Thumbs up to the P&O customer service roles

gary_w

Following the issues we had on K307 Arvia (the thread is long), I emailed P&O with a grumpy-gram about it and did not hear anything back, but today I got a phone call.

The experience was probably the best one I've ever had with customer service.  She did not try to tell me I was wrong and it didn't happen, she did not try to tell me I was the only one with a problem, she did not say the cruise had no problems.  She acknowledged the frustration, agreed that things were poorly done and needed to be resolved and explained that she is taking lists of issues back to the ships to ensure something gets done about it (I don't know if it will).

If I could name-drop her for a gold star I would but I don't know her name so I'll be positive that it is all P&O people.

This is the second time I had to deal with customer service-facing roles at P&O, the other is about me forgetting to organise parking and I have to say, dealing with these people is a pleasure.

I'm still not thrilled about how our cruise went but I do get the feeling that the people working at P&O care so a big thumbs up to them, and I hope that translates into the P&O wing of the megacorp that is Carnival making things better.

• Like 21

Not great to here about issues in the first place but so pleased the response was delivered well.

Issues and learnings really do get passed back to the ship. The captain gets copied along with head of department and relevant team members.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Very refreshing to hear that you’ve had a positive experience. I have always found the call centre staff who deal with bookings and questions to be fantastic. Sadly, on the few occasions that I’ve had to raise a compliant, the way that they have been dealt with has been appalling and left quite a bad taste in the mouth. Perhaps they are learning at last that customers should not be taken for granted. 

• Like 2

Same here. Unfortunately we had many gripes about our recent cruise on Ventura, 35 night to Caribbean, Mexico and US. Cuise was 2nd March to 6th April. On returning home I wrote a three page letter to P&O. Having not received a reply up until today my wife phone customer services. The guy was very helpful and gave us a reference for the complaint logged. He went into some detail which my wife said he could just have said "It's being dealt with"  and left it at that. I suppose the proof of the pudding will be the ultimate outcome. So I will not pass judgement just yet. 

4 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Same here. Unfortunately we had many gripes about our recent cruise on Ventura, 35 night to Caribbean, Mexico and US. Cuise was 2nd March to 6th April. On returning home I wrote a three page letter to P&O. Having not received a reply up until today my wife phone customer services. The guy was very helpful and gave us a reference for the complaint logged. He went into some detail which my wife said he could just have said "It's being dealt with"  and left it at that. I suppose the proof of the pudding will be the ultimate outcome. So I will not pass judgement just yet. 

My email was sent on 5th April and they called back on the 26th so it's looking at about a 21 day turn around

• Thanks 1

That is really lovely to hear such a positive response from a company that I have found to be incompetent in terms of dealing with issues that have been raised. But I’m so pleased they have been so good on this occasion. Good on them

• Like 1

I contacted P&O on Thursday to link 2 bookings and organise a gift for a friend onboard. I have to say whoever I spoke to was one of the friendliest people I have ever spoken to from any company. She was a credit to the company and gave me a few tips as well. So, well done P&O !

• Like 7

On 4/26/2023 at 3:02 PM, gary_w said:

Following the issues we had on K307 Arvia (the thread is long), I emailed P&O with a grumpy-gram about it and did not hear anything back, but today I got a phone call.

The experience was probably the best one I've ever had with customer service.  She did not try to tell me I was wrong and it didn't happen, she did not try to tell me I was the only one with a problem, she did not say the cruise had no problems.  She acknowledged the frustration, agreed that things were poorly done and needed to be resolved and explained that she is taking lists of issues back to the ships to ensure something gets done about it (I don't know if it will).

If I could name-drop her for a gold star I would but I don't know her name so I'll be positive that it is all P&O people.

This is the second time I had to deal with customer service-facing roles at P&O, the other is about me forgetting to organise parking and I have to say, dealing with these people is a pleasure.

I'm still not thrilled about how our cruise went but I do get the feeling that the people working at P&O care so a big thumbs up to them, and I hope that translates into the P&O wing of the megacorp that is Carnival making things better.

Good to hear of your Customer Experience because i have just returned from a week on the Iona for the first time since having a leg amputated and using a Rollator and the staff offer of help was basically non existent with lot'a of Passengers offering me help when they seen the staff offering none.

It will be good to see a company listening to customers complaints when something is not right rather just make excuses as i said to P&O in my complaint i have another cruise booked and paid for and if the service on the Britannia is the same practically non existent i will never book another cruise again with P&O or will they think though i didn't mention it will they think if they suddenly give me some more on board credit i will ignore all my complaints i won't be. I have always said i know the difference between 'giving; god service and 'saying' you give good service. In my case it was staff's lack of common sense you see someone struggling anywhere in life/situation you offer to help them i received  a total of 6 offers of help from staff on the Iona on a weeks cruise but numerous help from other Passengers who could see i had difficulty carrying things. As i said will be interesting to see if they take my complaints on board (no pun intended) or try to 'buy' my off with a extra bit of on board credit with for me no amount of on board credit would make me ignore the failings on the Iona and hope Passengers there to help me when i need it while staff offer no help.

