Mobility Scooter

mrsihopes

9 hours ago, mrsihopes said:

Can you suggest any company which I could get a Mobility Scooter delivered to the Discovery Princess in San Pedro????

We used Scootaround for our last Panama canal cruise. 

The scooter was in the cabin upon arrival, and we left it there when we disembarked.   It was a brand new, fully charged scooter.  it fits well into the accessable cabins, but would be a tight fit in a regular cabin.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

"Although we do not offer mobility devices onboard for personal use, you are welcome to bring your own device. Alternatively, we do partner with the following companies who provide wheelchairs and other medical equipment for rent, and they can deliver directly to the ship. If a rental is a better solution for you, please do contact them directly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mrsihopes said:

Can you suggest any company which I could get a Mobility Scooter delivered to the Discovery Princess in San Pedro????

Just got off Discovery Princess in San Pedro. Special needs at Sea was excellent . The way it worked for us was when we arrived and dropped off our luggage we asked the attendant for a wheelchair to take us to our room (that's where the scooter will be). A wheelchair attendant came out and picked us up at luggage and pushed us to Check in. After check in you switch attendants who pushes you all the way to your room where your scooter is waiting.

When you disembark the ship you drive your scooter to your disembarkation lounge where the manager will call for a wheelchair who will push you all the way to the street. 

Only one little problem. Since we were one of the first people on the ship the scooter was not yet in the room. The attendant pushed us to the buffet where we had a bite to eat. When we finished and went back to the room the scooter was in the room.

I was impressed with Princess and Special Needs at Sea.

7 hours ago, cptlapcat said:

Just got off Discovery Princess in San Pedro. Special needs at Sea was excellent . The way it worked for us was when we arrived and dropped off our luggage we asked the attendant for a wheelchair to take us to our room (that's where the scooter will be). A wheelchair attendant came out and picked us up at luggage and pushed us to Check in. After check in you switch attendants who pushes you all the way to your room where your scooter is waiting.

When you disembark the ship you drive your scooter to your disembarkation lounge where the manager will call for a wheelchair who will push you all the way to the street. 

Only one little problem. Since we were one of the first people on the ship the scooter was not yet in the room. The attendant pushed us to the buffet where we had a bite to eat. When we finished and went back to the room the scooter was in the room.

I was impressed with Princess and Special Needs at Sea.

Thanks for the information! We have had great experiences with Special Needs at Sea in Port Canaveral (only difference is that in Port Canaveral you get the scooter before boarding). We're looking for a scooter rental out of San Pedro on the Emerald this summer so I'm glad to hear that they were good there.

Glad you started this thread, I just had to buy DW her own scooter. We have an upcoming cruise in May. Just wonder if it is possible to use tender with them or if she'll have to stay on the ship for those ports.

I can answer this with the most useless answer - it depends. First, if the sea is rough she will probably be denied. Second, she must be able to get off the scooter and transfer under her own power. There will be stairs to navigate. The crew will be there to assist but cannot lift her. Third, the scooter cannot weigh more than 100 lbs. The crew will lift it into and out of the tender. Finally, your wife will have to go up the stairs from the tender to the dock.

I have post-polio syndrome and no longer do tender ports. This is my choice. I did do them when I used a scooter more for mobility in the past. Now that I have both lack of mobility and poor balance I choose to stay on board.

• Thanks 1