Live(ish) Epic Transatlantic April 22-May 7

Clay Clayton

21 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Will be following as I enjoy your take on different cruises and lines.  I really hope you enjoy your TA on the Epic.  Friends here sailed her in January out of San Juan.  They hated it.  Never again they said.  Comments:  packed with people, loud, people in your face all the time, had to shout to order in a restaurant with wait staff needing to yell also, corridors crowded going both ways, elevators packed, only good restaurant was specialty French, lots of over the top drunk people.  But then they were on a Caribbean cruise which tends to be a party boat anyways.  

We were on the ship in February. We stay in the Haven and the ship proper was definitely crowded.

Our biggest (pleasant) surprise was how good the food/protein was throughout the ship. The one that we weren't expecting much from was Moderno and our filet had that melt-in-your-mouth quality. Our food was overall good throughout the week.

Enjoy the trip!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MkeCruzn said:

I hope to watch this live-ish as I have a chance and don't run out of Wi-Fi minutes. I'm reluctant to upgrade to an unlimited plan since the 4-day TA portion may not have good service.

That’s why it will be “ish”.  I likely won’t post from the ship but only when ashore.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pretty Woman said:

Hi, We sail on the Epic in July. If possible could you post copies of dailies or post entertainment

in theatre? Thank you so much.  Enjoy your cruise.

Certainly though given the recent entertainment upheavals I hope they will do you some good🤔

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Clay - for the time being, I'm just going to add & contribute here to your Live'ish Epic report for Saturday.  Not sure if I'm up to doing things "live" onboard but we are probably going to trade-up our 300 minutes to unlimited, depending on satellite speed as I see them using our hardware ... @spenecer speed results sound good enough, similar results onboard the Getaway this January with Samsung but with Google Pixel 7 Pro and iPhone SE, speed was even better when overall net traffic wasn't heavy.  

I did a bit of comparative price shopping for ground transfer option - getting from LGA and JFK to MCT - Pier 88, typical and based on weekend mornings, around 10 to 11 am'ish.  This could be helpful & informative for others not on the big roll call to know but planning to embark with us.  

Carmel car services (unless pre-booked with pickup time, needs 20 - 30 minutes due to availabilities)

LGA to Pier 88

$52, $55, $60 and $72 for mini-van, SUV at $89

Uber - LGA to Pier 88

$59 and $76 for UberX

Lyft - LGA to Pier 88

$56, $58 or $62 depending wait time to get picked up, and $72 for XL

Uber - JFK to Pier 88

$85 and $110 for UberX

Lyft - JFK to Pier 88

$79 or $83, and $96 for Lyft XL

JFK AirTrain to Jamaica Station via MetroCard for the fare, plus $2.75 (which is OMNY contactless payment friendly, ApplePay or Google Wallet compatible for tap-n-go) via the "E" subway is the frugal way to within walking distance of the ship terminal.  Packing light, very much doable on the subway car on weekends as it's off-peak & not crowded.  

Extended weather forecast for this Saturday: overcast, mid/upper 50's to low 60's - 60% chance of occassional rain shower, somewhat windy.  

You going on the Epic TA?

• Haha 1

A little background on me, our travels, and our plans for this trip. Skip this post if you’re only following to learn about Epic as this will be our first time onboard her. 

My first cruise was my college spring break trip senior year (1980) aboard Carnival Mardi Gras. Four to a inside cabin, flaming baked alaskas parading through the dining room, and the shower was just the shower head in the ceiling of the half bath sized toilet room so everything in the bathroom got wet when you took a shower-Ah the good old days!😂

After finishing grad school as an Architect I worked for a large firm based in Atlanta.  Most of my career was spent managing design and construction for k-12 building programs for school districts. This entailed moving every 6-8 years as those programs were completed. So I’ve lived in Atlanta, Orlando (twice), Raleigh (3 times-met Mike in 1990 during the first stint), Greensboro, Key West, and Houston. 

I didn’t cruise again until 2000 when my now Husband Mike and I discovered NCL and Freestyle Cruising. No tie, no fixed seating. It was great. Since then we have cruised multiple times on Norwegian, twice on HAL, thrice on Celebrity, and 4.5 times on Viking. We have done transatlantics on NCL and Viking, transpacific on Celebrity, b2b Alaska and Hawaii on Hal, in addition to shorter cruises on all of them. We greatly prefer longer cruises especially now that we are retired.

