Semi-Live Getaway Mar 18th to Mar 26th

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Nclgetawaymenhoney was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Greetings to all cruise lovers!

After all the recent live or semi-live reports I wanted to continue on with the recent tradition to try and give a little back to all the others over the years that have provided us so many interesting tips and news to provide everyone with a wonderful cruise experience!

This will be my 15 NCL cruise if you include the one from when I was 14 in the 80’s as a teenager going to the Western Caribbean.  This will be my DH’s 14 NCL cruise.  DH is retired US Navy submariner so when he was active duty we hardly ever cruised but once he retired after a few years he decided cruising could and is enjoyable.  Pre pandemic we were doing 2 cruises a year and I’m happy to report we resumed that tradition last year with the Joy in May of 2021 and the Breakaway in Oct of 2021.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

We have a bump out balcony aft, nice and convenient to elevators great location.  Anyone with any questions feel free to ask and if possible I’ll try and get you the answer.  I will investigate that possible leak that I’ve heard going on in the garden cafe that was reported.

Happy cruising to all!

• Like 1

YIPPEE!!!!

Headed onto the MSC Meraviglia in 8 hours, then we are on the countdown to the April 26th Getaway for our son's birthday long weekend "Getaway". 

Trip reports are just so amazing - keeps everyone excited and informed. 

Thank you for taking the time our of your vacation to enhance ours...Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, amygutman said:

YIPPEE!!!!

Headed onto the MSC Meraviglia in 8 hours, then we are on the countdown to the April 26th Getaway for our son's birthday long weekend "Getaway". 

Trip reports are just so amazing - keeps everyone excited and informed. 

Thank you for taking the time our of your vacation to enhance ours...Warmest, Amy

MSC is a line I would like to try someday, enjoy!

Laundry in the dryer and have a list of the errands we need to get before the cruise so packing and final planning are underway

Just checked inventory and everything with the exception of a few stray insides are sold out.

We will miss not being at 59% capacity on the Joy last May and 82% capacity on the Gateway last October but we’ve been on sold out sailings before we will have a great experience we always do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

MSC is a line I would like to try someday, enjoy!

We love the Haven and found the Yacht Club on MSC to be a similar product. Used to be heaps cheaper, but now rather similar in price. There are many pros and cons of both, and very ship-dependent. 
Right now, we only have a 50 minute drive from Orlando to the cruise port so spreading the wealth between any cruise line with that “ship within a ship” concept. Trying Star Class on RCCL April 2024 as well as many options out of PC. 
Our TA keeps his eyes out for bargains and gives us a heads up - definitely worth it!!! 
Have a wonderful trip and can’t wait to hear about the experience. 
Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

We are not scheduled to go to Bermuda that was canceled months ago, and they reduced our time in Port Canaveral about a month ago so hopefully no more itineraries changes but we just go with the flow.  We are 4-0 for going to stir cay so maybe our luck will continue.

This will be our third time on the Getaway, so we are very familiar with the layout and I find it is quite easy to get around.  We have 4 specialty meals, 3 booked the 4th one we will reserve once on the ship.  It’s been our tradition to have La Cucina the first night and Cagney the last night but we reversed it this time.  We also haven ocean blue booked, and we may just do Cagney again or moderno.  We used to like Le Bistro but not since they changed their menu, and we did the Japanese place last cruise.  We will try and see if we can get into the noodle restaurant once this time but since I’m only 4 ft 10 in I can’t sit comfortably on their high top tables but the do have a couple regular tables as well so we are going to see if their is any way they can accommodate us one evening with the regular tables.

• Like 1

Packing is all done early afternoon we will drive from coastal CT down to Ridgefield Park, NJ and stay at the Hampton Inn.  The have a cruise and park package which includes shuttle to and from Manhattan cruise terminal. It’s about the same price as parking at the pier for the 8 nights we just find it less stressful.  We have driven this drive 4 times and it just so depends on traffic and the way Siri routes you to avoid it, it’s taken anywhere between 3 to 5 hours.

