Electric Outlets in Zaandam cabins

Cruisin Kay D

I really need someone to help with this!!   I need to see a picture of the electric outlets in the Oceanview cabins on Zaandam.  I think I saw or read that there is 1 US outlet and 1 European outlet at the desk in the space under the shelf that held the old TV.   

And does anyone know what the distance in feet/inches from bedside table to those outlets. 

Anyone know if there is any outlet near head of the bed.   

I ask because Mike & I both have CPAPs, and he also has an oxygen floor concentrator that must be connected to his CPAP at night.  So that is 3 plugs every night, not even counting my phone charger.

Appreciate getting this advice/information.   

I am currently on the sister ship the Volendam.  There is one US plug and one Euro on the vanity/desk. There is a single additional plug in the bathroom.   I bring my Euro adapter so I can use both plugs. I have a 4 port USB block with a Euro adapter leaving the US plug available for other appliances.  You will need an extension cord which guest services can supply.  If he slept with his head at the foot end of the bed you would only need about 4 feet of cord for the distance and a little slack. 

Edited by Mary229

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I am currently on the sister ship the Volendam.  There is one US plug and one Euro on the vanity/desk. There is a single additional plug in the bathroom.   I bring my Euro adapter so I can use both plugs. I have a 4 port USB block with a Euro adapter leaving the US plug available for other appliances.  You will need an extension cord which guest services can supply.  If he slept with his head at the foot end of the bed you would only need about 4 feet of cord for the distance and a little slack. 

That isn't a lot of outlets for this day and age of rechargeable devices. No plug by the bed?

46 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

No plug by the bed. Zaandam and Volendam are older ships and have limited outlets. 

Yikes! I haven't been on an R or S ship in 6 or 7 years, so I'm glad I asked. I didn't expect USBs, but I didn't remember that there were so few outlets. Glad I asked--I'm going to have to do some serious scheduling to charge my phone and my camera batteries. 

Is HAL okay with a "squid" cord splitter? I don't think they usually come with a surge protector.

I am remembering a a USB outlet on the base of the beside table lamp on a 2020 Zaandam cruise  -newly refurbished cabins at the time? 

Yes, ships services work with CPAP and other essential medical equipment accommodations. Contact them ahead of time..

6 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That isn't a lot of outlets for this day and age of rechargeable devices. No plug by the bed?

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yikes! I haven't been on an R or S ship in 6 or 7 years, so I'm glad I asked. I didn't expect USBs, but I didn't remember that there were so few outlets. Glad I asked--I'm going to have to do some serious scheduling to charge my phone and my camera batteries. 

Is HAL okay with a "squid" cord splitter? I don't think they usually come with a surge protector.

As long as it doesn’t have a surge protector you can use it.  I have a great apple block I bought on eBay for a very good price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

I am remembering a a USB outlet on the base of the beside table lamp on a 2020 Zaandam cruise  -newly refurbished cabins at the time? 

Yes, ships services work with CPAP and other essential medical equipment accommodations. Contact them ahead of time..

Yes in the vista suites there is a table lamp with USB. This is not available in the OV cabin. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 1:28 PM, Mary229 said:

Yes in the vista suites there is a table lamp with USB. This is not available in the OV cabin. 

What about the neptune suites? Any outlets by the bed? 

-gregma

On 2/27/2023 at 11:49 AM, *Miss G* said:

Zaandam OV has one plug in the entire room.  It is above the desk.  I brought a multi-port USB charger so that I could charge more than one thing at a time.

8679B631-90E0-494E-8C22-B72E30BA09D5.thumb.jpeg.af42f67e59618e724482db6a0d4e4787.jpeg

Great tip.  Just scored one off Amazon Prime for $14.  Delivered in 24 hrs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gregma60 said:

What about the neptune suites? Any outlets by the bed? 

-gregma

Can't confirm, but assume Neptunes gets the improvements first before they work their way down to other cabin levels.

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Can't confirm, but assume Neptunes gets the improvements first before they work their way down to other cabin levels.

