Minors losing their Diamond status…

On the Anthem currently.

My daughter was Diamond like I was while she cruised with me as a minor. She is now over 18…25 years old. When we boarded, her card said Diamond. She got a call today in her cabin from the Loyalty Ambassador on the Anthem informing her she can no longer hold Diamond status as she doesn’t have enough points for that on her own. She informed her she will be “demoted” after this cruise is over. 😔

This happened to both of my daughters as well. When you are a minor, by default, you are the status of your parents. However, once you turn 18 years old, you are your actual status (based on how many points you have accumulated). Now this took place over eight years ago for both of my daughters.

The only surprising part of your post, is the fact that she was able to be Diamond on the current cruise...

• Like 7

More background info. 

Before we left, I called C&A to have my D+ gift changed to the new toiletry bag. While I had them on the phone my daughter asked to change her Diamond drink to a coke. The C&A rep stated she was switching my daughter’s as she did not have enough points on her own to be  Diamond. I told her that has never been the way it works, you don’t continue to move up once you are 18 but you never “loose” your status. I asked to speak with a supervisor. After being on hold for 15 min, the rep came back on and apologized saying she spoke with a supervisor and I was correct, she keeps her status but her points revert back..I knew that. 

After she came to me today telling me she got this phone call from Whitney the LA, I went to speak with Cecelia who called Whitney. Whitney told Cecelia she had a call in to C&A corporate and she will inform me of the outcome in a few days. She said for this cruise she can keep her Diamond status. 

This is the first I’ve EVER heard of this happening. 

• Like 2

I’ve been reading of others who have experienced the same.  I guess they are changing the rules, midstream.  Definitely a change.  IMO they should grandfather those already in the program and start this “reversion” business with new C&A members.

• Like 10

This all sounds like a mix-up to me. It isn’t logical. I can have my partner who is obviously over 18 grandfathered with my status. Is that just good for one cruise? Doesn’t make sense. They should have to accumulate their own points to advance but once grand fathered they shouldn’t lose status. That is how it has always worked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nolimits said:

I believe someone is making a mistake,

Gowenricks  definitely not the way it worked 8 yrs ago 

When over 18 you keep status but your own points. D you can’t advance to D+ till your nts catch up 

I totally understand the sentiment. However, both of my children were reassigned as Emerald. 

If they do start demoting people rather than just the previous requirement for the full number of nights needed to advance status that is a bad choice on their part. It sounds like along with some of the other recent decisions that they have hired some new consultants who were tasked with finding ways to annoy or disappoint as many customers as possible. Hopefully this is just someone not understanding the rules properly and will be corrected. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

More background info. 

Before we left, I called C&A to have my D+ gift changed to the new toiletry bag. While I had them on the phone my daughter asked to change her Diamond drink to a coke. The C&A rep stated she was switching my daughter’s as she did not have enough points on her own to be  Diamond. I told her that has never been the way it works, you don’t continue to move up once you are 18 but you never “loose” your status. I asked to speak with a supervisor. After being on hold for 15 min, the rep came back on and apologized saying she spoke with a supervisor and I was correct, she keeps her status but her points revert back..I knew that. 

After she came to me today telling me she got this phone call from Whitney the LA, I went to speak with Cecelia who called Whitney. Whitney told Cecelia she had a call in to C&A corporate and she will inform me of the outcome in a few days. She said for this cruise she can keep her Diamond status. 

This is the first I’ve EVER heard of this happening. 

My guess is that it is simply a relatively new LA who is not up to speed on the policies.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Cruise>Work said:

Hopefully this is just someone not understanding the rules properly and will be corrected. 

Or, C&A actually changed the rules and this is how we are finding out. 

There was never an announcement that someone sailing solo after no show second person wouldn't get extra points till folks started reporting it.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Or, C&A actually changed the rules and this is how we are finding out. 

There was never an announcement that someone sailing solo after no show second person wouldn't get extra points till folks started reporting it.

Looks like they changed the C&A benefits a few weeks ago. The timing works.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My guess is that it is simply a relatively new LA who is not up to speed on the policies.

I would agree…except it happened on the phone with C&A before left, too…it’s just too coincidental. But I do hope it’s just new people who do not know the rules. I’d hate to see her loose her Diamond status she’s had for 6 years since turning 18, that would really suck. Next they’ll be taking the status from spouses, too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rrraydon said:

I would agree…except it happened on the phone with C&A before left, too…it’s just too coincidental. But I do hope it’s just new people who do not know the rules. I’d hate to see her loose her Diamond status she’s had for 6 years since turning 18, that would really suck. Next they’ll be taking the status from spouses, too. 

I don’t see why they would treat them differently.

1 minute ago, Denversail said:

Looks like they changed the C&A benefits a few weeks ago. The timing works.

It makes no sense for even for an ignorant LA to come up with this rule - they obviously know kids under 18 get their parent's status. Why would an LA bother looking through some 25 year old D's C&A points record and go out of their way to call about a demotion?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

New people.  As you saw when you called it was easily corrected by a supervisor.

• Like 2

This is the most bizarre thing to happen I’ve heard in a while.

That being said, given all the cutbacks lately, and the fact that pretty much everyone on CC has been harping on the unsustainability of the C&A for sometime as the only way to cull the members is literally through death, I would not doubt this maybe the first step toward them making it harder to keep your C&A status.  It already amazes me there isn’t some type of you need to cruise once every X years to maintain status or something, like any other travel status program.

I sincerely hope not, and doubt they changed the rules, but I could see a consultant coming in and being like “Why are you letting kids keep their status when they turn 18?!?  This makes no sense, you should cut that And make them earn it.”

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As you saw when you called it was easily corrected by a supervisor.

Not sure a supervisor acquiescing to a customer is the best indicator of a policy.

Biker, who also got some supervisor to approve extra points for sailing solo after the no show rules changed.

• Like 1

IMO, those that get their tier level from a parent, spouse or living together and are no longer with that higher tier level person then their CAS tier level should be adjusted to their actual CAS cruise points. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, davekathy said:

IMO, those that get their tier level from a parent, spouse or living together and are no longer with that higher tier level person then their CAS tier level should be adjusted to their actual CAS cruise points. 

DD was told, if she and her boyfriend break up, she can have his matching status revoked...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1