Flam railway excursion availability

cruisewiscrrq

We (two couples DV Cabins) are on Viking Homelands cruise from Bergen to Stockholm in June.  We very much want to do Flam railway excursion! As we are in DV staterooms, how likely is this excursion going to be available when we are allowed to book?  If sold out what is probability that it will open once we are on board?  I know we could do NIN out of Bergen but only one couple will arrive in time to do this.  Any suggestions, experiences from anyone who has done this are welcome.

Book it yourself on line! The railway is about a 3 minute walk from the cruise port. 
Price to book on line is $50 from Flam to Myrdal roundtrip. The price to book on Viking is $150. It is the same train, the same commentary. The only difference is that someone with a sign walks you the 3 minutes.  If anyone has a legit reason to book with Viking, I can’t imagine what it would be. 

It’s a wonderful train ride! I hope you do it. 

Here is the link:

https://www.norwaysbest.com/the-flam-railway/round-trip-with-the-flam-railway/?referrer=3919

• Like 2

If you miss out on the Viking excursion, it is very easy to book the train independently. FYI it is not exclusively a tourist train but a regular service to connect the fjords at Flam with the Oslo to Bergen main train service.

This link will  allow you to book directly online and there is a specific timetable that services June, July and August.

https://www.norwaysbest.com/the-flam-railway/round-trip-with-the-flam-railway/

To allow you the best experience it could be worth reading through advice on the link belopw:-

https://www.walkmyworld.com/posts/flam-railway

EDIT:- beaten to it by LinnieRed and I echo her sentiments. Cheaper and just as good to book it yourself.

Edited by arlowood
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisewiscrrq said:

We (two couples DV Cabins) are on Viking Homelands cruise from Bergen to Stockholm in June.  We very much want to do Flam railway excursion! As we are in DV staterooms, how likely is this excursion going to be available when we are allowed to book?  If sold out what is probability that it will open once we are on board?  I know we could do NIN out of Bergen but only one couple will arrive in time to do this.  Any suggestions, experiences from anyone who has done this are welcome.

Pretty hard to do by yourself from the middle of the Eidfjord. Easy to do from Bergen before the cruise begins. Voss, Geilo and the Bergen Railroad is an excellent second choice if the Flam trip is fully booked, and always check when you go onboard for cancellations. 

• Like 1

on the excursion we took the train one way and bus the other and had a great lunch!!!  The train was  late getting back ( another train on the track had a problem).  The ship waited for us...if you were on another train and independent  the ship would not wait.

Chances are you will get on the excursion sometimes if there is a lengthy wait list Viking will add another bus or train car.

3 hours ago, deec said:

on the excursion we took the train one way and bus the other and had a great lunch!!!  The train was  late getting back ( another train on the track had a problem).  The ship waited for us...if you were on another train and independent  the ship would not wait.

Chances are you will get on the excursion sometimes if there is a lengthy wait list Viking will add another bus or train car.

Was yours a Viking excursion?  I have not seen anything offering a bus one way and train the other.  that sounds like something I would like to do.  We are booked on Icelands Majestic Landscapes in July.  I am afraid the train will be packed with tourists at that time of year.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

2 hours ago, Camden lady said:

Was yours a Viking excursion?  I have not seen anything offering a bus one way and train the other.  that sounds like something I would like to do.  We are booked on Icelands Majestic Landscapes in July.  I am afraid the train will be packed with tourists at that time of year.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

This is the description of the excursion--from Eidfjord as @janetcbl mentioned--from MVJ:  "The Scenic Flåm Railroad -- Through Fjords and Over Mountains by Road and Rail
Marvel at Norway’s stunning beauty during a full-day excursion to Flåm, one of its most-scenic coastal villages.   You will find the countryside as breathtaking as your destination while riding by motor coach from the shores of Hardangerfjord to Sognefjord, crossing scenic mountain passes and driving through manmade tunnels en route.  Travel through picturesque woodland to the Tvinde Waterfall cascading down the steep cliffside.  After a short stroll close to the waterfall, continue to Flåm.  Then, board the Flåm Railway for a thrilling ride as you climb nearly 3,000 feet through 20 tunnels and over numerous bridges.  Change trains at Myrdal and continue through more spectacular vistas, alighting in Voss, settled among snowcapped mountains, forests, lakes, and rivers.  Stop for a delicious lunch at its famous hotel before returning to your ship, seeing more beautiful scenery via motor coach."

