6 weeks into new PLUS/PREMIER- Reviews Please

FrankieJayIII

On 4/8/2023 at 12:29 AM, FrankieJayIII said:

It's been 6 weeks since the new plus and premier packages have been released and there are cruisers who have had experiences with Plus VS. Premier...

Including differences.   Account charges at the end... etc.

What are your thoughts now that you have had a chance to EXPERIENCE the levels of service?

We have done Plus a couple of times, haven't tried Premier. We've also cruised the standard level. I might have a different outlook than many. I kind of like the 3 different levels. The basic level (standard) is my favourite. I don't drink a whole lot and so I can save significant money typically by buying my one or two drinks a day. Occasionally the Plus price is low enough for me to jump to that level but our next two cruises are at the standard level. So I really like the three options. Works well for me.

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 2

For those of you who have returned and had the package Plus or Premier.  Prior to sailing did the packages show up in your Medallion area under Ocean Ready than the area that says Folio, Packages and prizes?  I booked the premier package and when I click on packages my app says I do not have any packages listed.  This is where I thought my premier package would be listed.  For prizes I thought the premier package lists princess prizes with your door unlocking?

Just wondering if I need to call Princess or my travel agent.  I would rather settle an issue before my cruise.

Thanks for starting this thread and the comments are great!

On 4/8/2023 at 9:22 PM, DUCHESSRN said:

I saw some of the deserts on Discover ,we do not get the Plus as I am Insulin Dependant Diabetic . 
The poor server at the gelato bar was taking several minutes to make each desert , each one had 2 huge lollipops sticking out of the top . 
I did get the Old Soda package that no longer exists .

Curious if those 2 huge lollipops were wrapped in celophane, or are they just getting all sticky? If wrapped, maybe salvageable for later?

2 hours ago, xamsx said:

Does Princess offer a way to upgrade to faster internet?

Nope. YMMV depending on the ship.  I feel like I've had better internet experiences on past cruises but I had higher expectations with Discovery being the newest ship in the fleet. One would think that would yield the latest & greatest but it was not the case.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, world_traveler_et said:

For those of you who have returned and had the package Plus or Premier.  Prior to sailing did the packages show up in your Medallion area under Ocean Ready than the area that says Folio, Packages and prizes?  I booked the premier package and when I click on packages my app says I do not have any packages listed.  This is where I thought my premier package would be listed.  For prizes I thought the premier package lists princess prizes with your door unlocking?

Just wondering if I need to call Princess or my travel agent.  I would rather settle an issue before my cruise.

I don't think so...I think the best place to see it was in the travel summary that you access alongside luggage tags on the website.

1 hour ago, world_traveler_et said:

We sail in June and have paid final balance.....our package details are listed on the app.
When do you sail?

I have gone on 2 cruises this year and had the Premier both times.

The first cruise was in January and it did not have the fitness classes, juice bar or premium desserts yet.  It did, however, have the Princess Prizes up and running.  On that cruise we won 3 $25 OBC prizes and at least one drawing entry every day for the end of the cruise drawing. Second cruise, I didn't win a single thing, not even a drawing entry, so that was rather disappointing.

On second cruise, I took my 8 and 12 year old sons for their Spring Break.  We really enjoyed the Desserts, no we didn't always finish them, but they were delicious and both of my boys got one each day.

I'm looking forward to trying the desserts offered on different ships, as I've seen some FB posts showing cakes and different gelatos as part of the packages.

Wifi was never amazing, but it's internet in the middle of the ocean, and I wasn't on a ship to stream Netflix....

Drinks were good for me, but I'm a simple person, my go to during the day is Belvedere and Red Bull, and in the evening it's lemon drops, so I never had any issues there.

I never used the reserved seating in the Theater, but it was neat having it there.

Loved being able to share my Specialty dining with others in the cabin! 

Photos were my number 1 reason for getting the Premier!  Got all the digital photos and 3 prints for each Premier cruiser.  Absolutely my favorite perk.  Got some sweet shots and one night went and got my martini and took some cheeky shots as well.  Kids got some good pictures and that worked out great.

I likely will go premier each cruise as I enjoyed the luxury of it all.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, spyro1952 said:

Does anyone know of you can upgrade from plus to premier on embarkation day on board?  Leaving Sunday on Regal TA.