I cruised with only P&O before becoming Disabled and would have recommended them to everyone but after my experience on the Iona if they do not change there ways i would not recommend anyone with a Disability travelling as a Solo Passenger.

The facts i have supplied them with, not just opinions proves how bad the service was so will be interesting to see what there reply is.

Well Done on receiving  good customer service and well done P&O for giving it and just not making up some excuse to 'cover there back'.

1 hour ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Good to hear of your Customer Experience because i have just returned from a week on the Iona for the first time since having a leg amputated and using a Rollator and the staff offer of help was basically non existent with lot'a of Passengers offering me help when they seen the staff offering none.

It will be good to see a company listening to customers complaints when something is not right rather just make excuses as i said to P&O in my complaint i have another cruise booked and paid for and if the service on the Britannia is the same practically non existent i will never book another cruise again with P&O or will they think though i didn't mention it will they think if they suddenly give me some more on board credit i will ignore all my complaints i won't be. I have always said i know the difference between 'giving; god service and 'saying' you give good service. In my case it was staff's lack of common sense you see someone struggling anywhere in life/situation you offer to help them i received  a total of 6 offers of help from staff on the Iona on a weeks cruise but numerous help from other Passengers who could see i had difficulty carrying things. As i said will be interesting to see if they take my complaints on board (no pun intended) or try to 'buy' my off with a extra bit of on board credit with for me no amount of on board credit would make me ignore the failings on the Iona and hope Passengers there to help me when i need it while staff offer no help.

I cruised with only P&O before becoming Disabled and would have recommended them to everyone but after my experience on the Iona if they do not change there ways i would not recommend anyone with a Disability travelling as a Solo Passenger.

The facts i have supplied them with, not just opinions proves how bad the service was so will be interesting to see what there reply is.

Well Done on receiving  good customer service and well done P&O for giving it and just not making up some excuse to 'cover there back'.

I don't know what they promised to provide when you submitted the form in advance of your cruise. Although the web site says they won't provide assistance ,we have seen staff, particularly carrying trays in the buffet to assist folk. I think their back is adequately covered by their T&C's and FAQ's ,but I'm sure the staff will help if you ask. Unfortunately in this litigious age companies need to be careful what assistance they provide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

That’s a great shame, as one of the reasons why we use P&O is that they deal with people with disabilities so well, far better in fact than other types of holiday. My wife is a full time wheelchair user and cruising is the only type of holiday where she feels safe and (mostly) comfortable.

From memory, P&O make it clear that anyone who needs assistance must travel with a carer to assist them and not rely on the staff. Obviously that is a challenge if you are solo and don’t have someone with you to assist. Even with a carer, certain things (such as getting onto the Promenade deck through heavy sprung doors and over thresholds) can still be problematic. Whilst there are rarely staff on hand to assist with such things when you need help, I always find that a kind hearted fellow passenger always offers to help, for which we are always most grateful. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That’s a great shame, as one of the reasons why we use P&O is that they deal with people with disabilities so well, far better in fact than other types of holiday. My wife is a full time wheelchair user and cruising is the only type of holiday where she feels safe and (mostly) comfortable.

From memory, P&O make it clear that anyone who needs assistance must travel with a carer to assist them and not rely on the staff. Obviously that is a challenge if you are solo and don’t have someone with you to assist. Even with a carer, certain things (such as getting onto the Promenade deck through heavy sprung doors and over thresholds) can still be problematic. Whilst there are rarely staff on hand to assist with such things when you need help, I always find that a kind hearted fellow passenger always offers to help, for which we are always most grateful. 

I understand your point but i wasn't looking for a 'carer' as i am very independent and many people have commented on my great attitude from the Consultant to neighbours doing thins for myself but it was the lack of indifference by the staff when i was struggling with carrying things numerous passengers helped me when they seen me struggling staff either didn't notice or couldn't be bothered. It's common sense/manners if you see someone struggling in a Supermarket or outdoors for any reason you offer to help them not ignore them and leave it to someone else to do it. Maybe it was as someone made the comment to me 'staff that do the absolute minimum in the job'.

Or as the lady who i spoke to who worked with people with Disabilities and Autism who told me how she always looked at the facilities available for the people she worked with wherever she went on holiday and being her first time cruising with P&O she would not recommend it to any of the people she works with in a professional capacity.

And from someone like myself who has spent most of there life donating £10,000's to Charities, Volunteering to help Children/Adults with Disabilities, Autism, Strokes, people living with Lifelong Conditions before i became Disabled myself i felt the lack of offer of help from staff was disgusting.

