MSC Seascape reviews on Cruisecritic are harsh...

9 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

There's more to this story, I think. I can't believe a cruise line would cancel you, put you on a different sailing and add 3 extra days, all with no explanation. Care to share?

14 night repo cruise from Egypt to Italy booked over a year in advance.

Booking disappeared from my bookings. Contacted TA and found out I am now sailing out of Jeddah on a 17 night cruise with a new booking number. No explanation.

Several months ago they added an extra day and a stop in Bari with no explanation.

Both times offer to cancel with no penalty was offered. I was in YC.

They only charged me dsc for 14 nights. They also changed my cabin each time.

In 2022 they did it also,except it was a different date and country of Embarkation. That was the seaview.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

mosiegirl, Please don't be unduly alarmed by the post after yours, warning of all the things that could go wrong.  That poster seems to be a magnet for mishaps, perhaps sparing most of the rest of us any negative experiences.

When is your friend's cruise, and on what ship?

If you, or friend, have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

her and her husband will be on the Seascape Sept 3-10 2023 - I am hoping someone can answer some of my friends questions?

22 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

thank you  🙂  Also.. they are going on the Seascape in Sept 3 2023 - can they arrive at the terminal at 10am even if their docs say to arrive at 2 or 3pm?

Edited by mosiegirl

35 minutes ago, mosiegirl said:

thank you  🙂  Also.. they are going on the Seascape in Sept 3 2023 - can they arrive at the terminal at 10am even if their docs say to arrive at 2 or 3pm?

Boarding probably won't begin until closer to noon but yes, as we're discussing in a different thread, just "get there when you get there". I've never had anyone ask to see my designated embarkation time. Don't point it out, don't ask anyone; just get in the queue.

Just now, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Boarding probably won't begin until closer to noon but yes, as we're discussing in a different thread, just "get there when you get there". I've never had anyone ask to see my designated embarkation time. Don't point it out, don't ask anyone; just get in the queue.

Just don’t complain if boarding takes forever. 

5 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Or does not start before 1 pm. Things in Miami may be different, but in many European ports this is the norm. While other European cruise lines do not start boarding before 3 or 3.30pm, MSC thankfully is more generous. 

13 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

14 night repo cruise from Egypt to Italy booked over a year in advance.

Booking disappeared from my bookings. Contacted TA and found out I am now sailing out of Jeddah on a 17 night cruise with a new booking number. No explanation.

Several months ago they added an extra day and a stop in Bari with no explanation.

Both times offer to cancel with no penalty was offered. I was in YC.

They only charged me dsc for 14 nights. They also changed my cabin each time.

In 2022 they did it also,except it was a different date and country of Embarkation. That was the seaview.

Thank you. Something doesn't quite add up here. It's not that I doubt you, but I can't fathom the "no explanation" part. I'm assuming you asked? When we were planning an MSC trip back in 2021, we originally booked a cruise on the Virtuosa sailing to Norway. However, MSC decided to reposition that ship to the UK after travel restrictions due to Covid were lifted. They replaced the Virtuosa with another ship (I forget which now, but that's irrelevant because MSC also changed the itinerary to skip Norway because the government there was still leery of passengers due to Covid). We didn't like the new itinerary so instead we moved our reservation to the Splendida sailing to Italy, Croatia and Greece. I think they did replace Kotor, Montenegro with Split, Croatia. In all the cases I've seen where cruise lines substitute ports, there's some reason given (civil unrest, outbreak of disease, local restrictions, etc.) I'm sorry your experience has been like that, but I feel like there's probably a good reason for the changes, even if you haven't been told what that reason is. Hopefully it won't sour you on future cruises with MSC.

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you. Something doesn't quite add up here. It's not that I doubt you, but I can't fathom the "no explanation" part. I'm assuming you asked? 

Operational reasons was the answer.

Bottom line was 3 free YC nights.

Then the Venice thing, so we get an extra day in Bari and get off in Trieste. So another free night.

I doubt the Venice explanation as the Splendida is home ported there.

I am used to MSC doing stupid things all the time. I let a TA deal with it, change my flights or whatever. I am retired so I have plenty of time to stay out on holiday.

29 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Operational reasons was the answer.

Bottom line was 3 free YC nights.

Then the Venice thing, so we get an extra day in Bari and get off in Trieste. So another free night.

I doubt the Venice explanation as the Splendida is home ported there.

I am used to MSC doing stupid things all the time. I let a TA deal with it, change my flights or whatever. I am retired so I have plenty of time to stay out on holiday.

