Sapphire (& Diamond?) D736/737 review with photos.

HaveDogWillTravel

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

HaveDogWillTravel was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Sapphire (& I believer her sister Diamond) have two mini suites….last aft both port and starboard that were recategorized as B4 balconies. There were fitted out as ADA but when they didn’t meet all requirements for that they were recategorized. Long story short they are 354 sq ft with a huge balcony fir an absolute great price.

The reviews and photos I found were all pretty old so I booked D736 sapphire princess on a wing and a prayer. I am extremely happy with what I found when I walked into my room!  I’ll post lots of photos but I’m at sea so it may have to wait till I have cell phone service in Alaska. 

While the room description says you cannot convert the twins to a queen I asked my steward (showing him some old pictures from @JF - retired RRT hope I quoted the right person my apologies if I’m wrong) to do it and he obliged. YMMV. 

If you have questions please ask as I’m here for 10 more days. 

• Like 5

That’s the only shelf space you get in the bathroom. 
there are three lamps with that USB connector in it. I can’t use them as my newer iPad and iPhone use the smaller type. I can only find the one outlet by the hairdryer on the desk. Do the European adapters I brought to utilize additional outlets are useless. Thank goodness I brought my extension cord too. If I find more outlets I’ll post later. 

IMG_2671.jpeg

IMG_2672.jpeg

IMG_2673.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisewkid said:

SO excited to be reading Alaska lives!  Especially from Sapphire!  Thank you & have a wonderful trip!

Would love to hear about weather & what folks are wearing.....  though scared to even ask about that!

There’s a live from for this sailing where people are posting. Ask over there and I’m sure you’ll get answers! 

2 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Sure looks comfortable.

And an interesting snippet regarding the "choke point".

I just don't understand their rationale in placing that chest in such an awkward location. 

What were they thinking?? 😵

I'd think the choke point is why it got mentioned in the OP that it's normally a twin room but their steward obliged in turning ti into a queen. One bed to either side of the room would leave plenty of passing space and the side of the 'chest' would act like a head board allowing the lamps to be at the head of the beds.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Super great review of this cabin.  So glad you are now retired and can get in all of your cruising voyages.

Thank you!  Off topic but I’ve been wanting to let you know I’m on the Crown for the Nov 26 run to Hawaii this year again. We just missed each other last time. When it gets closer let’s email and see if our schedules match up. 

1 minute ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thank you!  Off topic but I’ve been wanting to let you know I’m on the Crown for the Nov 26 run to Hawaii this year again. We just missed each other last time. When it gets closer let’s email and see if our schedules match up. 

There's a good possibility.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your excellent review and especially your helpful photos. I probably read those older posts as I was researching these staterooms not long ago. Based on what I'm seeing I believe this would work well for DH as he is disabled (not in a wheelchair, but does have mobility issues.) I would definitely use the twin bed set up, as he wouldn't deal well with those choke points. Will keep an eye out and may just try booking one of these sometime. Thanks again and enjoy Alaska!!

1 hour ago, portiemom said:

Thank you very much for your excellent review and especially your helpful photos. I probably read those older posts as I was researching these staterooms not long ago. Based on what I'm seeing I believe this would work well for DH as he is disabled (not in a wheelchair, but does have mobility issues.) I would definitely use the twin bed set up, as he wouldn't deal well with those choke points. Will keep an eye out and may just try booking one of these sometime. Thanks again and enjoy Alaska!!

You’re welcome. I’m always on the prowl for cabins (uncut diamonds) that are in a lower price category but have unique or extra features. I’m still on the fence about an entirely uncovered balcony so please consider your itinerary when choosing this cabin. For glacier bay today it was outstanding because we had beautiful (but cold) weather. In Hubbard glacier it was snowing and sleeting so while we used it for the views we got quite wet and cold (& happy as it was snowing and we are from an area with no snow ever). The 6 ft wide doors provide panoramic views even when you stay inside though!  I’ve got this cabin booked for 32 days to the South Pacific in 2025 and am still deciding if the balcony is going to work for me on that itinerary.  The cabin, hands down, awesome, awesome, awesome. 

There is a ramp both sides of the sliding door. I had the inner one removed (as it wasn’t nailed down lol) but your DH may find that feature helpful. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

30 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

You’re welcome. I’m always on the prowl for cabins (uncut diamonds) that are in a lower price category but have unique or extra features. I’m still on the fence about an entirely uncovered balcony so please consider your itinerary when choosing this cabin. For glacier bay today it was outstanding because we had beautiful (but cold) weather. In Hubbard glacier it was snowing and sleeting so while we used it for the views we got quite wet and cold (& happy as it was snowing and we are from an area with no snow ever). The 6 ft wide doors provide panoramic views even when you stay inside though!  I’ve got this cabin booked for 32 days to the South Pacific in 2025 and am still deciding if the balcony is going to work for me on that itinerary.  The cabin, hands down, awesome, awesome, awesome. 

There is a ramp both sides of the sliding door. I had the inner one removed (as it wasn’t nailed down lol) but your DH may find that feature helpful. 

Pick D736, as a little bit better view when in port, on the port side, on most of the port stops in the South Pacific.  You will get shade once the sun moves over.

Sailaways are great from Pago Pago and Moorea.  We did UBD’s during them.

Great pics!  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this post.  I just booked this for Alaska.  If it rains, I'll just go somewhere else!  Thanks again for the pix.  Oh and by the way, the original placement of the couch would have driven me bonkers.  I would have centered it on the wall (to view the TV).  I think you came up with a good idea to look outside.  We'll have to see.  I'm still tossed up about converting the beds to a queen, as I'm afraid of wacking my feet in the middle of the night I'll let hubby sleep on good side as I'm picking the room).  Who knows, if prices come down, I might splurge for a Vista, but until then....

• Like 1