Jersey Boys

maggieq

It's been on since launch, and the Bliss went for dry-dock in 2021 (listed as 'refurbished' in 2021, I'm assuming that's what they mean there, she launched in 2018 and statutory dry-docks are required every 5 years) those dry-docks are usually when a major show change would be done as they need the time to swap out the sets from the theater.

by the way, i dont want to be a debby downer, but we were on the bliss last aug and went to see this show, we've seen it in  the theater a few times and also watched the movie. it almost follows the movie scene by scene, the acoustics  were lousy, i wasnt overly impressed by the singers,  and we walked out. much better show with a great WOW! factor is SIX.

by the way, frankie valli he ain't!

We enjoyed Jersey Boys more than Six on the Bliss.  Both good shows so just a function of individual preference.  Thought I would like Six a lot more than I actually did.  Saw Jersey Boys on Broadway years ago and,  of course, the quality was better there as one would expect.

• Like 2

@hallux
 At the Q and A with the captain and officers on the Bliss, the captain reported that the pandemic impacted the Bliss’ schedule and she went into dry dock in Marseilles for 3 days during Covid and will not have her major dry dock until 2025. 

The duration of Broadway shows is not based on ship’s dry dock schedules. Rather, the shows are licensed for a set number of years. NCL can terminate the shows before the license ends if the shows are too difficult to maintain due to cast, sets, costumes or extra staff (such as a wig person being needed for Kinky Boots) as well as feedback from guests.

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

by the way, i dont want to be a debby downer, but we were on the bliss last aug and went to see this show, we've seen it in  the theater a few times and also watched the movie. it almost follows the movie scene by scene, the acoustics  were lousy, i wasnt overly impressed by the singers,  and we walked out. much better show with a great WOW! factor is SIX.

I agree.  The first time I saw Jersey Boys on the Bliss last year it was okay.  This past March it was awful. It was the lead performer’s first night with the existing cast and the show was clunky, awkward and boring.  It was so bad I didn’t even write about it in my review because I was worried the review was becoming too negative.  I’ve seen it on other ships and on Broadway and enjoyed the other performances so much more.

• Like 1

The new cast has been rehearsing in NCL’s creative studios in Miami. When they board they will do a couple of on set rehearsals then they will be ready to go.    Many cast members of Six have been going between the Breakaway and the Bliss.  

Edited by YVRteacher

Just an interesting fact: when the cast of Six needs space to rehearse and the theatre is being used for something else, the stage manager books the crew bar for them (during the day.)

Edited by YVRteacher

On 4/23/2023 at 3:09 PM, complawyer said:

We walked out, too. It was awful.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:08 PM, YVRteacher said:

@hallux
 At the Q and A with the captain and officers on the Bliss, the captain reported that the pandemic impacted the Bliss’ schedule and she went into dry dock in Marseilles for 3 days during Covid and will not have her major dry dock until 2025. 

The duration of Broadway shows is not based on ship’s dry dock schedules. Rather, the shows are licensed for a set number of years. NCL can terminate the shows before the license ends if the shows are too difficult to maintain due to cast, sets, costumes or extra staff (such as a wig person being needed for Kinky Boots) as well as feedback from guests.

While it is true that shows normally are licensed for 5 years, that was to coincide with major dry docks when new shows were installed. On some ships, that has included opening the hulls of the ship to get set pieces off/on the ships. The pandemic kinda screwed up both dry docks and show licensing. 

• 7 months later...

I am on the Bliss now and saw the show last night.  It was 2 hours and fabulous.  The cast was great and the “Frankie Valle” was as close to sounding like the “real thing “ as you could get.  I can’t rave about it enough.  We will probably go see it again.  It is a “must see” on the Bliss.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ellaleah said:

I am on the Bliss now and saw the show last night.  It was 2 hours and fabulous.  The cast was great and the “Frankie Valle” was as close to sounding like the “real thing “ as you could get.  I can’t rave about it enough.  We will probably go see it again.  It is a “must see” on the Bliss.

Good to hear! I’m on the Bliss in 2 weeks and love Frankie!

11 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

We sailed first week of November and the show was one of the best we’ve seen.  Agree, Frankie Valle was a stand out, and the rest of the cast were just as amazing.  Do not miss.

• Like 2

Just now, schmoopie17 said:

Love "Jersey Boys". We've seen it a couple of times...once on the Bliss and once on dry land. We also saw the real Frankie Valli in concert a few months ago on his 89th birthday. Still fantastic...

WOW...he's still performing.  Great!

I too have seen Jersey Boys touring company and the show on the Bliss.  Loved them both.

• Like 1