Any tips on trying to avoid covid on 14 night cruise

Zanny

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The way I understand the info from Princess is that passengers have to have had 'their final dose of an Australian therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) approved or recognised COVID-19 vaccine with the last dose being administered at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise ... ' This refers to 'dose' not ' booster'. Vaccines available in Australia require two doses. This is what Princess is referring to. They don't care if you have a booster close to your cruise.

"Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible at least seven days before cruising." Extract from Princess FAQ.

17 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Here you are. Covid - 19 Vaccine

Princess Cruises continues to operate cruises that meet health authority requirements for sailing with at least 95% of guests aged 12 and over to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and Influenza. These cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) approved or recognised COVID-19 vaccine, with the last dose being administered at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and can provide proof of vaccination. In addition, where local regulations allow, we’re managing a process for exemptions. Guests with medical contraindications to the vaccine are permitted to travel, subject to pre-approval by Princess Cruises. Vaccination requirements do not apply to children aged 11 years and under.

Fully vaccinated guests must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination (with the dates of doses received) at the terminal prior to boarding. Failure to provide this evidence will result in denial of boarding.

Guests should always ensure they understand all requirements to travel from their home country to the destinations they plan to visit. Requirements are updated frequently, and official websites and apps developed by government agencies and tourism ministries are recommended sources for protocols.

A specific law is not required to implement vaccination requirements. Also, having vaccination requirements is not in itself unlawful. The cruising industry and Commonwealth, and Australian State governments have agreed to guidelines aimed at mitigating the risk of COVID-19, which includes a minimum of 95% of guests on each cruise must be fully vaccinated. Anyone aged 12 or over who holds a valid medical exemption as defined by the Commonwealth Government will be permitted to cruise as long as the unvaccinated group is less than 5% of the total number of guests on board. Children under 12 years old who are not fully vaccinated are permitted to travel, and there is no limit on the number of unvaccinated children permitted to sail.

That mention of the 14 days prior seems to relate to the whole concept of 'proof of vaccination' i.e. being vacccinated against covid/ primary course.

I don't think it means you can't have had, say, a 5th covid vaccination less than 7 days before your cruise.

Also, @Zanny I'd avoid the cruise line tours where you have lots of people crammed together in a bus or even a tender. I think the better option is organising your own sight-seeing.

I'm just off an 11 day cruise this morning. Fingers crossed I seem to have avoided the covid on board but I know a lot of people come down with it a day or two or three after disembarking. I'll let you know whether my mask protocol and social distancing worked!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

That mention of the 14 days prior seems to relate to the whole concept of 'proof of vaccination' i.e. being vacccinated against covid/ primary course.

I don't think it means you can't have had, say, a 5th covid vaccination less than 7 days before your cruise.

I think "with the last dose being administered at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise" means exactly that whether the last dose was a booster or not. 

14 hours ago, Zanny said:

Thanks everyone. I will just wear my mask and shield wash hands use sanitiser etc use stairs try to avoid  busy areas (impossible  I know)

The thing that makes it hard masks are not mandatory  now.

People will think I am stupid with mask etc and face shield but I don't  care.Csn only do my best . I don't  fancy being locked in cabin for 5 or so days.

Thanks Zanny

I think people who  think you are stupid for wearing a mask are the ones that will be most upset about being quarantined in their cabins. 

You do you - what other's think is their problem not yours 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

"Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible at least seven days before cruising." Extract from Princess FAQ.

Agreed. Boosters are recommended. Vaccination (initial doses) has to be more than 14 days prior to the cruise. Boosters are recommended (not essential) and there is no restriction on when you have them.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think "with the last dose being administered at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise" means exactly that whether the last dose was a booster or not. 

I don't see it that way. When Princess recommends a booster at least seven days prior to a cruise, I think it makes it clear that the 'last dose being administered at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise' is exactly that - a dose, not a booster. Dose usually means the initial vaccination, not a booster. Otherwise the information is contradictory - although Princess can be like that at times. 🙂

• Like 1

This 14 day rule dates back to the first vaccinations. They were two doses at least 3 months apart and you didn't reach optimal cover ( you were not  considered covered) until 14 days after the second dose.

The same applies to a booster shot, so try to have it at least 14 days prior to sailing.

Juls

• Like 2

I find it really fascinating who gets it or who doesn't. I've been on 5 cruises since cruising restarted and I didn't get Covid on board either.

The first 4 cruises were with masks everywhere - I mostly used 3 layer cloth masks. I also tried to social distance whenever I could. Took the stairs as often as I could (but held on to railings, as I have problems with my knees and I don't want to fall down the stairs) and washed hands in the toilets, going into the shops and dining areas, as well as if there was a hand sanitizing station on entry to bars etc.

The last cruise was with no mandatory face masks (other than Embarking and disembarking) and I did the same thing with washing hands, social distanced etc. I did carry a face mask everywhere, in case I felt the need to wear one, but I never did.

