Brightline Train-more info please

kelkel2

If you survive the exit from the moving train you will likely need some form of medical attention....pretty sure your ship will not allow you to board.

As I remember, one way tickets from West Palm Beach to Orlando start at $79.  Typically there are 'special offers' that change standard pricing.

We decided to do the Brightline from Orlando to Miami. Then walk a couple blocks to he FREE prople moner and ride to the Brickell Station. Where we can transfer to the FREE Coral Way Trolley, that will drop us off at the cruise port. 

Plus we will do it the day of sailing. Trains run about every hour so give us time for breakfast in Orlando and lunch on the ship

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a heads-up to anyone who has already booked Brightline to/from Orlando beginning September 1:  they have sent out notices via email and/or text according to https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2023/08/07/brightline-delays-orlando-trips-cancels-bookings-intended-to-start-sept-1/:

“Your trip is canceled and we want to provide you with as much notice as possible so you can adjust your plans,” the message says.

“We’re working hard to launch service for Brightline Orlando station but will not be operating September 1 as planned,” the notice says. “We’re in the final stages of certification and will announce a confirmed opening date soon.”

The earliest date available that I saw on Brightline’s online schedule is September 15th but I'm not sure I would count on that.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:19 AM, capriccio said:

Just a heads-up to anyone who has already booked Brightline to/from Orlando beginning September 1:  they have sent out notices via email and/or text according to https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2023/08/07/brightline-delays-orlando-trips-cancels-bookings-intended-to-start-sept-1/:

“Your trip is canceled and we want to provide you with as much notice as possible so you can adjust your plans,” the message says.

“We’re working hard to launch service for Brightline Orlando station but will not be operating September 1 as planned,” the notice says. “We’re in the final stages of certification and will announce a confirmed opening date soon.”

The earliest date available that I saw on Brightline’s online schedule is September 15th but I'm not sure I would count on that.

I heard about that too.  A shame for the people who were planning on early September trips, for whatever reasons.

According to Orlando WESH2 news, there are currently no plans to build a station anywhere near the port. Rumors are swirling, however, that Brightline has purchased a lot of acreage next to the US 1 exit off 528. This would be about 7 miles from the port. Plenty of room for buses to pickup/drop-off cruise passengers. Keep your fingers crossed!

On 8/18/2023 at 8:48 PM, jordanaire said:

According to Orlando WESH2 news, there are currently no plans to build a station anywhere near the port. Rumors are swirling, however, that Brightline has purchased a lot of acreage next to the US 1 exit off 528. This would be about 7 miles from the port. Plenty of room for buses to pickup/drop-off cruise passengers. Keep your fingers crossed!

Would Brightline have to build track to the port?  Or is there existing track they own that they could update and use?

5 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Would Brightline have to build track to the port?  Or is there existing track they own that they could update and use?

Chances of going directly to the port are very, very slim as bridges across the Indian River and Banana River would have to be built for the rail lines. The existing rails are built as far east as possible without any bridges. 

• Like 1

wrt the land purchase and station plans

the topic came up in local paper a while back and turns out the land was purchased for 'fill purposes'

BL needs 'fill' and one can not simply buy land and dig a big hole for dirt .... BUT if one buys land for purpose of building homes they can dig a big hole and call it a lake and reuse the 'dirt' aka fill at other places/projects . . . 

obviously fake news .....

the tracks in this area run just west US-1 until 'the big turn' to the west towards MCO following the general lay of SR-528. The purchased land was said to be in the area of the big turn so about 9 miles from the port, again generally following 528. There is ZERO discussion of a track system to the port. At one time a rail line for container traffic was proposed but the port does so little container traffic and the issue of bridges and other environmental stuff saw this discussion die years ago . . .

I agree that there is little chance of rail construction to the port.  I did read recently that a BL stop is definitely planned for Brevard County.  This would enable cruise folks to use Uber/Lyft to get to their ship.

Althought I have not tried it, I have read that BL already offers a free shuttle from their Miami station to the POM.

Something like that could possibly happen at a BL station in Brevard County.

We had BL booked for our cruise. Now we had to switch to Amtrak. ORL to MIA is half the BL economy (smart fare).. BL could of got us there morning of cruise day. But no BL means 5 hours on Amtrak compared to 4 hours on BL. We have two weeks on a ship. Maybe BL will FINALLY be CERTIFIED to operate by the time we return to Miami. Otherwise we have Amtrak as a backup, if need be

On 8/22/2023 at 1:49 AM, Hangman115 said:

We had BL booked for our cruise. Now we had to switch to Amtrak. ORL to MIA is half the BL economy (smart fare).. BL could of got us there morning of cruise day. But no BL means 5 hours on Amtrak compared to 4 hours on BL. We have two weeks on a ship. Maybe BL will FINALLY be CERTIFIED to operate by the time we return to Miami. Otherwise we have Amtrak as a backup, if need be

Why not just use one of the many luxury bus services?

I'm struggling to see the value in Brightline, especially for those that live here, but the trains supposedly fill up. So that's good.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:19 AM, capriccio said:

The delay continues.  Today's update as reported on https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2023/08/30/brightline-again-delays-orlando-trips-will-refund-ticket-purchases-for-rides-through-sept-21/

Brightline, the higher speed South Florida rail service, announced another delay Wednesday of the launch of its 170-mile extension to Orlando from West Palm Beach, and will again refund tickets, this time for rides scheduled for between Sept. 7-21.

“Thank you for booking tickets to be part of the initial rides between South Florida and Orlando — we’re close to identifying a start date, but we’ve added a few more days to our work schedule to complete the final stages of certification and testing,” the company told would-be riders in an email early Wednesday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

This e-mail notice was sent  out on 9/13/2023

GRAND OPENING SEPTEMBER 22.

Brightline Orlando Station opens on Friday, September 22, 2023. Now you’re closer than ever to all the best of Florida – from Orlando’s attractions to South Florida's beaches and cruise ports.

• Thanks 1