Land sickness cures?

Hello all!  As much as I love cruising, after getting off the ship at the end of the cruise, I feel the sensation of heavy movement for a couple weeks after, and then feel slightly dizzy for a month or two after that.  Being in a confined space such as a shower, it is very intense.  Or sitting at my desk at work, feels like the room is moving.  I never notice the motion of the ship while I’m on the cruise, nor do I ever experience seasickness.  

I’ve read some about it, but there’s just not that much out there.  I’ll try the “intense” exercise while on the ship this trip (we head out Sunday on the Wonder), and I always do try to stay hydrated.  Tends to happen most to middle aged women, and I fit the description:)

I thought I’d ask frequent cruisers if any of y’all experience this, and if so, have you found anything helpful?  Every time I feel sick after, I swear off cruising for good (but then the next year somehow get amnesia and sign up for another one, lol).  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jaimeglaser said:

Hello all!  As much as I love cruising, after getting off the ship at the end of the cruise, I feel the sensation of heavy movement for a couple weeks after, and then feel slightly dizzy for a month or two after that.  Being in a confined space such as a shower, it is very intense.  Or sitting at my desk at work, feels like the room is moving.  I never notice the motion of the ship while I’m on the cruise, nor do I ever experience seasickness.  

I’ve read some about it, but there’s just not that much out there.  I’ll try the “intense” exercise while on the ship this trip (we head out Sunday on the Wonder), and I always do try to stay hydrated.  Tends to happen most to middle aged women, and I fit the description:)

I thought I’d ask frequent cruisers if any of y’all experience this, and if so, have you found anything helpful?  Every time I feel sick after, I swear off cruising for good (but then the next year somehow get amnesia and sign up for another one, lol).  

I always used to feel motion for a few days after cruises.  Not so much anymore since the ships are so much bigger (mostly cruise Oasis class).  However, it never made me feel bad or sick.  Just a funny feeling.  

Sounds like your situation is more intense and I’ve never heard of someone getting sea sickness like feelings from it after being at sea.  One guess could be an inner ear issue since it impacts balance (at least I think so).  

Regardless of the inner ear part being right or wrong, I’d personally seek out professional help (see a doctor).  Perhaps an ENT, but your GP might suggest another route.  Either way, I’d be asking around to see your best first option.  There might be something they could diagnose and treat.  Your situation seems quite rare (which might mean something isn’t working correctly with your balance or whatever else).  Perhaps it is something simple than can treat.   

I wish you the best figuring it out and getting treatment.   

• Like 2

I experienced this pretty hard core after our Nov cruise. I also Googled it and found the same info on it, which kinda freaked me out. It took 2-3 weeks before I didn't feel the "sway" and I think the cruise plus flying really played off eachother. I didn't even want to sail the following month because I was afraid of experiencing it again....but what I did differently was stay VERY active while on the cruise and right after... movement movement movement. 

Once we were home I was on the Peloton and took several breaks through the day to move around (I WFH). The more I moved the better I was and I maybe only experienced the "sway" for a couple days this last time around.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jaimeglaser said:

I've had ear infections afterwards and been dizzy but probably from a lot of snorkeling.  If me, I'd make an appointment now for a few days after your sailing with an ENT to schedule some tests.  Or see if you can get in beforehand to ENT.  They may have some suggestions.

Edit:  Just looked up your symptoms.  Resembles like Mal de Debarquement Syndrome.  Look it up.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jaimeglaser said:

It affects me the same way and I feel sluggish for a couple of days.  I try exercising and walking and also take some Advils.

What so strange is that rough seas don't bother me at all.😂

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

We got off a 10 nighter a couple months ago and I had this experience for the first time EVER. Been on a dozen cruises and I'm not sure what caused it. We did have pretty much constant, gentle rolling motion on all the sea days that MAY have been a factor. That combined with the "seasonal" head/ear congestion MAY have been a factor. I didn't do anything about it and it eventually went away.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, topnole said:

I always used to feel motion for a few days after cruises.  Not so much anymore since the ships are so much bigger (mostly cruise Oasis class).  However, it never made me feel bad or sick.  Just a funny feeling.  

Sounds like your situation is more intense and I’ve never heard of someone getting sea sickness like feelings from it after being at sea.  One guess could be an inner ear issue since it impacts balance (at least I think so).  

Regardless of the inner ear part being right or wrong, I’d personally seek out professional help (see a doctor).  Perhaps an ENT, but your GP might suggest another route.  Either way, I’d be asking around to see your best first option.  There might be something they could diagnose and treat.  Your situation seems quite rare (which might mean something isn’t working correctly with your balance or whatever else).  Perhaps it is something simple than can treat.   

I wish you the best figuring it out and getting treatment.   

Thank you!  I may need to find a doctor when we get back.  Sometimes it's worse than others, and we always sail Oasis class.  The last cruise we went on left out of NJ on the Oasis in the late fall, and we had rough seas until we got down into warmer climates.  That could have had something to do with it.  I never felt seasick at all, even though the rest of my family did.  Thanks for your ideas!  Getting with an ENT is a better idea than just going to a GP, hadn't thought of that.

