Currently on the Breakaway, mini review, full review to follow

Redsky5292

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

Redsky5292 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We are currently on the Breakaway headed back to New Orleans. We had a FANTASTIC vacation. The staff was amazing, the food was vastly improved from when we were on her in July, there was tons to do and we had a great time. Ask any questions and I will try and answer them. I’ll write a full review soon

• Like 3

Glad to hear it! Can you tell us who the Captain, General Manager, and Cruise Director are? (It’s to know if we have the same ones next week on the Transatlantic or if they take the opportunity to swap out a lot of officers and staff.)

8 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Glad to hear it! Can you tell us who the Captain, General Manager, and Cruise Director are? (It’s to know if we have the same ones next week on the Transatlantic or if they take the opportunity to swap out a lot of officers and staff.)

I’ll try and find out as we are wandering the ship today. I know the Cruise Director is Merlina. She was the CD when we were on in July. She’s great!

We cruised the Breakaway in March and had a great cruise! Staff was always friendly and the food and drinks were really good! It was a full ship but when you cruise during March that should be expected.

21 hours ago, nextcruiseonmymind said:

Any information on production shows including there show times would be greatly appreciated.

Six was at 7:30 and 10 and Burn the Floor was at 7:30 as well.  Both were great.  I think Six was better when we were on the Breakaway in July but Burn the Floor was better this time.  We didn't see any other shows.

18 minutes ago, KristieB said:

What time did you get to the port for embarkation? I've been hearing that NOLA is a bit of a mess, especially if you get there early in the day.

We were there around 945 am, and we were on the ship by 1130 am. I don't have much experience to compare it to, but it seemed a little chaotic.

8 hours ago, KristieB said:

What time did you get to the port for embarkation? I've been hearing that NOLA is a bit of a mess, especially if you get there early in the day.

We've been on Breakaway out of NOLA twice. 

In 2022, we arrived at the terminal at about 0945.  We boarded at about 1125 after standing in line for about an hour and a half.

In 2023, we arrived at the terminal at about 1115.  We boarded at about 1125.  No standing in line.

The waiting area at NOLA is very small.  If  you're not there before about 0915, you'll not find a place to sit and will have to stand until you board.

No one boards prior to about 1115 since all the passengers from the previous voyage must depart before boarding begins.

Really, the only reason to arrive early is if you need to be first aboard to make reservations.  Or, if you think getting on board 30 minutes earlier is important.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We've been on Breakaway out of NOLA twice. 

In 2022, we arrived at the terminal at about 0945.  We boarded at about 1125 after standing in line for about an hour and a half.

In 2023, we arrived at the terminal at about 1115.  We boarded at about 1125.  No standing in line.

The waiting area at NOLA is very small.  If  you're not there before about 0915, you'll not find a place to sit and will have to stand until you board.

No one boards prior to about 1115 since all the passengers from the previous voyage must depart before boarding begins.

Really, the only reason to arrive early is if you need to be first aboard to make reservations.  Or, if you think getting on board 30 minutes earlier is important.

Yeah, we’ve cruised before so know the drill. I’ve read several stories about the security line at NOLA being a block or two long and not moving when getting there early. Normally you go through security, check in, then sit in a waiting area. Sounds like it may not be quite the same there. I’m thinking it may be better to eat lunch off ship than board. 

4 minutes ago, KristieB said:

Yeah, we’ve cruised before so know the drill. I’ve read several stories about the security line at NOLA being a block or two long and not moving when getting there early. Normally you go through security, check in, then sit in a waiting area. Sounds like it may not be quite the same there. I’m thinking it may be better to eat lunch off ship than board. 

Doesn't happen that way in NOLA.   Once the waiting area is full, and it's not large, they stop processing people through security because there's no where for them to go.  The security line will be stopped until all the passengers have left the ship ( ships at zero) which usually happens around 1115-1130.  

Here's an option for you.  Go to the terminal, scope out the line, if it's moving, get in line.  If it isn't, go upstairs to the mall on the second floor.  Lot's of places to eat, spend time, etc.  After 1130 go back down stairs and get in line.

Or, do what we did.  We stayed in our room at the Hilton Riverside until checkout time at 1100.  Took a cab to the terminal.  No lines.

I second that, Cruised out of new Orleans many times, Security Line goes very slow and will stop when Waiting area is full. We cruise in the Haven and there is no seperate Haven Security Line just a small room after you check in. Relax and enjoy outside on the patio from the mall till the lines are consistantly moving. 

On 4/26/2023 at 10:48 AM, wolft927 said:

I second that, Cruised out of new Orleans many times, Security Line goes very slow and will stop when Waiting area is full. We cruise in the Haven and there is no seperate Haven Security Line just a small room after you check in. Relax and enjoy outside on the patio from the mall till the lines are consistantly moving. 

For my own future reference if I ever cruise out of NOLA: Can you drop off your bags first and then go hang out, or do you have to take your bags with you?  Thanks!