I'm hoping so, will bring a long extension cord anyway to run from the desk, up to the ceiling, across the ceiling (hopefully it's magnetic so I can use hooks), down to the head of the bed, and then a multi-strip for CPAPs and other plugin stuff.

-gregma

2 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

I'm hoping so, will bring a long extension cord anyway to run from the desk, up to the ceiling, across the ceiling (hopefully it's magnetic so I can use hooks), down to the head of the bed, and then a multi-strip for CPAPs and other plugin stuff.

-gregma

Check with ships services- accommodations. They seem to be very well versed in handling CPAP requirements.

31 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Check with ships services- accommodations. They seem to be very well versed in handling CPAP requirements.

Thank you, will do that as soon as I get on board.

-gregma

2 hours ago, gregma60 said:

-gregma

If you bring a multi-strip that looks similar to this photo from the HAL Safety video, it will be confiscated:

HAL-Prohibited-Electrical-Adapters.jpg

Edited by Crew News

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

If you bring a multi-strip that looks similar to this photo from the HAL Safety video, it will be confiscated:

HAL-Prohibited-Electrical-Adapters.jpg

If you are talking about with surge protector (difficult to see if this has a surge protector based on the photo), then I am aware.  I don't use strips with a surge protector for anything other than my most sensitive electronics anyway, so don't have any that isn't already used.  They do have on/off switches, but no surge protection.  From what I read, that is the only requirement?

-Gregma

1 minute ago, gregma60 said:

If you are talking about with surge protector (difficult to see if this has a surge protector based on the photo), then I am aware.  I don't use strips with a surge protector for anything other than my most sensitive electronics anyway, so don't have any that isn't already used.  They do have on/off switches, but no surge protection.  From what I read, that is the only requirement?

-Gregma

My point is that if it LOOKS similar to the my photo, it will be confiscated.  It will be up to you after the confiscation to prove to the ship Guest Relations staff that it does not contain a surge protector.  Good luck trying that.  Guest Relations will not call an electrician to verify your claim of no surge protector.  I have been that route.

If your multi-port extension cord does not look like the photo, it will not be confiscated. Here is an option that I use with the cord and base packed in separate pieces of luggage:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YPQ4KS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

On 2/28/2023 at 7:49 AM, *Miss G* said:

Zaandam OV has one plug in the entire room.  It is above the desk.  I brought a multi-port USB charger so that I could charge more than one thing at a time.

8679B631-90E0-494E-8C22-B72E30BA09D5.thumb.jpeg.af42f67e59618e724482db6a0d4e4787.jpeg

Your picture shows 2 plugs clearly - there is an EU plug to the left of the US plug 

Edited by lissie

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Your picture shows 2 plugs clearly - there is an EU plug to the left of the US plug 

Sorry for the confusion.  A plug, to me, is the entire two-unit outlet.  Yes, one is European and one is North American.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

My point is that if it LOOKS similar to the my photo, it will be confiscated.  It will be up to you after the confiscation to prove to the ship Guest Relations staff that it does not contain a surge protector.  Good luck trying that.  Guest Relations will not call an electrician to verify your claim of no surge protector.  I have been that route.

If your multi-port extension cord does not look like the photo, it will not be confiscated. Here is an option that I use with the cord and base packed in separate pieces of luggage:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YPQ4KS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Oh my! That really surprises me.  Luckily the ones we have are much smaller, but do the job for us.  Hopefully they will be OK!  Thoughts?  https://a.co/d/gyaoqbt

20230301_185833.thumb.jpg.9d6df307aac4fc6d92afbf79c95e9468.jpg

Edited by gregma60

I'm planning on using this charging station in the US socket for charging my electronics...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093LDTHZY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2FT4K2WVUA3QY&th=1
51MQ9NRydqL._AC_.jpg

I'm going to use this in the European socket along with an extension cord for my CPAP.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOI2N2M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ALEWIQ2F9CQDR&psc=1
81Y4viV6ZdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crew News said:

Thank you for this post.  I just ordered one since we will be in a OV twice this year on the Zaandam.

• Like 1