HAL Drink package question

carefree@sea

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Curious why you think you couldn't?

When Princess sails from Houston you either can’t use it or it’s very limited.  I know this isn’t Princess or Houston before that get mentioned but it’s not something that never happens. Canada’s liquor rules used to be pretty archaic several years back so there is that too.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

15 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You can drink water out of the tap.  Another idea is to get a drink card and put your cheaper items on there this not using the 15 drinks for that.

Or stock up on waters or soft drinks on the embarkation day, and days you are gone for excursions.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Alphen said:
15 hours ago, carefree@sea said:

Can u use the drink package on the first day sailing away from Vancouver to Alaska

Yes, from the moment you are on board, so enjoy!

We've been told by bartenders that some jurisdictions impose local sales tax while docked...Port Everglades being one of them.  That said, our most recent statements don't show any local sales tax charges on sail out day.

On 2/26/2023 at 4:18 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Curious why you think you couldn't?

You may get dinged for local taxes if you order drinks before sail-away. Also applies while docked in some ports. This may confuse some folks.

1 minute ago, lavictoria said:

You may get dinged for local taxes if you order drinks before sail-away. Also applies while docked in some ports. This may confuse some folks.

Been on 3 cruises now with drink package,  no such issues.  I know historically there have been some issues at Galveston...where else?

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

Curious why you were docked for 3 days?

Because we weren't able to call on Kauai because of weather, so we spent a second night in Honolulu and sailed at 5pm the following day.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 2flacruisers said:

They have a drink card? 

Yes, I’m sure there are people more schooled in this than I am but I’m pretty sure I either bought a $50 or $100 card on a cruise where I didn’t hia. That way you can use that card for water, coffee etc and save the hia for the liquor. It doesn’t run through you cruise card if that makes sense.  It’s a separate card.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, I’m sure there are people more schooled in this than I am but I’m pretty sure I either bought a $50 or $100 card on a cruise where I didn’t hia. That way you can use that card for water, coffee etc and save the hia for the liquor. It doesn’t run through you cruise card if that makes sense.  It’s a separate card.

Thanks for the info...

28 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Beverage cards may not be available for sale on board (not sure), but they are definitely available for purchase on line prior to boarding, though there may be a black out period of a few days immediately prior to embarkation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yerdua said:

Beverage cards may not be available for sale on board (not sure), but they are definitely available for purchase on line prior to boarding, though there may be a black out period of a few days immediately prior to embarkation.

Good information.  Thanks. That’s odd about the blackout.  Yes, I bought mine ahead of the cruise.

I know this has been debated many times, but currently the HAL FAQ page states the packages are limited to 15 alcoholic drinks daily:

The Signature and Elite packages have a daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages, which includes all alcoholic beverages with a menu price of $15 or less (Elite Beverage Package), or $11 or less (Signature Beverage Package). The Quench Beverage Package includes unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and bottled waters 500ml and under.  The packages exclude purchases made in the Mini Bar, Honor Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages purchased on Half Moon Cay and any self-service draft beer.