• Like 1

Now that all the extra paperwork for COVID and testing to cruise is over we find that getting thru the lines at the cruise terminal fast and efficient and we always eat at Taste or Savor since it’s not a zoo like the buffet will be.  Not looking forward to the in person muster drills but again going with the flow.  The worst part of those drills is after the drill getting to where you want to be the elevators are just jammed up for awhile and I know our muster will be taste or savor.  When we had it in atrium we always just let the server know what to bring us to drink right after the drill, and we would just chill and let the hoard fight over the elevators.

6 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I was just off a 12-day sailing on her exactly a week ago today (ouch, a week already?) and I'm looking forward to jumping back onboard with you!  Let me know if you have any last minute questions about the ship.

Thanks for the offer we should be good to go, this will be third time on Gateway and we were just on Breakaway last fall.

I did want to thank you Pete for a great review though your pictures were lovely.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

... We used to like Le Bistro but not since they changed their menu, and we did the Japanese place last cruise.  We will try and see if we can get into the noodle restaurant once this time but since I’m only 4 ft 10 in I can’t sit comfortably on their high top tables but the do have a couple regular tables as well so we are going to see if their is any way they can accommodate us one evening with the regular tables.

Ditto, we stopped going to Le Bistro with the shortened new menu, and that was before the Covid shutdown.  I'm trying to visualize and recall from this January's GA cruise of ours ... of whether, they kept some of the tables & chairs at regular height vs. remodeling to the high top stools with that college dining hall/cafeteria style feel to it.  

There's about 5 or 6 stools at regular height directly in front of the open kitchen counter/food prep area, where we've sat recently ... you probably wanted to ask the hostess directly about those.  If they still have the regular tables & chairs, it would be in that area toward the "back" starboard side of the restaurant, against the wall and not by the bar and main corridor out front.  

Not all of the items served in Shanghai Noodles these days are good, the starters (multiples & extras) and the noodles soup are good - didn't care for the "fried" rice or noodles.  Lines started forming 30+ minutes before they open for sea day lunch and nightly for dinner service - I wish they restored some of the "original" items, no longer available ... 

Have a great cruise ahead, GA should be arriving back early in the morning -  she's tracking now just southeast off the coast of Ocean City, MD at 14 kts with a good tailwind, small white caps with seas under 2 meters - should be approaching DE/NJ waters by evening, well ahead of schedule compared to last week.   Happy sailing ! 

Mking8288, 

thanks for looking at track of the ship it’s good to know their will only be the regular craziness at the terminal I appreciate it.  The Breakaway last fall only had 2 regular tables at the back the rest were the high top, which just doesn’t work for short middle aged legs, if we aren’t able to eat their it’s no big deal but we shall see.

• Like 1

Yahoo finally the NCL app says days to go zero.  Really looking forward to a great cruise, nice weather, good food, fun cocktails and meeting new people.

Sailing out of New York is so much fun, going up to deck 16 and seeing the Statue of Liberty on a cruise is a great experience.

• Like 1

A hypothetical question.  Why do people book the same  ship multiple times?  Is it that you really like it or very convenient?  We were on the Breakaway twice only because the second time was the first NCL ship after the pandemic.  We also tried the Joy and the Getaway and to me they seemed like the same exact ship except for some shows and dining.  We like to try new experiences while sailing.

That being said I hope you have a wonderful trip and looking forward to your review.

9 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

A hypothetical question.  Why do people book the same  ship multiple times?  Is it that you really like it or very convenient?  We were on the Breakaway twice only because the second time was the first NCL ship after the pandemic.  We also tried the Joy and the Getaway and to me they seemed like the same exact ship except for some shows and dining.  We like to try new experiences while sailing.

That being said I hope you have a wonderful trip and looking forward to your review.

We’ve been on 15 the only one we don’t enjoy are the smaller ships.  Did the Dawn twice and it was fine but just not as much assorted activities for our personal taste.  Our favorite is  either the Bliss or the Escape more leaning towards the Escape since although the Bliss has observation lounge it does not have dueling pianos.  Oh also we enjoy the Epic because of the large spice H20.  Will probably try Prima next spring 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I am a very different type of passenger.  I do not care what the itinerary is.  Through  the years, I have met lots and lots of wonderful staff and have become friends with many of them.  Someone will send me a note and say "I will be on this ship from this date to this date.  Can you come?"  I have three cruises planned like that for this year.  If I make all of them, they will be cruises #38, #39 and #40.

• Like 1