Underbed storage? Ruby Princess specific

Katnisslove

Hi!  My boyfriend and I are sailing 6/6 on the Ruby Princess in a caribe deck balcony and I have a question about under the bed storage.  I have looked up, and there was an actual Youtube video, of our cabin which was very, very nice.  I sleep on the left side of the bed with my c-pap.  I saw there is a plug on the right side nightstand and was wondering if I can run my 4ft extension cord (cruise approved, non surge protected) under the bed?  Is it hollow under the bed or did they put the mattress on a block nullifying the under bed?  Also, if it is hollow can you store your unpacked suitcases also?  Trying to maximize space!  Thank you in advance.

We keep our suitcases under the bed as well.  They are not the largest type...but bigger than carry-on size.  Yes, you will be able to run your extension cord under the bed.  Also (you may not need it) there is *usually a "European-style 2 prong wall outlet behind the bed on most Princess ships.  I carry an adapter which splits out the sockets to an additional European style and a US-style in order to plug my CPAP in to it, while still allowing whatever was plugged into that outlet (usually the nightstand lamp) to be plugged in.  Most CPAPs are dual voltage...but check your power adapter just in case!

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just got off the Ruby Princess, and I, too, sleep on the left side of the bed with a cpap. I told the cabin steward I needed an extension cord for my cpap and he got me one less than 10 minutes later. I ran the cord along the wall in the space between the mattress and the wall with no problem. We both managed to fit our suitcases under the bed with no problem as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katnisslove said:

Hi!  My boyfriend and I are sailing 6/6 on the Ruby Princess in a caribe deck balcony and I have a question about under the bed storage.  I have looked up, and there was an actual Youtube video, of our cabin which was very, very nice.  I sleep on the left side of the bed with my c-pap.  I saw there is a plug on the right side nightstand and was wondering if I can run my 4ft extension cord (cruise approved, non surge protected) under the bed?  Is it hollow under the bed or did they put the mattress on a block nullifying the under bed?  Also, if it is hollow can you store your unpacked suitcases also?  Trying to maximize space!  Thank you in advance.

The mattress is a foam mattress, without a box spring.  The bed frames are constructed to accommodate 2 pullman suitcases under each bed (the queen is actually two singles pushed together with a strip to mask the separation of the two mattresses.)  This applies to all of the Princess ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We keep our suitcases under the bed as well.  They are not the largest type...but bigger than carry-on size.  Yes, you will be able to run your extension cord under the bed.  Also (you may not need it) there is *usually a "European-style 2 prong wall outlet behind the bed on most Princess ships.  I carry an adapter which splits out the sockets to an additional European style and a US-style in order to plug my CPAP in to it, while still allowing whatever was plugged into that outlet (usually the nightstand lamp) to be plugged in.  Most CPAPs are dual voltage...but check your power adapter just in case!

Two questions:

1. How difficult is it to access the outlet under the bed?

2, Your adapter appears to only offer a 2 prong US outlet. Can it handle a 3 prong plug?

52 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Two questions:

1. How difficult is it to access the outlet under the bed?

2, Your adapter appears to only offer a 2 prong US outlet. Can it handle a 3 prong plug?

1) very easy. Just pull the bed(s) away from the wall perhaps 12 inches and you should be able to get to it very easy. 

2) My CPAP power adapter has the "non-keyed" style power plug so both prongs are the same size. If you need a 3 prong socket just toss in an adapter in your bag of tricks!

1. Lets talk about this outlet under the bed.     =  its european style?   That means I need to adapt to USA-  not a problem. 
  2. Next question about this- is something plugged into it? 
  3. I found a converter than goes to european and I have the option of getting 2 plugs or 1 plus with (2) USB... 
  4. I guess I can just do that incase there is a light connected to it!

11 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

Let me add to that question-  is the lamp a european style plug in?   Because then I would need a plug with an additional european and an USA one on the plug... thats why you showed that plug!   

Here is the adapter that I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/European-Adapter-Adaptor-Countries-Netherlands/dp/B008JCVF0U/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2YC72VL0V3Z7G&keywords=schuko%2Bplug%2Badapter&qid=1676657828&sprefix=schuko%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-19&th=1

Amazon has TONS of other styles, mostly that have built-in USB plugs.  Just my personal opinion...a USB plug is pretty useless under the bed!  That's why I use this particular plug.  If your travels take you to other places where you could use that USB plug then by all means...go with one of those.

Yes, there is almost always a bedside lamp plugged into the wall and it is the 220v European style plug.  That's why you need athat second Euro plug as well as the US style.

• Like 1

Apologies to the OP...this thread has taken off on a tangent in regards to the power socket behind the bed.  The OP *did* make a reference to a CPAP...I just wanted to point out options and alternatives to an extension cord running across the room.  I had to do that on our first cruise after I started using a CPAP.  I vowed that I would NEVER again be caught in a lurch in regards to where it plugs in and the inevitable trip hazard (my opinion) of the "ship-supplied" extension cord.  Feel free to do whatever floats your boat (PUN INTENDED!) in using adapters!

Thank you thank you thank you!  I just bought this one.  I too have a CPAP and a LAPTOP that can do 120/240 through an adapted plug. 

I will plug my CPAP in behind the bed and their light back into the plug.  Can also do my laptop in the other one. 

Here is the one I purchased:

Amazon.com: CKITZE BA-9-3P Grounded Universal 2-in-1 Schuko Type E/F Plug Adapter - 3 Pack : Electronics

Same thing right?   Thank you in advance!

18 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

Thank you thank you thank you!  I just bought this one.  I too have a CPAP and a LAPTOP that can do 120/240 through an adapted plug. 

I will plug my CPAP in behind the bed and their light back into the plug.  Can also do my laptop in the other one. 

Here is the one I purchased:

Amazon.com: CKITZE BA-9-3P Grounded Universal 2-in-1 Schuko Type E/F Plug Adapter - 3 Pack : Electronics

Same thing right?   Thank you in advance!

It looks to me like you have a Type F adapter which is for Germany. Pretty sure the plugs on Princess are Type C.  Both have two round prongs but Type F prongs are "thicker". They will fit only Type F and (I think) Type E sockets. Type C has thinner prongs and will fit both Type C and Type F. Type C is the most common European plug.

If I'm wrong I'm sure I will be corrected but you want to make sure you are getting an adapter that will actually fit into the Princess outlet.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Katnisslove said:

Also, if it is hollow can you store your unpacked suitcases also?  Trying to maximize space!

My large bag laying on the floor measures 13" high and fits (just barely) under the bed. 

I've been on the Ruby about 7 times since the restart.   It's one of my favorite ships. 

Enjoy your Cruise !!

Edited by symui
typo

9 hours ago, princess76021 said:

I'm not quite sure how big her large suitcase was but ours large (3 of them)suitcases fit under the bed.  We were on the Ruby for 17 days on a transatlantic

Agree!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone so much!!  I think I will get a longer extension cord just in case we are unlucky and there is no outlet behind the bed.  I am also going to get this adapter incase we are lucky!  I can always return one after the cruise. Lol.

https://www.amazon.com/VINTAR-Germany-Adapter-European-Adaptor/dp/B08TR7QCVP/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1JISVEQ36GCJ7&keywords=e%2Ff%2Btravel%2Badapter&qid=1681399068&sprefix=e%2Ff%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-8&th=1