It is sold out for our Viking Homelands voyage starting 01 May.  I'm not sure, however, if it sold out during the period when PVs were allowed to book or once DVs could do so.  I believe shorex bookings are now open to all categories on our sailing.

1 hour ago, loriva said:

It is sold out for our Viking Homelands voyage starting 01 May. 

Keep checking MVJ. People change their minds. People have to cancel last minute. Viking does not keep a waiting a list and does not announce if seats become available. It is fist come first served.

If you can only get one seat, take it. Then contact Viking (tellus@vikingcruises.com) to see if you can get a second. If you can't get one immediately, you still have until to 8 days before you board to cancel the one seat.

2 hours ago, loriva said:

This is the description of the excursion--from Eidfjord as @janetcbl mentioned--from MVJ:  "The Scenic Flåm Railroad -- Through Fjords and Over Mountains by Road and Rail
Marvel at Norway’s stunning beauty during a full-day excursion to Flåm, one of its most-scenic coastal villages.   You will find the countryside as breathtaking as your destination while riding by motor coach from the shores of Hardangerfjord to Sognefjord, crossing scenic mountain passes and driving through manmade tunnels en route.  Travel through picturesque woodland to the Tvinde Waterfall cascading down the steep cliffside.  After a short stroll close to the waterfall, continue to Flåm.  Then, board the Flåm Railway for a thrilling ride as you climb nearly 3,000 feet through 20 tunnels and over numerous bridges.  Change trains at Myrdal and continue through more spectacular vistas, alighting in Voss, settled among snowcapped mountains, forests, lakes, and rivers.  Stop for a delicious lunch at its famous hotel before returning to your ship, seeing more beautiful scenery via motor coach."

It is sold out for our Viking Homelands voyage starting 01 May.  I'm not sure, however, if it sold out during the period when PVs were allowed to book or once DVs could do so.  I believe shorex bookings are now open to all categories on our sailing.

Thank you for this.  I will need to look into that one and hope I can get it when the DV opens up.

This is different from what we did. Ours was on “Homelands”; “Voss, Geilo &Bergen Railway”. We took the train from Voss to Geilo and it did not include Flam-Myrdal.

1 hour ago, Camden lady said:

Thank you for this.  I will need to look into that one and hope I can get it when the DV opens up.

Here's what it looks like this July:

Full-Day Railway Journey to Voss

$259 Per Person

Day 4  Flåm, Norway
Wednesday, July 19
10:30 AM
7 Hours

EASY

MEAL

SIGHTSEEING

UNESCO
The Quintessential Norway Experience

Marvel at Norway’s stunning beauty during a breathtaking full-day “Norway in a Nutshell” experience.

You will board the world-famous Flåm Railway at the cruise pier and climb nearly 3,000 feet through 20 tunnels and over numerous bridges. Stop at Kjosfossen waterfall for photos of this pristine natural wonder. You will change trains and continue to Voss, where a motor coach takes you to the Molstertunet open air museum. Here, you will gain rich insight into 18th-century life in these high mountain valleys. Continue to Tvinde waterfall for a photo stop. Enjoy lunch at the famous Stalheim Hotel, with magnificent views of the Naerøyfjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, from the veranda. Return to your ship via the mountain descent known as the Stalheimskleiva. With its steep grade and 13 hairpin turns, this is not a trip for those who fear heights.

8 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Here's what it looks like this July:

$259 Per Person

Day 4  Flåm, Norway
Wednesday, July 19
10:30 AM
7 Hours

EASY

MEAL

SIGHTSEEING

UNESCO

Marvel at Norway’s stunning beauty during a breathtaking full-day “Norway in a Nutshell” experience.

You will board the world-famous Flåm Railway at the cruise pier and climb nearly 3,000 feet through 20 tunnels and over numerous bridges. Stop at Kjosfossen waterfall for photos of this pristine natural wonder. You will change trains and continue to Voss, where a motor coach takes you to the Molstertunet open air museum. Here, you will gain rich insight into 18th-century life in these high mountain valleys. Continue to Tvinde waterfall for a photo stop. Enjoy lunch at the famous Stalheim Hotel, with magnificent views of the Naerøyfjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, from the veranda. Return to your ship via the mountain descent known as the Stalheimskleiva. With its steep grade and 13 hairpin turns, this is not a trip for those who fear heights.

