MSC WORLD EUROPA REPO ABU Dhabi to Genoa on behalf of BEAMAFAR

sidari

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Bea, I also want to thank you for this wonderful travel log. It really feels like we are “onboard” with you.

Cheers, phissy - appreciate you following along - as I do with everyone who does.  Makes it worthwhile (otherwise I’m really just talking to myself 😆). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

It’s buttergate time again, folks.  

You've woken up a memory, on the dearly missed Marco Polo (back when Orient Lines existed as part of NCL) doing Antarctica & Chilean fjords.

We were sharing a table of six with a couple from Australia & another from USA. Ourselves & the Ausies were bemoaning the tasteless butter being served, so when we found Kerrygold in a supermarket in Chile we bought it & brought it to dinner that night.

It went down a treat so much that our waiter put it in the fridge for us & had it on the table every night until we ran out.

Can't imagine anything like that happening now. 

• Like 2

Trying to catch up on the updates but only have limited connectivity this cruise.

Main items to report, we're on the old drinks menu and a champagne of some description is included. So far received our correct diamond treats and we have butter 😀

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Drumroll, please ……

paid a total of €1.15 for my Skyfall (which I’m beginning to take a liking to 😁)

B3B20688-5275-4F2D-BCBE-67F78B314CA8.jpeg.2345f6f7ec2ed7b5ebf58f2c7d05631f.jpeg

Hi - I too am enjoying following you along.  I am on Musica next month with my daughter and trying to work out if a drinks package will be worthwhile for us.   When purchasing drinks without having a package is a 15% service charge added?  I can’t seem to get a clear answer on this and hope you can help.

Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.  

21 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Drumroll, please ……

paid a total of €1.15 for my Skyfall (which I’m beginning to take a liking to 😁)

B3B20688-5275-4F2D-BCBE-67F78B314CA8.jpeg.2345f6f7ec2ed7b5ebf58f2c7d05631f.jpeg

Great news!  It was posted on another thread that Champagne is an exception to this rule (so you have to pay full price for champagne).   I wonder if this happens for those on the easy packet?

image.png.9913d7e7cb1ab015b56470c7768baae8.png

4 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Hi - I too am enjoying following you along.  I am on Musica next month with my daughter and trying to work out if a drinks package will be worthwhile for us.   When purchasing drinks without having a package is a 15% service charge added?  I can’t seem to get a clear answer on this and hope you can help.

Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.  

Thanks for following.  We’re doing Musica in October;  it’s a great class of ship. 

I can confirm that the service charge is 15%, though I have read, for US sailings, that has been/will be increased to 18%.  Can’t fathom why MSC would want to complicate matters.  Oh, wait …..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Belgian cruiser1 said:

Hello Bea. We are booked on this ship this June when it sails from Marseille. We too are in an Aurea Infinity cabin. Did I miss anything about it on this thread, but I thought Aurea guests had their own restaurant on deck 8 - called Les Dunes ?

Hi BC.  Les Dunes is for Aurea suite guests and Bubbles has an area for us lesser mortals with Aurea Experience booked. 

Hope you like your Infinity cabin.  We absolutely love it and would book it on every ship if we could (when not booked in YC). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 8420PR said:

Great news!  It was posted on another thread that Champagne is an exception to this rule (so you have to pay full price for champagne).   I wonder if this happens for those on the easy packet. 

I haven’t sussed out the champagne situation yet.  I’ll see what they say in Fizz next time I’m there and report back. 

4 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Trying to catch up on the updates but only have limited connectivity this cruise.

Main items to report, we're on the old drinks menu and a champagne of some description is included. So far received our correct diamond treats and we have butter 😀

Hope you have a fab cruise, Foxy. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, the wandering two said:

You've woken up a memory, on the dearly missed Marco Polo (back when Orient Lines existed as part of NCL) doing Antarctica & Chilean fjords.

We were sharing a table of six with a couple from Australia & another from USA. Ourselves & the Ausies were bemoaning the tasteless butter being served, so when we found Kerrygold in a supermarket in Chile we bought it & brought it to dinner that night.

It went down a treat so much that our waiter put it in the fridge for us & had it on the table every night until we ran out.

Can't imagine anything like that happening now. 

Great to hear they have Kerrygold in Chile.  Unlike Guinness, it travels really well (though we’re not too happy that  so much of it - Kerrygold, that is - gets shipped abroad. Less for us at home. 😂.  As for Guinness - they can ship as much of that as they like.  🤣🤣)

Edited by Beamafar
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thanks for following.  We’re doing Musica in October;  it’s a great class of ship. 

I can confirm that the service charge is 15%, though I have read, for US sailings, that has been/will be increased to 18%.  Can’t fathom why MSC would want to complicate matters.  Oh, wait …..

Absolutely agree, Bea!... If only MSC was able to think globally and they'd be the "de facto" world leader cruise line for years and years ago!... One thing is the challenge to have some ships running on USD where that is the main currency while other ships would to work on EUR where that's applicable. Another entire thing is to have different rules for different areas! MSC is truly unique on this one!... Paradoxically; other than the WE; MSC's ships identity is mostly the same across the fleet!... It will be nice to see how WE works for the European sailings, especially come winter when some areas will perhaps to be a challenge due to incremental weather...

