Live from Millennium Panama Canal East-to-West April 21 - May 6, 2023

DaKahuna

Good morning.  We got up and made ouselves presentable. We had arranged for the 0630 shuttle from the hotel to the airport.

Bag drop went smoothly, a short but moving line in Clear/TSA Pre. 

we are flying out of the D gates which means riding the “People Mover” from the main terminal to the D Gates.

We are now about to enjoy breakfast at the United Club.

IMG_8317.thumb.jpeg.9cc43bd65124ae9dc621a1bcfb71e95a.jpegIMG_8316.thumb.jpeg.f397c74d87c146ece088e8055faddaad.jpegIMG_8318.thumb.jpeg.aa7e761f55e84b7f9711860ea35ed9d0.jpegIMG_8319.thumb.jpeg.8af62130bef433a836f21b0be2b0a472.jpegIMG_8320.thumb.jpeg.397462e6d8fa2a2ee94ec7b92f1f0a89.jpegIMG_8321.thumb.jpeg.dec70b05641ae32fec87608e63d56ca3.jpeg

• Like 6

Off to Toronto Airport myself later this afternoon to fly down to FLL. I booked the Le Meridien for 33k Bonvoy Points. I will probably pop into a Publix beforehand to get some stuff for this rather long Voyage.

I hear you with the late room availability in the FLL area, although with hotel status, you're usually able to get one asap. I decided to take the afternoon flight for that reason alone.

Edited by Fly and Sail

Just now, Fly and Sail said:

Off to Toronto Airport myself later this afternoon to fly down to FLL. I booked the Le Meridien for 33k Bonvoy Points. I will probably pop into a Publix beforehand to get some stuff for this rather long Voyage.  for this

I hear you with the late room availability in the FLL area, although with hotel status, you're usually able to get one asap. I decided to take the afternoon flight for that reason alone.

I’d be interested in how you like the Le Meridien.  We have heard good things about it.

the only non-stop other than the 9 am gets me in at 9 pm which is too late for us and does not leave a good margin of error if something happens to the flight schedule.

Just now, DaKahuna said:

I’d be interested in how you like the Le Meridien.  We have heard good things about it.

the only non-stop other than the 9 am gets me in at 9 pm which is too late for us and does not leave a good margin of error if something happens to the flight schedule.

I found the option to stay for 33k points vs almost $290 too irresistible. First I thought I'd book a hotel with a washing machine to get a last refresh of my laundry (already on the road for a few weeks) but I guess I'll use my complimentary laundry this time. The prices for hotels in this area have gone completely nuts.

This is the second last flight on Air Canada to FLL with an 8 pm arrival. Hope all goes well.

• Like 1

Flight boarded rather quickly, departed gate 5 minutes early, and arrived at FLL 30 minutes early.  Favor lay winds and smooth almost the whole way. 

Our bags were in the first 20 bags to come through baggage claim, 8 minute wait for Lyft XL, and normal drive to the hotel.  

For the first time in a very long time there was no crowd in the lobby and we got our room right away.  

Am posting this from our room on the 12th floor while my DW is ‘fleshing up’ and then we are headed off to lunch.  We have a 1:15 pm reservation at the Boatyard but looks like we are going to get there a little earlier than that.   The front desk even gave me a coupon good for a complementary drink, with entree, for the Boatyard.   Let’s get this vacation underway!

• Like 4

Looking forward to following along, we will be on the Millie for the first time this summer on a SB from Seward so it will be nice to hear your impressions of the ship.  We have sailed the Summit so we have a little idea what to expect.  What type of cabin will you be sailing in?  Looks like your trip is off to a great start already, enjoy FL today!

We are back from lunch at the Boatyard.  Wonderful as always. 

I started with a Ron Zacapa Old Fashioned and the DW had a Moscato

We started with the Calamari and the DW had a fish sandwich, which was mani-mani today, and I had the shrimp po-boy and we decided to have fries with our sandwiches and share a side order of cole slaw. 

We finished with a Long Island Ice Tea for me and a refill of the Moscoto for her. 

She’s now napping and I am about to join her.  Did not sleep well in the strange bed last night and it was an early, 0500, reveille this morning. 

Something tells me the hotel bar is on tonight’s agenda. 

Wanted to report what you have been missing out today in northern Virginia.

It has been warm at 30 degrees Celsius. Pollen is bad. There was a bourbon drop at DC Costco. I’m ready to get off work in 89 minutes.

