Land sickness cures?

I’m not reading all the responses so maybe you have already need this. 

I have had Mal de Debarquement Syndrome after a cruise in 2014 and then last month. It’s no joke.  

the first time I had an ENT nurse practitioner recommend high dose meclizine for three days and to sleep it off. It worked. I didn’t have that option after this last cruse. It took about 9 days to go away. I’m concerned about my cruise next month.  It’s a terrible feeling.  

there is very little info available. 

• Like 2

I will echo- after a few of the earlier cruises, I noticed the issue as well. I don’t experience sea sickness while onboard. I started taking Bonnie the night before we disembark. I take it for several days after and I haven’t had issues since. 

• Like 2

I experienced this for the first time ever.  I always felt the sway after getting back to land, but this time I was in the airport trying to read before we left for home.  I was sea sick, legit sea sick on land.  I ended up taking a Bonine and it settled the feeling down.  In bed that night I felt like I had the spins.  By the next day I was back to normal, but I really felt like garbage the first day back on land.  I kind of attributed it to having 4 days at sea.  Normally my cruises only have 1 day at sea at most, but we had to switch ships last minute due to our ship delayed in drydock, we got a new cruise leaving the same day but it had 4 days at sea.   I really feel like that had something to do with it.  Have to see how I feel after our next cruise which only has one day at sea.  

• Like 1

I take Bonine (Meclizine 25mg) starting the last couple of nights of the cruise and continue for several nights after. I used to get it really bad, felt very groggy and kept walking into walls, couldn’t turn around without feeling very dizzy - but since starting using Bonine- nada! No drowsiness either. 

• Like 1

What is strange is that when I sail from Bayonne you are at sea for 2.5 days, but yet don't experience any land sickness on our first stop at PC.  Maybe it's because your mind is busy with getting off the ship and concentrating on excursions.  But when the trip is over, I get it for about a couple of days.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

I can tell you what has helped my wife with these issues in the past and she swears by it.  she wears one sea band during the cruise the whole week.  (2 if rough)

When back on land she wears them (both wrists) for a few more days and has had no issues since doing it.

I picked up the Seabands yesterday after work based on your suggestion.  I am going to literally try everything 😄

20 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

FYI you can always take Dramamine at night if it makes you sleepy. I have found that Bonine does NOT make me tired so you might try that instead. 

Going to pick up some Bonine and give that a shot too.  Any interactions though with the drinks package I wonder?  Maybe that's my problem... I just need a drinks package for when I get back home 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

I’m not reading all the responses so maybe you have already need this. 

I have had Mal de Debarquement Syndrome after a cruise in 2014 and then last month. It’s no joke.  

the first time I had an ENT nurse practitioner recommend high dose meclizine for three days and to sleep it off. It worked. I didn’t have that option after this last cruse. It took about 9 days to go away. I’m concerned about my cruise next month.  It’s a terrible feeling.  

there is very little info available. 

It really is no joke!  And it's hard to explain to my family how awful it is when I'm the only one who gets it.  I feel like I'm being dramatic, but it REALLY sucks.  If it lingers too much, maybe I can ask the ENT if I can take a high dose the weekend after we get back?  I also can't immediately after our cruise this weekend, we come back on a Sunday and I'll have to return to work on Monday.

12 hours ago, allyfree said:

Traditional pregnancy tips like sipping ginger ale and eating anything containing ginger will help with the nausea ... and ginger ale from the freestyle machines is a lot better than the cola !

Ginger ale is the best!  Thanks for reminding me that is available in the freestyle machines!

12 hours ago, Elliotts30 said:

I experienced this for the first time ever.  I always felt the sway after getting back to land, but this time I was in the airport trying to read before we left for home.  I was sea sick, legit sea sick on land.  I ended up taking a Bonine and it settled the feeling down.  In bed that night I felt like I had the spins.  By the next day I was back to normal, but I really felt like garbage the first day back on land.  I kind of attributed it to having 4 days at sea.  Normally my cruises only have 1 day at sea at most, but we had to switch ships last minute due to our ship delayed in drydock, we got a new cruise leaving the same day but it had 4 days at sea.   I really feel like that had something to do with it.  Have to see how I feel after our next cruise which only has one day at sea.  

