Is Tracey Arm Ex worth it, if going to Glacier Bay?

Leigha7

Is the Tracey arm excursion at around $600 US for two people worth it if I am traveling on HAL and also going to Glacier Bay, or is it just more of the same? I believe it would definitely be worth it if I was traveling on a line that doesn’t go into Glacier Bay… interested in hearing from people who have done both Tracy Arm Excursion and  Glacier Bay….Just wondering if my $600 would be better spent on a different excursion?

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic @Leigha7!  I have been to Glacier Bay 5 times and also the Tracey Arm excursion from the Nieuw Amsterdam.  The Tracy Arm is a different experience because it's in a much smaller boat so the perspective up by the glacier is wonderful!  That excursion has been the one I enjoyed the most of any HAL excursion so far.  If you are comfortable with the price, I highly recommend it!  If it means skipping another different type of excursion than for your first Alaska cruise I would go on the other excursion instead. (Whale watching, Skagway train etc.)  Since I have been to Alaska a few times I would choose the Tracy Arm again!

Have fun,

~Nancy

• Like 2

Yes, absolutely worth it - Glacier Bay is awesome of course, but going into Tracy Arm is an experience of a lifetime!  We saw HUNDREDS (no, I'm not exaggerating, really) of Orcas - and that was just the beginning.  The scenery in the "arm" is just breathtaking. Would do it again in a heartbeat.  It is pricey, but absolutely worth it.  If I had to, I would make it the only excursion for that cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Moriah said:

Yes, absolutely worth it - Glacier Bay is awesome of course, but going into Tracy Arm is an experience of a lifetime!  We saw HUNDREDS (no, I'm not exaggerating, really) of Orcas - and that was just the beginning.  The scenery in the "arm" is just breathtaking. Would do it again in a heartbeat.  It is pricey, but absolutely worth it.  If I had to, I would make it the only excursion for that cruise.

Thank you! It’s really great to get everyone’s input!  I don’t mind paying if it’s an incredible experience, but if I felt like I had wasted my money, after seeing Glacier Bay, I would be disappointed I had spent my money there.

We are planning on doing the White Pass train, and one other, so based on these great reviews, Tracey Arm it will be!!

10 hours ago, cruisin'mama said:

Tracy Arm is one of my favorite places. The small boat tour makes all the difference! 

Wow ~ Alaska seems to be one that people return to again and again!! 😍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moriah said:

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic @Leigha7!  I have been to Glacier Bay 5 times and also the Tracey Arm excursion from the Nieuw Amsterdam.  The Tracy Arm is a different experience because it's in a much smaller boat so the perspective up by the glacier is wonderful!  That excursion has been the one I enjoyed the most of any HAL excursion so far.  If you are comfortable with the price, I highly recommend it!  If it means skipping another different type of excursion than for your first Alaska cruise I would go on the other excursion instead. (Whale watching, Skagway train etc.)  Since I have been to Alaska a few times I would choose the Tracy Arm again!

Have fun,

~Nancy

We are going to limit it two excursions for our first trip, because I’m sure we’ll be back!  We are planning to do the White Pass train, and one other, so I’m thinking, based on this great feedback, it has to be Tracy Arm! Thank you!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Is that $600 per person?    

We got diverted to Dawes Glacier when Tracy Arm Fjord was full of ice flow.    We got to get closer to the glacier, and took the boat all the way to Juneau.   Definitely worth it!

10 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Is that $600 per person?    

We got diverted to Dawes Glacier when Tracy Arm Fjord was full of ice flow.    We got to get closer to the glacier, and took the boat all the way to Juneau.   Definitely worth it!

No, it’s a little under $600 for TWO people. I appreciate everyone’s comments!!

I've been told to definitely do it, so I booked it for our family of 5. Ouch LOL....but cheaper than the original tour we had booked for that port stop, so I guess that makes it slightly less painful.

• Like 1

Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm are two entirely different experiences. 

Glacier Bay is exactly that---a bay, filled with glaciers, with mountain scenery in the background. The eye is assaulted with visions of snow and ice, with ice floes floating away from the glaciers. 
Tracy Arm is a fjord, that happens to have a glacier at the end (actually two, at different turns). It is narrow, making you feel enveloped by the majesty. The glaciers themselves are fairly small, compared to those in Glacier Bay (and even more so compared to Hubbard Glacier). In the smaller catamaran you can get much closer, though, than the large ship will get to the glaciers in Glacier Bay. 

Both experiences are worthwhile. 
I have been up Tracy Arm on the cruise ship, and only managed to get a glimpse of the Glacier in the distance. I once did book the Volendam for the sole purpose of taking the small boat excursion. It was well worth it. 

• Like 1

I have been fortunate enough to see Tracy Arm in August on a sunny day.  Same trip was Glacier Bay.  You didn't say when you are going, but too early in the season you can run into ice, and not make it all the way or divert to Dawes.  For me, it was worth it.

• Like 1