Shore Excursions

RexMesiter

4 minutes ago, LostFan#1 said:

Has anyone paid for their optional excursions with OBC? Does that add extra time to the book & pay quickly scenario?

Yes.  For example, our TA always gives us the maximum credit Viking allows per cruise, depending on the number of days.  And she makes sure it is applied to our account before excursions open for booking.  Viking them applies those credits first—you don’t have a choice.  Whatever credits you have available get applied.  Then you pay for the rest.  It doesn’t take any extra time that I’ve ever seen.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LostFan#1 said:

Thank you for the timetable, Nonna. Once the owner's suite can choose their excursions, I presume descriptions for all excursions will be available? It would help enormously to know what is offered well before I need to choose and pay as quickly as possible.

you are welcome! that was copied and pasted directly from viking website. keep checking your "my viking journey' for excursion choices. For our cruise they added different ports at different times. Happy cruisin!!

7 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes.  For example, our TA always gives us the maximum credit Viking allows per cruise, depending on the number of days.  And she makes sure it is applied to our account before excursions open for booking.  Viking them applies those credits first—you don’t have a choice.  Whatever credits you have available get applied.  Then you pay for the rest.  It doesn’t take any extra time that I’ve ever seen.

good to know! thanks!

29 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thank you - excellent info., just what I needed.

Same case with vouchers.  If you have some pieces of vouchers that must be used before boarding, Viking automatically applies that amount to excursions you select.

We also did the ACH Checking thing since it saved LOTS of key time. It was VERY fast that way and it is 3.3 % off.  (I know people like their credit cards, but buying one excursion at a time goes much faster with ACH, and minutes count!)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RMLLEL said:

Can my husband be on one computer and I on another one and can we book 2 different shore excursions (in different ports) at the same time, using 2 different credit cards?

No. The MVJ database is locked by booking number and a single connection. Only one connection may update it. The other will get an error if it tries to do something simultaneously.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

No. The MVJ database is locked by booking number and a single connection. Only one connection may update it. The other will get an error if it tries to do something simultaneously.

Agreed. DH and I tried this 5 days ago and it was exactly as you said. I was locked out, but DH was able to book our excursions and in the end we got everything we wanted.

15 minutes ago, junglejane said:

Agreed. DH and I tried this 5 days ago and it was exactly as you said. I was locked out, but DH was able to book our excursions and in the end we got everything we wanted.

Thank you. Glad you told me. Never sailed on a cruise line that had a system like this where you book shore excursions by how much your cabin costs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nonna2018 said:

Yep, just checked the viking website, 5 categories can choose before us. next time, we'll book a higher category. It could very well be worth it to be able to have a better chance at getting our preferred excursion choices. Thanks everyone for the hints and tricks.

• Owner’s Suite—107 days from sail date
  • Explorer Suites—97 days from sail date
  • Penthouse Junior Suites—87 days from sail date
  • Penthouse Veranda Staterooms—77 days from sail date
  • Deluxe Veranda Staterooms—67 days from sail date
  • Veranda Staterooms—60 days from sail date

You don’t have to wait until your next cruise if you decide you want a higher category, all it takes is a phone call if you want to change to a different cabin and/ or catagory, the only downside is that you pay the current price, so if the price has gone up since you booked you have to pay the difference. I have changed my mind several times after booking!

On 3/1/2023 at 10:34 AM, RexMesiter said:

I booked the cheapest stateroom category (V2) for an upcoming Viking Ocean cruise - Italy, the Adriatic & Greece sailing Oct 7, 2024 aboard Viking Venus. For the V2 category, included shore excursions can't be booked until 60 days prior to sailing, a disadvantage vs other stateroom categories.  Is it likely that some shore excursions will be full by the time I get to choose?