Speaking of which, we lived nomadically for the first two years after we retired in 2018. The first year in Europe (Valencia, Milan, Santorini, Sofia, Lisbon, Porto, Baltic Cruise, London, Scotland, Ireland) and South & Central America (Cuenca and San Miguel de Allende).   The second year doing a North American roadtrip with detours to Japan and China. We were on our way back to Europe in March 2020 when Viking announced they were returning all ships to their embarkation ports (except their World Cruise) hence our half-transatlantic.  Luckily we had just purchased a condo in Raleigh, NC so we had someplace to live….once we bought furniture. Not fun during those early days of the shutdown. 

We hadn’t planned on doing this cruise even though we wanted to join our friends George @HoldenDad and Doug on their first transatlantic. We had alredy booked an Asian cruise for October 2022 when they decided to book this one.  But our October got canceled which freed up travel budget to do this as well as joining another group of friends on their Alaska cruise which Mike and I made a B2B to Hawaii. Sam, another friend traveling solo decided to join us on Epic so we looking forward to spending time with all of them. 

After the cruise, Mike and I are flying immediately to Paris. Mike has never been unless transits of CDG count and I haven’t been since 1988 or so.  We have an airbnb booked in Versailles but will go into Paris for at least two days of sightseeing. We are in France until May 13 when we fly to Reykjavik. We did an around Iceland cruise in 2021 but due to a single case of covid onboard were unable to make our ports on the south side of the island. So we have rented a car and are going to spend four nights in Iceland before flying (nonstop😀) back to Raleigh.  That will be the first leg of a roundtrip ticket in Iceland Air. We will use the return leg in late July when we return to Reykjavik to board Viking Saturn for Mike’s 60th birthday cruise. We will be going from there to Bergen via Longyearbyen the northernmost permanent village in the world (polar bears outnumber residents!). 

So that’s some (😂too much) background on us. If anyone wants advice on slow nomadic travel or on any places we have been, we are happy to share our experiences and advice. That’s Mike in the toucan shirt and me in the blue enjoying a MaiTai in Hawaii last October. 

IMG_3738.jpeg

• Like 29

As mentioned I will be on the MSC out of brklyn on. sat. I am not sure if what I got was because of when I booked or since they match latitude pts. I got free liquids - all types, booze, water, coffee, chocolate, tea up to $10. Per drink -

gratitudes included. Also free unlimited WiFi for 2 devices. Some other stuff. They know that many of us love NCL. They are new to NY. I also found out it is HUGE- I do not like huge.  
lets Hope we all have a great smooth sailing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

A little background on me, our travels, and our plans for this trip. Skip this post if you’re only following to learn about Epic as this will be our first time onboard her. 

My first cruise was my college spring break trip senior year (1980) aboard Carnival Mardi Gras. Four to a inside cabin, flaming baked alaskas parading through the dining room, and the shower was just the shower head in the ceiling of the half bath sized toilet room so everything in the bathroom got wet when you took a shower-Ah the good old days!😂

After finishing grad school as an Architect I worked for a large firm based in Atlanta.  Most of my career was spent managing design and construction for k-12 building programs for school districts. This entailed moving every 6-8 years as those programs were completed. So I’ve lived in Atlanta, Orlando (twice), Raleigh (3 times-met Mike in 1990 during the first stint), Greensboro, Key West, and Houston. 

I didn’t cruise again until 2000 when my now Husband Mike and I discovered NCL and Freestyle Cruising. No tie, no fixed seating. It was great. Since then we have cruised multiple times on Norwegian, twice on HAL, thrice on Celebrity, and 4.5 times on Viking. We have done transatlantics on NCL and Viking, transpacific on Celebrity, b2b Alaska and Hawaii on Hal, in addition to shorter cruises on all of them. We greatly prefer longer cruises especially now that we are retired.

