First impressions of our first Oceania cruise

DCGuy64

2 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

@DCGuy64, I'm always curious when O is compared to NCL Haven.  Although I've never cruised with NCL, it seems like such a disconnect to me.  Perhaps one can compare the "egalitarian" dining options of O vs the exclusive Haven options, but - for us - the size of the NCL ships is a major factor to consider.  I think our main reason for finding and sticking with O is their smaller ships.  Is that not an issue for you?

@YoPhilly Hope you are well.  I know the NCL Haven very well.  I wrote the op-ed on CruiseCritic.com 5 years ago called, The Secrets of the NCL Haven VIP experience.  It was updated in 2021.  I only share this fact because I can give you a comparison of another experience I had and feel very confident it will be my upcoming experience on my 10 day Oceania Cruise in November.  It will also give you my reason's for selecting Oceania.  

The Haven concept is called a "Ship-With-In-A-Ship".  This is very similar to the Celebrity Retreat and the MSC Yacht Club. Suites only Dining Room that most feel are better then specialty restaurants; Suites only pool, hot tubs, bars, lounges, observation area and sundecks.  The Haven has a Butler of sorts.  The key is much less crowded, easy to find a lounge chair by the pool or hot tub, the staff is usually the best-of-the-best to earn the right to be their.  There are a few more amenities but I think you get the idea.  The best Haven's are on the Bigger, newer ships.  This allows you to have water slides, go-carts, Lasor tag and other area's with everyone on the ship and a very exclusive private place to go when you want privacy.  

When you go on a ship like that are Premium-Plus or Luxury like Oceania or my reference which was the old Crystal Cruises, the moment the guest leave their room, every guest is treated the same with very few exceptions.  My term is "Haven on Steroid".  You have complementary laundry and laundry facilities on most decks; Complementary soft drinks in the stateroom mini fridge; Upgraded bath amenities; Access to all the specialty restaurants with on guarantied reservation for each and waitlist on other nights; Dinning is better (remember food is relative); Smaller ships that go to more port intensive itinerary; traditionally better personalized service.  The real key difference is everyone is treated the same because that is the model.  

I choose Oceania over the Haven for my Mediterranean Cruise because I wanted a laid back cruise since I will be doing a lot of walking at the ports.  When I was on Crystal Cruises, it was way to low key for me at the time.  It was not port intensive, we missed a bunch of ports so lots of sea day.  Not the right ship or brand to be on for that type of trip.  My understanding is the entertainment is not as good on Oceania which is understandable.  Give and take just know what you are getting.  

Now I don't mean to be confusing with my outline.  My biggest complaint with the Haven, Retreat or Yacht Club was when you leave it, the quality and experience is different.  The consistent treatment was on outside the exclusive area.  

Remembering my experience is with the Haven per your comment and not with Oceania.  For my wife and I it is kind of like.  Some nights you want Prime Rib and other nights you want Seafood.  Both are good all you have to know is what your want your over all experience to be.  Hope all this makes sense. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

When you go on a ship like that are Premium-Plus or Luxury like Oceania or my reference which was the old Crystal Cruises, the moment the guest leave their room, every guest is treated the same with very few exceptions.  My term is "Haven on Steroid".  You have complementary laundry and laundry facilities on most decks; Complementary soft drinks in the stateroom mini fridge; Upgraded bath amenities; Access to all the specialty restaurants with on guarantied reservation for each and waitlist on other nights; Dinning is better (remember food is relative); Smaller ships that go to more port intensive itinerary; traditionally better personalized service.  The real key difference is everyone is treated the same because that is the model.  

Now I don't mean to be confusing with my outline.  My biggest complaint with the Haven, Retreat or Yacht Club was when you leave it, the quality and experience is different.  The consistent treatment was on outside the exclusive area.  

Remembering my experience is with the Haven per your comment and not with Oceania.  For my wife and I it is kind of like.  Some nights you want Prime Rib and other nights you want Seafood.  Both are good all you have to know is what your want your over all experience to be.  Hope all this makes sense. 

I think you nailed it.

You are still on a big ship, with all the crowds, lines, children etc. once you step outside your little "Haven". You still spend much more time getting off and on the ship. You still share the ports with 5,000+ people.

What if you meet some nice people and want to have dinner together? They cannot go to your little "Haven", so you cannot dine together.