We are on the same cruise (October 6 this year) and in same category for booking excursions, but in 2023 -- coming up soon.  We were unable to get either Pompeii or Herculaneum but were able to book what we wanted otherwise.  The "included" tour in Naples was showing sold out, but more spaces were added a day or two later after complaints to the Chat in MVJ.  So far, no additional Pompeii though.  Also, the included tour in Bari is still SOLD OUT but the agent told me that they will find space once aboard and that even for Pompeii or any other paid tour, there's a chance of getting on a tour on "Standby."  We booked a tour in Ephesus through Viator which picks up at the cruise port but haven't found one yet for Pompeii which will work with the ship's midday arrival.  I'm going to keep asking about it and complaining (politely) to Viking

9 hours ago, CHammond said:

You don’t have to wait until your next cruise if you decide you want a higher category, all it takes is a phone call if you want to change to a different cabin and/ or catagory, the only downside is that you pay the current price, so if the price has gone up since you booked you have to pay the difference. I have changed my mind several times after booking!

Thank you! I'm learning something new every day!! I had no idea I could change cabin/category at this point. We will roll the dice this time around, since we can book excursions tomorrow but in the future we may just get a higher category to start with, thanks again for the info!!

Well, my excursion reservations time just opened up 3ET). What a disaster. The system is obviously overloaded. Messages like page not found, some confirmed reservations showing up on calendar others not, long time to process payments and reservations. And right before 3 Live Chat was available, but disappeared right after, since no doubt everyone was having issues. This was the day that deluxe veranda reservations opened, so over 260 cabins. Viking needs to tweak this!

• Like 1

I am in a DV also, and logged in to the minute when the reservations opened. I so appreciate the tips that I learned here! There were some hiccups, as @Gail Boertzel mentioned, but I was able to book my most preferred paid excursion right away before the trouble started. So I just booked my included ones and then went back and tried again and was able to book the one other paid one. All in all, not too bad.

• Like 2

I will also report that I used ACH (previously signed up for) and I did not have to input the account information in order to pay for an excursion. Happily, the information on this Board was correct, as opposed to what I was told on Live Chat. I have now sorted everything out with the help of a Live Chat person so that confirmed reservations now appear on my calendar, which was not the case initially, which left me wondering if I really had a reservation or not.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gail Boertzel said:

I will also report that I used ACH (previously signed up for) and I did not have to input the account information in order to pay for an excursion. Happily, the information on this Board was correct, as opposed to what I was told on Live Chat. I have now sorted everything out with the help of a Live Chat person so that confirmed reservations now appear on my calendar, which was not the case initially, which left me wondering if I really had a reservation or not.

I used ACH too, which I just signed up for a few hours before reservations opened. I’m glad everything worked out for you!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gail Boertzel said:

confirmed reservations now appear on my calendar, which was not the case initially, which left me wondering if I really had a reservation or not.

The important place for your confirmations are in the excursion listings in MVJ where you booked them. The calendar issue is just a glitch, which a chat person can easily fix. Glad it worked out for you!

I will also note that you will receive an email showing your excursion purchases and reservations.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I used ACH too, which I just signed up for a few hours before reservations opened. I’m glad everything worked out for you!!

Thanks everyone for the ACH tip!! Just finished booking my excursions and it worked like a charm!! I put my bank info in this morning and it was updated immediately. It saved a good amount of $$ too since some of the excursions were on the higher side. Even though I was the last group to book, most of our first choices were still available, with the exception of 2. Not too bad at all. Also, I  noticed spa appts are open now too. I  know I  had seen previously that I would have to wait until onboard, like the dining reservations. I was able to book massages for hubbys birthday. Thanks again for all the great tips and info. I did pay for each one immediately as suggested. The ACH tip made things quite painless too!! Thank you cc!!!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 10:46 AM, Azulann said:

Also keep checking back on MVJ after you book your excursions on Friday. Sometimes they open up. People cancel before and during the cruise for various reasons. Or they do add more buses and guides sometimes. Which cruise are you doing and what ship?

Also on our  sailing, June12-22 Scenic Scandinavia,  others excursions were added in a couple of ports  a coupe of weeks ago. Our cruise is sold out . Looking at my MJV  some of the very small excursion are all sold out but others still available.

BTW, welcome to Cruise Critic . Be sure to join your roll call for your particular itinerary on your Viking ship.  Ask others you will be saying with about maybe doing a private excursion amongst yourselves.

thanks for this tip! I checked back on MVJ and lo and behold a previously sold out excursion had a few slots left! I most likely wouldn't have thought to do so if I hadn't seen your post.Thank you!

• Like 2