Onboard Discovery Princess

avalon1025

10 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

Walked out of the crown grill,  getting a pizza.  Beautiful ship,  but overall a disappointment.  How has Princess fallen so far….  I feel bad for the crew, they are great but passengers…..ugh

This is a 5 day cruise out of LA with school out. Lots of families. Much different vibe than standard Princess cruise. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

In regards to specialty coffees besides the ic there is two other locations in front of princess live shares space with the bar and in the buffet in the pastry isle.  I was on the discovery last October and it was full as well but I used the app for ordering drinks which helped some and could usually find areas that weren't crowded and having made dinner reservations for the week in the mdr before the cruise.

We were on Discovery in August, dont know about passanger count, but I am assuming close to full. The buffet coffee shop and Princess Live coffee shop never had any lines for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

Formal night in Crown Grill, shorts, tee shirts and flip flops.  It’s been a while since I sailed Princess,  but what has happened to this cruise line??

getting bookings numbers/capacity up is a priority. Ratio of passengers to staff is probably low, so don't look for any type of enforcement.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I rarely notice what others are wearing and when I do it doesn’t faze me.  Why let crocs or flip flops bother you?  Just have a good time.  

Because I make an effort to look nice to sail in a nice ship,  i really don’t want to be around people in tank tops and baseball hats in a nice restaurant.  Stay at the Olive Garden for that. 

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I rarely notice what others are wearing and when I do it doesn’t faze me.  Why let crocs or flip flops bother you?  Just have a good time.  

Because I make an effort to look nice to sail in a nice ship,  i really don’t want to be around people in tank tops and baseball hats in a nice restaurant.  If you can’t put on jeans and a shirt for a dinner and your kids can’t survive 90 min without everyone hearing their cartoons on an iPad,  maybe just eat at the buffet.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

Crown grill,  such a disappointment.  My lobster was fishy, salad was blah and everyone around me is in tee shirts and crocs.  

You do know that the dress code is casual in the Crown Grill

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Just booked a last minute cruise on this ship - my first Princess cruise...  Did you get a chance to check out the thermal suite?   Looks pretty small from what I can see...   

I have the full cruise pass.  It’s small,  but very nice.  It’s packed though.  It’s difficult to get a lounge,  people are just putting their belongings on the floor and using the space

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, avalon1025 said:

Casual means pool or workout wear?  Then I am certainly on the wrong ship

Crocs and sandals are not really what I would  call workout wear. Except for boots for snow I no longer have any lace up shoes 

47 minutes ago, memoak said:

Crocs and sandals are not really what I would  call workout wear. Except for boots for snow I no longer have any lace up shoes 

Spoken like a true northwesterner.  I'm Northwest Profile #56, Sandals and Socks Guy.  See the below video.

I also interchange into my footwear routine Crocs and jeans.

I deal with dress codes at my office, so on my own time, I tend to be a lot more casual.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, avalon1025 said:

Because I make an effort to look nice to sail in a nice ship,  i really don’t want to be around people in tank tops and baseball hats in a nice restaurant.  Stay at the Olive Garden for that. 

Because you make an effort to look nice you expect others to do the same? That seems very subjective to me. I’m sorry to hear that the way others dress has such a negative impact for you on your cruise. Perhaps you should try balcony dining so you won’t be impacted by what others are wearing. I’d also say you might want to look for another cruise line besides Princess. I think it’s unrealistic that people are going to change their manner of dress because you don’t like it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

You should just feel proud that you look nice and not worry about others. Life is too short for that. Have a great cruise. I love the Discovery Princess.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, californiagirl said:

Thank you Avalon for the passenger count.  If you have a reason to be at the passenger service desk would you please ask what the passenger count is for the cruise beginning Saturday? 

I’m on this cruise with DH

4 hours ago, jeromep said:

Spoken like a true northwesterner.  I'm Northwest Profile #56, Sandals and Socks Guy.  See the below video.

I also interchange into my footwear routine Crocs and jeans.

I deal with dress codes at my office, so on my own time, I tend to be a lot more casual.

Here in Portland jeans and sneakers are good for most all events except funerals and weddings. I just retired and my shoes are Allbirds and On Clouds and I do not own a tie. My one concession on formal nights are slacks, long sleeve shirt and sports coat. Still slip on shoes I 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Here in Portland jeans and sneakers are good for most all events except funerals and weddings. I just retired and my shoes are Allbirds and On Clouds and I do not own a tie. My one concession on formal nights are slacks, long sleeve shirt and sports coat. Still slip on shoes I 

having lived & worked in different parts of the country (& the world) it is very true that what is casual, ok for dining out, professional ect vary widely from place to place...coming from rural northern CA I was shocked when I went to Atlanta for training & we would go out in the evenings after dinner to the mall & everyone would be dressed in suits & the kinds of clothing we didn't even see at church on Sundays...when I lived in AZ, shorts & t-shirts were common even in very nice restaurants...even the company dress code for the multinational company of what was apropriate business attire was different from state to state...if everyone is wearing clean clothes & everything that needs to be covered is covered then I am happy to share my dining space with you & to be honest I am more bothered by loudly complaining or demanding people in the dining rooms (or elsewhere) than how they are dressed (& don't get me started on people who berate the crew who are doing their best to help them!)

• Like 4

On 2/22/2023 at 10:16 AM, nattie said:

We were on Discovery in August, dont know about passanger count, but I am assuming close to full. The buffet coffee shop and Princess Live coffee shop never had any lines for me. 

We are booked for the Eclipse trip and it has been sold out for a while.  My lovely wife will be happy there are no lines for coffee.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 4:17 PM, DUCHESSRN said:

We board this Saturday , we booked Sun deck as nice big balconies ...International Cafe was a nightmare last October at 75% capacity .

Internet did not exist I am impressed you can post here .

Sun Deck is the best!!

IC lines have been  sooo long  in the mornings  on every cruise this past year!