Live from the Crown Princess–r/t LA-Hawai’i–March 2-17, 2023

travelin.sisters

Wrap Up & Random Thoughts

Nothing much left to say. Finally got in touch with room service to switch out the minibar. Seas are settling down, they were never really rough (in my opinion) but a fair amount of side to side rocking. It has been a nice first sea day, lots of nice people to meet & chat with, but mostly it’s been a lazy day at sea…it is strange to be so slow getting everything sorted (a lot of stuff going into this cruise, weren’t even sure a few weeks ago if we would have to cancel so starting out rather tired), but we have a lot more days to go…until tomorrow…Aloha & Mahalo for joining on this journey.

Scanned_20230304-1643.thumb.jpg.277260903bec177349b5aa1bac112fdb.jpg

List of my posts in this LIVE: 

• Introduction~post 1

• Pre-cruise: packing~post 10

• Pre-cruise:  booking & trip prep~post 29

• Pre-cruise: last day stuff & weather~ post 43

• Embarkation Day~March 2: good morning, looking forward to boarding~post 67

• Embarkation. Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Star (19), Sky (18) & Sport (17) decks aft~post 69

• Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Sun Deck (16) with Sports & Sky Decks midship & forward~post 70

• Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Lido Deck (15)~post 75

• Embarkation Day~March 2: back to the cabin~Aloha Deck (12)~post 78

• Embarkation Day~March 2:  the papers & the patter~post 89

• Embarkation Day~March 2: DaVinci dinner~post 104

• Embarkation Day~March 2: wrap up & random thoughts~post 114

• Sea Day~March 3: good (very early) morning~post 142

• Sea Day~March 3: patter, weather, progress & photo of the day~post 147

• Sea Day~March 3: mid-morning adventures~post 148

• Sea Day~March 3: lunch & a (mostly) lazy afternoon~post 149

• Sea Day~March 3: DaVinci dinner~post 150

• Like 2

14 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

mattresses in our room are fine...I am pretty sure they are the newer mattresses but not brand new...

so far, the ac has been fine (BIL has been able to make his room warm enough & I have been able to make ours cool enough but its only in the 70s so far) but if there are problems as it gets hotter I will put them in the live

we have only done one lunch in the buffet & a few breakfasts...my sister had cold fried egg on the first day (which she found nasty) lunch we mostly had salad & sandwiches so not an issue, again if issues turn up will post them...I do seem to remember some people have mentioned cold food from the buffet on this cruise

reservations in the MDR have been challenging...will post details as I get to them, but they do not seem to quite have it figured out & I am not sure why

sorry not very good answers yet...maybe as we go

Thank you!  😘

• Like 1

Just now, Jemnibabe said:

Just wondering if they ever came and switched out your shower head for the movable one and if so, how long did it take?  Thanks for all your helpful reports.

they did, it was that morning, within a few hours, photos when I get to that part of the live

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We had Captain Tony on the Crown in November and loved him, found him quite entertaining. He was doing a question and answer session and someone asked how he took care of the ship while he was out and about doing things and he pulled out his phone and said ‘oh, I have an app for that”. He also posts great videos on Instagram. 

• Like 3

Aloha. Thank you so much for the food pictures. Sorry you missed Kauai but as we divide our time between NY and Honolulu, at least you had some extra time to enjoy the city. There is so much to see and enjoy!

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Thank you so much for the food pictures. Sorry you missed Kauai but as we divide our time between NY and Honolulu, at least you had some extra time to enjoy the city. There is so much to see and enjoy!

Sorry for the tangent….looking at a flight from JFK to HNL.  What is considered a good fare (on Hawaiian)?  All I see is $443 for main cabin.  Will it drop for fall?  