The one @janetcbl mentioned is also an option from Eidfjord on our upcoming "Homelands" itinerary.  Both are $259/pp.  We do not have the option of "Full-Day Railway Journey to Voss," in the quoted post, as the Viking Jupiter does not call at Flåm on our "Homelands" sailing.

Here's the description of the "Voss, Geilo, & Bergen Railway" from MVJ:  "Scenic Drive and Rail Journey Through Norway’s Stunning Landscape.  Begin your journey by deluxe motor coach, crossing over Norway’s longest suspension bridge and the Hardangerfjord.  Pass through the idyllic village of Ulvik, known for its fruit cultivation and agricultural school. Zigzag through mountainside orchards along hairpin roads on a lakeside drive to Skjervsfossen Waterfall. Stop to admire the scenery before descending into Voss, where you will board a train and continue your journey on the famous Bergen Railway. Admire the views as you climb the mountain pass to Geilo, where you will be served a delicious lunch. Continue by coach through the Hardangervidda mountain plateau, and begin your descent through the dramatic Måbødalen valley. Stop at the Fossli Hotel to admire the spectacular scenery of this valley shaped by glaciers and rivers. Head through the tunnels to Upper Eidfjord, past the blue-green lake and toward the head of the Hardangerfjord to your awaiting ship."

Unlike the Flåm excursion, this one is not showing as sold out for our 01 May sailing--which is now open for booking by all cabin categories.  So, it could be an option for you.  Or as @Peregrina651 noted, you can keep checking to see if anything opens up on MVJ or when you board.  (We booked ours when excursions opened up for the PV category last month.)

• Like 1

The one @janetcbl mentioned is also an option from Eidfjord on our upcoming "Homelands" itinerary.  Both are $259/pp.  We do not have the option of "Full-Day Railway Journey to Voss," in the quoted post, as the Viking Jupiter does not call at Flåm on our "Homelands" sailing.

Here's the description of the "Voss, Geilo, & Bergen Railway" from MVJ:  "Scenic Drive and Rail Journey Through Norway’s Stunning Landscape.  Begin your journey by deluxe motor coach, crossing over Norway’s longest suspension bridge and the Hardangerfjord.  Pass through the idyllic village of Ulvik, known for its fruit cultivation and agricultural school. Zigzag through mountainside orchards along hairpin roads on a lakeside drive to Skjervsfossen Waterfall. Stop to admire the scenery before descending into Voss, where you will board a train and continue your journey on the famous Bergen Railway. Admire the views as you climb the mountain pass to Geilo, where you will be served a delicious lunch. Continue by coach through the Hardangervidda mountain plateau, and begin your descent through the dramatic Måbødalen valley. Stop at the Fossli Hotel to admire the spectacular scenery of this valley shaped by glaciers and rivers. Head through the tunnels to Upper Eidfjord, past the blue-green lake and toward the head of the Hardangerfjord to your awaiting ship."

Unlike the Flåm excursion, this one is not showing as sold out for our 01 May sailing--which is now open for booking by all cabin categories.  So, it could be an option for you.  Or as @Peregrina651 noted, you can keep checking to see if anything opens up on MVJ or when you board.  (We booked ours when excursions opened up for the PV category last month.)

This is the one we did, except we had lunch in Voss instead of Geilo.

If you cannot get the included excursion, there is a small car rental place in Eidfjord.  It is approximately $250 for a car for the day.  That includes gas and insurance.   Here is the email.  booking@eidfjordautorent.no   It is off-season, so you may not get an answer immediately.  You can pick the car up early and drive to Flam (about 2 hours one way) to do a round trip on the train--Flam to Myrdal to Flam.  We have decided against doing the train.  We will go to the Voringfloss waterfall to hike. 

The train in Flam is amazing. We got off the ship early and bought tickets.  The train ticket booth is very close to the dock.  This is a very easy do it yourself ride. We rode up in an uncrowned car.  The later trains were packed with ship excursions.  