Must be nice! 🙂 I'm still about 5 1/2 years from retirement, and hope to do more traveling once that happens. That's the other thing about cruising: when you work full time, it can be hard/impossible to do B2B cruises or 14 nighters. Those will definitely be on the schedule when I hang up my spurs. 😄

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I've got a MSC cruise coming up later this summer from Port Canaveral which I can drive to. I'll certainly plan to get there for the time slot MSC gives me because driving is within my control. Last year I had a MSC cruise from Kiel, Germany in which I arrived via several train connections from Amsterdam and then took the MSC bus to the ship. I got there when I got there because the train timings were not in my control. Your profile lists you as living in Canada so I'm going to guess you would fly to any MSC cruise. You're going to choose your flight based on convenience and price and weeks or months before MSC assigns their embarkation time to you at T-21 days. I highly doubt you wouldn't just get in line at the terminal when your ride gets you there, regardless of what MSC assigned to you.

30 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I've got a MSC cruise coming up later this summer from Port Canaveral which I can drive to. I'll certainly plan to get there for the time slot MSC gives me because driving is within my control. Last year I had a MSC cruise from Kiel, Germany in which I arrived via several train connections from Amsterdam and then took the MSC bus to the ship. I got there when I got there because the train timings were not in my control. Your profile lists you as living in Canada so I'm going to guess you would fly to any MSC cruise. You're going to choose your flight based on convenience and price and weeks or months before MSC assigns their embarkation time to you at T-21 days. I highly doubt you wouldn't just get in line at the terminal when your ride gets you there, regardless of what MSC assigned to you.

I fly. Yes. 
I have done a number of cruises with differing check in times. My last family cruise we had the last check in time, long after hotel check out. We followed it.

I don’t care if others don’t. But I repeatedly see the comments to just show up whenever (not just here). And then see numerous complains about long lines and long check in times. Part of that is due to people showing up out of their assigned time. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 11:48 AM, KKB said:

Stylist just sailed them w/ her DH.

Seasoned cruisers, mostly Carnival.

They weren't impressed with anything except the PI.

The spoke of the many rude passengers as I encountered on Divina in Feb.

What's the PI?

We were on Seascape for the 4/23 sailing in the Yacht Club. First time on MSC. People were friendly and the ship is very nice. We had some noise issues from the Yacht Club pool deck that woke us each night . I addressed it with the Yacht Club director on day 5 after I figured out it was not wind blowing the chairs at 2:30am. (concierge had suggested that). It was crew cleaning and moving loungers and tables while playing music in the middle of the night. He was upset about our experience and sent a bottle of tequila and a Seascape pewter model to our stateroom. We also had a problem with our shower not maintaining temperature. It would fluctuate hot ,lukewarm, almost scalding and back to hot. Plumber looked at it twice but it was not fixed. 

We've sailed on many different lines including NCL in the Haven which I couldn't help but compare this too. NCL has better food in terms of presentation and even flavor. The Yacht Club restaurant experience was good but the service was just lacking in spots. 

The fact that I didn't get to sleep through the night on any night due to noise really annoyed me. The shower experience too. We were not offered any compensation or future cruise credit and I've tried to call customer service twice but after waiting 45 min each time I gave up.

I can see why there is criticism here. MSC is close , but they need a little more polish and better attention to their food.

45 minutes ago, mluzzy1 said:

He was upset about our experience and sent a bottle of tequila

Reading such posts reinforces how lucky we have been choosing the 'right' cabin on any ship. Rule of thumb, choose a cabin surrounded by other cabins above and below, side to side and across the hall, with no adjoining doors in the cabin to cabins next door. Had the same problem on the Equinox on deck 12 with 'rolling thunder' from carts moving deck above at 5 am. Have the shower problem when showering and DW flushes the toilet (absolutely no consideration). Food is idiosyncratic and appreciate the smaller portions, never guilty ordering 2 starters, 2 entrees and 3 to 4 desserts, that way I am sure to find something I like every time. (It takes me 4-6 weeks to lose the weight I gain every cruise preparing for the next cruise). The Haven restaurant has the same menu every night. Took them 2 hours to prepare a standing order for DW of grilled chicken breast and one baked potato and could not have the same table or same waiters each evening. NCL no complimentary bottled water for suite guests.  If what happened to you happened to us on NCL we wouldn't use the future cruise credit and would look for another cruise line. We did and found MSC. 