• Like 1

I’m so enjoying following along with your trip report! We are pretty loyal to Norwegian but they don’t have a trans-Pacific to Hawaii, so we’ve been looking at this cruise on Princess for a while. We’ve sailed on the Pride of America twice, most recently this past November, when we stayed in Oahu for a few days prior to our cruise. We had visited the Polynesian Cultural Center briefly once before and, like you, I was anxious to return, so I was excited to arrange a full day at the PCC this time, including a guided tour of the park, the luau and tickets to “Ha,” their amazing show. We purchased the Ali’I Package and they picked us up and returned us to our hotel in Waikiki. It’s a bit of a drive to the PCC so, if you choose to buy a package, perhaps you could uber to one of the hotels where they could pick you up.

https://polynesia.com/packages/

If you’re interested, I talk about our visit here in my review. Just scroll down a bit on page 1:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2894497-sailing-on-the-pride-of-america-november-5-12-2022-review/

I also have one question, as it will be our first time on Princess, I was wondering how dressy people get for formal night. Thank you for sharing your cruise with us!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Sorry for the tangent….looking at a flight from JFK to HNL.  What is considered a good fare (on Hawaiian)?  All I see is $443 for main cabin.  Will it drop for fall?  

Aloha. That is actually very good. Hawaiian has a calendar map when you plug in the parameters where you can check the prices for months in advance. Generally the fall is less expensive. Sorry i did not see your post earlier . I don’t check cc but for maybe once a day or so. Keep us posted!

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

I’m so enjoying following along with your trip report! We are pretty loyal to Norwegian but they don’t have a trans-Pacific to Hawaii, so we’ve been looking at this cruise on Princess for a while. We’ve sailed on the Pride of America twice, most recently this past November, when we stayed in Oahu for a few days prior to our cruise. We had visited the Polynesian Cultural Center briefly once before and, like you, I was anxious to return, so I was excited to arrange a full day at the PCC this time, including a guided tour of the park, the luau and tickets to “Ha,” their amazing show. We purchased the Ali’I Package and they picked us up and returned us to our hotel in Waikiki. It’s a bit of a drive to the PCC so, if you choose to buy a package, perhaps you could uber to one of the hotels where they could pick you up.

https://polynesia.com/packages/

If you’re interested, I talk about our visit here in my review. Just scroll down a bit on page 1:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2894497-sailing-on-the-pride-of-america-november-5-12-2022-review/

I also have one question, as it will be our first time on Princess, I was wondering how dressy people get for formal night. Thank you for sharing your cruise with us!

Thank you I will enjoy reading about your trip once we are home & I am missing cruising.

I have a whole section ablout doing the PCC from the ship to come when we get to that day. I would not be brave enough to go to the PCC on anything but a ship's cruise unless we were doing an overnight in Honolulu because it is really tight getting back to the ship before sailaway.

Sea Day~March 4

A (Not So Early) Morning & DaVinci Breakfast

2023-03-0406_50_39.thumb.jpg.c45f49a44b46fd9eec566716c9dd54cc.jpg

By the second sea day I was feeling more acclimated & settled & was able to sleep in a bit. The evening before our waiter had told my sister that they will make eggs benedict any morning in the MDR, so that was where we headed. First, I made her stop at the customer service desk to find out why her minibar had not been exchanged & why crew chat did not work on her phone. The crew chat problem was fixed by logging out & back into her account…which then necessitated once again logging her into my internet plan. Logging into her account on the app is a little frustrating to me, because Princess has screwed up her Medallion account so it can only be accessed by using her booking number…her user ID & password that get her logged into her Princess website account do not work for the app. The CS lady was able to do this for us & she now on the third day has crew chat.

She then called room service who said they had a list of minibars needing changed out & hoped to get to them all that day…I wonder what percentage of people change out their mini bar? It seems like this is something that could be preordered on the app so that they wouldn’t have to deliver & then change out  a so many setups that is so long it takes several days to fulfill. 

Now on to the MDR (DaVinci) for breakfast. Seating was a snap, but then there was quite a wait to order. The couple sitting next to us had to ask for their order again. They said they had been seated first of all the diners, but many others were served before they were. We were taken care of relatively promptly, but after people who we seated after us. 

My sister had the eggs benedict she wanted (she thought the hollandaise was ‘interesting’ & would like to have them once on the way back but not more frequently than that), I had an omelet & bacon, & we both picked something from the pastry tray they passed around. My sister is a milk drinker (good for the bones as we age) & ordering milk on Princess ships is always interesting, sometimes it is a tiny juice glass full or partially, sometimes two of those, sometimes a bigger glass, once it had ice in it (on this ship she has been asked several times if she wants warm or cold milk)...this morning she got 2 small glasses from the person who took her beverage order & a then a large one from our waiter. 