As i have always said i have never been Career Minded and when my life is coming to a end i won't be thinking how good i did climbing the 'Corporate Ladder' it will be happy to know i did my little bit to help others

everything was not 'whats in it for' . I have upset a few people over the years because i 'do' what is right not just talk about it and if anyone only 'says' the right thing but not 'do' the right thing and doesn't want me to 'do' the right thing cause it doesn't suit/benefit them tough.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I don't know what they promised to provide when you submitted the form in advance of your cruise. Although the web site says they won't provide assistance ,we have seen staff, particularly carrying trays in the buffet to assist folk. I think their back is adequately covered by their T&C's and FAQ's ,but I'm sure the staff will help if you ask. Unfortunately in this litigious age companies need to be careful what assistance they provide.

That is exactly what i was looking for simple things like carrying drinks or trays to a seat not staff running about waiting on me hand and foot as i am very independent and do the majority things for myself even the ones that are harder for me now.

It was just shocking how so many Passengers could see i needed a hand with something and helped me a couple even coming back to me and asking if they could get me anything before they left when staff were standing around offering no help at all.

As i said in my complaint to P&O this was not just my 'opinion' but when i was offered help by staff a total of 6 times in week is simply shocking.

They can 'say' how good they are at accommodating guests with Disabilities like myself but the facts show the real truth.

Like i always said in all walks of life 'Anybody can talk the Talk' but will they Walk the Walk' when it's needed. 

On 4/26/2023 at 3:06 PM, molecrochip said:

Not great to here about issues in the first place but so pleased the response was delivered well.

Issues and learnings really do get passed back to the ship. The captain gets copied along with head of department and relevant team members.

Good to hear the complaints get passed onto the relevant people on the ships because i learned the hard way the difference between the talk P&O say about assisting Passengers with Disabilities and the day to day assistance are worlds apart. They will not like my complain but it is the Truth the facts as i said to them not just my 'opinion'.

I had a little laugh to myself when they ask you to score each service on your recent trip and ask your permission to use your opinions for advertising materiel, they won't be using mine.  😁

18 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

I understand your point but i wasn't looking for a 'carer' as i am very independent and many people have commented on my great attitude from the Consultant to neighbours doing thins for myself but it was the lack of indifference by the staff when i was struggling with carrying things numerous passengers helped me when they seen me struggling staff either didn't notice or couldn't be bothered. It's common sense/manners if you see someone struggling in a Supermarket or outdoors for any reason you offer to help them not ignore them and leave it to someone else to do it. Maybe it was as someone made the comment to me 'staff that do the absolute minimum in the job'.

Or as the lady who i spoke to who worked with people with Disabilities and Autism who told me how she always looked at the facilities available for the people she worked with wherever she went on holiday and being her first time cruising with P&O she would not recommend it to any of the people she works with in a professional capacity.

And from someone like myself who has spent most of there life donating £10,000's to Charities, Volunteering to help Children/Adults with Disabilities, Autism, Strokes, people living with Lifelong Conditions before i became Disabled myself i felt the lack of offer of help from staff was disgusting.

As i have always said i have never been Career Minded and when my life is coming to a end i won't be thinking how good i did climbing the 'Corporate Ladder' it will be happy to know i did my little bit to help others

everything was not 'whats in it for' . I have upset a few people over the years because i 'do' what is right not just talk about it and if anyone only 'says' the right thing but not 'do' the right thing and doesn't want me to 'do' the right thing cause it doesn't suit/benefit them tough.

I didn’t mean to cause offence by using the term carer. What I was trying to say was that P&O make it very clear that anyone who needs assistance must not rely on staff and must travel with a companion who can assist them. That being said, there is absolutely no excuse for staff standing idle whilst someone is clearly struggling. 

We haven’t been on Iona yet, but we have been on around 20 P&O cruises, most of which have been since my wife became disabled, and we have never experienced any of the attitudes that you came across. in fact, quite the opposite. Some cruise reviews suggest that there may be staffing shortages on the larger ships or, more likely, P&O have decided to work on tighter staff ratios on these ships in order to improve profitability. We shall find out for ourselves when we are on Iona in August. 

It’s a shame if this has put you off cruising. I’d like to think that your poor experiences on Iona are not representative of the usual high levels of service that P&O provide to disabled passengers. Levels of assistance may be better on some of the smaller ships but, being older, they weren’t  constructed with the needs of disabled passengers taken into account in the same way as the newer ships, so present their own challenges. 

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I didn’t mean to cause offence by using the term carer. What I was trying to say was that P&O make it very clear that anyone who needs assistance must not rely on staff and must travel with a companion who can assist them. That being said, there is absolutely no excuse for staff standing idle whilst someone is clearly struggling. 

