Opinions: San Pedro to LAX on a Sat.

JoRoy218

We’re on a CA Coastal out of San Pedro in June. Delta just changed our flight (again) out of LAX (from a good departure of 1215 to 1104). Never sailed out of San Pedro previously, curious how tight it may be to make this 1104 flight? We reserved spots on the shuttle to LAX but am now am thinking we should do rideshare or taxi instead. Appreciate any thoughts! 

I'm not an LA area resident, but I've taken the Princess transfer, public transit (with connections) and private car service (Uber/Taxi).  I think your best bet is to do a self walkoff and just get a taxi or uber service.  it may cost a bit more than the total price for the transfer for 2 people, but you'll get to the airport quicker and its peace of mind. 

If you take the transfer, you'll have to wait for the bus to load up and since Delta isn't the first terminal at LAX, you'll have to wait for at least one stop to unload some luggage off the bus at the airport.  

For a reference point for others, in 2017, I got off a short coastal cruise at 830, had bags and made my way to the nearest silver line express bus stop.  Caught the next bus, transferred to light rail at Harbor Beacon Station, and then did the LAX aviation station shuttle (which in 2017 was a mess and had a long wait).  I still made it to the terminal at 10:30am, early for a 1pm flight.  It was kind of a sojourn but it was all of $4 so it was fine.  With just a rollerbag, it was pretty easy - but I don't recommend it unless you feel comfortable navigating multiple transfers on public transit.

You never know about traffic and as mentioned you will have to wait till the shuttle is full before departing for the airport.  Just causes more stress.  As mentioned do the walk off and catch another mode of transportation to the airport.  Its doable. 

We had  an early disembarkation spot on a Thursday…may be different on weekends, but traffic was quite heavy. Used a porter to help get us through immigration and to the taxi rank.Taxi cost $68 plus tip to International terminal. Arrived about 9.40am before our check in opened at 10 am for a 13.55 departure. 
Be aware some gates are a very long way from security but free carts are offered to help cover the distance.

Thanks friends! Have decided to leave flight as is, do a self walk off and NOT do shuttle. It would drive me crazy waiting for it to fill up and depart.

You’ve convinced me it can work.  Have a good one! 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 12:15 PM, Reina del Mar said:

We had  an early disembarkation spot on a Thursday…may be different on weekends, but traffic was quite heavy. Used a porter to help get us through immigration and to the taxi rank.Taxi cost $68 plus tip to International terminal. Arrived about 9.40am before our check in opened at 10 am for a 13.55 departure. 
Be aware some gates are a very long way from security but free carts are offered to help cover the distance.

Free carts might be available inside international terminal (not outside).  I think Delta is now at Terminal 2.  The drive through is a mess.  It may take up to 45 minutes from start to finish.  Glad you decided to leave your flight as is.  Get to the airport and enjoy the wait rather than stress.  

39 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Free carts might be available inside international terminal (not outside).  I think Delta is now at Terminal 2.  The drive through is a mess.  It may take up to 45 minutes from start to finish.  

Maybe I used the wrong terminology..I meant buggies are available to transport passengers to the gates. Maybe you thought I meant luggage trolleys ???  I think the cost of luggage trolleys is outrageous..but that is another story!

Suppose traffic varies due to time of day..our experience was early morning and although Tom Bradley terminal was quite busy, it wasn’t at a standstill as we travelled through.

• Like 1

Find out the day before what deck for early departure in on usually decks 6 & 7 and get there early I was on the discovery last year out of San Pedro and my flight was at 11 am as well. Definitely do uber or taxi instead of princess transfer and having clear or pre check helps too.

S

A taxi is best.  The driver will know shortcuts in case there is a traffic backup on the freeway.  (An accident can turn the road into a parking lot for a long time.  I think my personal record for being stuck in a traffic jam was 2 hours and 20 minutes.)  The road around the airport itself can be a dead standstill or, if you're lucky, a crawl.  A good taxi driver will know how to get through the jam with minimal time loss.  A tip is to go to the arrivals level and take the escalator up to the departures level.  You might miss some of the overflow TSA lines that way. But you will still have to go through the checkpoint.   (I stress this method is risky.)

LAX is my home international airport, and I have been a frequent victim since 1967.  It's hell on earth, and a good taxi driver who knows the place will be your best bet.

• Like 1

I disembarked Discovery Princess on April 15, my flight was also changed to an 11:05am departure from LAX.  I did the self-assist early walk-off.  We were delayed getting off the ship by about 30 minutes, disembarked promptly at 8:00am (vs 7:30). I immediately proceeded through the pier terminal and immigration, and then to the taxi stand located outside the terminal.  I waited less than 5 minutes for a cab, and arrived at LAX at 8:45am.  I would only suggest doing this if you can do the early walk-off option.