On our Homelands cruise last September we had a DV1 and all the Flam railroad excursions were sold out.  We ended up just walking over to the station and buying round trip tickets on our own.  I’m so glad we did but it was a risk.  We ended up getting delayed for over an hour in Myrdal waiting for a train so it’s passengers could join our train for the trip back.  It’s easy to do on your own and much cheaper, just give yourselves a good cushion of time so you don’t miss the ship.

The Norwegian Railway runs several trains daily on the line to Flam. In 2019, there were six daily round trip trains

When my wife and I took the pre-cruise Oslo extension, a number of people exited the Viking cars (two rear cars of the regular Oslo to Bergen morning train) for the Flam train, It was parked across the platform.  They were met by a bus down line somewhere and brought to the ship.

I understand some folks take the Flam train in both directions to appreciate the scenery

15 hours ago, Redtravel said:

The train in Flam is amazing. We got off the ship early and bought tickets.  The train ticket booth is very close to the dock.  This is a very easy do it yourself ride. We rode up in an uncrowned car.  The later trains were packed with ship excursions.  

Where did you dock?  It looks like sometimes it is Eidfjord and sometimes Flåm.  According to Google maps the two are 71 miles (114km) apart.  Would not want someone docking in Eidfjord expecting to find a ticket booth for the Flåm railway very close to the dock if that is not the case.  Please clarify.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 5:21 PM, Camden lady said:

It was a Viking excursion.  I will look and see if I can find the name of it.  We were on cruise from Bergen to Amsterdam " Viking Shores and Fjords . Meals on excursions are usually a waste of time IMO BUT this was a fantastic meal... great fish in a lovely hotel venue on the water!

Duration: 7 hours      

Marvel at Norway’s stunning beauty during a breathtaking full-day “Norway in a Nutshell” experience. You will board the world-famous Flåm Railway at the cruise pier and climb nearly 3,000 feet through 20 tunnels and over numerous bridges. Stop at Kjosfossen waterfall for photos of this pristine natural wonder. You will change trains and continue to Voss, where a motor coach takes you to the Molstertunet open air museum. Here, you will gain rich insight into 18th-century life in these high mountain valleys. Continue to Tvinde waterfall for a photo stop. Enjoy lunch at the famous Stalheim Hotel, with magnificent views of the Naerøyfjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, from the veranda. Return to your ship via the mountain descent known as the Stalheimskleiva. With its steep grade and 13 hairpin turns, this is not a trip for those who fear heights.

Edited by deec

2 hours ago, deec said:

It was a Viking excursion.  I will look and see if I can find the name of it.  We were on cruise from Bergen to Amsterdam " Viking Shores and Fjords . Meals on excursions are usually a waste of time IMO BUT this was a fantastic meal... great fish in a lovely hotel venue on the water!

Marvel at Norway’s stunning beauty during a breathtaking full-day “Norway in a Nutshell” experience. You will board the world-famous Flåm Railway at the cruise pier and climb nearly 3,000 feet through 20 tunnels and over numerous bridges. Stop at Kjosfossen waterfall for photos of this pristine natural wonder. You will change trains and continue to Voss, where a motor coach takes you to the Molstertunet open air museum. Here, you will gain rich insight into 18th-century life in these high mountain valleys. Continue to Tvinde waterfall for a photo stop. Enjoy lunch at the famous Stalheim Hotel, with magnificent views of the Naerøyfjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, from the veranda. Return to your ship via the mountain descent known as the Stalheimskleiva. With its steep grade and 13 hairpin turns, this is not a trip for those who fear heights.

I don’ know if this is still true, but the last I heard, the Stalheimskleiva road was closed due to heavy vehicular (buses?) use and the government was considering closing it permanently. Anyone know if this is still true?

9 hours ago, deec said:

Thank you so much. That sounds wonderful.  Glad I am not afraid of heights...hate roller coasters...not for the height but that drop. Not for me. Do you remember the cost for this excursion?  

3 hours ago, Camden lady said:

Thank you so much. That sounds wonderful.  Glad I am not afraid of heights...hate roller coasters...not for the height but that drop. Not for me. Do you remember the cost for this excursion?  

See my post above for this years excursion and price directly from My Viking Journey