We haven’t been on Iona yet, but we have been on around 20 P&O cruises, most of which have been since my wife became disabled, and we have never experienced any of the attitudes that you came across. in fact, quite the opposite. Some cruise reviews suggest that there may be staffing shortages on the larger ships or, more likely, P&O have decided to work on tighter staff ratios on these ships in order to improve profitability. We shall find out for ourselves when we are on Iona in August. 

It’s a shame if this has put you off cruising. I’d like to think that your poor experiences on Iona are not representative of the usual high levels of service that P&O provide to disabled passengers. Levels of assistance may be better on some of the smaller ships but, being older, they weren’t  constructed with the needs of disabled passengers taken into account in the same way as the newer ships, so present their own challenges. 

On a recent P&O cruise a Lady in a mobility scooter refused to move into a wheelchair so that she could be helped on board. As 4 seamen manhandled her in her scooter up the gangplank I wondered what corporate HO would make of it.

I have been impressed by the care and assistance of staff on recent cruises, even staff with aprons emblazoned with "I am here to help" in the buffet. However, that is on the smaller ships so maybe another thing missing from the big ones. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think the carer comment refers to the need for assistance in your cabin, which would need to be provided by the passenger and not the cruise line.

However there should be a number of waiters in the buffet wearing "Can I help you" tabbards, and I have often seen them approach passengers with rollators or walking sticks, in the past, to offer their help, so it is disappointing if this is no longer available.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

On a recent P&O cruise a Lady in a mobility scooter refused to move into a wheelchair so that she could be helped on board. As 4 seamen manhandled her in her scooter up the gangplank I wondered what corporate HO would make of it.

Unfortunately, a very small number of disabled people have a sense of entitlement or ‘rights’ that must rub some of the crew up the wrong way when they are doing their level best to help. We have used some very steep ramps to get on and off ships, including last week when we were in Liverpool on QM2. Many organisations would say that it was too unsafe and those unable to walk on and off the ship unaided must remain on the ship. However, two members of staff got my wife on and off, one controlling the wheelchair and the other holding that persons back. We both always make a point of thanking them most sincerely as I know from experience that it’s really hard work. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

I have been impressed by the care and assistance of staff on recent cruises, even staff with aprons emblazoned with "I am here to help" in the buffet. However, that is on the smaller ships so maybe another thing missing from the big ones. 

That was a point also i did not understand about Iona in the Horizon Self Service Buffet they have staff  there wit the same aprons with Happy to Help on them and they did help me the both times i visited but in the Quays where you have the choice of different foods as a Buffet nothing like that. And with the Tea/Coffee being situated right down at the end i even had Passengers who had carried my food to wherever i wanted to sit asking me as they were leaving if they could get me anything before they went.

It was the simple lack of consideration from staff that shocked me when so many Passengers could see at times i was struggling to carry things and staff offered me no help.

6 offers of help on a weeks cruise shows the facts how bad there service is when i couldn't even guess the amount of good hearted  passengers helped me the second they noticed that no staff were offering any.

29 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Unfortunately, a very small number of disabled people have a sense of entitlement or ‘rights’ that must rub some of the crew up the wrong way when they are doing their level best to help. We have used some very steep ramps to get on and off ships, including last week when we were in Liverpool on QM2. Many organisations would say that it was too unsafe and those unable to walk on and off the ship unaided must remain on the ship. However, two members of staff got my wife on and off, one controlling the wheelchair and the other holding that persons back. We both always make a point of thanking them most sincerely as I know from experience that it’s really hard work. 

Good to know that there is staff on P&O who will do the right thing just like you thanked them though Iona is a no need to tip ship staff member that offered me help i gave a tip to because as i have always said i know the difference in 'giving' good service and 'saying' you give good service and have always appreciated 'good' service even long before i became Disabled myself. 

Should send those staff that helped you wife onto the Iona to teach there staff about considering other peoples wishes/needs. Yes there is times when something will be too dangerous but someone sitting in a office deciding what is and what is not is wrong.

As one of my T-Shirts has on the front of it say's Disability does not Mean Inability.

Yes there is things you cannot do but very few people what you can or can't do but too many who don't know decide for you.

6 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

As one of my T-Shirts has on the front of it say's Disability does not Mean Inability.

In all honesty, if I saw someone wearing a T-Shirt with that logo on it I would be fearful of offering them assistance, even if I felt that they needed it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Please don't feel you offended me with the use of the word 'carer' no offence taken maybe one day i may need one in the future but since having a Leg Amputated in 2019 i have been determined to do as much for myself as i can, as they say 'keep your independence'

When the Consultant in the hospital said to the Junior Doctors he was teaching i had a great determined  attitude to do as much for myself as i could my reply was more like stubborn and i have to admit it's true probably stubborn till i die. 

Take Care

Hope you enjoy your trip to Fjords, been there twice going back in June on Britannia hopefully with more considerate staff.

Look at Me i'm Happy.jpg

• Like 1