Personally, I don't go back to the big ships (unless with our kids and grandkids).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

@DCGuy64, I'm always curious when O is compared to NCL Haven.  Although I've never cruised with NCL, it seems like such a disconnect to me.  Perhaps one can compare the "egalitarian" dining options of O vs the exclusive Haven options, but - for us - the size of the NCL ships is a major factor to consider.  I think our main reason for finding and sticking with O is their smaller ships.  Is that not an issue for you?

Actually, believe it or not, I missed the larger ships. There was just more to do. Let me give a few examples. On the Oceania ship, there were essentially 2 bars: Martinis and Horizons. Martinis should be called Martiny's, because it was VERY small. Horizons was quite big, and I loved its location due to it being at the front of the ship with an expansive view outside. But it just felt very dull and quiet. Our last cruise before this one was on the Norwegian Epic. The first day onboard we met other passengers and did a pub crawl. We started in O'Sheehan's and then went to Shakers, the Atrium Bar and Maltings. I really loved that. Also, the Nautica is a beautiful ship, but there are really only a few decks to discover. The NCL ships have many, many decks and I suppose I just like having a large variety of places to discover. I was disappointed by the lack of a thermal spa area like NCL has. I always say "to each his own" and by no means do I think everyone else's tastes are, or should be, the same as mine. But after talking with my wife, we've decided that we're still a bit too young for the more staid, relaxed vibe on Oceania. Maybe in 10 years. We like things a little more lively than that, and I in particular like having a large variety of watering holes on board. By the same token, we're over the party ship atmosphere on Carnival (although I actually loved our 2 Carnival cruises). NCL and MSC seem to be the Goldilocks, "just right"  model for us, neither too rowdy nor too sleepy. I hope that makes sense.

• Thanks 1

Comparing to the above posts, we don’t see life as “ either/or” as some obviously do. We sometimes enjoy going to big wine festivals with lots of diverse wineries, large festive crowds, and lots of varied entertainment. Sometimes we enjoy the small exclusive tastings of fewer wines and fewer people.

Cruise ships can be the same. Some can easily become bored of the sleepy ships with almost no energy and the same limited restaurants. Sometimes a much more vibrant atmosphere and selection are craved.

We don’t always do anything. That includes cruising on the same ships or cruise lines. 

• Like 5

Quick question

Because  we do not sail on the main stream lines

What is a Thermal spa  area that people mention??

We did sail on HAL back in 2015  & there was an indoor pool  that you had to pay extra to use  it that the Thermal spa ?

18 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

... Our last cruise before this one was on the Norwegian Epic. The first day onboard we met other passengers and did a pub crawl. We started in O'Sheehan's and then went to Shakers, the Atrium Bar and Maltings. I really loved that....

Having done that in my college days nearly 40 years ago, a hard pass on "pub crawls". I'd like to not have a hangover when I do my excursion first thing the next morning. And you pay for that alcohol on O. Thankfully O allows me to bring my own alcohol on board, which I can enjoy in my cabin before I go to bed. To each their own.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Quick question

Because  we do not sail on the main stream lines

What is a Thermal spa  area that people mention??

We did sail on HAL back in 2015  & there was an indoor pool  that you had to pay extra to use  it that the Thermal spa ?

@LHT28 My pleasure to answer this for you.  The Thermal Spa is an indoor area usually located in the ship Spa.  It usually on Mainstream Cruises has a cost for day or the entire time you are on the ship.  It usually is restricted to adults.  The main attraction is a HUGE indoor water Spa that is similar to a very powerful jet hot tub.  In addition it has Sauna, Steam and sometimes salt rooms.  Add to this those lovely tile loungers that are heated.  

Those items are often found on Premium-Plus, Luxury and Ultra-Luxury ships at no cost.  With the exception of that huge indoor hot tub.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MEFIowa said:

Having done that in my college days nearly 40 years ago, a hard pass on "pub crawls". I'd like to not have a hangover when I do my excursion first thing the next morning. And you pay for that alcohol on O. Thankfully O allows me to bring my own alcohol on board, which I can enjoy in my cabin before I go to bed. To each their own.