2023-03-0407_59.45-4.thumb.jpg.3b1913283a97eb214f55b0918558fa68.jpg

2023-03-0407_59_54.thumb.jpg.6785bbddb3639a9431e76d604f821b32.jpg

Breakfast over, I went to work on my crochet lei & visit with my new crafting group. After unraveling my work maybe six times between the first class & this one, I was finally satisfied I knew what I was doing & making some slow progress (I had completely forgotten how to do a single crochet the evening before & had to look it up on the internet). Some of the group had finished the popcorn stage of the project & were ready to learn the next step where we added the green fluff around them, while I was less than a quarter done…oh well, I have until we reach Ensenada to get it finished. 

My last stop before heading back to the cabin (I guess I am supposed to call it a stateroom now?) was the International Cafe for cookies). The cookies were still in the oven & I asked again about peanut butter ones. I was told no ma'am, but then when I looked sad he asked a coworker who called somewhere & soon he sent me to sit down & said he would bring them to me. Next thing I know he returned with 4 peanut butter cookies on a saran covered plate. I guess I have made friends with the keeper of the peanut butter cookies…or at least someone with access to them…sad confession, on this ship at least, the always available oatmeal raisin cookies are better than the peanut butter ones. 

2023-03-0410_40_33.thumb.jpg.0fd306c89e08ef50aee337d6de8d061a.jpg

• Introduction~post 1

• Embarkation. Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Star (19), Sky (18) & Sport (17) decks aft~post 69

• Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Sun Deck (16) with Sports & Sky Decks midship & forward~post 70

• Sea Day~March 3: wrap up & random thoughts~post 151

Edited by travelin.sisters
photos
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

Thank you I will enjoy reading about your trip once we are home & I am missing cruising.

I have a whole section ablout doing the PCC from the ship to come when we get to that day. I would not be brave enough to go to the PCC on anything but a ship's cruise unless we were doing an overnight in Honolulu because it is really tight getting back to the ship before sailaway.

Oh, you're right about that. We always do ship excursions when there's any question about scheduling. I thought that I had read that you were going to be in Honolulu overnight, but perhaps it's not the right night as (you know) they're closed on Sunday. Don't feel obligated to look at my review as it sounds like you already have a lot of info about the PCC. I'm glad that you'll finally get to vist again and I know that you'll have a wonderful time! Can't wait to hear about it!

• Like 1

Just now, NikiPinkston said:

Oh, you're right about that. We always do ship excursions when there's any question about scheduling. I thought that I had read that you were going to be in Honolulu overnight, but perhaps it's not the right night as (you know) they're closed on Sunday. Don't feel obligated to look at my review as it sounds like you already have a lot of info about the PCC. I'm glad that you'll finally get to vist again and I know that you'll have a wonderful time! Can't wait to hear about it!

we were overnight in Honolulu. but it was a last minute change because the ship couldn't get into Kauai so they added an extra day in Honolulu...I do look forward to your review as that sounds like a great way to see the islands!

• Like 1

I am loving your review and look forward to each new post! I almost have DH convinced that we need to schedule this cruise for December. A couple of questions, please, if you have time... How dressed up do people get on formal night? I like to dress up but not in a cocktail dress/formal wear. And, I assume you need to already know how to crochet to participate in the crochet lei class...? (I may have to try to teach myself from Youtube as that sounds like a lot of fun.) DH is a San Pedro native and we lived in that area for 35 years before retiring. We both worked in the harbor area so sailing out of the Port of L.A. is kind of a treat for us.

• Like 2

Just now, NikiPinkston said:

I am loving your review and look forward to each new post! I almost have DH convinced that we need to schedule this cruise for December. A couple of questions, please, if you have time... How dressed up do people get on formal night? I like to dress up but not in a cocktail dress/formal wear. And, I assume you need to already know how to crochet to participate in the crochet lei class...? (I may have to try to teach myself from Youtube as that sounds like a lot of fun.) DH is a San Pedro native and we lived in that area for 35 years before retiring. We both worked in the harbor area so sailing out of the Port of L.A. is kind of a treat for us.