I have had Covid but got it on land, with 2 vaccinations plus one booster.

• Like 1

I think a lot depends on how long the cruises are, how many sea days in a row and how good your immune system is.

We also did five cruises but I caught it on the fifth. We wore KN95 masks when moving around the ship, at the theatre and trivia, but not when seated at a restaurant or bar 

- The first cruise was 7 nights with two separate sea days. Mask wearing was good at the start but tapered off towards the end. Not much sign of Covid onboard.

- The second and third we did B2B, 10 nights with a couple of two sea day sets, then 9 nights with single sea days and a double sea day set plus three days stuck in Melbourne due to bad weather. Mask wearing good on both cruises, not much sign of Covid onboard either cruise.

- The fourth was 12 nights with a couple of single sea days plus a set of three. Mask wearing was OK and, again, we didn't notice much sign of Covid. 

- The fifth was 28 nights with lots of sea days at the start. Mask wearing was good but we noticed signs of Covid after 10 days and I developed symptoms on day 14. There was lots of Covid onboard by the time I got out of isolation. My husband never caught it at all though.

People tend to mingle more onboard on sea days so I guess there is a higher probability of coming into contact with someone shedding the virus, especially when people who are coughing or sneezing aren't wearing masks.

2 hours ago, B'Elanna said:

I have had Covid but got it on land

Maybe this is why you haven't caught it on a cruise- wife and I didn't last longer than 3 days after boarding for our first cruise after the pandemic (and after we flew to Sydney to board) - we hadn't got Covid until then. 

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

Maybe this is why you haven't caught it on a cruise- wife and I didn't last longer than 3 days after boarding for our first cruise after the pandemic (and after we flew to Sydney to board) - we hadn't got Covid until then. 

Hi Well we have about 4 Sea days straight not counting the 1st day. Now I don't  think they have to wear the masks  on the ship now.  We won't  be flying Hope we stay safe as I am very sensible  regarding covid never had it will be using stairs etc

Thanks Zanny 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All.

Well just of Pacific Explorer  today after 14 day cruise. Lots of cabins in iso with covid. Not many people wearing masks the first week. From Tuesday 21st March all staff and passengers  had to wear masks indoors.

I wore mine from day 1 and a face shield and never took the lifts so far all good. I was very careful every where.

Most people were just carrying  on like covid never existed  which surprised me

Regards Zanny

• Like 2

I want to add another strategy to add to the list of those already mentioned.  I am immunocompromised and have done three cruises since startup.  On the second one we caught covid and I believe it was from a bus excursion where we were on the bus for about 2 hours in each direction with people coughing. 

The strategy I want to add is nasal spray (and also mouthwash).  For many many years I have successfully used nasal sprays that contain carrageenan (a form of seaweed) for long haul flights to avoid catching colds or flus.  The first brand that was available, Vicks First Defence, no longer contains carageenan.  A brand that still does is Flo travel spray.  It can be difficult to find because people who have read some of the clinical trial reports know that it could help to avoid covid if you have been exposed. 

I have now also purchased "Enovid" (also known as Sanotize)- you can not purchase this in Australia but it its active ingredient is apparently even better than carageenan for clearing your nasal passages of covid.  It was invented in Canada and is sold in Israel.   Another brand invented in Australia but, very annoyingly,  not yet available here is 'Viraleze'.     You can search for yourself to find the clinical trials that talk about using nasal sprays when you have or are likely to be in contact with people who are positive.  

There is also some evidence that mouthwashes help to clear your mouth and throat of covid virus. 

So I take a nasal spray and a mouthwash now when I go on a cruise. 

• Like 2

I honestly believe you can take all the precautions in the world and it still is like a lottery as to whether you will  catch covid on board or not,  

My husband and I met a lovely couple on our recent 10 day Pacific Adventure cruise .  They were similar in age to us and in good health.  They readily admitted to having a real fear of covid, both have had all boosters available to them etc and wore masks and face shields except when eating.  They were great fun and were enjoying their first cruise post covid.  Half way through the cruise we stopped seeing them and when I asked friends of theirs they told me the lady had tested positive to covid.   Two days later  they told me her husband had also tested positive. The other 2 couples they were travelling with did not take any precautions and never caught covid as we saw and talked to them each day,  They assured us their friends were feeling fine and felt like they had a typical head cold.

My husband and I did not take any precautions on board, apart from washing or sanitising our hands frequently. 

On the final full day of the cruise (Wednesday) I started to feel a bit off and by the evening felt I may have a cold developing.   On Thursday after arriving home still felt a bit off and on Friday morning I woke up sneezing and with a runny nose.  Did a RAT test and it was positive.   Still felt fine as like a normal head cold and was able to do all our post cruise washing etc.  Now on Sunday morning it is 90% gone.  Hubby woke up this morning with runny nose and yes, he too has just now taken a test and is positive.   Neither of us have left home after returning from the cruise and will not do so until we are sure we are virus free.  We are fortunate to have 2 sons who both live close by and can look after our shopping needs etc.  Even though at least for us the virus in very mild we certainly don't want to risk spreading it to others who may not be so fortunate. 

