Not doing drink Package

1 hour ago, GregoryPaul said:

BTW, you really did seem triggered. 

I agree, Mr. @MEFIowa could have left this discussion long ago, but the tone and frequency of his posts leads me to believe this is a bigger deal than he lets on. I do agree with him, however, that drink prices are inflated and that one doesn't have to consume alcohol in order to have a good time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Sometimes it is best just to use the "ignore" feature on CC

JMO

Well said - slow learner here, I guess. Seems like I’m a moth to a flame when it comes to these goofy drink package arguments.  My guilty pleasure, maybe.

Sheesh. Just do or don’t do Yoda, you out there?

• Haha 2

One thing that perplexes me during these frequent drink package discussions is that there is often a comment or two about how expensive alcohol is on O. I live in a mid-range location (not SFO, but not podunk town) and the cocktail/liquor prices on O are about the same as the mid-range bars/restaurants (more than the local, blue-collar tavern and less than the spendy-hipster-joints). Maybe the beer and wine is what people think is overpriced? The only wine I've had on O is a Cotes du Rhone and it was about what I'd expect to pay in a mid-range restaurant. So why is there the feeling that O-drinks are overpriced?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

One thing that perplexes me during these frequent drink package discussions is that there is often a comment or two about how expensive alcohol is on O. I live in a mid-range location (not SFO, but not podunk town) and the cocktail/liquor prices on O are about the same as the mid-range bars/restaurants (more than the local, blue-collar tavern and less than the spendy-hipster-joints). Maybe the beer and wine is what people think is overpriced? The only wine I've had on O is a Cotes du Rhone and it was about what I'd expect to pay in a mid-range restaurant. So why is there the feeling that O-drinks are overpriced?

I would agree, the prices are not sooooo overpriced. They are more than I'd like to pay for a few drinks, but not more than I'd pay in SF. It does sting a little when you go to locations where off ship the prices are far less, for example many European ports, but it's a cruise... I expect to pay more on board. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

but not more than I'd pay in SF.

I remember paying $10 for a simple cocktail at the W in SFO in the early 2000s and about fell over paying that much! But that was after my BIL had spent a few hundred on a couple of bottles of wine at dinner so I was a bit numb 😉

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I remember paying $10 for a simple cocktail at the W in SFO in the early 2000s and about fell over paying that much! But that was after my BIL had spent a few hundred on a couple of bottles of wine at dinner so I was a bit numb 😉

A good cocktail in SF will run about $22-25 these days... I try not to go out there often

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I agree with you.  O's drink prices are in line with prices paid in mid and upscale restaurants in urban (not necessarily a big city) areas.  Compared to a big city, they are quite reasonable.  A single gin on the rocks in a hotel bar in Toronto was CDN $23 plus tip during our last visit.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3

I can speak to wine. Some of O’s by the glass selections are not horribly priced. However, some of them quality wise don’t rise to the level of plonk and O still charges aggressive prices. My customers don’t typically bring in as low of quality of wine as Oceania does , but when they do the wines are priced at $6-$8/ glass to appeal to the price sensitive buyer. Significant percentage jump between $8 and $12, especially with an additional 20% added on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Personal economics is hardly "triggering". I think we can all do the math. Take that Prestige Package. $60 or $70 per day for 10 nights is $600-700 total. I think you're confused as to what "a few bucks" are? Might have paid all or most of one's airfare to Miami!

What is sad is paying O's inflated alcohol prices, including outrageous forced gratuities (is that 18% or 20% during happy hour?). Don't know about you, but when I can bring my own alcohol on board AND do the captain's & repeater parties drinking for free, I've got better, more interesting things to do with my "few bucks" on a cruise. Like lots of shore excursions.

For perspective, for these 3 10-night cruises our TOTAL cruise-only is $6697. 30 nights! All with verandas.

2022 Sirena B2= $2349.00 pp

2023 Riviera B4= $2249.00 pp

2021 Riviera Concierge A4= $2099.00 pp

BUT if I add $600 pp to each, a total of $1800, I've nearly paid for a 4th cruise!