Speaking of which, we lived nomadically for the first two years after we retired in 2018. The first year in Europe (Valencia, Milan, Santorini, Sofia, Lisbon, Porto, Baltic Cruise, London, Scotland, Ireland) and South & Central America (Cuenca and San Miguel de Allende).   The second year doing a North American roadtrip with detours to Japan and China. We were on our way back to Europe in March 2020 when Viking announced they were returning all ships to their embarkation ports (except their World Cruise) hence our half-transatlantic.  Luckily we had just purchased a condo in Raleigh, NC so we had someplace to live….once we bought furniture. Not fun during those early days of the shutdown. 

We hadn’t planned on doing this cruise even though we wanted to join our friends George @HoldenDad and Doug on their first transatlantic. We had alredy booked an Asian cruise for October 2022 when they decided to book this one.  But our October got canceled which freed up travel budget to do this as well as joining another group of friends on their Alaska cruise which Mike and I made a B2B to Hawaii. Sam, another friend traveling solo decided to join us on Epic so we looking forward to spending time with all of them. 

After the cruise, Mike and I are flying immediately to Paris. Mike has never been unless transits of CDG count and I haven’t been since 1988 or so.  We have an airbnb booked in Versailles but will go into Paris for at least two days of sightseeing. We are in France until May 13 when we fly to Reykjavik. We did an around Iceland cruise in 2021 but due to a single case of covid onboard were unable to make our ports on the south side of the island. So we have rented a car and are going to spend four nights in Iceland before flying (nonstop😀) back to Raleigh.  That will be the first leg of a roundtrip ticket in Iceland Air. We will use the return leg in late July when we return to Reykjavik to board Viking Saturn for Mike’s 60th birthday cruise. We will be going from there to Bergen via Longyearbyen the northernmost permanent village in the world (polar bears outnumber residents!). 

So that’s some (😂too much) background on us. If anyone wants advice on slow nomadic travel or on any places we have been, we are happy to share our experiences and advice. That’s Mike in the toucan shirt and me in the blue enjoying a MaiTai in Hawaii last October. 

IMG_3738.jpeg

Loved reading this, Clay!  I had pieced together some/most of it from various Viking posts, but really good to have all the background detail in the right order.  Have a wonderful cruise/France/Iceland sojourn!

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much Clay for doing the semi live review. I was planning on joining you but couldn't imagine going six weeks later after my 2/26 Getaway (yes I know I should have waited).  This week I am feeling sad about not going so your review will make me feel like am there.  So right now seriously looking at a Fall TA and at worse the 2024 Escape though that one is insanely expensive.  Have a great time!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

Clay, do you type your daily updates on your tablet and then just copy and paste when you get wifi?

Actually type it in my phone but yes, try to do it before bed or at breakfast each day and then upload when I have wifi. 

• Like 1

Have a wonderful cruise.  I was on the last 2 TAs of the Epic, making for a total of 3 TAs on the Epic.  I would have been on this cruise, but my husband and I are returning to Australia for a 3 week land trip (only Sydney and Melbourne, where he was born.  Rotary convention there as well).  My husband has not been back to Australia since 1990!!  I snuck in a 9 day cruise on the Jewel in December of 2019 going to New Zealand and Australia--my first solo!  Anyways, we met back in 2018 for the TA on the Star!  I was traveling with the Canadians (Linda, Gwen and Jenny).  I still cruise with the Canadians, and have a cruise line up with them in September.  My husband and I are doing the TA on the Jade in November from Lisbon to NYC.  TAs are my favorite!!  Enjoy!

Cheers!  Susan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tsahall01 said:

My husband and I are doing the TA on the Jade in November from Lisbon to NYC.  TAs are my favorite!!  Enjoy!

Cheers!  Susan

Hi, I don't know if you realize that Viva is also doing TA from Lisbon to Miami in November and she will stop in St. Thomas on the way. Prices have dropped for the Viva TA and balcony prices are identical to Jade's but Viva (which is a brand new ship) has bigger balcony cabins.

We have been of two Epic TAs, and Jade TA once, and sorry but Jade was our least fave ship for the TA - a bit too small for so many sea days. We also have been on TA on several of the BA & BA+ class ships - big and great for the TAs.

32 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Hi, I don't know if you realize that Viva is also doing TA from Lisbon to Miami in November and she will stop in St. Thomas on the way. Prices have dropped for the Viva TA and balcony prices are identical to Jade's but Viva (which is a brand new ship) has bigger balcony cabins.

