Dogs on the ship

Travelingwithstyle

1 hour ago, Moonlion said:

Another genuine question for those in the know: is there a licensing agency in the US or elsewhere that certifies that a dog has received the necessary training and is a "registered service animal," and ideally a way that establishments can verify (e.g., a QR code or something)?

I ask because we know a couple with a pet dog (which I know for a fact is not a trained service animal) who were able to purchase a vest and certificates claiming the dog is a service animal.  They use it so the dog can go to restaurants or stay in hotels with them.  I'm guessing the restaurants and hotels have to accommodate this couple's pet if there isn't some real certification or licensing available for them to verify. 

I know people who do this all the time.  They also used the ruse to get their dog on an airplane.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rudi-Cruiser said:

People must remember that the Americans, ADA law is a civil rights law. I believe that all cruise lines that their corporations are US based adhere to the ADA law. These cruise corporations can be sued for damages under the ADA law. Getting sued under the ADA law just give a corporation a blackeye. I strongly dislike people who turn a regular dog into a fake service dog without a minuscule amount of training for a public accommodation. We do have a problem in the US with fake service dogs. They do get found out and are shame. Once you’re on the cruise ship, and there’s a service dog, probably a big service dog that’s acting up then I feel the captain of the ship can ask the passengers and the dog to disembark at the first port.
I wish the cruise lines would have a kennel on board so those passengers with a service dog could check the dog into the kennel for short period of time. Like when they go to dinner or some other event on the ship. Only the queen Mary has a kennel on board and has used only on its transatlantic New York to Southampton. 

If a service dog is needed, if it is not near the person it is of no use, other than necessary time off duty, but then I would expect their person to be supervising as they are in an unfamiliar environment. A genuine service dog is well trained enough to behave if left in a room for a couple of hours for some reason. 

I am not aware of problems with fake service dogs in Europe, where they are usually identified by tabards or tags stating what type of assistance dog they are

2 hours ago, Moonlion said:

Another genuine question for those in the know: is there a licensing agency in the US or elsewhere that certifies that a dog has received the necessary training and is a "registered service animal," and ideally a way that establishments can verify (e.g., a QR code or something)?

I ask because we know a couple with a pet dog (which I know for a fact is not a trained service animal) who were able to purchase a vest and certificates claiming the dog is a service animal.  They use it so the dog can go to restaurants or stay in hotels with them.  I'm guessing the restaurants and hotels have to accommodate this couple's pet if there isn't some real certification or licensing available for them to verify. 

Unfortunately not. Having had a service dog, I wished there was a certification process to weed out those with fake service dogs. Our dog had frequent vet check ups and all shots were current. With certification those things could be checked to keep certification current. Our dog had certification through the service dog training organization, but there are a lot of people who do not have their dogs professionally trained, and therefore there are no guidelines being followed at all. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I know people who do this all the time.  They also used the ruse to get their dog on an airplane.

I think you need to talk to Viking Cruise lines and find out what there policy is. I see its your favorite cruise line. Maybe a stern letter from you to their management about service dog would be in order for you. I also see you live in in Porto Rico that is a territory of the USA and the USA Americans with Disability Act does apply to Porto Rico. Doesn't Porto Rico have people with service dogs?

8 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Unfortunately not. Having had a service dog, I wished there was a certification process to weed out those with fake service dogs. Our dog had frequent vet check ups and all shots were current. With certification those things could be checked to keep certification current. Our dog had certification through the service dog training organization, but there are a lot of people who do not have their dogs professionally trained, and therefore there are no guidelines being followed at all. 

Its not easy to find a trained service dog in the USA. I have talked to several people who are trying to find a way to get one. Is the kids who need those special service dogs who can help a kid with diabetics, seizure and other hidden medical complication that service dogs can be trained to detect and alert the child or a parent. The other great need is service dogs that are use to help with PTSD and alike.

A lot of the organization and training facilities that specialize in training service dog are not certified buy any particular organization. The trainers who help my service dog maybe be a member of a organization or have training credential. Two of the trainer that worked with my dog got there training in the military. The person who trained my service dog for the diabetic alert was a retired dog trainer for the government. His specialty was just what I needed, scent training. He was very good as he had trained dog for the government to recognize a certain scent and mark and alert. He taught  my service dog to alert me by licking my face or pawing my body. My service dog did that about a week ago when my blood sugar when down in a low range that she was taught to alert me.