Our cruise next week is really port heavy.  I'll try to make it a point to get off the ship and walk around some even if it's not a port I'm really all that into.  My favorite thing is to stay on the ship when in port because I enjoy the empty pools... perhaps though even an hour or so walk on land will be helpful.  Our last cruise, we skipped most of the ports and stayed on board, so you could be on to something!

10 hours ago, LeeW said:

Had this problem for first few cruises.  After 50 or so it goes away.  Solution:  more cruises!

LOL, I will pitch this idea to my husband 😄

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Relief Band!  Google it.

I will look into this, thank you!

8 hours ago, emdia43 said:

I take Bonine (Meclizine 25mg) starting the last couple of nights of the cruise and continue for several nights after. I used to get it really bad, felt very groggy and kept walking into walls, couldn’t turn around without feeling very dizzy - but since starting using Bonine- nada! No drowsiness either. 

Does the Bonine keep you up at night at all, if it's non-drowsy?  I have seen several people suggest the Bonine the last few nights and to continue it once off the ship.  Definitely going to give this a shot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaimeglaser said:

It really is no joke!  And it's hard to explain to my family how awful it is when I'm the only one who gets it.  I feel like I'm being dramatic, but it REALLY sucks.  If it lingers too much, maybe I can ask the ENT if I can take a high dose the weekend after we get back?  I also can't immediately after our cruise this weekend, we come back on a Sunday and I'll have to return to work on Monday.

Ginger ale is the best!  Thanks for reminding me that is available in the freestyle machines!

Our cruise next week is really port heavy.  I'll try to make it a point to get off the ship and walk around some even if it's not a port I'm really all that into.  My favorite thing is to stay on the ship when in port because I enjoy the empty pools... perhaps though even an hour or so walk on land will be helpful.  Our last cruise, we skipped most of the ports and stayed on board, so you could be on to something!

LOL, I will pitch this idea to my husband 😄

Just remember the ship won’t be moving at all while in port.  So not sure getting off vs exercising on the ship matters a great deal (other than psychologically).  So perhaps you can still remain on the ship in places you prefer ship time?   Just a thought.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Just remember the ship won’t be moving at all while in port.  So not sure getting off vs exercising on the ship matters a great deal (other than psychologically).  So perhaps you can still remain on the ship in places you prefer ship time?   Just a thought.  

Ooh I didn't know it doesn't move at all.  I thought it still might bob up and down a little, but now that you mention it, it does make sense that it would probably move VERY little, if at all while at the pier.  We have a casita for our Nassau day, so it would probably be okay to just enjoy the pool time and not mess with getting out just to walk.  

1 hour ago, Jaimeglaser said:

Ooh I didn't know it doesn't move at all.  I thought it still might bob up and down a little, but now that you mention it, it does make sense that it would probably move VERY little, if at all while at the pier.  We have a casita for our Nassau day, so it would probably be okay to just enjoy the pool time and not mess with getting out just to walk.  

I guess there could be motion.  But certainly not much, and most likely none.  If it is that rough, they probably aren’t docking.  

• Like 1

I'm one of those that feels the motion of the ship well after I get off it.  Fortunately, I don't get sick from it.  It's a weird feeling, for sure.  However, for some reason, I do get a little sick when actually on the ship and it gets a little more than the usual rock & roll.  I'm purchasing the above-mentioned Relief Band to give it a try as I also have Vertigo and that may help with that.  Until I found out about the Relief Band, my wife and I, used the stretchy wristband that put pressure on a nerve.  It seemed to work well but not 100%.  

I never know when I'll have a vertigo incident, other than always at night, so far, and my next cruise isn't until January.  So, I'm not sure when I'll be able to give a review of the Relief Band.  Once again, I'm in no way connected with Relief Band.  BTW, there are other brands, this is the only one that I know that I know the brand name of.

BTW, there is are a few other options but harder to get.  Get the anxiety medication from your doctor that helps with flying, it seems to help with motion issues, I think it is a form of Valium.  However, it may make you drowsy.    Ginger, not a redhead type, the root.

• Like 1

I am the same.  I actually will stagger at times for the first two days off the ship.  My doctor prescribed meclizine, which might be spelled wrong, but it's close. This treats vertigo, and has been my go-to.  I start taking it my last night on the ship for about three days.  It can make you tired though, but I am a medication light-weight. 

Edited by nimbex1970
  • Like 1

The one thing I will say about the motion sickness meds, is that if you use the scopolamine patch for more than a few days you can actually have pretty severe withdrawals from it...I found out the hard way.