The range on formal night is

• men: anywhere from a short sleeve collared shirt to tux...on this cruise in the MDR most were in some kind of jacket (suit or sport coat)
  • women: can pretty much get away with anything but sparkly top & dress pants to full formal gowns...this cruise mostly nicer evening dresses (we have finally found a couple of very comfortable long dresses that pack easily)

you need to know how to do a chain & a single crochet...I have never crocheted much & was never good at it & its been probably 30 years since I have done any, so if you were to make a scarf or even a dish cloth with those two stitches before sailing, you would be good for the craft class (if you are sailing with Tiki Dave & Leialoha as your Hawai'ian Ambassadors...I don't know what the other teams do for crafts...we did the straw leis on our last cruise)

we love the convenience of sailing from home & having port-working family members to 'play taxi' for us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sea Day~March 4

Buffet Lunch & Afternoon Adventure

For lunch, we tend to try a variety of venues (one of the realities of cruising, at least Princess cruising, is that what was true on a different ship, or even the same ship earlier many not be true this cruise). For different cruises the places that are really good are different. Today we moved from the International Cafe to the Horizon Court Buffet for lunch. In order to get to ‘ukulele early enough to find seating, we went about 11:30 & only one side of the buffet was open when we arrived.

I found the salad bar very nice & was happy with mostly that for lunch. My BIL was disappointed that the dish he chose labeled as pasta was actually undercooked gnocchi, but enjoyed his lunch otherwise. My poor sister went through & couldn’t find anything that she was sure would be safe to eat so I asked for someone to help her…the server got a ‘tall chef hat guy’ (I am not sure with all the title changes on Princess what they are actually called.) who was able to direct her to several items she could eat & enjoy. It is hard having an allergy to something that is used to season so many dishes, often without warning. Although the weather was warming up, it still felt too cool to eat outside & there were no tables available, so we ended up walking across to the closed section. 

2023-03-0412_02_19.thumb.jpg.94a5477b2a6b4b66f4c40b37c10cb7a6.jpg

While we were eating a lady came in with one of the new fancy desserts from the packages. As I was trying to inconspicuously take a photo of it, she noticed & brought it over for me to snap. I know many on CC (& I agree) find these a strange addition, especially as an premium benefit, to the Princess menu, however she was delighted & this was already her second (she made sure we knew it was to share) of the cruise. Other passengers in the buffet were also excited about this item. 

2023-03-0412_18_41.thumb.jpg.8ded77ffb4da56344a4910347312f3b3.jpg

Next, off to ‘ukulele early to get good seats (it is much easier to play sitting in a normal height chair than a tall barstool). We were not successful in this as there was an Effy presentation going on. As an aside, you would think, at the price of their jewelry, they could hire someone who could make the talk about color, clarity, carats & cut & the different stones they are featuring interesting rather than sounding like they are reading a script someone else has written (even if they are)....this is not specifically about the person doing it on this cruise, because I have heard parts of the same talk on other ships & it was an equally dull presentation. ‘Ukulele began with handing out instruments that had been turned back in to people on the waitlist & we were ready for some new chords & our second song! 

• Introduction~post 1

• Sea Day~March 4: a (not so early) morning & DaVinci breakfast~post 167

• Like 4

Sea Day~March 4

Patter, Weather, Progress & Photo of the Day

Weather has warmed up & seas are calming down…a nice crossing so far.

3f.thumb.jpg.0050c526e0cf90746afcf4a445a5b52c.jpg

3f.thumb.jpg.0050c526e0cf90746afcf4a445a5b52c.jpg

2023-03-0414_29_04.thumb.jpg.5e500a55a9f57713795e6662c29530a6.jpg

2023-03-0414_28_40.thumb.jpg.cfb3f2566719a7f565063231ff915f67.jpg

2023-03-0408_17_03.thumb.jpg.8dcd27723ebacfa83ddceb50387f3092.jpg

• Introduction~post 1

• Sea Day~March 4 buffet lunch & afternoon adventures~post 172

3b.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/3/2023 at 8:49 PM, travelin.sisters said:

I finally have my laptop plugged in & connected to the internet so hopefully my photos will download & I can start posting yesterday's stuff (last cruise they never would because the internet was so bad, but seems better this cruise)...in the mean time here is a snack to keep you from passing out from hunger (it is delicious)

332612240_1383352322503629_8326661978289138214_n.thumb.jpg.13d6ce83ea4765c93e11bd261ac21929.jpg

Could you please tell me the costs of the internet packages onboard?  I understand they have removed 'minutes' from the 'perks' and now offer 50% discount on the internet packages.