I hadn’t seen this topic previously but it was brought to my attention by the recent activity. I love dogs but would definitely not be expecting to see one on a cruise. Should other passengers be made aware that there might be a dog on their particular cruise (in whatever capacity) so they can make a decision to reschedule if it wasn’t something they were comfortable with? As a side note, I mentioned this thread to my husband and he said “Well there’s unlikely to be one on our next cruise as it’s transatlantic “ but I notice that the cruise that prompted this thread was also TA. Getting off the ship with an animal in multiple countries must be an administrative nightmare to organise! 

Edited by JollyJacqTar
Missed out some words in my haste to post

5 hours ago, JollyJacqTar said:

I hadn’t seen this topic previously but it was brought to my attention by the recent activity. I love dogs but would definitely not be expecting to see one on a cruise. Should other passengers be made aware that there might be a dog on their particular cruise (in whatever capacity) so they can make a decision to reschedule if it wasn’t something they were comfortable with? As a side note, I mentioned this thread to my husband and he said “Well there’s unlikely to be one on our next cruise as it’s transatlantic “ but I notice that the cruise that prompted this thread was also TA. Getting off the ship with an animal in multiple countries must be an administrative nightmare to organise! 

I have a transatlantic cruise coming up. I have a service dog and she will be accompanying me. I found out that there will be another service dog on the ship. There is a service dog that has sailed sixty days at sea on Holland American Line.The ship will be making port stops in the EU and UK before heading across the Atlantic. I am on top of all the paper work that is needed for the different port call. I have a vet that will be filling all the proper document health and shot record. The cruise line has been great with any help I need. My service dog gives me the ability to travel solo with my disability.  I 2023 it does take a bit to make sure you have all the paper work you need to travel with one. This goes for the airlines, the cruise line and any entry permit you need for your service dog.

Please check out the blog on CruiseCritic - Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

In regard to emotional support dogs:

Today in Pittsburgh a woman was turned away at airline ticketing because she did not have a proper carrier for her "emotional support" bulldog. 

She only had him in a child's stroller.

So she abandoned him in another part of the airport and boarded the plane later.

Obviously, she did not need him for support and was callous enough to abandon him.

After the dog was found, luckily, the agent identified her.

She is to be prosecuted for animal abandonment (which she will probably get out of ) but not for lying about his being needed for emotional support. (i.e. attempt to defraud the airline)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A guy visiting his sister in our midwest city decided to adopt a dog and bring it with him home on the plance. He did not have a carrier for it - so he left. He returned later without the dog. He had tied it up outside the terminal.... sick people!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

Today in Pittsburgh a woman was turned away at airline ticketing because she did not have a proper carrier for her "emotional support" bulldog. 

So she abandoned him in another part of the airport and boarded the plane later.

Obviously, she did not need him for support and was callous enough to abandon him.

She is to be prosecuted for animal abandonment (which she will probably get out of ) but not for lying about his being needed for emotional support. (i.e. attempt to defraud the airline)

She had emotional problems.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Murt22 said:

A guy visiting his sister in our midwest city decided to adopt a dog and bring it with him home on the plance. He did not have a carrier for it - so he left. He returned later without the dog. He had tied it up outside the terminal.... sick people!

16 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

Is walking the plank still a thing? Flogging round the fleet and Keelhauling now being illegal

8 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Hanging from the yardarm has been suggested as a compromise

Sadly, we can't use any of those attitude readjustment techniques, but one of my favourites is still acceptable. Provide some refreshments the previous evening, so next day they have a raging hangover.

Issue them with a chipping hammer and send them into the Chain Locker, which is a small enclosed steel locker for storing the anchor chain. Even better when it's hot and humid. Pounding on steel in an enclosed space with a hangover isn't fun.😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

About to board Venus on Saturday and wondered if there was any more news about dogs on board.  

I have it on good authority that the unruly, non house trained Andyhound is not, repeat not onboard so you should be safe...🍺  As to lesser breeds of "emotional support" beasts no news is good news.  Have a great voyage...🍸

• Like 3
  • Haha 3