Laundry Services

cfgrandma

I have looked everywhere but can’t find information on laundry services. We are going to Alaska on the Royal in June and want minimize the amount of clothes we take. I know there are guest washers and dryers available, but I am on vacation and don’t want to spend time doing our laundry.

Thank you.

Carolyn

Just be a little cautious when sending in delicate items for laundry. They can sometimes treat them a little rough & shrink some items that haven't been subjected to very hot dryers. 

In those situations I just wash out items in the sink & let them dry on their own in the cabin.

Also- take pictures of each item in case they lose them on rare occasions. (it doesn't happen to often)

56 minutes ago, GJCruiser said:

You can bag up your laundry and send it out. Takes 2-3 days. For non-Elite, it will cost you. By piece. When we send out our laundry, we find a bag costs about $40, if full and of mixed items.

I prefer to do my own and the turn around time is about an hour and a half instead of 2-3 days. 

Plus, it's done right.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Laundry is by the piece. T shirts one price, slacks another and so on. A typical bag of laundry with underwear, T shirts, PJs, pants is in the $50 range. There is a either same day or next day option which has a higher price. There are some restrictions when using the self service laundries in Alaska. Not exactly certain how it works. 

Our turnaround since the restart has been consistently “back tomorrow evening before dinner” if it goes out by 9 AM.  

here’s a reasonably current laundry slip - items on the right get pressed, items on the left are hung or folded without pressing, aside from cotton dress shirts. 

4A86A638-66AF-4D4B-BDD9-27C0246A1E53.jpe

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VibeGuy said:

Our turnaround since the restart has been consistently “back tomorrow evening before dinner” if it goes out by 9 AM.  

here’s a reasonably current laundry slip - items on the right get pressed, items on the left are hung or folded without pressing, aside from cotton dress shirts. 

4A86A638-66AF-4D4B-BDD9-27C0246A1E53.jpe

I found that some T shirts they returned from cleaning still had to be ironed. Not a big deal. At least they didn't shrink them.

The water on ships is highly treated with chlorine.  (You can taste the chlorine from the water on tap when drunken lukewarm.)  Not the best for your clothes because it causes fading.  Learned this the hard way when I had no choice but to make use of the laundry services on a 30 day cruise.  At least it was free because I was Elite.  Same I assume would go for the self serve laundry mat because the water source is the same.  My advise would be to bring clothes you wouldn't mind getting a little beat up, lighter colors instead of darker.

• Like 1

• Florida

4 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Expand  

I found that some T shirts they returned from cleaning still had to be ironed. Not a big deal. At least they didn't shrink them.

It must be the Sea Air!!  But after 3 or 4 days on the ship, ALL My clothes have shrunk -- Even the ones I didnt send to the laundry!!    It must just be one of the hazards of going to sea!

Edited by sirclean
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I prefer to do my own and the turn around time is about an hour and a half instead of 2-3 days. 

Plus, it's done right.  

Not only that, you can pack less.  You need extra clothes to cover the 3 days your others are out for laundering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sirclean said:
  • Florida

It must be the Sea Air!!  But after 3 or 4 days on the ship, ALL My clothes have shrunk -- Even the ones I didnt send to the laundry!!    It must just be one of the hazards of going to sea!

Give it time.   A few weeks after you get home they’ll stretch back out. 

Never fails.  

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Not only that, you can pack less.  You need extra clothes to cover the 3 days your others are out for laundering.

So true, especially when I sail the Caribbean.  I am not used to 'hot humid' weather, so I sweat.  I must change clothes 3 times a day!  If I sent everything out to laundry, I'd run out of clothes. So I do both, I use the ships self-serve laundry, at least 2 times a week, and I 'send out' items I don't plan on wearing again. 

Edited by melodyina

On 3/17/2023 at 12:24 PM, cfgrandma said:

Thank you. Are there per day or bag packages?

No package deals on Princess. You pay for each item individually and the per item prices are listed on the photo I posted. It’s much cheaper if you do your laundry yourself in the self-service laundromat.

DW will rarely (if ever) send anything out to the ship laundry...and she certainly is not going to do it self-serve!  So...she pays the price by having to bring *everything* she's going to wear!  Myself?  I plan on sending out to the ship's laundry.  Depending on length of cruise I may even do it more than once.  I have even done the self-serve bit on a couple of occasions, although that would only happen on something like a transatlantic with lots of sea days.  I just don't want to have to pack and lug around all of that weight!  (In my luggage that is! 😄)

12 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

No package deals on Princess. You pay for each item individually and the per item prices are listed on the photo I posted. It’s much cheaper if you do your laundry yourself in the self-service laundromat.

Do you know how much each load/cycle cost? 

I told my husband not to send in his things for cleaning last cruise as I didn't want to see his good shirts get ruined but that left me with a big load of shirts to do at home. Next time I'll have him bring mostly older shirts so I won't be so concerned. 

We probably have $400-$500 of laundry expense in a typical cruise, at listed prices, but since we book suites, and laundry is included, we figure that this is one of the most effective ways of getting our money's worth out of cost of a suite.  We even bring along some of our work clothes that need to be dry cleaned.  We wear them for formal nights and have the cruise line dry clean them afterward and they are all fresh, pressed and ready to go when we get back home.  We have never had any delays in getting our laundry back.  We have a bag ready to go in the morning for our steward, he grabs it while we are out at breakfast, and we get it back the next day.  On a couple of cruises we were seeing same day service, bag out the door in the morning, clean clothing back in our cabin some time while we were out to dinner.

The thought of doing laundry at a laundromat while on a cruise is not that desirable.  Reminds me too much of the time I spent doing laundry in college.  Plus people behave the same in a laundromat when they are in their 20s as when they are in their 50s, leaving wet clothing in washers unattended.  Not getting their clothing from the dryer when it is done.  There are a lot of people that use the laundries on board, but don't bother setting a timer on their watch or keeping track of time so they can come back and collect their clothing.

• Like 1