So, I'll save hundreds of dollars, drink what I want when I want, and take some back home with me.

You repeated this already so many times and seem to be very proud of yourself. OK, we all got it, but no need to shame others who prefer to spend money different way. Not all of them are foolish just to waste their money.

• Like 3

One of the reasons we like to bring our own wine onboard is that there are certain wines that are moderately priced (25$ a bottle) that we really like. We’ve found on our 5-6 cruises on Oceania that for us, it’s absolutely worth the corkage fee since the wines we know we’ll like are much more than that on the menu. That’s not to say we might not enjoy a pool drink or nightcap but I can’t see spending $45-50 on a mediocre wine when we can have one we know we’ll enjoy for the same price. It’s just what works for us😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, exlandlubber said:

One of the reasons we like to bring our own wine onboard is that there are certain wines that are moderately priced (25$ a bottle) that we really like. We’ve found on our 5-6 cruises on Oceania that for us, it’s absolutely worth the corkage fee since the wines we know we’ll like are much more than that on the menu. That’s not to say we might not enjoy a pool drink or nightcap but I can’t see spending $45-50 on a mediocre wine when we can have one we know we’ll enjoy for the same price. It’s just what works for us😊

Absolutely agree. We are making our selections for Thursday’s cruise now! 
13339F75-CF8F-4FA5-9C96-179F26AECE43.thumb.jpeg.8eca05ff5f04595c68ab1251a8a70b2a.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, elio111 said:

So a bottle of $100.00 wine will cost $120.00.  I  was under the impression gratuity was only added if you order a glass of wine and not a bottle  .   May be  i was wrong . 

Thanks

I'm reasonably sure you are incorrect.  I can't find my invoice from my most recent cruise but I seem to recall a gratuity added to a bottle I purchased.

Edited by shepherd really
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elio111 said:

So a bottle of $100.00 wine will cost $120.00.  I  was under the impression gratuity was only added if you order a glass of wine and not a bottle  .   May be  i was wrong . 

Thanks

I wish!! I'll find out in a few months. 

On 2/24/2023 at 8:47 AM, MEFIowa said:

What is sad is paying O's inflated alcohol prices, including outrageous forced gratuities (is that 18% or 20% during happy hour?). 

I don't consider the price of O's alcohol to be inflated.  They are very much in line with other cruise lines and mid-range priced restaurants on land. Adding an automatic gratuity is standard operating procedure.  My club at home automatically adds 20% to my food and bar bill.

I was recently on Royal Caribbean.  Their alcohol prices are very comparable (and sometimes higher) than Oceania's and gratuity was automatically added. If you don't purchase their beverage package, you will pay $3.50 for a bottle of water.  That is what I call inflated!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

II was recently on Royal Caribbean.  Their alcohol prices are very comparable (and sometimes higher) than Oceania's and gratuity was automatically added. If you don't purchase their beverage package, you will pay $3.50 for a bottle of water.  That is what I call inflated!

Before bottled water was included on O  we would take our refillable  bottles & get them filled at the Terrace

We do this when we sail on lines  that charge for water

2 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I wish!! I'll find out in a few months. 

I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe that the gratuity is added to bottles purchased on board, but not added to the corkage fee if you bring your own bottle on board.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CAG said:

I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe that the gratuity is added to bottles purchased on board, but not added to the corkage fee if you bring your own bottle on board.

I dug out a receipt. Yes, there was 20% added to a bottle of wine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To many variables here. Most of us don’t live in SF or NYC and pay $1+million for an efficiency apartment. 🙄. So comparing what drinks costs there versus elsewhere doesn’t really matter.

At question here is the cost of ship well drinks and call drinks ( significant difference in price) versus upper class bars in most major cities ( not SF, Chicago, or NYC). Many establishments have (1) $7.50 glasses of wine and (2) $15-$20 glasses of wine. Difference in wine quality. Trying to sell 1 at 2 prices draws scorn.

• Like 1