We have been of two Epic TAs, and Jade TA once, and sorry but Jade was our least fave ship for the TA - a bit too small for so many sea days. We also have been on TA on several of the BA & BA+ class ships - big and great for the TAs.

We are actually booked on the Viva TA from San Juan in April of next year.  I was on the Getaway for a TA in 2019--was my worst cruise ever--that's why I booked the New Zealand cruise--if I hated it as well, I was going to start going to HAL again--LOL!  Cruise on the Jewel way my favorite!!  Jewel and Jade are similar, so hoping that it will be a good cruise.  I have my airfare from STT-MIA-NCL air to Lisbon-JFK-STT already booked, so it will be kinda hard to change, plus my sister and BIL are joining us.  I've had 3 Epic TAs, 1 Star and 1 Getaway.  Looking forward to the Viva cruise!!

Cheers!!  Susan--on a side note, my sister and BIL will be on the Spirit with you on May 31st from Seward to Vancouver--they are doing the land tour pre-cruise.  I would join them, but my husband and I will be in Australia until the 3rd of June

• Like 1

I used to love the Gem - too many trips to count. However it came back from its' not' -over hall. Yes, maybe new drapes ands carpets. But rooms still do not have enough outlets and no USB ports .Also the A/C was not working correctly- way to HOT .I hear that the Jewel (maybe Jade) is fantastic and really got an over hall. Jewel, Jade., Gem same class.

I was on the Prima - too many things not fixed - i was on the trip NY to Galveston, many things wrong could have been fixed. As you walked (no matter where) it was artic or Sahara within feet. So the Viva is scaring me. But good prices along with a good itinerary might make me reconsider. I am glad that most people like the Epic. On Prima - do not take a balcony on the first room floor - people on the deck can see you!!!!

Yes room bigger then Gem. Also check where  the room is vs the staircase. some rooms had a really long walk. Also - if you want to diet - do not go on Prima - the food was  the best of any NCL.

Hi, We sail on the Epic in July. If possible could you post copies of dailies or post entertainment

This will be our 4th time on Epic, Never a problem. Both Caribbean and Mediterranean. Lat two cruises got cancelled because of Covid. So looking forward to this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pretty Woman said:

This will be our 4th time on Epic, Never a problem. Both Caribbean and Mediterranean. Lat two cruises got cancelled because of Covid. So looking forward to this one.

I will plan on posting the dailies.  If not “live” due to upload issues, I will certainly do so when we get home in Mid May. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 1:27 PM, like2cruise33 said:

I used to love the Gem - too many trips to count. However it came back from its' not' -over hall. Yes, maybe new drapes ands carpets. But rooms still do not have enough outlets and no USB ports .Also the A/C was not working correctly- way to HOT .I hear that the Jewel (maybe Jade) is fantastic and really got an over hall. Jewel, Jade., Gem same class.

I was on the Prima - too many things not fixed - i was on the trip NY to Galveston, many things wrong could have been fixed. As you walked (no matter where) it was artic or Sahara within feet. So the Viva is scaring me. But good prices along with a good itinerary might make me reconsider. I am glad that most people like the Epic. On Prima - do not take a balcony on the first room floor - people on the deck can see you!!!!

Yes room bigger then Gem. Also check where  the room is vs the staircase. some rooms had a really long walk. Also - if you want to diet - do not go on Prima - the food was  the best of any NCL.

The Jewel regularly gets chosen as one of the best ships in the fleet (at least according to the Jewel officers, but I believe them...) Anyway, we've enjoyed two cruises on the Jewel and would probably take another one. It's a reasonable size but smaller, so smaller crowds and less of a line to get off the ship at the ports and back on at the end of the day. They could use a few specialty restaurant changes, but oh well... The Escape had great options and we'd like to do another one on that ship as well.

Apparently my subconscious is trying to get the rest of me ready for our o’darkthirty drive to the airport tomorrow. I woke up about 3:45 and after trying unsuccessfully to get back to sleep got up about 5:30.

Our flight boards tomorrow at about that time and while we have precheck, early morning is the busiest time at RDU. Thankfully it’s only a 7 minute drive and as a volunteer I get free parking but we still will leave our place no later than 4:15😳

So here I sit having coffee and wishing it was tomorrow already! 😂

tmp.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1