Meanwhile regarding other of your posts: Yeah; those "infinite" cabins seem to be a great concept perhaps done right by MSC. I'd like to have one of those for myself especially on such a low season like cruise!... But a Fantastica level perfectly suits me. No value added on the Aurea overcharge, JIMHO!

Have a wonderful Easter!...

Totally agree on the Aurea fares - those who like the extra space that the suites offer and are happy to pay for it, fair enough.  Personally, they just don’t appeal.   I’ve plenty of space at home;  I don’t feel the need to rent a large space on vacation. 

• Like 3

To follow up on the drinks package situation while we were delayed in Jeddah; MSC gave a non-refundable OBC of €40 to everyone with PremXtra; €20 for EasyPlus and €10 for Easy.  How they came to those figures, I’ve no idea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2023 at 9:08 PM, Beamafar said:

👍

So, tonight was ‘Tropical’ night.  I don’t remember it being a theme, before, but there were quite a few in colourful garb,

We went to Guest Services to ask if we would receive a rebate for today’s unused portion of the Premium drinks package due to being stuck in this … place.  Just received the following in our cabin

A3BB9003-C4FE-4A64-A922-0C8EE1D78C94.thumb.jpeg.9af53cc1e5d5b578d0532b062c8485cf.jpeg

I’ve checked our onboard account and we have, indeed, received €80 OBC. 

Not sure how I could not quote your whole post but WOW! you got a refund for that Saudi day. We had TWO on Splendida in December. Like you we organised ourselves prior to getting into Saudi waters and toasted them off out balcony watching that self same tower in Jeddah. Felt a bit like naughty kids but hey-ho. Those were the worst ports ever.

Enjoying your posts Bea.

• Thanks 1

I didn't like the Infinity balconies when I was on Celebrity Edge, but that was - in part - because I compared them to normal balcony cabins, which cost about the same price on Edge or Apex. On the MSC World Europa I had initially stumbled upon this type of cabin because (partly because of the price) I thought they were ocean views with a full length/height window - similar to cabins on some of the larger Oceania ships. If MSC were to sell these at the same price as a normal balcony, I would've gone for the classic balcony ... but at this reduced price and with the extra interior space, I'm not regretting my choice (so far 😇

1 minute ago, Belgian cruiser1 said:

I didn't like the Infinity balconies when I was on Celebrity Edge, but that was - in part - because I compared them to normal balcony cabins, which cost about the same price on Edge or Apex. On the MSC World Europa I had initially stumbled upon this type of cabin because (partly because of the price) I thought they were ocean views with a full length/height window - similar to cabins on some of the larger Oceania ships. If MSC were to sell these at the same price as a normal balcony, I would've gone for the classic balcony ... but at this reduced price and with the extra interior space, I'm not regretting my choice (so far 😇

I’m so glad that MSC didn’t try to create a balcony-like area the way Celebrity did.  The cabin is nice and roomy as a result. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alicat58 said:

Not sure how I could not quote your whole post but WOW! you got a refund for that Saudi day. We had TWO on Splendida in December. Like you we organised ourselves prior to getting into Saudi waters and toasted them off out balcony watching that self same tower in Jeddah. Felt a bit like naughty kids but hey-ho. Those were the worst ports ever.

Enjoying your posts Bea.

Thanks, A - appreciate it. 

It did feel just a little naughty  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Thanks for your prompt reply.  It will be my first time on MSC but have cruised with many other lines.   Looks like the drinks passage is a no brainier though!  

10 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Thanks for your prompt reply.  It will be my first time on MSC but have cruised with many other lines.   Looks like the drinks passage is a no brainier though!  

I’ve always thought so.  No need to have to keep checking your account onboard or watch your spending.  Once you’re comfortable with the overall cost and it suits your budget, it’s great. During the day Mr B has his cappuccinos and Americanos, I have the bottled juices and water;  that’s before any wine and beer at meals, then drinks in the bars in the evenings.  I reckon we get more than our money’s worth. 

Also, despite the fact that the package prices are increasing, they’re still cheaper than on other lines. 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2

Decided to have a champagne aperitif in Fizz this afternoon.  Passed the Raj Polo tea house where, it seems, there are a number of people enjoying the high tea experience. 

Must be quite chilly/windy out; the outdoor area of Fizz is deserted 

EC493F02-4704-4910-A744-9AC290E08E79.thumb.jpeg.193e47463254934c5409aa523561e847.jpeg

It’s surprisingly busy in the venue (5.40pm). 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Haha 1

Again, for research purposes, we ordered a glass outside of our package - Moët.  The server (who doesn’t normally work at this venue, but was drafted in to help out) originally said that the upcharge would be €3.45 - fine

AD677D2B-0A93-43BE-B4B9-A0B116F1827F.thumb.jpeg.4f41db4f785130c20109a7cdb9288fa7.jpeg

However, she returned shortly after to inform us that you cannot pay the difference on drinks here. 

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Again, for research purposes, we ordered a glass outside of our package - Moët.  The server (who doesn’t normally work at this venue, but was drafted in to help out) originally said that the upcharge would be €3.45 - fine

AD677D2B-0A93-43BE-B4B9-A0B116F1827F.thumb.jpeg.4f41db4f785130c20109a7cdb9288fa7.jpeg

However, she returned shortly after to inform us that you cannot pay the difference on drinks here. 

Yet more MSC stupidity.

• Like 2