A Cruise of Firsts to Bermuda 3/28 to 4/2 - Solo Live From Prima

Broons77

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Broons77 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Good Morning Cruisers!

I am now 2 days out from my next cruise adventure, and this is going to be a much different experience than any other as I'll be taking a solo cruise for the first time ever.  In addition, this will be my first time on Prima, my first time leaving from Manhattan Cruise Terminal, my first time in a solo cabin and my first time attempting a live thread.  I had tried doing one previously, but it was hit or miss.  So given that I only have myself to worry about this trip, I should have some time.to dedicate to it.

I'm a caregiver for my SO who is disabled, and about a month and a half ago I was able to clear out a few weeks of respite time.  Once those dates were nailed down, I started poking about and found a couple of trips that would work.  I chose this trip for several reasons, not the least of which was my fascination with the Prima since it's launch.  The setup for the solo cabin area I thought was really cool as well and I felt that 5 days for my first cruise on my own would be long enough as opposed to the 7 day trip for the same money (and was closer to home.)  So I screamed 'YOLO!' and booked it.

Not surprisingly, the few weeks leading up to this trip have been much less frantic than my prior cruises.  I was able to prebook a couple of shows on board and seems I was lucky to be able to do so.  Many on the Roll Call for this trip weren't so lucky and are concerned they'll get shut out.  Hopefully they can get things scheduled on board.  I was unable to book a meal for my dining credit, I'll have to see if I can get something on board.

At the moment, Prima is offloading pax from her last cruise out of Port Canaveral and will be heading to NYC later today with no one but crew on board.  Now that I think about it, this is another minor first for me - being on the first cruise after an empty repositioning.  All on the roll call are excited at the idea that cabins should be available right away.  This is excellent as I'll be carrying on my bags (solo perk - much less packing) and can get settled right away.

image.thumb.png.b35f3a6ded986bf01684c9d0e770179c.png

Today is filled with laundry and cleaning followed by a trip to moms for dinner before I leave.  Pretty sure she thinks I'm nuts for going on a cruise by myself.  Tomorrow will be the normal stuff most do the day before leaving - bank, drop off the dog, finish packing, aimlessly peruse the internet for last minute info and just generally wishing for bedtime so I can wake up and get on a boat.

Feel free to ask questions, this will be the first sailing to Bermuda from NYC this year and I'm sure many are chomping at the bit for info.  I'll be sure to post photos of the dailies along with anything else I deem interesting.  Will do my best to assist those with questions.

2 days!!!!  🛳️🛳️

• Like 17

I’ll be following along too. We sail on her in about a month. Enjoy your cruise! I was nervous about my first solo cruise as well but wound up meeting so many great people and had a wonderful time. Enjoy doing what you want when you want! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Will be following... and as fellow caregiver (short term for me), I wish you a wonderful and very well-deserved respite!

Thank you!  It's been a while since my last break, incredibly excited and grateful for this trip!

3 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I’ll be following along too. We sail on her in about a month. Enjoy your cruise! I was nervous about my first solo cruise as well but wound up meeting so many great people and had a wonderful time. Enjoy doing what you want when you want! 

Our roll call has been hopping recently with several solo cruisers and M&Gs have been planned.  So things seem to be trending in that same direction.  And oh, I have no words to describe how it feels to hear 'what you want, when you want'...  🦞🥩 🍹🍸 😴😴

• Like 4

Looking forward to hearing about your solo trip on Prima.  I will be doing the same in August (but for 11 days) so looking forward to your point of view.  Hope you enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time!!!

• Thanks 1

Following along.  Will be on the 7 day to Bermuda on the Prima in exactly 4 weeks.  Can't wait to read your thoughts and observations.

Have a terrific time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Solo cruising is the way to go! Make sure you go to the solo meet up the first night and you will find plenty of others to share meals with (if you want). Once on board, head to Hasuki to book your specialty dinner...you won't have any problem getting in. And as mentioned above, Indulge Food Hall is a great place to eat also.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I look forward to following along as I'm doing a solo to Bermuda in June. After 20 years as a Mom, the family vacation planner finally takes a VACATION. Ha! Finally, only one person to worry about on the ship. ME!  Hope you have a smooth embarkation and find time to take care of yourself - you deserve it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

1.  Lots of people will be shut out of the Donna Summer show.

2.  Indulge food hall—great place for food and great place to sit with others and make new friends.

That's a shame about the show, there's a fair amount of grumbling about that on the roll call.

The food hall is open for embark, yes?  My plan once on board is to drop off my bags, find the first available bar, head to indulge and do what the name tells me to do.

24 minutes ago, jcscv said:

Looking forward to hearing about your solo trip on Prima.  I will be doing the same in August (but for 11 days) so looking forward to your point of view.  Hope you enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time!!!

Thank you, I plan on it!

2 minutes ago, NengEuis said:

I look forward to following along as I'm doing a solo to Bermuda in June. After 20 years as a Mom, the family vacation planner finally takes a VACATION. Ha! Finally, only one person to worry about on the ship. ME!  Hope you have a smooth embarkation and find time to take care of yourself - you deserve it. 