The Norwegian Epic cruise I referenced was a 9-day transatlantic crossing with only 2 ports of call, both of which were skipped due to issues outside the cruise line's control. So there were no excursions to be affected by a hangover. But I get what you're saying. NCL also allows you to bring your own alcohol on board (beer and wine, anyway, including champagne). And there's no corkage fee if you have one of the all-inclusive drink packages, which we always get. There are many differences, but surely one of them is cost: we'd pay easily 2x as much on Oceania as NCL for equivalent sailings, but NCL gives us free drinks anywhere, anytime, whereas Oceania makes us pay for all cocktails out of pocket and beer/wine are free only at mealtimes in the restaurants. Even the Oceania BOGO deal requires you to get the same drink, and again it's only 2 hours a day: 5-6 pm and 10:30-11:30. Given the higher price tag, that seems rather stingy to me. This is why I like the cruise industry, because things would be boring if every line were a carbon copy of all the others.

Happy to be on O where I dont have to pay for others to drink. We dont drink anything alcoholic. So that side of cruising has no interest to us at all. Never developed a taste for wine or beer. Nope. 

As for things to do, the O ships, no matter the size keep us quite busy with all kinds of activities. On the last cruise in Jan, on the Riviera, people were so friendly, I gave up time to the activities in favour of socializing. 

We dont find it sleepy. But if you dont drink, you have a very different perspective on what is fun and what is sleepy. I really dont understand how others can spend so much time at the bars, always a drink in hand. But I know we are in the minority.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Actually, believe it or not, I missed the larger ships. There was just more to do. Let me give a few examples. On the Oceania ship, there were essentially 2 bars: Martinis and Horizons. Martinis should be called Martiny's, because it was VERY small. Horizons was quite big, and I loved its location due to it being at the front of the ship with an expansive view outside. But it just felt very dull and quiet. Our last cruise before this one was on the Norwegian Epic. The first day onboard we met other passengers and did a pub crawl. We started in O'Sheehan's and then went to Shakers, the Atrium Bar and Maltings. I really loved that. Also, the Nautica is a beautiful ship, but there are really only a few decks to discover. The NCL ships have many, many decks and I suppose I just like having a large variety of places to discover. I was disappointed by the lack of a thermal spa area like NCL has. I always say "to each his own" and by no means do I think everyone else's tastes are, or should be, the same as mine. But after talking with my wife, we've decided that we're still a bit too young for the more staid, relaxed vibe on Oceania. Maybe in 10 years. We like things a little more lively than that, and I in particular like having a large variety of watering holes on board. By the same token, we're over the party ship atmosphere on Carnival (although I actually loved our 2 Carnival cruises). NCL and MSC seem to be the Goldilocks, "just right"  model for us, neither too rowdy nor too sleepy. I hope that makes sense.

I get it.  O is a very quiet, laid-back experience, and I understand that's not everyone's vibe.

• Like 1

Here's what I wrote:

My wife and I booked this cruise in February 2022 after receiving a brochure from my university's alumni association. This was our first cruise with Oceania. It definitely won't be our last, but we will likely wait a few years. The Nautica is a beautiful ship, absolutely gleaming with high-end fixtures and appointments like rolled towels and marble in the bathrooms and immaculate hallways. The bed was heavenly, hands down the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The itinerary was a 10-day cruise to ports in Japan, with one stop in Busan, South Korea. We loved the ports and the Japanese people were incredibly kind and welcoming. Onboard the ship, we enjoyed breakfast in the Grand Dining room a few times, otherwise we ate in the Terrace Cafe. Afternoon tea in the Horizons Lounge was a wonderful treat, complete with string quartet music in the background. They seemed a bit stingy on the clotted cream so we had to ask for more, but the tea, sandwiches and desserts were scrumptious. I had my requisite 2 cappuccinos every morning at Baristas, which was almost always very busy. Lunch was normally taken on land, but we ate dinner every night but one on the ship. Toscana was quite delicious, but the presentation of various olive oils and balsamic vinegars was unnecessary. The Polo Grill was disappointing. My filet mignon was served very overcooked: I'd requested rare and it arrived medium. I sent it back and the second time was much better, but in the meantime I sat and ate my lobster mac and cheese. The steak was decent, but not as tender as I expected. The dinners in the GDR were sometimes excellent (beef carpaccio and lobster bisque were wonderful), but some items like shrimp cocktail were boring. I'm not a seafood eater for the most part, and clearly Oceania boasts lots of fancy seafood dishes which neither I nor my wife eat. We also don't like truffles or mushrooms and those are also featured prominently. My favorite entree was the sirloin steak I had on the last night. Staff was mostly very friendly and knew our names right away. The Romanian maitre d' got us into Toscana a 2nd time even though they'd been full earlier in the day. A lovely Filipina woman named Aye was in a bubbly mood all of the time. We enjoyed speaking Spanish with Elder, a Honduran waiter, and I became fast friends with Mustafa and Blessing at Baristas. Some other staff seemed a bit down and quiet. I didn't like having to wait for silverware or condiments at the Terrace Cafe. I also didn't like the fact that cocktails were not included and the buy one, get one has to be for the same drink and only for 2 hours a day. There was no spa onboard (in terms of a large pool and hot tub such as on other lines). The gym was nice but rather small. We didnt get any spa treatments due to the very high cost. Instead we went to a Japanese onsen and had massages in Nagasaki for $80 for two. We usually went to bed early since we spent all day in port so we didn't avail ourselves of any shows. We did catch the Abba tribute on the last night, which was great. The band that played during happy hour was outstanding. We loved the launderette and used it several times, that was an excellent part of our trip. Less excellent was that our room service order form wasn't replaced after we used it, the breakfast we ordered one morning was delivered by a rather sullen-looking gentleman and there was no cream for my coffee. Another room service meal was missing some items. Our inside cabin was located across the hall from a crew pantry and we heard banging and bumping at inopportune times. A dirty martini I ordered came back warm and utterly lacking any olive juice flavor. I brought up these concerns on a postcard survey mid-voyage and received a phone call, then met with, the bar manager. They'd also slightly overcharged me at the bar. I was impressed that the manager took time to meet with me. Another time, the sommelier at our table informed my 5 non-drinking friends that he only took alcohol orders, so they had to flag down someone else for their iced tea. That really shouldn't have happened. All in all, the vibe onboard is VERY relaxed. Most of the other passengers seemed to be retired folk in their 60s, 70s and 80s. My wife and I both work full time so we tend to choose our vacations wisely since we have limited time. The Nautica is a lovely ship with many good things, but the missteps and the slow vibe mean we will likely cruise with other lines for the time being.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 4

I must also add that our cruise director, Peter Tredgett, was outstanding. It's hard for me to think of a better CD, he was so energetic and informative, but most of all, friendly! One evening he must have spent 1/2 an hour chatting with me and my wife, and I know he had other things to do. He was absolutely charming and personable. I hope we have the opportunity to be on another ship when he's working.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Happy to be on O where I dont have to pay for others to drink. We dont drink anything alcoholic. So that side of cruising has no interest to us at all. Never developed a taste for wine or beer. Nope. 

As for things to do, the O ships, no matter the size keep us quite busy with all kinds of activities. On the last cruise in Jan, on the Riviera, people were so friendly, I gave up time to the activities in favour of socializing. 

We dont find it sleepy. But if you dont drink, you have a very different perspective on what is fun and what is sleepy. I really dont understand how others can spend so much time at the bars, always a drink in hand. But I know we are in the minority.

Yeah, I'd have to say that drinking is very popular on ships, so you are probably in the minority. That doesn't mean having to binge drink every day (although trust me when I say there are plenty of folk here on Cruise Critic who seem to revel in their boasting of how much alcohol they consume!). But having a cocktail by the pool and/or before dinner, along with a glass or two of wine at dinner can be a nice way of unwinding. As Frank Sinatra allegedly said, "I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day."

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

DC - many thanks for posting such an interesting review. With our Nautica cruise coming up in a few weeks, it's been a useful scene-setter.

best wishes from an oldster (72)

John

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harters said:

DC - many thanks for posting such an interesting review. With our Nautica cruise coming up in a few weeks, it's been a useful scene-setter.

best wishes from an oldster (72)

John

You're quite welcome. I hope you have a lovely time. The staff really is quite marvelous, always smiling and welcoming (well, except for 1 or 2, but that's OK). Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jonthomas said:

The most drunk Pax we've ever seen were on Princess. Not seen any one really drunk on O. That certainly doesn't mean there are none. I drink wine & an occasional mixed drink. My spouse really doesn't drink at all.  When seeing how many Pax say we drink to unwind. Really? On a cruise ship? You should be pretty unwound just being on board.We've done large ships & find many just don't have that attention to detail the smaller ones can have.