I experience this as well and after my last cruise I found acupuncture helped get my brain back on land! When I walked in the door to the appointment, my brain was still at sea, when i walked out, I was back on level ground! If you are looking for a non-medication option, give it a try!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

I experienced this pretty hard core after our Nov cruise. I also Googled it and found the same info on it, which kinda freaked me out. It took 2-3 weeks before I didn't feel the "sway" and I think the cruise plus flying really played off eachother. I didn't even want to sail the following month because I was afraid of experiencing it again....but what I did differently was stay VERY active while on the cruise and right after... movement movement movement. 

Once we were home I was on the Peloton and took several breaks through the day to move around (I WFH). The more I moved the better I was and I maybe only experienced the "sway" for a couple days this last time around.

Wonder has pelotons I think I've seen, I thought about taking my shoes with me and trying to get a ride in each day and seeing if that helps.  Though, I'm not sure if a stationary bike would be as effective as running the track?  I dunno.  Good to know though that the peloton helps for post-cruise motion weirdness, I will absolutely try it.  It's good motivation to work off all those Windjammer meals anyway, right?  😄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NeedsVitaminSea said:

I haven’t cruised since 2019 but am heading out soon and appreciate this reminder! Apparently this impacts women more commonly (lucky us). I started taking Bonine the last night of the cruise and the first couple of days on land. That seemed to help. 

I will pick some up and try this out.  I did take generic dramamine after my previous trips, and while it made me want to take a nap, it did seem to take the edge off the bobbing and swaying.  Or, at least it made me not feel nauseous from the perceived motion.  

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

It affects me the same way and I feel sluggish for a couple of days.  I try exercising and walking and also take some Advils.

What so strange is that rough seas don't bother me at all.😂

I am exactly the same!  My whole fam will be turning green from the ship rocking when the seas are rough, but I'm 100% fine, lol.  But then the day after we get off the ship, I want to throw up just sitting on the couch.  
I have read that it has something to do with our brains compensating "behind the scenes" for the motion while we are on the ship, and then when we get off the ship, our brains are still trying to do that correction even though it doesn't really need to.  Maybe our noggins are just extra good at compensating for it, since we don't get sick on the ship, but it haunts us for weeks after.  😄

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wendyinvt said:

I experience this as well and after my last cruise I found acupuncture helped get my brain back on land! When I walked in the door to the appointment, my brain was still at sea, when i walked out, I was back on level ground! If you are looking for a non-medication option, give it a try!

I am absolutely interested!  Did you have to find someone who specifically deals with landsickness/Mal de Debarquement Syndrome?  Or just a general acupuncturist?   

3 minutes ago, Jaimeglaser said:

I am absolutely interested!  Did you have to find someone who specifically deals with landsickness/Mal de Debarquement Syndrome?  Or just a general acupuncturist?   

General acupuncturist! At the time I had been going routinely for other things and casually mentioned at one appointment how annoying the landsickness was, didn't expect it to be an instant fix but in my case it was, a wonderful surprise!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wendyinvt said:

General acupuncturist! At the time I had been going routinely for other things and casually mentioned at one appointment how annoying the landsickness was, didn't expect it to be an instant fix but in my case it was, a wonderful surprise!

Awesome, thank you!  I will try this along with a visit to an ENT!  I'm hoping that making a few adjustments while onboard helps, like trying out the intense exercise, but I'm going to try out all of these suggestions and report back. 

It sounds like plenty of folks experience this, so I'm going to be the guinea pig and pull out ALL the stops 😄  Dramamine onboard even though I don't need it at the time, intense exercise onboard, better hydration onboard, dramamine and more exercise when I get back home, ENT visit, acupuncture.  And I'll reply back to this thread with progress.  It's an icky feeling, and I would love to help others figure out some ways to at least minimize it, if not beat it.  I feel like I get hit with it pretty hard, so I might be a good candidate for being a guinea pig 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaimeglaser said:

Awesome, thank you!  I will try this along with a visit to an ENT!  I'm hoping that making a few adjustments while onboard helps, like trying out the intense exercise, but I'm going to try out all of these suggestions and report back. 

It sounds like plenty of folks experience this, so I'm going to be the guinea pig and pull out ALL the stops 😄  Dramamine onboard even though I don't need it at the time, intense exercise onboard, better hydration onboard, dramamine and more exercise when I get back home, ENT visit, acupuncture.  And I'll reply back to this thread with progress.  It's an icky feeling, and I would love to help others figure out some ways to at least minimize it, if not beat it.  I feel like I get hit with it pretty hard, so I might be a good candidate for being a guinea pig 😄

Very interesting post and I had never heard of this and I’ve cruises a lot in my life and know many others that have as well. I guess it is rare but common in total number who experience it.  Perhaps acupuncture will help.  Again, wish you the best.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Go on more cruises. Seriously.

I experienced this when I first started cruising, but after a few cruises, it waned.

I like the way you think!

9 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I wonder if some these issues are of hereditary in nature.  My daughter has the same issues, but not my son.

It does impact women moreso than men.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jaimeglaser said:

I like the way you think!

It does impact women moreso than men.  

I can tell you what has helped my wife with these issues in the past and she swears by it.  she wears one sea band during the cruise the whole week.  (2 if rough)

When back on land she wears them (both wrists) for a few more days and has had no issues since doing it.

• Like 1

You can take meclizine for a few days after. I always do. I decided on a ferry last year between Sweden/Finland not to take anything and for the day I got off the ferry (really reminded me of a Carnival cruise ship in size- Glory/Freedom) I kept walking like I was on a boat/felt terrible! 

• Like 2