Would appreciate if you could advise or post a picture of the internet packages available.

Thanking you in advance.

Sea Day~March 4

DaVinci Dinner & Evening 

Day 3 in the cruise long tale of dining room reservations: since we had been told that our table would be ready at our assigned time going forward & we could just go to it, we attempted to do this. However, it was not & we could not (well I guess we could have stood behind the people still using it until they got up & left). The hostess went to check & came back & asked if we would wait a few minutes & then we would figure out what to do. After another 20 minutes, I went back to talk to her & she checked & said they were done with dessert but drinking coffee. At this point I was ready for any table they could give us or to go somewhere else to eat. I said to her (I think calmly) that one of my people was diabetic & that they had taken their medication based on being able to eat at our reserved time & needed to have food. They were able to give us a table in another section right away & find our order from our headwaiter (or whatever his new title is…’fancy jacket guy’?). 

I am very frustrated that I am left to feel like I am being unreasonable for wanting to have the reservations we were given on the first day (to say nothing of the reservations I made months ago) honored without waiting an indeterminate length of time each night…at this point I have pretty much given up on getting the same table each night on this cruise & will settle for getting a table when we arrive each night (sad that those have to be the best we can do for expectations). 

3din1.thumb.jpg.a43de1250fe9c3ace2e8bd090ee850df.jpg

3din2.thumb.jpg.72a22bda029622f02c59919a81f433a6.jpg

des3(1).thumb.jpg.9d77027e53e05acc34361d9fed92b3ca.jpg

Starters: crab cake w/tomato carpaccio, fettuccine alfredo…the alfredo was again a great disappointment…last cruise it was incredibly dry & gummy…this was a good consistency, but pretty much the only flavor was an unpleasantly strong saltiness…neither of us who ordered it could finish it (ok I guess technically we could have, but it didn't seem worth it to consume that mucy salt for something that didn't taste good, so we decided not to).

2023-03-0419_16.07-1.thumb.jpg.afceb6daf8629bb91d53ad5426bfde17.jpg

2023-03-0419_16_13.thumb.jpg.412369d035679b731bd928a36de6f271.jpg

Entrees: seared diver scallops, cowboy striploin steak…both were delicious, although my BIL often comments that Princess must think people who eat seafood are all on diets as those portions tend to be smaller.

2023-03-0419_41_48.thumb.jpg.de18624aeed92da73e401d2f18bfb593.jpg

2023-03-0419_41_53.thumb.jpg.7359c0260b22665824dd929130b29035.jpg

Desserts: mango gelato, chocolate & caramel tart…the various gelatos are always a refreshing end to the meal when nothing else appeals, since the love boat dream is no longer a palatable option…the chocolate & caramel tart was not so good. I apparently did not take photos of these

Speaking of the love boat dream…a little after dinner my BIL called that he had received a room service delivery. This is the 2nd unexpected room service delivery he has received this cruise (the first was on embarkation day…3 slices cheese cake & 2 bowls of some kind of chocolate mousse with chocolate chips…when we asked why hd didn’t tell them he didn’t order it, he said he thought maybe I did…for clarity he is in what is technically/officially my room as he likes to watch TV at all hours & my sister would rather sleep so…). When we asked this time why he hadn’t told them he didn’t order it, he said he did, but they insisted that it was for him. I went over to investigate & discovered…2 plates with something that looked very much like the love boat dream of old! 

This is what I think happened…at our meet & greet, I spoke with the director of restaurant operations, Mariusz Czemarmazowicz, about how sad the new love boat dream was compared to the original. I didn’t expect him to do anything about it except hopefully pass the comment on to whoever makes the menu decisions. He told me it was probably due to the contract with Norman Love having ended & not being renewed (although some of the original Norman Love desserts are still the same), but they could probably do something similar.  He took my room number & I thought that was the end of it. But now there were two ‘something similars’ delivered to my room (btw, they were delicious)!

2023-03-0422_08_22.thumb.jpg.086d5c37d11ff94ca50639b1cda5d2e8.jpg

• Introduction~post 1

• Sea Day~March 4 buffet lunch & afternoon adventures~post 172