The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 10th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Woo hoo!  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Just checked in quickly — we’re babysitting.  Good news!

Great news!   We went out to dinner tonight to celebrate.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I just got a call that a dear friend from medical school died this morning. She had the same cancer that my DH died from. Ocular melanoma is a rare form of eye cancer and the only thing it has in common with skin melanoma is the name. There is no cure. It seeds to other areas almost immediately. The speed at which it kills you is based on the genetics and how aggressive it is. My husbands showed up in his liver 6 years after diagnosis and he died 20 months later. Hers showed up in her liver 20 years after diagnosis and she died 4 years later. We were both 36 when we started medical school so we bonded as the atypical student. She was an amazing person. 

I'm sorry to hear you lost your dear friend today.  Very strange that it was the same cancer your DH died from.  Prayers for you and your friends's family.🙏

8 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!  Thinking about you all today - you are all awesome, I agree!   Pat should be coming home this morning, he emailed earlier that the "caterpillar" had been removed.  the surgeon poked his head into the room at 7 last night and said he was trying to arrange a CT scan for Pat before hje leaves the hospital, so we have to wait to see what the timing will be.  The doctor also called me and said that if it were him, he'd take the cruise, because if anything more needs to be done, it would probably take a month or so to get it organized.  I have to go for my Prolia shot, so DD will pick Pat up if I'm not back when he calls.

Where phone booths go to die - Kingston upon Thames

IMG_0200.thumb.jpeg.726f6c2878d99a0df7a42c70ce16f0c2.jpeg

I did post my pictures from Tonga last time, so I'll just add a few from the botanic garden we visited.  As I mentioned, I picked up a bug there which took a long time to get rid of, so I don't recommend eating ashore!

The king had just died so a lot of people were wearing black, including our guide.

P1000222.thumb.JPG.776dc99a08231ec86f13dc969c7003fe.JPG

In the botanic garden, pineapples, papaya, etc., and tamarind pods on the ground.

IMGP0767.thumb.JPG.e6ccd5a624cd2dc38ae980cf811fad32.JPG

P1000220.thumb.JPG.890dea23308b5d6f0339ede78f41fc9c.JPG

P1000219.thumb.JPG.141c6f4a7ebf44255f416963ef97cb8a.JPG

Thanks for the new photos of our port of the day.  When you stop to look at it, aren't pineapple plants really odd looking?  Imagine being the first person to see one and wondering what do you do with that prickly growth in the center?  Your mention of Prolia reminds me that my bone density test results were excellent.  I'm hoping never to have osteoporosis!  One less thing to worry about.

Glad your DH Pat is home now.  Hope he is back to normal soon.

5 hours ago, summer slope said:

I guess I’m the exception to others in my opinion of the Amazon. I disliked the cruise. The ship was great but the Amazon is dirty and hot. Saw nothing from the ship. I suggested to friends that they fly into Manaus and take a local guide. Would probably be able to see the rainforest. 

You're not alone Dixie.  We didn't think much of our visit to the Amazon either.  Maybe it was just our cruise, since we were onboard together.  One and done for us!

5 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Pitures from our ferry today. 

Starting with St Petersburg bayfront and touring the old Henry Plant Hotel in Tampa. 

20230310_100055.jpg

20230310_100109.jpg

20230310_100213.jpg

20230310_100311.jpg

20230310_100531.jpg

20230310_100539.jpg

20230310_112527.jpg

20230310_112530.jpg

20230310_113007.jpg

20230310_113010.jpg

20230310_115612.jpg

20230310_150634.jpg

Thanks for our photos of St. Petersburg and Tampa.  It's really a pretty place.  We've cruised from Tampa before, plus we visited our DGD who attends U.of South Florida Tampa.  She loves it down there!  Thanks for the photos.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This afternoon the weather was better than predicted aand warmer than predicted.  We ran a quick errand early this afternoon and noticed there was no wind.  When we got home, I took advantage of no wind and spayed another dose of weed killer.  Naturally, just as I started spraying a light wind started blowing.  At least, it wasn't enough to stop me from spraying.  Of couse the wind stopped when I went for my walk.  Isn't that the way it always happens?

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie @dfish and Maxine @AncientWandererwe booked the South America/Antarctica cruise for 2025!  🙂  Debbie I don't know if you saw that Maxine and I were discussing it a couple days 

7 hours ago, dfish said:

My condolences to you on  you have many great memories to give  you 

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Woo hoo!  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Just checked in quickly — we’re babysitting.  Good news!

That is great you all will be on the same cruise.  We've been around the Horn twice, but did not sail to Antarctica.  We did take a tour that flew over Antarctica.  That was truly awesome scenery.

Debbie, I'm glad the not so handy handyman was one and done, and that he did not get all the money he thought he should.

58 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Pat is home, and seems pretty normal!  Now I can worry about all of you - and think of those losing friends and loved ones.  Tana, Sarah, and all those ailing are in my prayers.

Ann, that's good news. Give him our best wishes.

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Tonight we went to hear and see the Atlanta Master Chorale perform the Magnificat, 6 different versions of the music.  They ended with Bach's version.  After the concert we stopped at the Golden Arches and I ordered a kids meal.  The or9der taker said, You probably dont want the toy, and I said yes I do.  I've been an adult all day, and it is very tiring.  I want my toy.  Turned out the toy was a book.  Paddington!  So I guess I need to get the bear out of the trunk and read it to him, again.   It was interesting, they showed a list of the books on the back of the Paddington Book.  They were teach a Mouse books, and Pete the Cat books.  Now you all know I love cats, but did you know that my nickname is / was Mouse?  And that I became an owner of Paddinton in 1975?  He fell on my head in a toy store in Bloomington MN, and I have had him ever since.  It was just sort of weird, eating a kids cheeseburger drinking a low fat, reduced sugar chocolate milk, and having my life  flashed i front of me.

• Like 6