Thanks!  I too am the vacation planner although to be honest, the control freak in me had no problem with it.  This time, there's no control freak to be found and it's been such a pleasantly different experience.  I wish you all the best on your trip in June!

• Like 1

Aaaaaaand she's off!!!!  On her way to NYC to whisk me and 3800 other weary souls off to a few days away from the grind,

One thing I hadn't considered before now.  As she's sailing empty this must be a welcome, albeit short, break for the crew.  At least giving them a day to catch their breath a bit with no crazy rush to get everything done right that second.

image.thumb.png.189ab7876cde26b864a5e5bb3af0b897.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

One thing I hadn't considered before now.  As she's sailing empty this must be a welcome, albeit short, break for the crew.  At least giving them a day to catch their breath a bit with no crazy rush to get everything done right that second.

And a great crew party tonight! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

At least giving them a day to catch their breath a bit with no crazy rush to get everything done right that second

Yeah, hopefully they do get a breather....especially with the NY/NJ cruising season ahead of them!

That said, I'm not sure where I read or heard it, but these short passenger-free jaunts on the ship is when they do crew training and other disruptive maintenance and repairs.

16 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

I find that Manhattan departures, sailing past the skyscrapers, near the Statue of Liberty and (just) under the Verrazano Bridge, are about the most interesting of any.

I've done Bayonne, but you miss the close views of the city so I'm really looking forward to sailaway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

Following along.  Will be on the 7 day to Bermuda on the Prima in exactly 4 weeks.  Can't wait to read your thoughts and observations.

Have a terrific time!

We’re on the came cruise… April 23-30

Aloha.  Looking forward to your reports and hopefully food pictures lol. I was born and raised in lower manhattan and watched the World Trade Center being built and then sadly 9/11. Lived  in Battery Park City from the late 1980s and now divide time between NY and Hawaii. Point is sailing from NY since the 1970s is so special and have done several solos too. Every cruise is magical but you will love leaving from Manhattan seeing the Statute of Liberty and sailing under the Bridge. Bermuda is great too especially the Fish chowder with their special malt sauce! It will be fabulous and I wish you a fabulous time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

just another affirmation here on the joys of solo cruising!  i do it more often than not and it's a great pleasure to do whatever you damn please whenever you damn please and not to have to wait for anybody. i'm in the planning stages of an 11 day prima solo cruise now.

you will indeed meet a lot of people... if you want to. some people enjoy solo cruising specifically because they like never having to talk to others!

regarding the donna summer show... i get that it's popular. but don't they do it twice a night and possibly on at least two nights? OK, maybe not two nights on a 5 day cruise. but with "noise boys" no longer being offered, i would have thought they might add an extra performance if 2X theatre capacity really can't accommodate all the ship's passengers clamoring to see it.

also, am i the only one who thinks of a "prima donna" when people talk about this show? 

what is that new NCL ship and that show they have?

prima... donna.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

regarding the donna summer show... i get that it's popular. but don't they do it twice a night and possibly on at least two nights? OK, maybe not two nights on a 5 day cruise. but with "noise boys" no longer being offered, i would have thought they might add an extra performance if 2X theatre capacity really can't accommodate all the ship's passengers clamoring to see it.

also, am i the only one who thinks of a "prima donna" when people talk about this show? 

prima... donna.

I'm on the cruise with Broons77, along with my daughter-in-law. We did get reservations for this show - didn't go for Price is Right, just not interested. If DH was with us (this is a girls' cruise), we probably wouldn't be seeing Donna either - he can't stand her music. I'm not really a fan, but since I've never sailed NCL I'd like to see what they offer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

prima... donna.

I thought there were shows two nights, two on one night and one on another but I'm probably mistaken.  I got a reservation for the late show on Wednesday night.  I'm normally not one that cares much if I miss a show while on board, but this seemed popular, it was late enough where it wouldn't screw up dinner plans and I'm not a huge disco fan, but Donna Summer was born and raised in Mission Hill in Boston, so of course I have an affinity for the local legends like her.

And thanks for the words, I'm really looking forward to everything about this trip!

• Like 1

On this cruise the Donna Summer musical is/was available on the 29th from 10 -11:35 and the 31st from 8 - 9:35. The 29th was originally starting at 9:30 but was changed to 10.

Edited by The P

image.png.45f306c5c117cd2cc9a88ebff28b6a46.png

Good morning and welcome to T minus 1 day.  Prima continues to make her way north, however a poster on the roll call thread has let it be known that there are some heavy seas out there so she's probably being tossed about a bit and we should expect the same once underway.  These are the chances you take booking an early spring cruise in this part of the world.  I'll look at this as a chance to see how this new Prima class hull design works.  It's supposed to smooth things out a bit, We'll see if this is the case.

Got a good bunch of errands done yesterday and most of my packing.  I have a few things left to take care of today, but things are falling into place.  Solo pre-cruise is such a different animal and I feel like I'm really about to take a true vacation for a change.

Off to get the truck inspected, try and get a new battery in my watch and pick up a couple last minute things today.  Tick tick tick....

• Like 3