Yes, I saw the option on my cruise on Ruby last month to upgrade on board.

36 minutes ago, BarBug said:

Curious if those 2 huge lollipops were wrapped in celophane, or are they just getting all sticky? If wrapped, maybe salvageable for later?

I cannot remember sorry .I saw a picture of the deserts on Facebook last week ,a choice of 6 different ones I think.

1 hour ago, world_traveler_et said:

Your phone may be out of date for parts of the app. On my iPhone 7 it shows no plan but if I log on to my account on my wife’s iPhone 14 it shows the plus plan. Going to go to apple store tomorrow time to upgrade

50 minutes ago, BarBug said:

They were not wrapped on my recent cruise on Discovery.  My daughter was actually more interested in those lollipops than the gelato. 😆 

1 hour ago, Crookshanks said:

Yes, I saw the option on my cruise on Ruby last month to upgrade on board.

Great Thanks.  I think I also read here on cc don’t use any part of the plus package until you actually upgrade.  So I guess the first thing I’ll do is upgrade and another thing I think I has read was to do it at Pax services.  
Just an fyi for anyone reading this thread 

2 hours ago, lvcruiser`12 said:

world_traveler_et  I sail this Sunday and under packages on the app it shows Plus Beverage, single device wifi, fitness classes, desserts, crew appreciation & medallion shipping.  

Have a great trip!  mine just says "you currently do not have any packages.  To learn more visit guest services"

I booked through a travel agent (which we can't name but has three similar letters at the beginning of the alphabet).  I said I wanted the premier package.  When it did not show up in the app wanted to bill me for shipping it made me wonder what was going on with my booking. 

I than went to my cruise personalizer.  All the premier items are listed as a gift by said agency.  None of theses are gifts.  It was the same price I got online when I did a sample booking selecting the premier package. 

I went over to the office this afternoon.  The agent emailed with Princess and said they can see it on their end.  I do not want to spend the first day of my cruise in a line trying to prove I paid for the premier package.  Or, having to run back and get a credit.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Edited by world_traveler_et
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Your phone may be out of date for parts of the app. On my iPhone 7 it shows no plan but if I log on to my account on my wife’s iPhone 14 it shows the plus plan. Going to go to apple store tomorrow time to upgrade

I have an iPhone 11 Pro.  Nice way to justify a new phone but I am not planning on upgrading at the moment.

5 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

Princes internet is what it is, no "faster internet" options.

3 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

Nope. YMMV depending on the ship.  I feel like I've had better internet experiences on past cruises but I had higher expectations with Discovery being the newest ship in the fleet. One would think that would yield the latest & greatest but it was not the case.

That's painful. Thank you both for the information.

I was on Sky Princess 2/25-3/11. Had the "new" Plus including the deserts, etc. Didn't use any of the "new" features.

First week everything seemed o.k. The app showed I had the package and bar charges were showing up properly. Second week the app either said I had no package, or said I should confirm my package with GS. Things showed up on my account that shouldn't have. I went to the GS to have those removed. Then, later in the cruise, other charges that should have been on my account were also removed. I informed GS of that error but the charges never reappeared.

Never had wi-fi/Internet on any prior cruise so I have nothing to compare it to. It was incredibly slow at times, especially mid-day when at sea. If it were the olden days and I was paying by the minute I would have gone crazy. Instead, I ordered room service and put movie on while uploading pics to FB.

Really loved the OBC that came with the Plus package. Between that and the shareholder OBC I took all the Princess shore excursions I was interested in, booked transfer back to FLL, used the luggage service, bought Stanley Bear and flowers for my cabin, and still didn't use all the credit! Somehow the unused credit was refunded to me via check even though it was supposed to be non-refundable.

Then there's the crew surcharge, that is also covered by Plus. $14.50 per day that didn't hit my account. Loved that too.

Even at $60/day, it's a bargain for me.

But, as I said on my survey, I've never been on a cruise ship before where it was so difficult to get a beverage. Not just a couple times or in certain places, but pretty much everywhere all the time. There were constantly people either in line or walking up standing behind bar stools trying to get the over-worked bartender's attention to get a beverage. Even sitting at a table in an area where waiters are circulating would take quite a while before someone came over or even surveyed the space to be flagged down. Not sure if they're overwhelmed because of everyone having Plus or what. But they really need to fix that.

Edited by cavecreekguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1