• Haha 1

Aloha. Always enjoy your reports. Have a great time and if you don’t mind, please post food pictures lol. We love Celebrity having sailed in their first ships decades ago and many thereafter. Have sailed in the Millennium several times including Europe. enjoy!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We are back from lunch at the Boatyard.  Wonderful as always. 

I started with a Ron Zacapa Old Fashioned and the DW had a Moscato

We started with the Calamari and the DW had a fish sandwich, which was mani-mani today, and I had the shrimp po-boy and we decided to have fries with our sandwiches and share a side order of cole slaw. 

We finished with a Long Island Ice Tea for me and a refill of the Moscoto for her. 

She’s now napping and I am about to join her.  Did not sleep well in the strange bed last night and it was an early, 0500, reveille this morning. 

Something tells me the hotel bar is on tonight’s agenda. 

John

Nice to see The Boatyard had Zacapa 23.

I couldn’t help noticing Total Wine (just down the street from the Renaissance) is showing (on line with availability in the store), a 750ml bottle of Zacapa 23 for $39.99 and a 1 litre bottle for $89.99. It’s been showing this pricing for a while, so if that is not an incorrect pricing issue, you might consider re-stocking your bar at home….unless it’s priced the same way at your local Total Wine.

Have a Great Trip.

Randy

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have only know it as Boatyard.  It is on 17th street, at the back of the large parking lot next to the Renaissance hotel. 

https://boatyard.restaurant/

Yes, that’s it.  They must have shortened the name, been going there for years.  Maybe they still have it, a lovely Sunday brunch. I even have a tee shirt, but who doesn’t!  🙃. In celebration, one day, we downed one too many margaritas there after buying a Tiara at Bertram Marine that was a few doors down the channel.  

• Like 1

Another cool bar is the Southport Raw Bar.  It’s all the way at the west end of the channel that Boatyard sits on.  It’s a Lauderdale classic joint.  Nothing fancy, but a fun historical locale,   If you have no dinner plans, check it out.  http://www.southportrawbar.com/index.html

Edited by capsplace
  • Thanks 1

the whole 17th St area has so many dining and drinking  options..close to port.   we enjoy staying there.

we are priced out of there for our next cruise and will try Dania..got something for under $300..and that was a bit of luck!  hotel prices are insane!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

John

Nice to see The Boatyard had Zacapa 23.

I couldn’t help noticing Total Wine (just down the street from the Renaissance) is showing (on line with availability in the store), a 750ml bottle of Zacapa 23 for $39.99 and a 1 litre bottle for $89.99. It’s been showing this pricing for a while, so if that is not an incorrect pricing issue, you might consider re-stocking your bar at home….unless it’s priced the same way at your local Total Wine.

Have a Great Trip.

Randy

Randy,  I asked if they had Ron Zacapa and was told yes so I ordered it.  Was very tasty.

That is a good price, if that is still the price.  I believe it is $43.99 in our local ABC store in Virginia.  If I did not have two 1-liter bottles at home I would be temped.

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

the whole 17th St area has so many dining and drinking  options..close to port.   we enjoy staying there.

we are priced out of there for our next cruise and will try Dania..got something for under $300..and that was a bit of luck!  hotel prices are insane!

Yes, We are using Bonvoy points left over from my years of traveling for work.  

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, We are using Bonvoy points left over from my years of traveling for work.  

Just booked for next March also using Bonvoy points.  Rate was $377, or 45,000 points.  Booked with points now, will change to use a redemption night for 40k and add 5k points to it after I earn that award later this year.  Never been at this location, but looking forward to it after reading your comments.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

Just booked for next March also using Bonvoy points.  Rate was $377, or 45,000 points.  Booked with points now, will change to use a redemption night for 40k and add 5k points to it after I earn that award later this year.  Never been at this location, but looking forward to it after reading your comments.

We quite enjoy it and it seems to be very popular with other cruisers.  My DW and I were talking over lunch about the difference checking in on a week day versus a weekend.  The last four or five times we have been here on to check in on a Friday or Saturday we have had to wait for our rooms to be ready.  Today we had no wait at all and was even changed from two queens to a king bed, which is our preference.  

The hotel is in a very good location, 2.1 miles by car from Terminal 25, and has a lot of near-by locations for food and beverage, plus there is a canal that has some very nice boats nearby if you like looking at those ‘play toys of the rich.’

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1