• Like 4

On 5/4/2023 at 7:19 AM, Sthrngary said:

@LHT28 My pleasure to answer this for you.  The Thermal Spa is an indoor area usually located in the ship Spa.  It usually on Mainstream Cruises has a cost for day or the entire time you are on the ship.  It usually is restricted to adults.  The main attraction is a HUGE indoor water Spa that is similar to a very powerful jet hot tub.  In addition it has Sauna, Steam and sometimes salt rooms.  Add to this those lovely tile loungers that are heated.  

Those items are often found on Premium-Plus, Luxury and Ultra-Luxury ships at no cost.  With the exception of that huge indoor hot tub.  

Viking Cruises offers a lovely thermal spa, as well as sauna and ice room, hot tub, loungers free of charge in their spa area. We thoroughly enjoyed this benefit a few times. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Viking Cruises offers a lovely thermal spa, as well as sauna and ice room, hot tub, loungers free of charge in their spa area. We thoroughly enjoyed this benefit a few times. 

that is the only thing good about Viking, awful food...boring lectures, nothing else to do...just off april 3....

On Oceania O class ships   the saunas & heated chairs are open to all 

R ships  saunas/steam room  (?) only  also open to all

The Spa deck  with the  hot tub/T pool & loungers  require  a room key from  A cabins & above  or  a paid pass

Not sure how much different they are to other spa areas

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:35 PM, ak1004 said:

You still spend much more time getting off and on the ship.

No, NCL Haven passengers spend much less time getting on and off the ship. In many embarkation ports it starts with a private security line and private check in lounge. 

You're escorted on and off the ship by the concierge staff. You're the first to board at your embarkation port and the first to disembark in both ports of call and at the cruise's end if that's your wish. You avoid the crowds by using private elevators, crew elevators or crew stairwells.

You only have a couple of hundred Haven passengers, many fewer than you have on Oceania's "R" ships.

What if you meet some nice people and want to have dinner together? They cannot go to your little "Haven", so you cannot dine together.

You usually can bring guests to dinner in the NCL Haven restaurant, but there is a fee for doing so.

You are still on a big ship, with all the crowds, lines

To some extent. yes. but you can avoid some of it with the concierge escort and reserved seating section for Haven passengers in the main theater. If you want to have dinner in one of the main dining rooms the concierge can make a reservation for you, and you won't have to deal with the lines. Sometimes the concierge can get you a specialty restaurant reservation when none are available to those not in the Haven.

Based on your listed cruise history and your inaccurate comments apparently you've never actually been a passenger in the NCL Haven.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Viking is in my opinion a Premium-Plus or Luxury (depending on who you talk to) brand.  I am not surprised this area is open to all passengers.  When you pay a little more than Main Stream, you deserve amenities like this.  In my opinion. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Based on your listed cruise history and your inaccurate comments apparently you've never actually been a passenger in the NCL Haven.

@njhorseman Your last comment above to responding to a post is not uncommon.  Many folks comment on the Haven, Retreat and Yacht Club based on a lack of full personal experience.  The was confirmed with the words, "Your Little Haven" by the poster.  I know for a fact, everything you said was accurate.  

Please making comments about cruise brands they have not traveled, class of suite they have never had the opportunity to stay in, are common place.  As you know because we have addressed each other comments on the NCL board, we both have personal experience on sharing our NCL Haven Experience.  Side note, I never and I mean never bring up the Haven on Reddit.  You get attacked. 

Here is the bottom line.  Whether Virgin, Viking, NCL Haven, Celebrity Retreat, MSC Yacht Club, Oceania or any other brand.  Variety is the spice of life. When I read folk that don't like a brand or cabin class, there are 10 more that love it.  What works for one, does not always work for all.  Each cabin type, brand have their pros/cons.  It is up to the guest to do their due diligence in making a selection based on lots of information especially when it is a brand new to them.  The second obligation is to always have "Realistic Expectations" so you can have those expectation exceeded.  

I hope that makes sense.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

As long as you have recently sailed on both Viking Ocean and Oceania.

If not then not sure what the opinion is based on.

Totally agreed.