We cruised in November,  December,  February and then this March cruise.  Got away with it for first 3 cruises and I was lucky to not get infected until very end of this cruise.

So it seems that it really is the luck of the draw as to whether you will catch covid on a cruise, regardless of how much precautionary measures you do or don't take. Our next cruise is in late May and looking forward to it. 

We know their is a risk  that we may catch covid on a cruise and that is a risk we are more than willing to take.  We are true "cruiseaholics" having done about 45 cruises since starting in 2009. If we do feel ill earlier in the cruise we will RAT test ourselves (we bring our own with us ) and report it immediately and self isolate as required. 

This is the world we now live in .  Our motto in life hasn't changed which is "just keep on cruisin' ".

• Like 1

I agree. We took reasonable precautions on the five cruises we did last year, wearing masks when moving about the ship, and in the theatre and at trivia, but not when seated in bars having a drink. I caught Covid during the second week of the last of those cruises, the long Round Australia cruise, and I'm 95% certain I caught it from someone standing right next to me in the Good Spirits bar while they talked to their friends seated behind me. They were coughing heavily with no mask on.

Just do want works for you or what you feel comfortable with. Taken four cruises since December now. Never caught Covid off ship. We don't wear masks.  However, we late dinners and don't do a lot of theate or shows. (Last cruise was two back to backs (20 days). However we early 50s.

Edited by icat2000

I’ve done two cruises since last July-one was a 7 day and one a 14 day. On both, I was really conscious of mask wearing and tried my best to be in open areas. I did end up getting COVID at the end of the 14 day cruise, tested positive the afternoon I got off, but thankfully was quite a mild hit, only had to miss a few days of work.

it really is just a matter of precautions, a lot of people were taking masks off as soon as they sat down in bars and shows, so I tried to be as far away as possible, but sometimes it just couldn’t happen. I did also have a room across from me (interior cabin) in isolation as well and noticed there was a few cabins with tables in front of doors, which means they are isolating.

6 minutes ago, alicat2464 said:

tested positive the afternoon I got off, but thankfully was quite a mild hit,

You were very fortunate that you didn't test positive at the beginning of the cruise - because despite it only having a mild effect on you, you would have been stuck in isolation on that ship for up to 14 days until you no longer tested positive. This why cruising is completely off the radar screen for me - the consequences of being tested positive are worse than the disease itself. 

2 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

You were very fortunate that you didn't test positive at the beginning of the cruise - because despite it only having a mild effect on you, you would have been stuck in isolation on that ship for up to 14 days until you no longer tested positive. This why cruising is completely off the radar screen for me - the consequences of being tested positive are worse than the disease itself. 

Hi, we were told we would only isolate for five days, and then if we were still positive we would test each day until we were negative and then be released from iso. We’d also get the money refunded for each day we were isolated, and had menus from the dining rooms brought to us to order each day, on top of room service and delivery. It wouldn’t be a great situation, but the cruise line (Princess) tried to make it the best they could I guess 🤷‍♀️

41 minutes ago, alicat2464 said:

Hi, we were told we would only isolate for five days, and then if we were still positive we would test each day until we were negative and then be released from iso. We’d also get the money refunded for each day we were isolated, and had menus from the dining rooms brought to us to order each day, on top of room service and delivery. It wouldn’t be a great situation, but the cruise line (Princess) tried to make it the best they could I guess 🤷‍♀️

And that is exactly what happened. I had to isolate for six days as I didn't test positive until the second day although I had symptoms. I can't fault Princess for their care and service. I was actually glad I caught it on a cruise - it was so much easier than catching it at home as we didn't have to worry about meals, getting medical treatment etc. We had a comfy bed, a nice balcony to enjoy the ocean views from, and plenty of books to read. Good food and even good wine (since we could order wines by the bottle at no charge).

• Like 3

We have just come from a 79 day cruise around South America and Antarctica and as far as i know we never got Covid. However in the last week I contracted a flu virus and was tested multiple times and it was never Covid. I have underlying lung issues so I did all the avoid crowds, wear masks at times, walk stairs and avoid lifts. This flu bug was/is nasty and even though I got an extra flu jab in Australia prior to going on the cruise it didn't protect me from northern hemisphere winter flu.

I think Covid is still a problem for the less protected but I got it last July in Rome but this nasty flu bug I am still recovering from this March has had way worse symptoms. As an ex-nurse I am all for people vaccinating and protecting themselves. I only mention it to have a different view point. 

When we go to Europe again in August I will still make sure I have a booster prior to travelling because I still believe you have to do what you can to protect yourself. Which includes things like extra Vitamin D, zinc, C, etc.