventure.  In Curacao we will probably explore on our own and possiblly get a day pass at the Marriott and have a beach day.

Not to hijack,but we went with a company called gonecarib.com inCuraco.  They are a husband and wife team and they will tailor what you want.  It was very nice!

Edited by irishgal432