PS Instead of tequila I bring earplugs, now, to help me sleep and bath in the shower.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Reading such posts reinforces how lucky we have been choosing the 'right' cabin on any ship. Rule of thumb, choose a cabin surrounded by other cabins above and below, side to side and across the hall, with no adjoining doors in the cabin to cabins next door. Had the same problem on the Equinox on deck 12 with 'rolling thunder' from carts moving deck above at 5 am. Have the shower problem when showering and DW flushes the toilet (absolutely no consideration). Food is idiosyncratic and appreciate the smaller portions, never guilty ordering 2 starters, 2 entrees and 3 to 4 desserts, that way I am sure to find something I like every time. (It takes me 4-6 weeks to lose the weight I gain every cruise preparing for the next cruise). The Haven restaurant has the same menu every night. Took them 2 hours to prepare a standing order for DW of grilled chicken breast and one baked potato and could not have the same table or same waiters each evening. NCL no complimentary bottled water for suite guests.  If what happened to you happened to us on NCL we wouldn't use the future cruise credit and would look for another cruise line. We did and found MSC. 

PS Instead of tequila I bring earplugs to help me sleep and bath in the shower.

After 46 cruises I would generally agree with you. We originally booked on deck 16 . We took the offer to upgrade to a grand suite which landed us in a room I didn't pick . That being said , what was going on there on deck 20 was inexcusable. Had I not gotten out of bed at 3am to see it for myself I wouldn't have believed it. This wasn't crew being careful because they are working over staterooms , this was poor management. The yacht club director admitted to it. And said it would be fixed. (but wasn't)

As far as the Haven , we've sailed that way 6 or 7 times. The menu changes twice a cruise however just about every item was very good to excellent. Our experience in the YC Restaurant was 50/50. The things that I thought would be easy(lobster tails, pork tenderloin and filet mignon ) were overcooked and dry. The risotto was great each night. Some of the presentations were amateur and actually not appealing in anyway and some were nicely done. We went back and looked at the food photos from our last experience on Bliss and compared. It was obvious when comparing the two. 

Of course every line has something someone doesn't like. I DID appreciate the beverage package with bottled water on MSC. We didn't appreciate that on demand movies in the YC were 10.00 and in the Haven free. Am I mistaken that water IS included in the beverage package in the Haven as well?

I will give MSC another try. The shower issue was an anomaly I'm sure and we will not expect no noise where would not expect it. I'll assume the worse and book elsewhere on the ship. Without those issues I would have walked away just saying they need to do better with the food(they do) . And thats fixable.

25 minutes ago, mluzzy1 said:

Am I mistaken that water IS included in the beverage package in the Haven as well?

Technically, the Haven doesn't include a drink package at all. I say "technically" because NCL allows Haven guests to purchase either Free at Sea or Free at Sea Plus just like everyone else on the ship and at ~$300/person for a 7 day the former is basically a no-brainer so I doubt many go without, especially in the Haven. Still, it is technically not a Haven benefit. Basic Free at Sea also does not include water, much to my frustration. Free at Sea Plus does, but it's a hefty upcharge. This is reasonable given the inclusions as the upgraded drink package lets you drink literally anything on the ship so far as I'm aware, but if you don't want to extra swanky spirits (or other Plus benefits), buying  it just for water doesn't make sense.

Also, just as an interesting side note, I had that exact same shower problem in our Haven suite. It also didn't drain well at all and you'd end up with water up to your ankles by the time you were done showering. It didn't bother me enough to make a fuss and absolutely did not detract from a wonderful Haven experience, but seems it can happen anywhere.

We are taking our first YC cruise in January and I am personally going in expecting to fall short of The Haven. That said, I'm also paying 1/3 of what I did for the Haven and I got immensely lucky with a last minute upgrade to even get the Haven for what I did so it would be a pleasant surprise for it to live up to the same standards and I'm just fine with that.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

I say "technically" because NCL allows Haven guests to purchase either Free at Sea or Free at Sea Plus just like everyone else on the ship and at ~$300/person for a 7 day the former is basically a no-brainer so I doubt many go without, especially in the Haven.

Taking the PBP as part of the Free At Sea promo will cost $152.60 per person for a 7 day cruise ($21.80 pppd). 

5 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Taking the PBP as part of the Free At Sea promo will cost $152.60 per person for a 7 day cruise ($21.80 pppd).

D'oh! I remembered $600 for our 14-day so that must have been total instead of per person. Even more of a no brainer than I thought then! Thanks for the correction. 🙂