Carry-on luggage

cruzfiend

21 minutes ago, cruzfiend said:

I'm thinking of using a 22x14x9 suitcase for Alaska. This size does NOT include the wheels. Has anyone had an issue of this not fitting into the overheads of the airlines? Thanks.

Check the size regulations on your airline site.

• Like 1

Flight Attendants are not measuring bags when you come on to a plane.

They're watching to make sure bags end up in an overhead compartment quickly, smoothly, without agitating other passengers.  

Once they go through with final cross check and close all the overhead bin doors, that will be the end of that discussion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CapnCrews said:

They're watching to make sure bags end up in an overhead compartment quickly, smoothly, without agitating other passengers.  

Once they go through with final cross check and close all the overhead bin doors, that will be the end of that discussion.

Nothing to do with the crew. The ground staff will decide.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Nothing to do with the crew. The ground staff will decide.

Not always in every case...Delta will often let you *try* to get it into an overhead and if you're having trouble they will offer (insist?) that it be gate checked (free of charge.)  It all comes down to how "understanding" or "patient" that particular attendant is that day!

10 minutes ago, cruzfiend said:

Thank You, I did check regulations and the size is good except for the wheels. 

Some airlines are getting strict about carry-on size and will make you test the bag in one of their sizer rigs, either at the check-in counter or the gate. Those tester frames require you to insert the entire bag, including the wheels, so please be sure.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cruzfiend said:

Some airlines are super picky and some, not so much.  I’ve seen airlines make you fit your bag into a cage by the gate agent desk, if it doesn’t fit, you have to check it (and pay to check it).  
I really only take my larger carry on with airlines that allow it because it really is only a 22” bag but the wheels take it up to almost 24”.  
Most of the airline site specify their limits and include the verbiage “with wheels and handles” in those measurements.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapnCrews said:

I'm finding more and more airlines are in fact checking the dimensions of carry on luggage, but as you say this is usually not the flight attendants.  The FAs will sometimes police carry on bags if there is no more room on board for them; they will then be gate checked.

Edited by Yowman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CapnCrews said:

The ground staff deal with checked luggage.  Not carry ons.

Perhaps I should have said check in and gate staff. In the UK, and much of Europe they will measure your luggage, and if it doesn't fit the size criteria , you pay for it to go in the hold or it stays behind. The likes of Ryanair and easyjet will never delay departure to offload large hand luggage, even in the unlikely event that it gets on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps I should have said check in and gate staff. In the UK, and much of Europe they will measure your luggage, and if it doesn't fit the size criteria , you pay for it to go in the hold or it stays behind. The likes of Ryanair and easyjet will never delay departure to offload large hand luggage, even in the unlikely event that it gets on board.

Not just the UK. Here in Canada the check-in and gate agents (often the same folks, as once they check you in, they head to the gate to board you) are becoming increasingly tough on carry on size and will frequently force pax to shove their bags into the testing frame. I've been flagged a few times, though fortunately my carry-ons always pass the test. Oddly, our usual carrier, Air Canada, will check carry-on dimensions, but seem to have no formal weight limits for them. Checked bags are subject to very strict limits, but not carry-ons.

37 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Not just the UK. Here in Canada the check-in and gate agents (often the same folks, as once they check you in, they head to the gate to board you) are becoming increasingly tough on carry on size and will frequently force pax to shove their bags into the testing frame. I've been flagged a few times, though fortunately my carry-ons always pass the test. Oddly, our usual carrier, Air Canada, will check carry-on dimensions, but seem to have no formal weight limits for them. Checked bags are subject to very strict limits, but not carry-ons.

The only weight limit on cabin baggage on AC is that you have to be able to lift your own baggage into the overhead bins.  FAs will usually not help you.

Just now, Yowman said:

The only weight limit on cabin baggage on AC is that you have to be able to lift your own baggage into the overhead bins.  FAs will usually not help you.

I guess that was pretty obvious but thanks for correcting us.

6 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

No, it’s the gate agents who are checking out your bags.  I have gate checked many bags that were too large for the bins, or when the overhead bin space is full.  OP’s bag is too large; wheels are included in the bag’s measurements.  It will need to be checked.

And, we just had a flight take a ten minute delay because of the FAs failure to notify us of the bin situation.  All the bin doors were closed, but eight pax had their bags taken out to the jetbridge to be checked,  

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yowman said:

BA have limits on the size of cabin baggage, but the maximum weight is a massive 22kg (over 50lb). Try lifting that into an overhead locker !

On 3/21/2023 at 8:05 AM, cruzfiend said:

Those size requirements by the airlines INCLUDE wheels and handles.

Try again.  And yes, there are often weight restrictions as well as size.

And note, there is no one standard for carry-ons.  Different airlines have different size and weight limits.  And woe if you exceed those - for some carriers, you could be looking at a hefty cash penalty.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 1